Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- JANUARY!

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

You know, this experiment of trying to use what I have is an eye opener really.  One thing I have been missing is a physical facial exfoliater once in a while and I wouldn't let myself buy one because I have other things that do the job that I really don't even use.  Just recently I learned of one and went searching.  It was one by Rodan and Fields and it was 80 bucks.  Um, just no. no more expensive skincare.  I just never see a difference except for my lighter pocket.  I will spare you all a long winded epiphany but as I was searching for others that are eco-friendly, evil micro beads, I realized I have a humongous bag of epsom salt that I bought a while back when I envisioned long luxurious baths in a bathtub I barely fit in Smiley Sad.  Anyhoo,  I looked it up and think it is okay to use on the face so I will be trying it out soon. I am just going to add some to my facial cleanser and try it out that way before needing to make specific scrubs. Hopefully it doesn't dry me out. This bag used for this purpose will last for 50 years or more and will be part of my estate. Smiley Happy. So, the motto, think about what you have on hand already that can be repurposed.  A few bucks saved. 

Have a a nice Monday, Everyone. 

I'm repurposing what's left in a 16-ounce bottle of philosophy's shear splendor shampoo.  Something looked not quite right with the formula, but it still has that killer lemon scent.  I used it to wash my hands and it's a great hand soap.

As for exfoliating, I stopped using scrubs and special products a long time ago.  My Konjac sponge has made a difference -- I even notice a difference when I use baby wipes to take off makeup.  I use a body Buf-Puf in the shower.

What would happen if you mixed sugar or baking soda with your cleanser?  I did check out epsom salts online and there are some articles about use on the face.  You can mix it with a facial cleanser to exfoliate.  Hmm.  Amazing what we have sitting around the house for us to use...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

You know, this experiment of trying to use what I have is an eye opener really.  One thing I have been missing is a physical facial exfoliater once in a while and I wouldn't let myself buy one because I have other things that do the job that I really don't even use.  Just recently I learned of one and went searching.  It was one by Rodan and Fields and it was 80 bucks.  Um, just no. no more expensive skincare.  I just never see a difference except for my lighter pocket.  I will spare you all a long winded epiphany but as I was searching for others that are eco-friendly, evil micro beads, I realized I have a humongous bag of epsom salt that I bought a while back when I envisioned long luxurious baths in a bathtub I barely fit in Smiley Sad.  Anyhoo,  I looked it up and think it is okay to use on the face so I will be trying it out soon. I am just going to add some to my facial cleanser and try it out that way before needing to make specific scrubs. Hopefully it doesn't dry me out. This bag used for this purpose will last for 50 years or more and will be part of my estate. Smiley Happy. So, the motto, think about what you have on hand already that can be repurposed.  A few bucks saved. 

Have a a nice Monday, Everyone. 

I'm repurposing what's left in a 16-ounce bottle of philosophy's shear splendor shampoo.  Something looked not quite right with the formula, but it still has that killer lemon scent.  I used it to wash my hands and it's a great hand soap.

As for exfoliating, I stopped using scrubs and special products a long time ago.  My Konjac sponge has made a difference -- I even notice a difference when I use baby wipes to take off makeup.  I use a body Buf-Puf in the shower.

What would happen if you mixed sugar or baking soda with your cleanser?  I did check out epsom salts online and there are some articles about use on the face.  You can mix it with a facial cleanser to exfoliate.  Hmm.  Amazing what we have sitting around the house for us to use...

Yea, I dont use treatment products like I think I am especially after I feel I did more damage to my skin than not with them years ago.  Why I keep getting lulled into thinking otherwise is a mystery to me.  Although, once in a while I like a good scrub.  But I didnt want to buy a product I was going to use once every 3 months or so or whenever the urge hit me. I have tried the sugar in my cleanser trick but it seemed to dissolve too quickly, but only tried that once a couple years ago. Yes, I bought a big bag with bigger granules for that purpose too.  Baking soda I havent tried but I read it was drying and I am already dry so.....and yes, I have a big bag of that too.  That went with my bath fantasy. The more I talk the crazier I sound. Woman Embarassed Maybe this is a good thing. 

I also have a big tub of clay powder.  Yup, for my clay masks I was suppose to do.  Well, I already know clay dries me out but I thought the sensitive one would be okay. Yup it dried me out plus I have finally learned I am just too lazy for all of this stuff. It takes time.  The funny part is that this survived all of my declutters and I thought it finally bit the dust on the last one but I somehow stuck it in my closet.  Well, I keep seeing charcoal cleanser, clay this and that, so what I am going to try is just sprinking a little bit in my cleanser with some oil and see what that does.  I already put some in a spice jar that I kept to repurpose so it is easy to reach for. I will add a bit of oil in it to.   I wont give it away because it has expired, not that I think clay expires after all it has been in the earth for tens of years, but I dont like to give away old products.

I have had no problem in the past throwing things out and even full products I didnt even use but I want to try and use what I have.  At the end of the year, I will reassess and toss what I need to if I havent used it or feel I didnt like it.

And in the spirit of using things up or making use of them, it will save me money. I am really going to try and not purchase any beauty items this year.  Only what I need.  I was going to allow myself two wants but am rethinking that. This is will be a challenge.

This is my use up year. 

My name is aprilskies and I am a product junkie.   

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

And in the spirit of using things up or making use of them, it will save me money. I am really going to try and not purchase any beauty items this year.  Only what I need.  I was going to allow myself two wants but am rethinking that. This is will be a challenge.

This is my use up year. 

My name is aprilskies and I am a product junkie.   

