Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Never Again November!

I agree completely.  It's funny you bring up shower gel.  I have a few super size philosophy bottles still in storage and I bought like 12 shower gels from BBW about a year ago that I haven't even opened yet. 

I actually bought some suave sented gels recently for like $2 and love them.  So I've been using those thinking I could give the BBW gels as a gift at some point.  But really I shouldn't have bought the Suave gels, I should just use what I have. 

You're also right about drugstore makeup.  Although I have always been bad about over buying that.  In my teens, I would go to drugstore and buy the latest stuff.  I spent too much money then too.  Now that I'm older and "wiser" I can afford to buy prestige brands, but they are often not worth all of the hype.  So I have wised up a little and use drugstore almost daily.  But I still get tempted by the limited edition stuff. 

My favorte mascara is Maybelline great lash in the pink and green tube Smiley Happy   It's $4.99 and you can get it on sale.  But of course I have like 12 tubes of that in the wings too.   I can't help stocking up.  That's my downfall. I need to develop a plan to only buy another one of something once I start my last one from storage.    I know it, but now I have to do it.

Honored Contributor

@Sherrilz wrote:

I agree completely.  It's funny you bring up shower gel.  I have a few super size philosophy bottles still in storage and I bought like 12 shower gels from BBW about a year ago that I haven't even opened yet. 

I actually bought some suave sented gels recently for like $2 and love them.  So I've been using those thinking I could give the BBW gels as a gift at some point.  But really I shouldn't have bought the Suave gels, I should just use what I have. 

You're also right about drugstore makeup.  Although I have always been bad about over buying that.  In my teens, I would go to drugstore and buy the latest stuff.  I spent too much money then too.  Now that I'm older and "wiser" I can afford to buy prestige brands, but they are often not worth all of the hype.  So I have wised up a little and use drugstore almost daily.  But I still get tempted by the limited edition stuff. 

My favorte mascara is Maybelline great lash in the pink and green tube Smiley Happy   It's $4.99 and you can get it on sale.  But of course I have like 12 tubes of that in the wings too.   I can't help stocking up.  That's my downfall. I need to develop a plan to only buy another one of something once I start my last one from storage.    I know it, but now I have to do it.

@Sherrilz

It is to laugh.  I'm still liking the Suave shampoo and conditioner I've been using.  And my favorite mascara is Maybelline's Full 'N Soft washable.  I've been using it for years and I used to buy a year's worth from drugstore.com.  This was the first year I hadn't stocked it and when I went to grab a new tube after I tossed the old one at three months, I didn't have one!  I was confused.

I'm still trying to break the stockpile habit so I try to keep no more than one or two in the wings.  I noticed that by the time I got to that last tube the product was getting a little "dry."  Now I buy it in the store and I pick up two if they're on sale.

Just remember that Great Lash isn't going anywhere.  It's iconic.  It'll probably be around long after we're gone!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Small victory.

I accompanied BH to Sally's Beauty Supply today because he needed to replace a hair clipper/trimmer.  I did a quick "browse" and didn't buy anything.  Haven't renewed my card in years.

And I was prepared to pick up something!  I'll just be content with my Walgreens order...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Oh my, I'm away for a couple weeks and so much happened! @just bee Happy belated birthday and I hope you are recovering from your accident!  It sounded horrible.  Did the dog poop smell go away? Did you get your tooth fixed?

@aprilskies Good job on cleaning out your cart.  I did the same thing.  I had a couple of makeup products (lippie on sale and Viseart petite palette) that I ended up removing.  It was that little voice that @geezerettetalked about that did it.  I think I have 2 inner voices.  One that makes me do the stuff I know I shouldn't do like add makeup to my cart and the two that makes me take it out of the cart.  Woman LOL  I did place an order but only for boring but necessary replacement items and the mini hair straightening brush.  If the brush doesn't work well, I will return it.  I will not make VIB status this year, which is a win! 

@Oshare-girl

Thanks!  The dust has settled, the scent has subsided and I have a temporary crown.  My concern now is that my night guard might not fit.  (I'm supposed to wear one but rarely do.  Still, I paid a small fortune for the thing and should use it.)

