Honored Contributor

ComPact 2017 – Never Again November!

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Never Again November!

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

HEP

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking.  It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”

― Albert Einstein

Never Again November is for those who recognize that they have turned the corner and refuse to go back.

What will change this month for you?

Honored Contributor

@just beeI didn't know about the Compact -  but I'm in!   Three years ago, I had decided to use up my Chaz stash before ordering more Wen.  Then 2 years ago in June, I made the mistake of watching and bought another scent in a kit and started all over!  I have now opened the last of any Wen already in my possession and I'm committed to using that up before even watching a Wen show.

My next target is bigger -  I'm working on clothes.  This is a good time of the year for me to do that because everything new in the stores is winter and I'm in southern Florida where the temperatures for a while are still expected to be in the 80's.  Not much temptation at all to shop.  Still, I'm resigned that this could be another 3-year project.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@just beeI didn't know about the Compact -  but I'm in!   Three years ago, I had decided to use up my Chaz stash before ordering more Wen.  Then 2 years ago in June, I made the mistake of watching and bought another scent in a kit and started all over!  I have now opened the last of any Wen already in my possession and I'm committed to using that up before even watching a Wen show.

My next target is bigger -  I'm working on clothes.  This is a good time of the year for me to do that because everything new in the stores is winter and I'm in southern Florida where the temperatures for a while are still expected to be in the 80's.  Not much temptation at all to shop.  Still, I'm resigned that this could be another 3-year project.

@millieshops

Welcome!

One step at a time.  Clothes are probably one of the biggest projects for most of us, and, for me at least, one that is ongoing.  And something that you want to take your time with and be sure that you are willing to part with and not miss when it’s gone.  Besides, it took you longer to accumulate your wardrobe than just three years (I’m assuming), so don’t be in a rush to pare down too much too soon.

I hate to tell you this, and perhaps you already know, but Chaz has a WEN TSV November 28.  And word has it, a new product or two as well.  Temptation, temptation!😋

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@millieshops

Welcome!

The Compact has been around for a really long time and we're all still working at it.

Like you, clothes will be my next project.  There's a thread on the Fashion forum -- you've probably seen it:

The Project: Curating MacDuff's Closet.

I have a lot of clothes but wear very few of the items in my closets.  It's time to prune.

Like @geezerette  says, we didn't create the problem overnight so we shouldn't expect it to magically disappear.  Takes time to develop a new habit.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Welcome, Millieshops.  Good luck with your decluttering.  It does feel good when we clear things out.  Keep us updated on your journey. I always appreciate reading the stories. It keeps me motivated in my decluttering as well.  

I am so glad it is the start of a brand new month.  It just feels like a fresh start. This month my goals are no beauty at all and only essential groceries.  I have to stay away from all things beauty.  Eyeshadow palettes are starting to call my name and that really is the last thing I need. All those pretty colors are putting me in a trance.  Aprilskies, aprilskies, come to meeeee....

Instead, I am going to put my energy in finding comfortable dress shoes for work. I dont find many dressy comfortable pumps.  I think they forgot how to make these and I am not willing to pay 300 bucks on a pair either.   Maybe it is just my feet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

Welcome, Millieshops.  Good luck with your decluttering.  It does feel good when we clear things out.  Keep us updated on your journey. I always appreciate reading the stories. It keeps me motivated in my decluttering as well.  

I am so glad it is the start of a brand new month.  It just feels like a fresh start. This month my goals are no beauty at all and only essential groceries.  I have to stay away from all things beauty.  Eyeshadow palettes are starting to call my name and that really is the last thing I need. All those pretty colors are putting me in a trance.  Aprilskies, aprilskies, come to meeeee....

Instead, I am going to put my energy in finding comfortable dress shoes for work. I dont find many dressy comfortable pumps.  I think they forgot how to make these and I am not willing to pay 300 bucks on a pair either.   Maybe it is just my feet.

@aprilskies

“comfortable dress shoes”—isn’t that an oxymoron?

And good luck finding some that don’t cost $300.  Between my back, hips and feet, I now have two styles of shoes I wear.  I can get away with Birkenstocks around the house.  But for walking and going out, I can only stand one style of Finn Comfort—at $360 a pair.  I have one pair for summer, one pair for winter, and when those get a little worn or scuffed they become my walking shoes.  I also have custom orthotics I wear in my Muck boots, at about $340 a pop.  

I haven’t worn dress shoes in so long that if I have to go to a wedding or funeral, I guess I’ll end up going barefoot.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

comfortable dress shoes”—isn’t that an oxymoron?

And good luck finding some that don’t cost $300.  Between my back, hips and feet, I now have two styles of shoes I wear.  I can get away with Birkenstocks around the house.  But for walking and going out, I can only stand one style of Finn Comfort—at $360 a pair.  I have one pair for summer, one pair for winter, and when those get a little worn or scuffed they become my walking shoes.  I also have custom orthotics I wear in my Muck boots, at about $340 a pop.  

I haven’t worn dress shoes in so long that if I have to go to a wedding or funeral, I guess I’ll end up going barefoot.

Yes, it sure is. 

I know, I know, ugh.  I have been trying to avoid. I keep telling myself that I will buy a couple of expensive pairs and then balk,  I have stopped buying expensive handbags and shoes a long time ago because I am so hard on them.  But, yes, I must bite the bullet.  

Lol, Shouldnt the bride should be the belle of the ball?

Honored Contributor

There are so many things that I need to “Never Again”. But I suppose the most all-encompassing is not to discount my intuition/instinct/inner voice. I have been thinking of this for some time now regarding other things, but it can be applied to the Compact in so many ways too.

More times than not, I already know that I shouldn’t really buy/do/eat/drink that “whatever”, but I ignore that little voice inside me and buy/do/eat/drink anyway. And most of those times, I end up regretting I did. (Admittedly, occasionally that little voice is wrong, but not often.)

Which then leads to the enabler, “But You Can Always Send It Back” devil. True, but the time and effort, and sometimes money, that takes has become too detrimental in my life. And many times, the idea of going through all that is overwhelming at the time, so I tell myself that I will make do with “whatever” even though it’s not really what I wanted. And then, of course, I don’t really like it so it gets tucked behind something in a closet so I can pretend it’s gone and then months (or years) later I drag it out and either throw it away or donate it. I’ve donated so many things I’ve never even used that it would be much easier and cheaper just to donate cash.

So, “Never Again” do I want to buy something that I start off thinking I can send back. If I think that way before I even have the item, surely it’s bound to only go downhill from there.

Now if I can only get those last Christmas gifts returned for the ones I should have gotten in the first place...

😩🤗😏😋😁