Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Never Again November!

@geezerette wrote:

There are so many things that I need to “Never Again”. But I suppose the most all-encompassing is not to discount my intuition/instinct/inner voice. I have been thinking of this for some time now regarding other things, but it can be applied to the Compact in so many ways too.

More times than not, I already know that I shouldn’t really buy/do/eat/drink that “whatever”, but I ignore that little voice inside me and buy/do/eat/drink anyway. And most of those times, I end up regretting I did. (Admittedly, occasionally that little voice is wrong, but not often.)

Yes, exactly, our intuition, if only I listened to it over the years, if only. Truth be told, I am still having problems listening. Smiley Sad

I dont understand this myself. We know what we should be doing, we just arent doing it. And we know the very moment we do something that we  shouldnt be doing it. Why is that? 

Yesterday though I was successful. I had to stop at bed bath and beyond for something and tjmaxx is not far from there so I was going to go there just to browse.  I told myself to go home and so I went.  But the only thing that saved me was because it was right after work and I was tired and just wanted to get home. I will take a save any way I can.

I think I need to put some goals in neon lights right in front of me.

Contributor

I have been reading this forum for a while.  COUNT ME IN!!!!!

I can totally relate to what you are saying.  I've purchased so much stuff (online especially) that I have donated it before the bill even hits my mailbox because i just don't want to deal with the hassle of a return.  Last Christmas I did most of my purchases online.  I will NOT be doing that this year.  More than half of the purchases that I made if I would have saw them in the store I would have passed them by seeing the color and feeling the material.  Also, when I'm in a store I would never buy as much as I do online because I couldn't possibly carry all the purchases.  I guess I'm going against what the new generation is doing, but I'm going BACK to the stores.

Honored Contributor

@DelaRose wrote:

I have been reading this forum for a while.  COUNT ME IN!!!!!

I can totally relate to what you are saying.  I've purchased so much stuff (online especially) that I have donated it before the bill even hits my mailbox because i just don't want to deal with the hassle of a return.  Last Christmas I did most of my purchases online.  I will NOT be doing that this year.  More than half of the purchases that I made if I would have saw them in the store I would have passed them by seeing the color and feeling the material.  Also, when I'm in a store I would never buy as much as I do online because I couldn't possibly carry all the purchases.  I guess I'm going against what the new generation is doing, but I'm going BACK to the stores.

@DelaRose

Welcome!  You sound like my kinda gal!  In fact, I could have written your whole post myself!  The whole Christmas gift thing.  I’ve already returned, tossed or donated most of what I ordered for gifts this year, and am now on second and third orders!  It’s pitiful.

And yes, I also hate to admit that I have tossed or donated many things even before I paid the credit card bill.  Pathetic.

I just got a new vacuum the other day and before I had even unpacked all the attachments I had already thought that if I had tried it out in a real brick and mortar store, I never would have purchased it.  Oh, I need it, but I don’t like how it handles.  And because there is no way on God’s green earth I’m able to put everything back in the box to return, I’m going to keep it.  Every time I use it from now until I can manage to destroy it, I’m going to beat myself up for buying it.

A few months ago I got the idea of buying most everything I could at a real store rather than online.  After the last few weeks, this has become a vow.  And after the latest delivery, it has become my mantra.  “Store only!”  “No more online!”

I do think I need to come up with a snazzier jingle than that though, or it will never stick.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

There are so many things that I need to “Never Again”. But I suppose the most all-encompassing is not to discount my intuition/instinct/inner voice. I have been thinking of this for some time now regarding other things, but it can be applied to the Compact in so many ways too.

More times than not, I already know that I shouldn’t really buy/do/eat/drink that “whatever”, but I ignore that little voice inside me and buy/do/eat/drink anyway. And most of those times, I end up regretting I did. (Admittedly, occasionally that little voice is wrong, but not often.)

Yes, exactly, our intuition, if only I listened to it over the years, if only. Truth be told, I am still having problems listening. Smiley Sad

I dont understand this myself. We know what we should be doing, we just arent doing it. And we know the very moment we do something that we  shouldnt be doing it. Why is that? 

Yesterday though I was successful. I had to stop at bed bath and beyond for something and tjmaxx is not far from there so I was going to go there just to browse.  I told myself to go home and so I went.  But the only thing that saved me was because it was right after work and I was tired and just wanted to get home. I will take a save any way I can.

I think I need to put some goals in neon lights right in front of me.

@aprilskies

Ah yes, famous last words...”if only”...