I have a list of things to consider.  Upon superficial examination, this is an unfortunate situation.  I hate inconvenience and this is inconvenient.  However, it could have been so much worse.

I crossed a busy intersection and wasn't hit by a car because it was Sunday morning and traffic was light.  I held on to the leash and the dog wasn't hit.  Two very nice women stopped to assist and they and their vehicles weren't hit.

My glasses were damaged but they're still functional.  The scratches are only on the metal frame and side of the right lens.  The tooth I destroyed was one that would have needed to be addressed one day anyway.  There was enough of it left so I didn't need a root canal.  The chipped teeth around it are not as bad off as they could have been.  I didn't break my nose or jaw or hip or leg or arm or...  I mean, what if I'd landed on my knees?  The damage could have been so much worse.

I still managed to pick up most of the dog poop and get to a dumpster to throw it away.  My clothes weren't torn or permanently stained.  Yes, there's the humiliation of sitting in the ER smelling like a steaming pile of dog sh_t, but we healthcare types have smelled much worse in the hospital.

And there's the expense.  I used up my dental insurance this year so the crown is all out of pocket.  And I don't even want to think about the medical bills.

But I had around 450 hours of sick time accrued.  I don't call in sick because I'm a paranoid freak who is all about fret, worry, woe and what-if.  I'm always afraid of an accident or illness and I hang on to that sick time.

Like I said, it's just a major inconvenience for me and for my coworkers.  I've registered for three classes related to work (three all-day sessions) and I still have projects for work that I can address while I'm home.  I need to stay involved, do things and not become a hermit.  And I have some time to think about things.

And congrats to you for staying true to the replacement plan.  Those little voices can be such a pain. Woman LOL

@just bee You are the living example of "what if".  But you know what, you're so right about things that could have been worse.  Thank you for pointing out the brighter side to your story.  Life is choice and you are making some great decisions right now.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee You are the living example of "what if".  But you know what, you're so right about things that could have been worse.  Thank you for pointing out the brighter side to your story.  Life is choice and you are making some great decisions right now.

@Oshare-girl

Like I said, I try to find the silver lining in every cloud (and a cloud for every silver lining).  Things happen for a reason.  We don't always know what that reason is, but...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I received another of those Dermstore emails that features articles from the Dermstore Blog.  This one lists the nine best moisturizers for dry skin (and every budget).  Or so they say.  The moisturizers start at $29 (La Roche-Posay Toleriane Riche, 1.35 fl oz.) and the most expensive is $175 (Luzern Laboratories Force de Vie Creme Intensive, 2 fl oz.).  Even $29 seems steep to me.

When I read the ingredient lists I can't help think of my mother who told me about her "crazy" aunt -- the one who would sit at the kitchen table every night and rub olive oil all over herself.  She had amazing skin.

Does everyone have what they need for winter?  Or are you still looking for something to help you get through it?

Honored Contributor

Far Side

After 19 minutes of dueling, with four bidders on the telephone and one in the room, Leonardo da Vinci’s “Salvator Mundi” sold on Wednesday night for $450.3 million with fees, shattering the high for any work of art sold at auction.

Yowza!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

Far Side

After 19 minutes of dueling, with four bidders on the telephone and one in the room, Leonardo da Vinci’s “Salvator Mundi” sold on Wednesday night for $450.3 million with fees, shattering the high for any work of art sold at auction.

Yowza!

I get the great and famous art and all but I find that completely insane.  I think there was another one that just sold, I have to look it up, for an insane amount. I didnt read the article.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Far Side

Yowza!

I get the great and famous art and all but I find that completely insane.  I think there was another one that just sold, I have to look it up, for an insane amount. I didnt read the article.

@aprilskies

But this is proof that there is a Far Side for every occasion. Woman Very Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Just got my Walgreens order and those tubes of Lumene 60 Second Facial are huge.

I'm going to go try it out and then I'm testing the lip balm.