Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Madcap May!

Very well said, @NycVixen! 👏

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Has anyone checked out the thread on this beauty forum called: Beauty anti-haulers article on Racked?  It has a link to an article that is right up our alley.  I find it so interesting how the tide is turning and anti-hauling and decluttering are trendy now.  I hope these "trends" will stick.  It's refreshing to hear that we are not the only ones trying to simplify.  

I have stopped watching beauty gurus and have been really enjoying the minimalist, anti-haulers and beauty teachers (vs "gurus", who do more education than marketing).  Actually, there are a bunch of former gurus who are changing their channels to be more minimalist.  That could be a marketing ploy also...but it's been a nice change none the less.  

I agree.  At least some youtubers are starting to talk about it.  Sometimes I think it is just for the clicks but even if that is the case, it is still a good message to put out there.

I watched Kimberly Clarks anti-haul regarding brushes and the best thing he said was -even if youtubers get it for free and it is a product that isnt special or one they wouldnt spend their own money on to not even show it on their channel.  About time someone said it even though that point might of gotten lost.

I have lost interest in the beauty channels for so many reasons but the last straw was when everyone started pushing ebates.  They would go on and on about how great ebates is and tell you to click on the link below but every one of them that I watched failed to tell you they get paid when you do that. Which is fine, however, be upfront about it.  But, that was just one of several reasons I lost interest.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Just bee, how is the bb cream?  Did you get it to work a bit?  

Surprisingly, I like the Isomers bb cream.  Go figure.  It doesn't have any color to it, but it has become my daytime moisturizer since the weather has eased up a bit.  I like the way it makes my skin feel. The only thing missing is an spf but I am not overly fanatical about that anyway.  Plus, I have spf if I want to start adding it in. 

@aprilskies

I have to review Costco's return policy.

I should just stop trying to make it work.  It's a character flaw.  I stick with things even though I know it's time to give up.

It's the weekend, so I'll try it again and see what happens.  I really just want to find a CC cream that I can pick up locally.  I should return the purlisse because I know I'd never repurchase it.  Especially at its full price.  Seriously?  $35?

You know how many capers I can get for that?

I really give you credit for trying so hard to make the product work.  I tried to make the IT CC Illumination cream work and just failed. It was painful but It finally got tossed. 

Did you finally make it work?

Respected Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

aprilskies- I've been intrigued by the Ordinary line too. But I'm also trying to hold off for now. I only have one serum left here and a couple moisturizers but it will probably be at least a couple months before my last mega size SKINN serum is gone so I'm waiting until that is gone before I look at anything else. I also don't want to order something and have it just sit here while I use up a product that I ordered last July. If I get something new I want to use it right away. So I'm waiting.......

Yea, exactly, rnmom. I no longer want things sitting on the shelf waiting to be used.  I am mixing serums just so I can put things in rotation.  I know it will take me longer to get through them but at least I feel I am using them.  ...and I still have serums waiting.....   The sad part is, when I do finish what I am currently using I cant even tell you if it is good or not since I am not using it exclusively. All I know I dont see any adverse effects.  I know at one point, I may need to toss some things but I will make that decision at the end of the year.

Yup, me too, nothing new until I am able to use it right away and not have it competing with other things. I am really looking forward to that day.   

Respected Contributor

@NycVixen - well said and I completely agree.  I hope you continue to share your thoughts and insights. This is definitely a process. At least, it has been for me.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Just bee, how is the bb cream?  Did you get it to work a bit?  

Surprisingly, I like the Isomers bb cream.  Go figure.  It doesn't have any color to it, but it has become my daytime moisturizer since the weather has eased up a bit.  I like the way it makes my skin feel. The only thing missing is an spf but I am not overly fanatical about that anyway.  Plus, I have spf if I want to start adding it in. 

@aprilskies

I have to review Costco's return policy.

I should just stop trying to make it work.  It's a character flaw.  I stick with things even though I know it's time to give up.

It's the weekend, so I'll try it again and see what happens.  I really just want to find a CC cream that I can pick up locally.  I should return the purlisse because I know I'd never repurchase it.  Especially at its full price.  Seriously?  $35?

