Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Never Again November!

So I am starting to struggle with the "pre" Black Friday sales.  I did get some items as gifts already.  I didn't go too over board.  I did get a few extras in case I need extra gifts.  But I  got emails this weekend that Coach is having a 30% off sale.  I love purses.  I don't need any at all.  I have way too many.  But I was so tempted this weekend.  I made myself wait for 48 hours and now I don't really care about getting anything.  I am definitely and impluse buyer.  With special discounts and free shipping I get so tempted. 

Honored Contributor

@Sherrilz wrote:

So I am starting to struggle with the "pre" Black Friday sales.  I did get some items as gifts already.  I didn't go too over board.  I did get a few extras in case I need extra gifts.  But I  got emails this weekend that Coach is having a 30% off sale.  I love purses.  I don't need any at all.  I have way too many.  But I was so tempted this weekend.  I made myself wait for 48 hours and now I don't really care about getting anything.  I am definitely and impluse buyer.  With special discounts and free shipping I get so tempted. 

@Sherrilz

Those emails are the worst!  It's true, though.  Waiting helps.  I also find it helpful to push myself away from the computer and walk to the area in the house where similar items are stockpiled.

The visual is always helpful.  And so is a number.  That's why I used to inventory certain items and keep the number accessible.

I'd see a philosophy shower gel and I could either walk to the closet where I had my own store or I could pull out the number I'd written down.  When you have close to 100 shower gels it's hard to justify a new one.

After years of doing this -- and using shower gels at the sink as hand soap -- I can say that I have 4 unopened bottles left.

It's all those B&BW gels I have to work through now!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@aprilskies- bummer about the opened packages. I can't remember the last time I've ordered from QVC. I will order from Ulta, Vitacost, even individual websites. Once in a blue moon I will have a problem with a top not being on tight and a product will leak out in the box, but I've never had a problem getting a replacement or a credit and I've never not had everything sealed up tight and I've never had to send anything back either. I've gotten great customer service from Ulta, Vitacost, BBW. So even if everything is not perfect it's not a big deal usually to fix it.

@rnmom, Same here.  My orders have been minimal from qvc over the last few years.  I usually shop with all the stores you mentioned above.  Qvc this time around just offered better prices than the others even with the sales they were offering. I have a 15% off from Vitacost that I have been saving so I can see what I need so that I dont just order haphazardly.  It even includes free shipping, no limit, so I dont feel I have to reach the free shipping level.  Watch, now that I have free shipping I will reach it without a problem. 

Ulta I have never been a fan of due to their rude customer service, always dreaded going into that store.  But the last few times I have gone there, the service is pleasant.  I no longer feel like an alien. I think they have really stepped up their game. I just recently signed up for their rewards card.  So, I think I will start shopping there more often.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette@just bee

oh yes, this is going back.  I really make an effort on not returning things for various reasons but this is just wrong.  

JB, if I thought it would do any good, I would call them but I don’t think they care as I have read other ladies on the boards experiencing the same thing from time to time and nothing seems to have changed. I think I am for once and for all returning to the drugstore.  Not that people don’t open things there but at least you can check things out. 

@aprilskies

You might want to give customer service a try before you return.  They really don’t want you to return stuff that has potential for leaking.  I received a bottle of WEN that had its cap broken and the inner seal loose.  There was cleansing conditioner all over the inside of the box.  I called and customer service said not to return, they would send out a replacement.  Which I got a few days later.

It’s worth a try and it might save you a trip to the post office.

Thanks, @geezerette.  I gave them a ring.  They just said to return it. Mine wasnt broken or anything, just previously opened.  

Just a lesson to keep mindful. I meant to go back to the drugstore so I think I will now.   Just so hard to remember when you stumble onto new products that feel promising.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Sherrilz wrote:

@Sherrilz

Those emails are the worst!  It's true, though.  Waiting helps.  I also find it helpful to push myself away from the computer and walk to the area in the house where similar items are stockpiled.

The visual is always helpful.  And so is a number.  That's why I used to inventory certain items and keep the number accessible.

I'd see a philosophy shower gel and I could either walk to the closet where I had my own store or I could pull out the number I'd written down.  When you have close to 100 shower gels it's hard to justify a new one.

After years of doing this -- and using shower gels at the sink as hand soap -- I can say that I have 4 unopened bottles left.

It's all those B&BW gels I have to work through now!

Yes, emails are the worst.  Always something shiny to check out.  I have failed miserably in November and the hardest part is yet to come. I so agree, just taking a few days to think about things really changes your mind. You realize you dont want or need it after all.  I wish I did that more.  It would have made a difference. 

The only good thing I can say, whatever I am buying, I am putting it into play.  No hanging on to it.  It is put in rotation, whether it is beauty or wardrobe, it goes straight into rotation.  Most things anyway.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

That's the worst thing and I know we're probably all guilty of it.  You see something at the store or online and your first response is: I need that!

How many items do we have that we "needed" so desperately that are still in the bag or the box or in the closet with tags on?

This is when you just need to hand out slaps to yourself.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Oh yes.  Impulse purchases, snap decisions.  I’m the worst.  I hate making decisions of any kind and seem to always make the wrong choice when it’s a decision I make, or need to make, without being able to think about it for a while.  

I’ve been trying to not buy anything unless I give it a day or two of thought.  Even with things that are in my mind that I’ll be needing shortly, if I suddenly see a great deal on whatever it is, I have to force myself to stop and consider if it really is a great deal or only seems like one at the time.

As I quit buying at various places, I remove myself from their mailing lists.  That keeps temptations at bay as well as relieving me from having to take the time to delete the emails.  (What makes me angry though, is that most often when I no longer want to be associated with a company, I can’t follow through and delete my account with them.  They still keep much of my personal information in their computers.  So that also makes me stop to think before I start up with a new purchase at a new company—do I want this product enough to give all my personal information to yet another place that could potentially put all my personal information risk?)

Sometimes waiting works.  I was just saved from a regrettable purchase because the product was not available in my size.  Did I breathe a sigh of relief?  No.  I spent the next hour looking at other sites trying to find something similar.  Until I finally stopped myself.  This was something I didn’t even know I wanted until I got the 40% sale catalog.  Sales.  Ugh.

And the onslaught is soon to begin...Tuesday before Thanksgiving, then the day before Thanksgiving, then Thanksgiving, then...

RESIST!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

And the onslaught is soon to begin...Tuesday before Thanksgiving, then the day before Thanksgiving, then Thanksgiving, then...

RESIST!

@geezerette

I say we stay home, stuff our faces with traditional holiday food and watch old movies.

Contributor

I found a new thing that is tempting me. A few places are offering you reward dollars if you buy a certain amount of gift cards.  Now I think I could find gift cards that I could use as gifts for the holidays, but I don't really need any.  It's the rewards dollars that are tempting me.  So things like Kohls cash, Old Navy cash and other similar tempt me to purchase more.  I'm a sucker for markting ploys.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

RESIST!

@geezerette

I say we stay home, stuff our faces with traditional holiday food and watch old movies.

@just bee

Sounds good to me, but then, that’s what I normally do anyway.