Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Never Again November!

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I was at the dentist today and picked up a magazine.  The article's author recommended a "health detox" program in Italy.  You go to this place and don't eat wheat, sugar, salt -- and whatever else we're not supposed to consume -- or drink alcohol for a few days.  A bargain at under $6300.

And it is if that's something that makes your life a better place.

Now if I were to go to Italy, this would not be practical because I'd be eating and drinking everything in sight. 

But then I can do that at home and pocket the $6300.  Put it towards dental work and X-rays. Woman Tongue

That’s ludicrous.  That’s what I’m supposed to be doing at home.  (As I stuff my face with pound cake.  Hey, gotta make sure those Christmas gifts are okay to give out.)  I’m supposed to go to Italy and not eat?!  And pay $6300 to do it?

@geezerette

They say, after three or four days of starvation and crippling headaches and fatigue, that your eyes and skin "brighten."

My eyes and skin would brighten just fine with a bowl of gelato under my nose.

Omgoodness, ROLLING ON THE FLOOR, @geezerette@just bee!!!!!

Hey, did someone say pound cake?

@aprilskies@just bee

Yes indeedy.

And now I am experiencing a crippling headache and fatigue.  But at least I’m not starving.  In fact, I’m stuffed.  See, I don’t have to pay $6300 and spend eight hours on a plane to Italy when I can kill myself just as easily at home.  And cheaper, too.

@geezerette  @aprilskies

Yeah.  If I'd stayed home and pounded down a cake Sunday morning instead of going for a nice healthy walk I wouldn't be sitting here looking like something that should have greeted trick-or-treaters on Halloween.

Gotta admit I like this wrist gauntlet.  As soon as my bones heal I'm going to get a pet falcon to complete the look.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

just bee wrote

@aprilskies@just bee

Yes indeedy.

And now I am experiencing a crippling headache and fatigue.  But at least I’m not starving.  In fact, I’m stuffed.  See, I don’t have to pay $6300 and spend eight hours on a plane to Italy when I can kill myself just as easily at home.  And cheaper, too.

Lol!!  Just yell “never again” and vow to to start clean tomorrow only to wake up and it is like ground hogs day. Just make sure the cookies are ready. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies@just bee

Yes indeedy.

@geezerette  @aprilskies

Yeah.  If I'd stayed home and pounded down a cake Sunday morning instead of going for a nice healthy walk I wouldn't be sitting here looking like something that should have greeted trick-or-treaters on Halloween.

Gotta admit I like this wrist gauntlet.  As soon as my bones heal I'm going to get a pet falcon to complete the look.

Wha, what??? ....and miss the opportunity to sport a fragrant scent??

Respected Contributor

So this morning I wore mu for the first time in months.  Yes I did.  I remembered why I like mu so much, I enjoy the process. And I enjoy my soft fluffy brushes. I think I might of even used to much powder Foundation. I couldn’t stop swirling. I really need to start making time for it in the morning.  One thing that dawned on me about my eyeshadows, beside one colorful palette, I have neutrals coming out of my ears. What was I thinking. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Lol!!  Just yell “never again” and vow to to start clean tomorrow only to wake up and it is like ground hogs day. Just make sure the cookies are ready. 

@aprilskies   @geezerette

You know, that's really not a bad idea.  A clean start.  In high school I picked up a postcard and stuck it on my closet door (under the painted wooden letters that spelled out "THE WHO").  It said:

Aujourd'hui est le premier jour du reste de ta vie.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

My French class went to some function somewhere and I saw it and bought it.  Sometimes I think I should put that up again so I can see it every day to remind myself.  Maybe I can find one in Italian.

But it's true.  Every day is an opportunity to change your life.  Sometimes that decision is made by someone else or by circumstances.  But sometimes we can actually have something to do with it.

Oggi è il primo giorno del resto della tua vita.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Wha, what??? ....and miss the opportunity to sport a fragrant scent??

@aprilskies

That was one of those moments when you find yourself sitting alone wondering:

Is someone trying to tell me something?

