Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Never Again November!

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

And the onslaught is soon to begin...Tuesday before Thanksgiving, then the day before Thanksgiving, then Thanksgiving, then...

RESIST!

@geezerette

I say we stay home, stuff our faces with traditional holiday food and watch old movies.

@just bee

Sounds good to me, but then, that’s what I normally do anyway.

@geezerette

I normally work the holiday so this will be the first Thanksgiving off in some time.  Something to be thankful for even though my normal rate of consumption will be slightly impaired by the loss of a dominant hand and a new tooth.  But I have to make sure it works, right?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Sherrilz wrote:

I found a new thing that is tempting me. A few places are offering you reward dollars if you buy a certain amount of gift cards.  Now I think I could find gift cards that I could use as gifts for the holidays, but I don't really need any.  It's the rewards dollars that are tempting me.  So things like Kohls cash, Old Navy cash and other similar tempt me to purchase more.  I'm a sucker for markting ploys.

@Sherrilz

Aren't we all?

Think hard about it before you decide.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Sherrilz wrote:

I found a new thing that is tempting me. A few places are offering you reward dollars if you buy a certain amount of gift cards.  Now I think I could find gift cards that I could use as gifts for the holidays, but I don't really need any.  It's the rewards dollars that are tempting me.  So things like Kohls cash, Old Navy cash and other similar tempt me to purchase more.  I'm a sucker for markting ploys.

@Sherrilz

Aren't we all?

Think hard about it before you decide.

@Sherrilz@just bee,  I agree, think hard before buying them.  It would be one thing if you needed them, then great deal, but if you dont, you will only be spending money to save a few bucks on things you didnt need in the first place.  So, in actuality, you will be losing money, not saving.

Believe me, I fall for these things all the time and afterwards I have one of those "what was I thinking" moments. My only problem is I keep falling for the schemes. 

Just recently, I bought kits of skincare products thinking what a great deal it is because it is at a good discount as opposed to buying the items individually.  But, when I got these things home and started thinking, if I break these items down, I would have never spent the money on them even at the discounted price.  So, in the end, what did I save?  And especially if I end up loving them, the last thing I need is another expensive brand that I am researching. I never would have thought I would try Kate Somerville, just too expensive.  But, I just received the kit the other day. I hope I dont love it. LOL.

It is so crazy how badly sales and discounts and limited editions get to us.  Add in a spending addiction and it is goodnight, louise.  The only thing I would change is, I would take back my purchases on skincare and focus more on rounding out the wardrobe. At least I wouldnt have to worry about things expiring.

Stay strong ladies. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Just recently, I bought kits of skincare products thinking what a great deal it is because it is at a good discount as opposed to buying the items individually.  But, when I got these things home and started thinking, if I break these items down, I would have never spent the money on them even at the discounted price.  So, in the end, what did I save?  And especially if I end up loving them, the last thing I need is another expensive brand that I am researching. I never would have thought I would try Kate Somerville, just too expensive.  But, I just received the kit the other day. I hope I dont love it. LOL.

It is so crazy how badly sales and discounts and limited editions get to us.  Add in a spending addiction and it is goodnight, louise.  The only thing I would change is, I would take back my purchases on skincare and focus more on rounding out the wardrobe. At least I wouldnt have to worry about things expiring.

Stay strong ladies. 

@aprilskies

Excellent point!  We don't think twice about purchasing something when it's on sale but how often do we stop and ask ourselves:

What if I like this?  Am I willing to pay full price for this thing when I need it?

It's why I don't want to try so many of the items that are discussed on this forum.  I don't want to pay $65 for a foundation or $30 for mascara.

Contributor

The last two points are dead on.   I actually love some of the drugstore stuff I use.  But I'm always tempted by new products thinking they will be miracles. 

My current go tos from the drugstore are :

Covergirl outlast 3 in 1 fabulous foundation.  I apply with real techniques sponge (although I love the Beauty Blender more, but too pricey) and I get a great finish.

Maybelline Great lash mascara -waterproof Black in pink and green tube.  I've tried so many.  This a great everyday mascara,  I don't need huge lashes.  Just nice, dark and longer ones.  It doesn't clump like others either.

Maybelline unstoppable eyeliner in a dark grey. Wear's great!  I don't love some of the prestige brands because they are too think.

I have a bunch of drugstore eyeshadows that are great too.  I do ofter use my prestige brand palletts thought because they are easy and accessible. But I don't really think that they are that much better.

For setting powder.  I do love using Laura Geller Balance and Brighten the best.  But I have others that work pretty well.  Covergirl outlast powder and Rimmel stay matter are good dupes.

Lips,  My favorite lip product is Revlon Colorstay balm stain.  I combine the colors Honey and Redevous to get a perfect pink/coral shade.  Theyare only like $5-6 bucks so I can afford to use both.  They stay pretty well and don't dry out my lips. 

So pretty much if I have these I don't need anything else.  I already have a stash of the above products as well, because I get them on sale. 

Yet I continue to buy more stuff.  I get tricked into buying It Cosmetic pallets and such because they are new and look cute.  But I don't really need any of it. 

I am also addicting to buying brushes from It.  I like their QVC TSV because you get a free brush, and I have bought their holiday brush set every year.  But I don't really use them.  This is really sad.  I like the Real Techniques sponge for foundation application.  I do use their wand ball for powder, the blush brush and eyeshadow brush.  But how many of those do you really need. 

Honored Contributor

@Sherrilz

Back in the era when I actually read all those women's magazines (includes the glossy fashion magazines), one thing was consistent:

All the professional makeup artists swore by Great Lash.

If it works for you and you have to toss the tube and replace it every 2 to 3 months, why would you want to try anything else?

Same with the lip color.  You know how many millions of lip products are sold and never used because the average woman can't figure out the most flattering color for her lips?

I know that the experts say that your lips should match another part of your body but there's no way I'm doing a shade comparison at Walmart.

Contributor

Ok.  I just got a Coach Outlet 70% off email.  i went on there and added 6 items to my shopping bag.  I was so tempted.  You can return through 1/15/18.  I was going to have my husband give stuff to me for xmas.  But I still have probably 6 coach bags at home with the tags on I haven't used and probably a dozen more that I do use and rotate in.  I need another purse like I need a hole in the head.  But I am soooooo tempted since the sale is so good and they are soooooo cute. 

Honored Contributor

@Sherrilz wrote:

Ok.  I just got a Coach Outlet 70% off email.  i went on there and added 6 items to my shopping bag.  I was so tempted.  You can return through 1/15/18.  I was going to have my husband give stuff to me for xmas.  But I still have probably 6 coach bags at home with the tags on I haven't used and probably a dozen more that I do use and rotate in.  I need another purse like I need a hole in the head.  But I am soooooo tempted since the sale is so good and they are soooooo cute. 

@Sherrilz

Well, there's always the ol' one in-one out method.  If you bring in one new item, one old item has to go.

But you did say you have six at home with the tags still on.

I had a similar problem with Alegria shoes.  I realized as I was ordering new ones (on sale, of course) that there are still pairs that haven't been worn.  Why was I saving them?  I made up my mind that I would start wearing them -- a different pair every day -- and wouldn't buy another pair.  I can't believe the amazing pairs I've said "no" to.

But I'm really enjoying wearing the ones I have.

Honored Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving

Honored Contributor

@Sherrilz wrote:

@Sherrilz

Oooh!  Seventy percent?!  Now that is hard to resist!