Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Whoa.  I went to the closet where I've kept the last of my philosophy 3-in-1 collection and I'm happy (and shocked) to report that I have five 16-ounce bottles left.  I used to have 100 bottles of shower gel in the house.

Of course, I still have a s__tload of B&BW, but it's still progress! Woman LOL

Wow, that is some good progress.  How long do you estimate that took you?

@aprilskies

@Oshare-girl

How long have we been ComPacting?  It's taken years! Woman LOL

It is a journey.  The important thing is that we are moving along.  I can't remember if I posted on this thread or another one, but I had over 100 makeup brushes.  I haven't done an inventory lately but I know I have given away a bunch to my nieces, DD and friends.  But I still have a couple of makeup bags full of brushes.  I should probably do a cull.  And most importantly, I have stopped the in-flow.  I used to buy kits that came with brushes, it was my weakness.  I felt like brushes were a great bonus.  But like everything else, I use about 20% of my brushes and the rest are hibernating.  I will rotate a different one in every so often, but can I live without it?  Absolutely.

Trusted Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I would like to join in, please.

Reducing cosmetics (not opened), and nice, but no longer worn clothes.  Gifting to helping hand.

Lost my nerve giving up chocolate for Lent, giving up bread instead.

I can't get up the nerve to give up chocolate either, but bread....that might be doable.Woman Wink  And, welcome!  Happy to have more support.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Whoa.  I went to the closet where I've kept the last of my philosophy 3-in-1 collection and I'm happy (and shocked) to report that I have five 16-ounce bottles left.  I used to have 100 bottles of shower gel in the house.

Of course, I still have a s__tload of B&BW, but it's still progress! Woman LOL

Wow, that is some good progress.  How long do you estimate that took you?

@aprilskies

@Oshare-girl

How long have we been ComPacting?  It's taken years! Woman LOL

It is a journey.  The important thing is that we are moving along.  I can't remember if I posted on this thread or another one, but I had over 100 makeup brushes.  I haven't done an inventory lately but I know I have given away a bunch to my nieces, DD and friends.  But I still have a couple of makeup bags full of brushes.  I should probably do a cull.  And most importantly, I have stopped the in-flow.  I used to buy kits that came with brushes, it was my weakness.  I felt like brushes were a great bonus.  But like everything else, I use about 20% of my brushes and the rest are hibernating.  I will rotate a different one in every so often, but can I live without it?  Absolutely.

That's still pretty impressive, JB.  You must be loving the space you reclaimed.  I am really finally appreciating "stopping the flow."  Finally, right, I know.  Since January, I only purchased one product and have used up quite a few. 

Makeup brushes, oy, a weakness for me too. I just love brushes. I was buying them even up to late last year.  I have culled some out but I can't bring myself to do a real declutter with them just yet.  What is it about brushes. 

And, yep, guess what I ran out for yesterday, salad fixings from Costco.  And I enjoyed it.  It is the kale mix with all the shreddings.  It looks so pretty. I love pretty colorful salads. 

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

I am definitely in for a Mindful March! I am trying to be much more selective as to the beauty products that I purchase and I'm making progress. I actually bought face moisturizers because I was out! That never happens! Actually I'm trying to be more mindful of all my purchases lately. I have a goal to pay off my house in 10 years, so I can retire at a reasonable age and any little bit I can save and put towards the mortgage will only help me reach that goal. I don't intend to totally deprive myself by any means, but I just don't want to waste money needlessly. Plus I'll have 2 kids heading off to college then and I'm sure anything extra can l be used for that. And a more immediate need will be my younger son will probably need braces in the next few years, so I want to start saving for that. 

Appreciative April sounds awesome too! I definitely need to be reminded to be appreciative for everything that I already have and not feeling like I need something else. I have already been blessed with so much but it's easy to forget that sometimes. And it's hard with kids too. They're always asking for something and I feel like I'm constantly saying "no". I'm trying to teach them moderation too, and to appreciate everything they have. It's a challenge for sure. 

