Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Never Again November!

New products, first impressions:

Lumene Glow Reveal 60 Second Facial

Lumene

Huge tube!  I don't know if this is an older version of the product because Lumene's website features much different packaging.  And a smaller tube.

Can't really say much at this point because I used it in the shower and my face wasn't completely dry when I applied it.  Need to try it with a dry face.  Couldn't make out a scent.  Smelled like butter.  Like I said, have to try this one again.  But it looks like something I'll like.

Burt's Bees lip balms:

c & p

Interesting flavor.  Something I can stick in a pocket.  Need to further analyze the flavor and see how well the formula works.

Burt's Bees tinted lip balms:

As the reviews pointed out, the company tampered with the formula and they taste weird.  I tossed my rancid balm when these arrived and now I'm wondering if I should dig it out of the trash.

But there is some color.  Need more time to evaluate.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I received another of those Dermstore emails that features articles from the Dermstore Blog.  This one lists the nine best moisturizers for dry skin (and every budget).  Or so they say.  The moisturizers start at $29 (La Roche-Posay Toleriane Riche, 1.35 fl oz.) and the most expensive is $175 (Luzern Laboratories Force de Vie Creme Intensive, 2 fl oz.).  Even $29 seems steep to me. 

When I read the ingredient lists I can't help think of my mother who told me about her "crazy" aunt -- the one who would sit at the kitchen table every night and rub olive oil all over herself.  She had amazing skin. 

Does everyone have what they need for winter?  Or are you still looking for something to help you get through it?

I’m good. I recently switched SPF/moisturizer, lucked out and find it actually will work for me.  So I’ve gotten off all of Paula’s Choice products now.  And I am currently trying out Josie Maran’s Argan Milk under my moisturizer at night.  It works good right now, but I don’t think I’ll need it for the warmer and more humid weather.  I want to use it for a while and see if I can actually see a difference in my skin in order to warrant using another product other than the moisturizer.  I do not want to get sucked back into using a half-dozen products every day, especially when any topical improvement in my skin is negligible anyway.

I’m expecting another warmer than normal winter here, if our weather up til now is any indication.  Temps have been fluctuating so much that the furnace will be on, then a few hours later we need the a/c.  Not fun for the sinuses.  Or the skin.

Respected Contributor

I havent gotten or opened any of my new stuff yet so I think I will open what I did get this weekend and am keeping my fingers crossed that it works for me. I was going to hold off until it got colder but I need some "skin" help now. 

I think this conversation was recently mentioned by a couple of you but it became clear this morning that I should never ever stock up on things again, at least one type of thing. I have so much powder foundation that I have to get through. And it is not that I dont like it, I prefer it over liquid, however, it just looks powdery and/or is it my skin?  I think I need to fix my skin issues first.  However, this is just another lesson not to stock up on things.  Skin, tastes, things change.

Dont even get me started on my hair.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I received another of those Dermstore emails that features articles from the Dermstore Blog.  This one lists the nine best moisturizers for dry skin (and every budget).  Or so they say.  The moisturizers start at $29 (La Roche-Posay Toleriane Riche, 1.35 fl oz.) and the most expensive is $175 (Luzern Laboratories Force de Vie Creme Intensive, 2 fl oz.).  Even $29 seems steep to me. 

When I read the ingredient lists I can't help think of my mother who told me about her "crazy" aunt -- the one who would sit at the kitchen table every night and rub olive oil all over herself.  She had amazing skin. 

Does everyone have what they need for winter?  Or are you still looking for something to help you get through it?

I’m good. I recently switched SPF/moisturizer, lucked out and find it actually will work for me.  So I’ve gotten off all of Paula’s Choice products now.  And I am currently trying out Josie Maran’s Argan Milk under my moisturizer at night.  It works good right now, but I don’t think I’ll need it for the warmer and more humid weather.  I want to use it for a while and see if I can actually see a difference in my skin in order to warrant using another product other than the moisturizer.  I do not want to get sucked back into using a half-dozen products every day, especially when any topical improvement in my skin is negligible anyway.

I’m expecting another warmer than normal winter here, if our weather up til now is any indication.  Temps have been fluctuating so much that the furnace will be on, then a few hours later we need the a/c.  Not fun for the sinuses.  Or the skin.

@geezerette

I was toying with the idea of ending my relationship with Paula but I still do like her facial cleansers.  If I stock a couple when there's a sale, a little still goes a very long way.

I was considering argan oil since my hair is now so short, but I haven't committed to anything.  It just gets so dry here.  It's been unseasonably pleasant but temps should start dropping tomorrow.  Every year we play the game of how-long-can-we-go-without-turning-on-the-heater(or a/c)?

Maybe I'll hide out here before the fisticuffs erupt on Community Chat...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I havent gotten or opened any of my new stuff yet so I think I will open what I did get this weekend and am keeping my fingers crossed that it works for me. I was going to hold off until it got colder but I need some "skin" help now. 

