Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Madcap May!

@just bee. Maybe try ulta ?  I don't think you have a sephora in cottonwoods ?

This weather is nuts.  Snow / sleet in the mountains the other day too.  The heat came on again last night in the house.   Haven't turned the swamp on at all yet.  Wore a winter jacket last night too.  I hope we don't jump right to summer heat.  Could be worse though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Suebdoo wrote:

@just bee. Maybe try ulta ?  I don't think you have a sephora in cottonwoods ?

This weather is nuts.  Snow / sleet in the mountains the other day too.  The heat came on again last night in the house.   Haven't turned the swamp on at all yet.  Wore a winter jacket last night too.  I hope we don't jump right to summer heat.  Could be worse though.

@Suebdoo

Last time I looked, Cottonwood had both.  I used bareMinerals for years and was happy with it.  Then I turned fifty. Woman Tongue

I gotta say I'm likin' this weather.  I expect a hot, buggy summer so I'm enjoying the cooler, wetter days.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Suebdoo

It was driving me nuts so I had to Google it.  The bareMinerals shop on the Westside was called Katharoz.  There was also one in Las Cruces and it looks like that one closed, too. Woman Sad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Oshare-girl- I really wish there was some way we could do swaps on this forum! I've puchased so many SKINN products that so many people seem to just love and I've thrown half of them in the trash because I disliked them so much. It would have been so nice to have been able to pass them on to someone who would have used them!

Respected Contributor

aprilskies- I've been intrigued by the Ordinary line too. But I'm also trying to hold off for now. I only have one serum left here and a couple moisturizers but it will probably be at least a couple months before my last mega size SKINN serum is gone so I'm waiting until that is gone before I look at anything else. I also don't want to order something and have it just sit here while I use up a product that I ordered last July. If I get something new I want to use it right away. So I'm waiting.......

Honored Contributor

@rnmom

Do you have a pen handy?  Go ahead and jot down today's date.  That's the day I said I liked Suave shampoo and conditioner.

Let's see how long it takes me to start hating it.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

aprilskies- I've been intrigued by the Ordinary line too.

@rnmom

@aprilskies

I noticed quite a few of their products have been reviewed on Beautypedia.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would like to join this group. I posted about finally conquering my compulsive shopping in Wellness recently. I shared what helped me. 

My main mantra is "I'm making that company or person richer and myself poorer" with that needless purchase. I have completely overcome the nagging feeling to look and buy things I don't really need. I'm focused instead on saving and empowering myself as much as possible. This now brings me the joy that conspicuous consumption used to.

Instead of buying something then quickly losing interest to look for something else, I'm happy anticipating using what I already have. Planning outfits with the bags, jewelry etc. I already own. Finding joy in saying "No, I don't need that. This expenditure will empower someone else".

Visualizing seeing the money staying in my bank account rather than the visualization of receiving the item is what now brings me utility. The switch takes time but seeing spending as making yourself financially disempowered is a very powerful motivator because it's absolutely true. Needless purchases add up quickly and they make us less financially secure. 

I focus on making myself stronger not only financially but physically and emotionally. All the time I used to spend shopping is now invested in exercising, eating better, meditation and taking care of myself. We don't realize how much time and energy goes into consumption.

I only buy what I need and for those things I indulge in from time to time, they have to pass muster. I ask how is that item going to improve my life? What can I use instead?  If the benefit outweighs the con of losing that money from my account, then I buy. I wait before purchase to make sure it's not an impulse. 

Change takes time but it necessitates IMO an awakening; most of us IMO are not really aware of how much power we have given over to companies who make us literally hand over our money for things that we don't really need. It's mindless shopping.

Women make less yet they are the main targets. I realized what truly makes me happy is being healthy, feeling and looking good, and being as strong as possible. So I spend wisely on the things that will allow me to achieve these goals . The rest is just noise getting in the way of my success.

I now say no to the noise. Good luck everyone. I hope this helps. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

I now say no to the noise.

Welcome!

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen

I'm thinking we should print your post and frame it...

I think you'll fit right in!