Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Judicious July!

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@KonaKat wrote:

Autodelivery: At one time, I would get special collections on AD because I used most of them and did not include a multitude of items used in hopes you would break over and buy them individually when the AD finished.

There was one I got in which the AD lasted one year. It included an item I really liked and if bought apart from the kit was more expensive than the kit.  I know many did the same as I did....bought the kit because the main product in same size as sold separately was cheaper.  Now, none of the other things in the kit tempted me to buy them separately once the AD ended but it enabled me to buy the main product at a cheaper price. I used to sell the other items on eBay but that got old.

I never used the AD products up at the rate at which they shipped so I was delaying or canceling a shipment. It got to be a pain so I haven't done AD for a very long time.

@KonaKat

Exactly.

My friend & I used to joke that people must be bathing in the stuff on AD cause no one can use things up that quickly.  It used to take me 2 years to use up a full size bareminerals powder foundation.  But yet they would sell it on AD every 3 months.  And those super sized bottles of Purity Made Simple used to last a whole year, but I bought the AD.  Needless to say I would cancel shipments all year.

@Oshare-girl

And that's where a Sharpie comes in.  Since I've started dating everything in the house with my trusty Sharpie I've got a much better feel for how long it actually takes to use a product.  It means I can coordinate with Costco's coupons. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

MAJOR TASTE TREAT ALERT!

KORU

If you can find this apple in your area, pounce!

So crisp!  Amazing texture and flavor.  I love this apple!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

Hello justbee and fellow compacters--this is my yearly post!  Tomorrow will be 2 years since we pulled into Albuquerque. We're still not complaing about the move although I know bee would rather live elsewhere. I'm still at my job that I got when we moved here, but with  DH that  is another story. In September he will be at his job 1 year. The first year here, he went through 3 jobs. He still isn't happy where he's at and he is still looking daily for something else. On a sad note, we lost our dog in early May. Brain tumor. She was 13 and a half years old, so she had a long life. She never seemed happy here--I'm sure she missed her big grassy yard and cooler temperatures. In September we have a trip planned to take the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad trip in Chama. We are really looking forward to it. On a compact note, I have SO many lipsticks and glosses that I lined them all up and I am only using one at a time, oldest to newest until it is gone! Take care everyone. I do lurk around the forums most days, but don't post regularly. Have a great rest of the summer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sundrops wrote:

Hello justbee and fellow compacters--this is my yearly post!  Tomorrow will be 2 years since we pulled into Albuquerque. We're still not complaing about the move although I know bee would rather live elsewhere. I'm still at my job that I got when we moved here, but with  DH that  is another story. In September he will be at his job 1 year. The first year here, he went through 3 jobs. He still isn't happy where he's at and he is still looking daily for something else. On a sad note, we lost our dog in early May. Brain tumor. She was 13 and a half years old, so she had a long life. She never seemed happy here--I'm sure she missed her big grassy yard and cooler temperatures. In September we have a trip planned to take the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad trip in Chama. We are really looking forward to it. On a compact note, I have SO many lipsticks and glosses that I lined them all up and I am only using one at a time, oldest to newest until it is gone! Take care everyone. I do lurk around the forums most days, but don't post regularly. Have a great rest of the summer.

@sundrops

It's funny, but I think of you often and wonder what you've been up to.  Whenever something happens in our little brown town, I wonder what you might have thought of it.

How 'bout them recent murders?  Juuuuuust kidding.  Sort of.

So sorry to hear about the dog.  But I would feel blessed if ours lasted 13 and a half years.  He's already eight and I'm getting tense.  I know what you mean about the dog having adjustment issues.  We moved here with my Boxer and she never quite fell in love with the place.  The climate was different, the environment was different, and she left too many human, canine and feline family members behind.  She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and died shortly after her first year here.  The houseplant I received from a coworker when we lost her is still going strong 21 years later.

We still haven't done the train yet, can you believe it?  And we're still trying to get to the Bisti Badlands.  Someday...

Keep lurking and post soon!

Bisti

Bisti

Bisti

Respected Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

Hi Compactors

I haven't been on here in a while.  I hope everyone is ok.  I'm still trying to get rid of stuff, I had a few setbacks but I think I'm going to be ok.  I know I'm going to be ok because I've been considering either selling or donating my dolls.  I've checked ebay but I don't know if it's worth the hassle. They're mostly Barbies from the late 80's & early 90's.  I'm also considering selling my old broken down house.  I'm tired of repairs.  It's paid for but it's a very depressing place. 

I'm a day late by Happy 4th of July

@kitty45,  let us know what you ultimately do with these if you dont mind. I have collectibles that I really dont want but havent had the backbone to get rid of them just yet. They are worthless and besides that, just not things I want to decorate with or deal with even if I had the room to put them.  These days, I really like clean streamlined spaces with minimum clutter.  And I certainly no longer want to spend my time dusting things.

Respected Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

The TSV may be a good deal for some but look at what you currently have, regardless of brand. Do you really need it?

Houses can become money pits. Some people invest in homes for lifetime use but fail to recognize that the home may not be suitable if mobility issues arise. That beautiful huge lawn can become expensive if someone has to be hired to maintain it weekly.

I agree about the tsv's. I almost just fell for the skinn special on Evine.  Just had some of the products I wanted to try and others I dont mind. But, I paused and then decided against it. I dont need anything and I dont want to bring anything more into my stash until I dwindle my collection. I am making progress but it has been slow going lately. Plus, I moved away from skinn for the most part and I would like to stick to my plan.  If I bought the tsv, it would have brought in at least 5 to 6 more products.  