I think this conversation was recently mentioned by a couple of you but it became clear this morning that I should never ever stock up on things again, at least one type of thing. I have so much powder foundation that I have to get through. And it is not that I dont like it, I prefer it over liquid, however, it just looks powdery and/or is it my skin?  I think I need to fix my skin issues first.  However, this is just another lesson not to stock up on things.  Skin, tastes, things change.

Dont even get me started on my hair.

@aprilskies

I'm trying to be consistent with the Lumene and so far, so good.  It really hasn't been so bad without makeup but I do have one concern.  One of the reasons I stick with CC cream is that it has some skincare and sun protection benefits.  Going without a "protective layer" in the NM sun isn't the best idea.  And I still can't smear an SPF on myself.

Maybe powder isn't your best option during the winter.  At this point I don't think I could ever go back to it.

I'd be ripping open those boxes right now.

Se7en

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

I’ve only used Bare Minerals original powder foundation for years.  I never liked liquid and cream was always too greasy for me.  And I’ve tried a zillion different brands over the years because I hate foundation in the first place, and I’m lousy at applying it in the second place.  

But over the last couple of years, once my skin started drying out a little, the powder just doesn’t cut it anymore.  It looks dry and flaky for hours after application until my skin finally can manage to produce a little bit of oil, then it looks fine.  I tried a couple of other foundations since then, but for one reason or another didn’t like them.  So I just gave up on foundation, as well as most other “makeup”.  I just use a touch of concealer on the really bad spots and a bit of tinted lip balm (only because my lips are normally dry), and if the rest of the world doesn’t like my face, they can kiss my...pinky finger.

One of the benefits of getting old is you don’t care about a lot of things that used to be so important in your life.  But then, I don’t have a job that I have to consider either.  I don’t think I could go to work bare-faced.

Honored Contributor

@just bee

For me, Paula’s Choice was much like philosophy—good in the beginning, then later, not so much.  I’m not sure if, in the case of both, whether the products changed (which they did), or I changed (which I did).  I started using many of Paula’s products, then just like philosophy, dwindled down to just one, although I think I technically still use two philosophy products.  I was waiting to see her new SPF/moisturizer for dry skin, but it turned out to be a chemical sunscreen, which I don’t use anymore because of sensitivity. 

I’m glad to have another company I can write off my product list.  I like to be able to keep my ordering to as few sites/companies as possible.  It makes life so much simpler for me now.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies

I’ve only used Bare Minerals original powder foundation for years.  I never liked liquid and cream was always too greasy for me.  And I’ve tried a zillion different brands over the years because I hate foundation in the first place, and I’m lousy at applying it in the second place.  

But over the last couple of years, once my skin started drying out a little, the powder just doesn’t cut it anymore.  It looks dry and flaky for hours after application until my skin finally can manage to produce a little bit of oil, then it looks fine.  I tried a couple of other foundations since then, but for one reason or another didn’t like them.  So I just gave up on foundation, as well as most other “makeup”.  I just use a touch of concealer on the really bad spots and a bit of tinted lip balm (only because my lips are normally dry), and if the rest of the world doesn’t like my face, they can kiss my...pinky finger.

One of the benefits of getting old is you don’t care about a lot of things that used to be so important in your life.  But then, I don’t have a job that I have to consider either.  I don’t think I could go to work bare-faced.

@geezerette

Huzzah!  There are a LOT of things I wouldn't do if I didn't have a job.  And then there are a lot of things I would do!  That's what's frustrating about being home right now.  I could be getting projects done but I'm not able to do most of what I want to do.

If I didn't have a job I'd shave my head again.  I'd shred all my school papers.  I'd go on a long road trip.  I'd return to the local literacy group and tutor ESL students again.

Wasn't bareMinerals the bomb?  I didn't start wearing foundation regularly until I discovered it -- and that was in my late 30s.  It was so easy, so dependable.

Sigh.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

For me, Paula’s Choice was much like philosophy—good in the beginning, then later, not so much.  I’m not sure if, in the case of both, whether the products changed (which they did), or I changed (which I did).  I started using many of Paula’s products, then just like philosophy, dwindled down to just one, although I think I technically still use two philosophy products.  I was waiting to see her new SPF/moisturizer for dry skin, but it turned out to be a chemical sunscreen, which I don’t use anymore because of sensitivity. 

I’m glad to have another company I can write off my product list.  I like to be able to keep my ordering to as few sites/companies as possible.  It makes life so much simpler for me now.

@geezerette

I hear ya! Woman LOL

Contributor

Stocking up is my downfall.  When I do find something I really like, I feel the need to stockpile it.  You're right though.  Then I find another latest and greatest item and the stuff I stockpiled just sits.  Or like you said I have changes in skin or whatever and then the item doesn't work for me.  The one thing I have done is kind of combine products.  Like I use a liquid foundation applied lightly and then use a powder foundation lightly over it.  It works pretty well and I can use up more products. 

I did get a few of my new It Cosmetics purchases in the mail this week.  I am having my husband give them to me for xmas.  So I'm not going to open now.  I'll try them out after the holidays and see how it goes.