Honored Contributor

ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!

[ Edited ]

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation. This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

HEP Dogs

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Welcome to Mindful March!  Now let's put our minds to work and try to find an appropriate A-word for April!

Honored Contributor

There's a bread thread on the other forum and someone mentioned Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread.  I see it in the stores but I've never tried it.

I'd mentioned giving up my cinnamon raisin bagels for Lent (I'm not a member of any particular religion but I thought it would be a good time to give up something) and noticed that Food for Life offers two types of cinnamon raisin bread: Cinnamon Raisin 7 Sprouted Grains and Ezekiel 4:9 Cinnamon Raisin Sprouted Whole Grain.

I picked up a loaf of 7 Sprouted Grains yesterday and, if I like it, I'll try the Ezekiel 4:9 bread next time.

If it tastes like pencil sharpenings I'll have to find something else to give up.

Honored Contributor

Anyone else thinking of giving up something or trying out a substitute?

Honored Contributor

So this is my plan for work this week.  I always bring two 1L bottles of water with me -- sometimes I drink two, sometimes just one.  Depends how busy we get.

Peanut butter: Skippy creamy.  This week I'll skip the bagel and try the new bread.  We'll see how that goes.

Apple of the week: Envy.

Back-up snacks: Cashews, almonds, dried apricots.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, and Happy March.  It came in like a lion for us with rainstorms and high winds.

How about the word - Appreciate for April.  I need to learn to appreciate what I have and not be buying the next best thing or thinking I need an item for my "fantasy" life.

I am thinking of giving up eating junk between meals, this is something I battle with every day (ask me about the sleeve of thin mint cookies I ate yesterday afternoon).  I really need to give up eating after supper,I know I am not hungry but I just go on auto pilot and   eat.  I am going to try to add some type of exercise everyday. It may just be a 30 min walk or a 30 min. dvd.  We will see how this goes.

Good luck to all who give up something or try to add something.

Honored Contributor

@PAlady wrote:

Good morning ladies, and Happy March.  It came in like a lion for us with rainstorms and high winds.

How about the word - Appreciate for April.  I need to learn to appreciate what I have and not be buying the next best thing or thinking I need an item for my "fantasy" life.

I am thinking of giving up eating junk between meals, this is something I battle with every day (ask me about the sleeve of thin mint cookies I ate yesterday afternoon).  I really need to give up eating after supper,I know I am not hungry but I just go on auto pilot and   eat.  I am going to try to add some type of exercise everyday. It may just be a 30 min walk or a 30 min. dvd.  We will see how this goes.

I could have written this almost word for word.  Except I would have had to admit I ate the whole box of cookies instead of just one sleeve.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@PAlady wrote:

I could have written this almost word for word.  Except I would have had to admit I ate the whole box of cookies instead of just one sleeve.

Me too!!!!!! 

I really like the word "appreciate."  I think it is important.

This week, I dont have a eating specific plan, just mindfulness, but I want to at least exercise 4 days a week and slowly bump it up to at least 6 days.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PAlady wrote:

@PAlady

Appreciate it is!

I believe that when we take a moment to appreciate what we have and what we are, it alleviates so much pressure.  Pressure we put on ourselves.

We always focus on what's wrong in our lives instead of what's right.  I think we should start taking a good look at our circumstances in Mindful March in preparation for Appreciative April.