Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Overdue October!

And now... on to toasters.

I'd posted my toaster's cord felt a little "toasty" last week, so I mentioned "new toaster" to Better-half thinking he'd just get online and research it to death, then present me with options.

No, he bought my birthday toaster.

I'd post an image of our old Toastmaster but it's not cooperating with me.  Anyway, the cord hasn't felt hot since last week so we probably didn't need a replacement.

But the new one should be arriving today.  I think this is the one he found.

Toaster

Guess I'll find out.  It's retro.  Like me.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

I hope your toaster last & you enjoy it.  I bought a toaster for my brother a year or two ago & the cord was heating up so much he threw it away.  I have a Welbilt toaster oven, I bought it from Service Merchandise  in 1999 or so, you cannot kill this thing. I toast bread, make muffins, scones, heat up food, you name it. 

I still have & use some pots & pans I bought from Service Merchandise too.  

I threw away another handbag I bought from Sharif.  They weren't cheap!  But the quality was so bad.  I never used one of them.  I bought  it & four months later, I took it out to use & the handle was cracking & the side pockets were cracking too.  

I just wasted money.  For the younger people I'm guessing they're used to poor quality, but for people like us who remember when you buy something & it lasted.  It's upsetting.  So add me to the grumpy crowd this morning.  

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

I recently donated two sets of king size fleece sheets, because they take up too much space.

@Caffeina

Careful!  Old sheets might just be something you want to hold on to.  It sounds like people are having trouble finding quality sheets these days.

I'll be finding out soon because sheets are one thing we actually need.  Next we'll be looking for towels that don't feel like sandpaper.

What's with all the cr@ppy materials?  Makes me think of my mother again.  She'd be in the stores feeling the fabric and grimace.  One word and she'd walk away: "Ersatz."

OMG!  The whole world is ersatz!

Not to worry @just bee. The sheets I'm keeping are older and better, and all 100% cotton. Regular cotton for warmer weather, flannel for cold, and jersey for in between.

Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:
  For the younger people I'm guessing they're used to poor quality, but for people like us who remember when you buy something & it lasted.  It's upsetting.  So add me to the grumpy crowd this morning.  

@kitty45

Welcome!  I'm enjoying my new persona: Angry old lady.  Try it -- you'll like it, too!

Our neighbors on either side of us are having their roofs replaced and the crew is finished with roof #1.

I have to say that maybe the neighbors should have given it a little more thought before they committed to Fly-By-Night Roofing Company.

I'm holding my breath because Better-half researched, interviewed and then chose the expensive guys.  This is all out of pocket so he's spending more than what I paid for my '84 AMC/Renault Alliance.

He has inspected the neighbor's roof and is mortified that there is no drip edge flashing.

How do you do a roof and bypass the flashing?  Now we're worried that we'll get the same cr@ppy roof but we'll be paying more for it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

Not to worry @just bee. The sheets I'm keeping are older and better, and all 100% cotton. Regular cotton for warmer weather, flannel for cold, and jersey for in between.

@Caffeina

Whew!  Good thinking!  I just realized that the blanket I've been using is from the '80s, too.  I'll probably be cremated in the thing.

Trusted Contributor

Happy Birthday @just bee !!  At least our weather in ABQ is almost perfect today!!

Honored Contributor

I need to say something remotely positive today before I start binge drinking.  I had a really wonderful apple experience this week.  BH brought home three Jazz apples (U.S. grown) and I had one at work the other night.

Jazz

I've had this variety before, but this particular apple was phenomenal.  Indescribably delicious.

Oh -- and I'm going to keep an eye open for the Orionid meteor shower tonight.  Unfortunately, I missed the Draconid shower a couple weeks ago -- totally spaced it out.  (No pun intended.)

Honored Contributor

@Suebdoo wrote:

Happy Birthday @just bee !!  At least our weather in ABQ is almost perfect today!!

@Suebdoo

Why, thank you!  I've received all my birthday emails and text messages from United Blood Services, my dentist, my optometrist and a variety of retailers -- I even got a package from a friend who's avoided me since the last election cycle.

I almost included a blurb about today's weather in my previous post.  Took the dog out for his walk and the temperature is just right.  It's cool and breezy and the sky is clear.  Lots of fall color, too.

We had a spectacular Balloon Fiesta.  I'm even thinking about checking out the Chinese Lantern Festival at the Fairgrounds.

How 'bout you?

Honored Contributor

This is pretty funny.  I’ve been thinking lately how much I miss kvetching to my mother, who always understood and commiserated so well.  

And I open this thread only to find that her spirit is alive and well and living in you all!😄

And Happy Birthday to a BEE-utiful little old lady, @just bee! 🍾🎉  I’m so anxious to hear the new toaster details...🍞

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

This is pretty funny.  I’ve been thinking lately how much I miss kvetching to my mother, who always understood and commiserated so well.  

And I open this thread only to find that her spirit is alive and well and living in you all!😄

And Happy Birthday to a BEE-utiful little old lady, @just bee! 🍾🎉  I’m so anxious to hear the new toaster details...🍞

@geezerette

Must be on the same wavelength again.  I'm sitting here watching old clips of Ruby Keeler in one of my mother's favorites: 42nd Street.

To Niag'ra in a sleeper,

There's no honeymoon that's cheaper,

And the train goes slow.

Ooh ooh ooh!

Off, we're gonna shuffle,

Shuffle off to Buffalo.

We all become our mothers eventually. Woman Wink