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

So this morning I wore mu for the first time in months.  Yes I did.  I remembered why I like mu so much, I enjoy the process. And I enjoy my soft fluffy brushes. I think I might of even used to much powder Foundation. I couldn’t stop swirling. I really need to start making time for it in the morning.  One thing that dawned on me about my eyeshadows, beside one colorful palette, I have neutrals coming out of my ears. What was I thinking. 

@aprilskies

Well, this is just fascinating.  I haven't worn makeup in the past few days but I don't feel weird about it because my face is hamburger and no one is going to notice my lack of mascara.  Now I have a temporary crown in a color that I wished represented my teeth.  It doesn't help that I drink black tea every day but let's face it: I have 58 year-old teeth.  I just don't have that Pepsodent smile anymore.

What is it like, @aprilskies,  to go without makeup?

I mean, it's got to be a major timesaver, right?  That means extra sleep, time for breakfast and an extra cup of caffeine, and extra cash. 

I fantasize about it but I don't think I'm ready for it.  I know I'm ready for less of it but I don't know if I can let it go completely.

I thought you were still wearing makeup but just enough to "get out the door."  Good grief, woman -- what was that like?

Sometimes I think that if I didn't wear makeup to work someone would take my pulse.

BH thinks I'm ridiculous.  He asked me yesterday, "Do you really think anyone notices stuff like that?"

He has a point.

What makes the difference for you?  You mention the ritual.  Smokers say that's why they have trouble quitting -- they miss the ritual, the choreography.

I like the transformative aspect.

Discuss!  Discuss!

Honored Contributor

What am I talking about?

I'm going to find out soon enough what going without makeup is like because there's no way I'm going to attempt application with my left hand.

I envision another trip to the ER. 

"So... tell me how the mascara wand ended up stuck in your eye?"

Contributor

@just bee  I just was catching up on reading and I'm sorry to hear about your accident.  See what exercise will do to ya? 

Actually I meet my girlfriend every Saturday morning at a local park to walk and talk about our week.  We bring our dogs.  Well last year I lost my beloved golden retriever and I haven't taken my new dog yet (another story).  But my girlfriend has 3 dogs and she usually takes just 1 to walk.  She told me that this Saturday she is going to bring 2 dogs and she wants me to walk 1 of them.  I can just imagine this is an accident waiting to happen.  Oh and the dog I'll be walking.........a 2 year old great dane.  I hope the squirrels stay hidden!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@DelaRose wrote:

@just bee  I just was catching up on reading and I'm sorry to hear about your accident.  See what exercise will do to ya? 

Actually I meet my girlfriend every Saturday morning at a local park to walk and talk about our week.  We bring our dogs.  Well last year I lost my beloved golden retriever and I haven't taken my new dog yet (another story).  But my girlfriend has 3 dogs and she usually takes just 1 to walk.  She told me that this Saturday she is going to bring 2 dogs and she wants me to walk 1 of them.  I can just imagine this is an accident waiting to happen.  Oh and the dog I'll be walking.........a 2 year old great dane.  I hope the squirrels stay hidden!!!!!

@DelaRose

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your retriever!  And I want the new dog story.

First of all, I think your weekly meeting is a great idea.  Talk about therapeutic!  Second, I think it's also a great idea to walk one of her dogs.  My only concern is for the third dog who is left behind.  And, of course, your own dog.  There's definitely some backstory here.  Not up to speed yet on the leash?  Crazed baby killer?

Did you take a spill when you were walking a dog?  Years ago, I picked up my previous dogs at doggie daycare after work and they saw a rabbit.  I was wearing heels and a skirt and ended up pruning the facility's pine tree with my face.  (Seems to be a theme here.)

Remember: There is nothing like a Dane.  Sure, many of them stay puppies until the day they die, but others can be thoughtful and cautious.  What is this one like?  Discuss your concerns with your friend and find out if she's okay with you dropping the leash at the first sign of rodent.

That's one of the worst things about this accident.  I'm tentative about walking the dog.  I can't take him out by myself, but I can at least walk when Better-half takes him out.  But I still feel wobbly and don't trust myself.  When you're extra-cautious you're just asking for trouble.

I was just reading an essay that's one of my absolute favorites.  I'll post it here for you.