Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Never Again November!

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies

“comfortable dress shoes”—isn’t that an oxymoron?

And good luck finding some that don’t cost $300.  Between my back, hips and feet, I now have two styles of shoes I wear.  I can get away with Birkenstocks around the house.  But for walking and going out, I can only stand one style of Finn Comfort—at $360 a pair.  I have one pair for summer, one pair for winter, and when those get a little worn or scuffed they become my walking shoes.  I also have custom orthotics I wear in my Muck boots, at about $340 a pop.  

I haven’t worn dress shoes in so long that if I have to go to a wedding or funeral, I guess I’ll end up going barefoot.

@geezerette

@aprilskies

I went to a California university where Birkenstocks were the law.  I never owned a pair.  I refused.  Decades later, when I blew out my knee and QVC was selling them, I stocked up.  Haven't worn them in ages and I don't know why.  Might be because of those hiking boots I was talking about in the previous post.

I support well-made shoes.  As I've said a million times before, my Italian grandfather always said that all a person needs in life is good food, a good mattress and a good pair of shoes.

I don't know if Alegrias are "good" shoes, but just this week a coworker who has been admiring mine finally went to their website and ordered a pair of boots (on sale, of course).  She can't get over how comfortable they are.  She didn't particularly like the style or the color, but she ordered them and now she doesn't want to take them off.

After wearing cheap athletic shoes and being on my feet for 12 hours working as a tech, I gave in and bought "real" shoes.  When your feet hurt, your whole body hurts.

@aprilskies

Alegria sells heels, wedges and pumps, too.  Alegriashoeshopdotcom. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@DelaRose wrote:

I have been reading this forum for a while.  COUNT ME IN!!!!!

I can totally relate to what you are saying.  I've purchased so much stuff (online especially) that I have donated it before the bill even hits my mailbox because i just don't want to deal with the hassle of a return.  Last Christmas I did most of my purchases online.  I will NOT be doing that this year.  More than half of the purchases that I made if I would have saw them in the store I would have passed them by seeing the color and feeling the material.  Also, when I'm in a store I would never buy as much as I do online because I couldn't possibly carry all the purchases.  I guess I'm going against what the new generation is doing, but I'm going BACK to the stores.

@DelaRose

Welcome!

What took you so long? Woman LOL

As you can see, we still struggle with this.  But learning is a process...

Seriously, feeling the material makes a difference.  What are they using to make clothes these days?

Visit often!  This is such a nice place to vent. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@DelaRose wrote:

I have been reading this forum for a while.  COUNT ME IN!!!!!

I can totally relate to what you are saying.  I've purchased so much stuff (online especially) that I have donated it before the bill even hits my mailbox because i just don't want to deal with the hassle of a return.  Last Christmas I did most of my purchases online.  I will NOT be doing that this year.  More than half of the purchases that I made if I would have saw them in the store I would have passed them by seeing the color and feeling the material.  Also, when I'm in a store I would never buy as much as I do online because I couldn't possibly carry all the purchases.  I guess I'm going against what the new generation is doing, but I'm going BACK to the stores.

@DelaRose

Welcome!

What took you so long? Woman LOL

As you can see, we still struggle with this.  But learning is a process...

Seriously, feeling the material makes a difference.  What are they using to make clothes these days?

Visit often!  This is such a nice place to vent. Woman Wink

@just bee

Tissue paper, I think.  I ordered some flannel shirts the other day because the ones I found in the store were so thin.  I got them (twice the price as I had been looking at, even on sale) and they were almost see-through!  I ordered some others from another place and they were somewhat thicker but still nothing to write home about and of course more expensive.

When did flannel become summer wear?  My ancient sheets are still warmer than these new shirts!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

Tissue paper, I think.  I ordered some flannel shirts the other day because the ones I found in the store were so thin.  I got them (twice the price as I had been looking at, even on sale) and they were almost see-through!  I ordered some others from another place and they were somewhat thicker but still nothing to write home about and of course more expensive.

When did flannel become summer wear?  My ancient sheets are still warmer than these new shirts!

@geezerette

And speaking of sheets...

What the heck happened to the price of sheets?  Better-half ordered sheets online this week.  We haven't needed sheets in decades because for some reason I stocked a closet with them.

When he told me what he paid for sheets I dang near had a stroke.  Then he told me what Costco was charging.  In disbelief, I went online to compare prices on sheets.

I ended up on that site that sells the sheets that three former Presidents supposedly use.  Clearly they can afford them!

I remember the flannel sheets my parents bought in the '70s.  Again, cast iron.  Thick, soft -- and the colors held up in the wash!  In use for decades!

With all the technology and know-how, why are we producing cr@p?

Honored Contributor

So there

Couldn't resist.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

So there

Couldn't resist.

@just bee

How did you find that video of me?!  🤣🤣

😋😜😝😛

Honored Contributor

Ha!

@geezerette

I'm not tellin'.

Honored Contributor

Incidentally...

How is your princess?

Honored Contributor

@just bee

Princess?  Oh, you mean the monster dog.

Actually, she’s doing very well.  It seems like when she hit the two-year mark, almost overnight everything that we’ve been trying to beat into that thick skull of hers finally took hold.  She still has her moments—chasing the cat continues to be a weakness—but on the whole she’s almost like a different dog.  

A much better different dog.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

Princess?  Oh, you mean the monster dog.

Actually, she’s doing very well.  It seems like when she hit the two-year mark, almost overnight everything that we’ve been trying to beat into that thick skull of hers finally took hold.  She still has her moments—chasing the cat continues to be a weakness—but on the whole she’s almost like a different dog.  

A much better different dog.

@geezerette

Far Side

The day will come when she won't be able to chase the kitty and it'll break your heart.  Maybe she's just trying to help with your cat's fitness program.

That's the thing about dogs.  They do improve with age.  And when they reach perfection... I can't bear to think about it.