You know how many capers I can get for that?

I really give you credit for trying so hard to make the product work.  I tried to make the IT CC Illumination cream work and just failed. It was painful but It finally got tossed. 

@aprilskies

I had to!  The kicker was when I saw Physicians Formula BB and CC creams at 40% off on the CVS website.  There are, like, eight different BB and CC creams and they were on sale.  Part of my brain lit up like a Christmas tree: Ooooh -- they're on sale and I can try them all.

Then the other part of my brain kicked in: Oh, swell.  Eight tubes on top of the two from purlisse -- and when's the expiration date?

The price was right, but the agony of choosing the one that might work was just too annoying for me.  That's when I knew I was stuck with the purlisse.  I don't want to experiment anymore.

I think I can get the purlisse to work.  I have to use the tiniest amount.  Pea-size is plenty.  And I have to put it on over a base of... something.  Right now I'm using the Lumene BB serum which will soon be extinct.

So now I have to come up with a BB serum replacement.  More headaches.

So I'm making it work.  It doesn't look like Lumene has a comparable replacement product for the BB serum, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

What a pain in the...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

I had to!  The kicker was when I saw Physicians Formula BB and CC creams at 40% off on the CVS website.  There are, like, eight different BB and CC creams and they were on sale.  Part of my brain lit up like a Christmas tree: Ooooh -- they're on sale and I can try them all.

Then the other part of my brain kicked in: Oh, swell.  Eight tubes on top of the two from purlisse -- and when's the expiration date?

The price was right, but the agony of choosing the one that might work was just too annoying for me.  That's when I knew I was stuck with the purlisseI don't want to experiment anymore.

I think I can get the purlisse to work.  I have to use the tiniest amount.  Pea-size is plenty.  And I have to put it on over a base of... something.  Right now I'm using the Lumene BB serum which will soon be extinct.

So now I have to come up with a BB serum replacement.  More headaches.

So I'm making it work.  It doesn't look like Lumene has a comparable replacement product for the BB serum, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

What a pain in the...

I agree. This is the reason why I didnt buy a new bb/cc cream. I just didnt want to experiment.  Especially since I have a ton of foundation, powder, but still.  The Isomers bb cream has a nice slip to it so I am sure once I go back to using my makeup again, it will look nice on top.

It really is amazing how little of certain products you actually need to make them work. I am finding as I am trying to use up my Isomers products, all you need is a little bit.  This was a funny brand to collect. All those brown bottles just look the same. Every time I pick one up, I am like -what is this? You gotta love it.

Trusted Contributor

I'll be cancelling my monthly subscription box.  Even though they only send one full size and one sample skincare each month, it's still too much and I'm starting to build up a stash again.  Also, only about half of the products I've received are things that I actually need.  It was nice to introduce me to "green" beauty but my goal is still the same.  Have less and use it all.  

Just a few more days until I finish this lipstick.  That will make my 2nd full sized lipstick to be finished so far this year.  It takes so long to finish things.  Even when using it exclusively.  I think I finally had this sink into my thinking.  It has saved me from many unnecessary purchases, not all, but most.  

Has anyone noticed that the "influencers" on YT are showing their PR hauls recently?  What's up with that?  It's amazing how much stuff they are sent by companies.  All these free products that they don't use and are "influencing" us to buy.  I guess I always knew they were getting free stuff.  It's just mind-boggling how much they get.  What's going to happen to the cosmetics industry?  I sense a change is coming.  Or maybe the change is happening in me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:
  What's going to happen to the cosmetics industry?  I sense a change is coming.  Or maybe the change is happening in me.

@Oshare-girl

Now that I'm looking for a replacement CC cream, I'm noticing several companies have cut their CC cream from the line.  BB creams are still out there, but I think CC cream is the superior product.

The trend now is the color-correcting primer and the serum -- in various formulas.

It's exhausting.  Just when I had convinced myself to stop looking for a Lumene replacement, I noticed Mineral Fusion and was ready to try it.  But the more you research a product the more frustrated you get.

I need to stop looking at this stuff.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Memorial Day