Staying the course is easier these days but it still needs constant mindfulness. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@KonaKat wrote:

The TSV may be a good deal for some but look at what you currently have, regardless of brand. Do you really need it?

Houses can become money pits. Some people invest in homes for lifetime use but fail to recognize that the home may not be suitable if mobility issues arise. That beautiful huge lawn can become expensive if someone has to be hired to maintain it weekly.

@KonaKat

The same thing can be said about autodelivery.  I fell into that trap -- thought I was saving money by buying discounted products in a bundle.  I just couldn't use them quickly enough and couldn't push back on delivery anymore.  The end result was wasted product and wasted money.  And wasted time and energy.

The one smart thing I did when I bought the house was choosing a one-story home.  Always fond of stairs and believed a house wasn't a home without them.  But I'm realistic about certain things -- like my knees and carrying a hundred-pound geriatric dog up and down stairs.

But I look at all the windows in my house.  Oh, there are plenty.  Large ones.  Weird shapes, too.  The day will come when I'll have to replace them all.  I'm hoping I'll be dead before that happens.

Something that never occurred to me when I was so busy signing that stack of paperwork.

I dont know how I feel about house ownership but I would love a rancher. I miss having a yard even though I know it needs a lot of upkeep.

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Yesterday I almost tossed a lot of my BE shadows.  But then not sure what made me think of it and I did a finger swatch test instead of the brush and boy were some of them pretty.  Will I use them I don't know but back in my box they went. I did get rid of two though,  it is something I guess.  I probably should just pull the plug on them.  I have had them for sooooooo long and barely touched them. Not sure what makes me think I will use them now but I put some in my mu basket.  So glad my BE collecting days are behind me.  Too many little pots. 

I hope everyone had a nice holiday.  It was great having off for a few days.  I can get use to that.  Back to the grind tomorrow. 

@aprilskiesProbably about 7 years ago I finally got rid of my BE loose shadows.  I had collected so many from kits but I never used them.  They were just too messy for me.  I put them all in a box and gave it to a friend in one crack.  And I haven't missed them since.  It actually was a relief to get rid of them.  I also used to have a ton of mini lipglosses from Smashbox, back in the day when a TSV used to cost less than $30.  I got a kit of mini lipglosses on AD and I still couldn't use them up fast enough.

There are certain brands that I just love to buy from.  UD being one of them.  But I think my collecting days are over.  I got rid of all my Naked palettes and have just the 6-pan customizable palette.  I'm finding that 6 shades are more than enough.  In fact, there are still a couple shades that I rarely use out of the 6.  BTW, this is my 2017 pan-that-palette and I know that I'm not going to be able to finish it.  I'll probably finish one more shade completely by the end of the year, which will be a grand total of 2 shades finished.  I was too ambitious again.  Next year I think I will pan one of my mini palettes from Tarte.  This is ridiculous planning.  The year is just half way done and I'm already thinking about what I will pan next year.

@Oshare-girl,  I know,  I probably should just pull the bandaid on the BE shadows, I wouldnt miss them one bit really.  I will see, if I dont use any of them coming up, they will go the way of the trash. Unfortunately, I dont know anyone that would want them but even if I did, they are pretty old and I wouldnt feel right. I know they say they dont expire but.....

I am impressed though, you were able to part with your urban decay naked palettes.  Thats a big one. I have a problem parting with palettes but I think it is just because mine are just barely used, otherwise, I am not attached to them. The only thing I will say, I love the packaging on some of them. I wish cosmetic companies would think through the process and make them usable for other things.  For ex, pencil cases, paper clips, hair ties or something. It is a shame to throw some of the pretty packaging out.  I have two chocolate bar palettes that if I EVER finish in this lifetime, I am going to try and take the pan out. It seems to be all in one piece.

And yes, isnt it funny how we have to plan out our makeup. You are doing good though with pan the palette.  At least you are finishing up some shades.  That has to be gratifying. I am going to try and start again but being summer, I am not sure how well that will go.  I am sweating by the time I am out the door and even if I am not, it only takes 5 mins in that humidity.   But, I havent touched it in at least two months now and this stuff isnt going to use itself.

Respected Contributor

I have started my decluttering again. So far, I have gotten more stuff out.  I am not going to make it a big production again, but over the summer will start going  through more stuff and making some hard decisions, the best I can anyway. It feels good to get more out. This time I need to do it slowly. I get too depressed otherwise plus, it helps with impulse purchases too, it helps me think a little more before bringing in more stuff. 

I am even considering selling some mu brushes.  I know,  go lil compactor. I have some expensive brushes which I really dont use and dont really see myself using honestly so I might try and sell them. I hate selling but these are small enough that I can deal with the process. I do love mu brushes but dont even use a quarter of what I have. It is time to right size the collection.

I hope everyone is doing well.

@just bee, thanks for the apple recommendation. I will keep my eye out. At the moment, I am all appled out, but always willing to try a new variety.    

Trusted Contributor

@sundrops wrote:

@sundrops My condolences, it's never easy.  Like @just bee said, I would be happy if our doggy lived as long as yours.  He's a Cavalier King Charles so he will age quickly and probably have a cardiac problem.  I have set my expectations low...

Congratulations on the job!  That's really good to have found something good on the first try.  I hope things turn around for your DH.

Good job on the lip products. One by one until they're done.