You know, I think retirement is what got me to get really serious about it all. If I am brave enough to pull the trigger when I want to, I want to be sure I have a healthy amount saved for any contingencies and as little debt as I can manage. Of course, it is based on so many things. I have been blessed to have my job and am super grateful but I have been doing the same one for a very very long time and a change is long overdue. Trying to keep my focus on the prize. 

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Reducing cosmetics (not opened), and nice, but no longer worn clothes.  Gifting to helping hand.

Welcome!

@Drythe

1. Now that's interesting.  I could give up chocolate easily.  It's bread that I can't bid a fond adieu.  If I had to choose between a truffle and a bagel, I'd choose the bagel.

It's a carb thing.

2. It's good to part with things that we aren't going to use when there's someone out there who will treasure them.

Post often! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

I can't get up the nerve to give up chocolate either, but bread....that might be doable.Woman Wink  And, welcome!  Happy to have more support.

@aprilskies

I'll trade you a Snickers for a baguette.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

That's still pretty impressive, JB.  You must be loving the space you reclaimed.  I am really finally appreciating "stopping the flow."  Finally, right, I know.  Since January, I only purchased one product and have used up quite a few. 

Makeup brushes, oy, a weakness for me too. I just love brushes. I was buying them even up to late last year.  I have culled some out but I can't bring myself to do a real declutter with them just yet.  What is it about brushes. 

And, yep, guess what I ran out for yesterday, salad fixings from Costco.  And I enjoyed it.  It is the kale mix with all the shreddings.  It looks so pretty. I love pretty colorful salads. 

@aprilskies

Oh, that kale and shredded Brussels sprout concoction is a lost weekend.  It totally satisfies that urge to chew.  Nutritious, too.  I'm likin' the salads. Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

You know, I think retirement is what got me to get really serious about it all. If I am brave enough to pull the trigger when I want to, I want to be sure I have a healthy amount saved for any contingencies and as little debt as I can manage. Of course, it is based on so many things. I have been blessed to have my job and am super grateful but I have been doing the same one for a very very long time and a change is long overdue. Trying to keep my focus on the prize. 

@aprilskies

What motivates me is this nagging thought that one day I may have to sell the house and relocate.  There's no way I'll be able to move everything in this house.  The cost of moving the books alone would break me.

I picture myself in a studio apartment.  What will I keep when it's time to part with fifty years of stuff?

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

What motivates me is this nagging thought that one day I may have to sell the house and relocate.  There's no way I'll be able to move everything in this house.  The cost of moving the books alone would break me.

I picture myself in a studio apartment.  What will I keep when it's time to part with fifty years of stuff?

Yea, exactly, it is time to switch up the focus.  I would like to move next year. My move would not break me though.  I have really downsized dramatically over the last 10 years but more so over the last 4, and I really want to continue to declutter as much as I can. I still have too much and it kinda makes me crazy. It always has but now I just dont want to manage things. I always told myself, well when I move into a bigger place, it wont be so bad, but really now, even if I move into a bigger place, I dont want to deal with it.  It is funny how the mindset changes.  I declutter here and there and that is how I have been doing it lately.  I would like to do another dramatic one but just can't, lol, what's remaining is all of the really really hard stuff.  Sometimes I feel close on making a decision regarding my collectibles. The truth is, they are now worthless, I dont have kids and my nieces and nephews arent into that kind of stuff and the rest of us are aging as well, so no one would really want all that stuff.  And I am not willing to hold onto it for another 15 years to see if the market turns.    

I toy with the idea that when I do eventually move, to just donate all of my furniture and start over fresh with what I want. hahahahha. I doubt I would do that, who wants to start looking, etc, but it is tempting.  I think it is because all of my furniture is mostly dark wood and I am a bit tired of the darkness.  This too will pass. Smiley Happy  

As you can see, I have quite a bit rolling around in my head.  That is just the start.

Decluttering is hard, it is our stuff, but at some point we have to determine what works.  

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@aprilskies

I'll trade you a Snickers for a baguette.

You got the wrong person, M'ame.   I wouldnt and couldnt give up neither. Woman LOL