Hey, one save because you’re tired is still a save.  I do that with my HEP.  I feel bad so I can manage to get home from the grocery store without buying any junk food.  But by the time the next grocery trip rolls around I’m feeling so much better from eating clean that, you guessed it, I buy “just a little bit” of something I shouldn’t.  

And then, well, you can guess the rest.

🍩🍿🍫🍪🍬🍦🍰🎂🍮🍭🍨🍧🍡🍟🍕🌭🍔

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

A few months ago I got the idea of buying most everything I could at a real store rather than online.  After the last few weeks, this has become a vow.  And after the latest delivery, it has become my mantra.  “Store only!”  “No more online!”

I do think I need to come up with a snazzier jingle than that though, or it will never stick.

@geezerette

How about "Only the store, online no more!" Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

This week I cleaned out the coat closet and DD 16 got rid of lots old coats that don't fit or she just doesn't wear anymore.  Also got rid of excesss gloves and hats.  Off they to a local coat drive.

Trusted Contributor

Justbee -   I like your jingle.  Why you ask?  I now have four packages to mail back.  Will I ever learn.  Don't get me wrong, I have been trying to buy local, but Landsend had a sale on turtlenecks.  Soooo, I consult the sizing table, pick my size, order four shirts.  And, they are too small, so, back they go.   Now let's talk about shoes, I always think I have the size down.  No, now I have a pair going back to the Q.

I decided I am going to two different places to send all this stuff back.  I don't want to look like a shopping loser at the post office.

Well, off with my returns.  Have a good morning everyone.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Instead, I am going to put my energy in finding comfortable dress shoes for work. I dont find many dressy comfortable pumps.  I think they forgot how to make these and I am not willing to pay 300 bucks on a pair either.   Maybe it is just my feet.

@aprilskies

Where is it written that you have to wear a pump to work?  Do you have to wear skirts, too?

I earned two nursing degrees in the last few years just so I could wear pajamas and slippers to work.  You think I would've been a nurse if I had to wear that tight white uniform and white hose?

My closets are full of clothes and shoes and accessories that I bought when I worked in a corporate office environment.  Many of these items have never been worn.

The first thing that gets rounded up when I tackle the closets will be skirts.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not anti-skirt.  But I'm old school and if I'm going to wear a skirt, I'm going to wear stockings and a heel. 

But if I can avoid it I will.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

This week I cleaned out the coat closet and DD 16 got rid of lots old coats that don't fit or she just doesn't wear anymore.  Also got rid of excesss gloves and hats.  Off they to a local coat drive.

@ninjawife

Brilliant!  And that's another thing I need to do.  When I moved here I bought more coats, scarves, hats and gloves because Albuquerque has four seasons.  But since living here I've realized that I don't even wear my sweaters.  I wore more sweaters and coats when I lived in California.  Why?  Because fifty degrees in the San Francisco Bay Area is cold; fifty degrees in Albuquerque is balmy.  Even at twenty degrees I can get by with a sweatshirt.

I can't remember the last time I wore one of my leather jackets.  And I own capes!  What am I -- a superhero?  Why do I own capes?

Just another case of the disconnect between our fantasy lives and our real lives.

Honored Contributor

@PAlady wrote:

Justbee -   I like your jingle.  Why you ask?  I now have four packages to mail back.  Will I ever learn.  Don't get me wrong, I have been trying to buy local, but Landsend had a sale on turtlenecks.  Soooo, I consult the sizing table, pick my size, order four shirts.  And, they are too small, so, back they go.   Now let's talk about shoes, I always think I have the size down.  No, now I have a pair going back to the Q.

I decided I am going to two different places to send all this stuff back.  I don't want to look like a shopping loser at the post office.

Well, off with my returns.  Have a good morning everyone.

@PAlady

It's a quandary, isn't it?  Better-half has needed a new pair of hiking boots for years.  He bought a pair for me several years ago and they sat in the original box in the closet for... well, years.

When I realized that the cheap athletic shoes I'd been wearing were making me feel like I'd been hit by a bus, I pulled the boots out and tried them on.  Changed my life.  I even wear them when I walk the dog.  They've lasted for -- again -- years.  Cast iron.

Finally convinced him to get a pair he's been eyeing and they arrived this week.  Wrong size.  The company had the right size, but only one pair in stock.  Now they're gone, the small pair has been returned and BH still has no boots.

Online choices are so much better.  He can't get the German or Italian boots locally or even try on a pair.  Ordering online is a cr@pshoot.