Right now the only thing I need is toothpaste.  Then I'll need to restock deodorant.  Eventually I'll need some kind of hair conditioner.  But as of January 2017, I have enough facial cleanser, CC cream, blush, mascara, shadow, liner, lip balm... well, everything.  I will need to buy more mascara and facial cleanser in six months.

So what does this mean?  Does it mean I should have a no-buy winter and spring?  Yes.  That's precisely what it means.

But what am I currently looking at buying?  There's a sale... 30% off...

I'm thinking about stocking pure grace spritz.  Mind you, I still have almost two full bottles.  But at least it's something I use regularly.  I don't need to buy it now, but it's on sale now.  I refuse to pay full price for it because I'm cheap.

I have time to mull this over.  But if I do buy it, I won't have to buy it again for a very long time.

P.S. Don't fret over baking soda.  There's a hundred and one uses for the stuff.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@just bee Whenever I find the perfect product to use for something, it's almost guaranteed it will be discontinued long about two weeks from next Tuesday. I loved the Supersmile mouthwash. Gone. I never wanted another lipstick or face primer once I found the ones from PTR. Oops. And does Clinique still make their Water Therapy line of moisturizers? Nope. What's that about? Am I more than three standard deviations from the average consumer? Do I have an affinity for the obsolete? If I every have the money to invest in the stock market, I'd better not pick my own stocks...

I don't know if you are referring to the pre-rinse or not, but it is still available.

(A170285)

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies, I once got a cool thing for exfoliating from Bobbi Brown. It was a small (very nice) glass jar or bottle filled with microparticles of something scrubby. You could tip the bottle and pour out a small quantity of the particles through the narrow opening, and add it to any liquid face soap to make a scrub. It was gentle and a real pleasure to use--and just what you seem to want if they still make it. The bottle was pleasing and though small, plenty enough for years, probably--I passed it along to my daughter because my skin went through a delicate stage and couldn't tolerate any kind of scrub or brush at all.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the hint, @geezerette. But I don't use that pre-rinse, it was a real mouthwash, kinda blue colored. For some reason, I really liked using it. I think a leftover bottle occasionally turns up online, but at $20 a bottle or more. That price isn't happening for me! 

Trusted Contributor

Subject: Keeping things "for good"

Well, friends, forgive me please if you have beaten this one to death while I wasn't noticing, but yesterday I was musing on the habit of keeping things "for good." I have thrown out many lovely-but-barely-worn clothes, for example, because I kept them "for good." Apparently, I seldom went anywhere good enough for the clothes, but they were usually the most expensive and nicest ones I owned. Same with having six bottles of perfectly good but ordinary body lotion, and getting an amazing bottle as a gift, only to toss it out ten years later, still half-full. Seems taking an ordinary shower isn't good enough for the amazing lotion. Or I had to use all the ordinary lotion as the price I paid before the amazing one.  I'm sure this habit has something to do with feeling lack rather than abundance, and I'm sure I learned it in childhood somehow. But I want to use the dickens out of my best clothes and lotions, even if I never have anything I like as much again! You can see that this is quite a serious crisis. All my best stuff may really and truly be left as my "estate."

Trusted Contributor

I made it thru QVC Beauty Day with NO purchases! True, I had no interest in the IT TSV but it was still amazing that I didn't buy anything. Other special days, I would have been drawn in to buy something. I will count it as a win for 2017!

I also repurpose items from my stash. Hair conditioner that I didn't like on my hair, used as a shaving cream on my legs. It works really well! Shower gels used as hand soap at my sink. I recently found 2 big containers of facial pumpkin scented scrub from Serious Skin Care. Totally forgot about them after I tried them and found it too abrasive on my face. I'm going to put it in the shower and use them up as a light body scrub.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Right now the only thing I need is toothpaste.  Then I'll need to restock deodorant.  Eventually I'll need some kind of hair conditioner.  But as of January 2017, I have enough facial cleanser, CC cream, blush, mascara, shadow, liner, lip balm... well, everything.  I will need to buy more mascara and facial cleanser in six months.

So what does this mean?  Does it mean I should have a no-buy winter and spring?  Yes.  That's precisely what it means.

But what am I currently looking at buying?  There's a sale... 30% off...

I'm thinking about stocking pure grace spritz.  Mind you, I still have almost two full bottles.  But at least it's something I use regularly.  I don't need to buy it now, but it's on sale now.  I refuse to pay full price for it because I'm cheap.

I have time to mull this over.  But if I do buy it, I won't have to buy it again for a very long time.

P.S. Don't fret over baking soda.  There's a hundred and one uses for the stuff.

Those sales are tough especially on things we know we love and use.  Those I can't resist all. Why pay full price when you don't have to especially if they don't go bad. To this day I still miss my amazing grace. Another product I am miffed they changed.  To me, my last couple of purchases were just diffferent and didn't have the same lasting power on me.  I so wish they would go back to the same formula. I really miss it. Now that is one thing I wish I had stocked up on.  

Nah, I am not worried about the baking soda.  It is the mental dialogue when I buy these things I find amusing.  

Respected Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@aprilskies, I once got a cool thing for exfoliating from Bobbi Brown. It was a small (very nice) glass jar or bottle filled with microparticles of something scrubby. You could tip the bottle and pour out a small quantity of the particles through the narrow opening, and add it to any liquid face soap to make a scrub. It was gentle and a real pleasure to use--and just what you seem to want if they still make it. The bottle was pleasing and though small, plenty enough for years, probably--I passed it along to my daughter because my skin went through a delicate stage and couldn't tolerate any kind of scrub or brush at all.

Thanks. I know which product you are talking about. At one point, I wanted to try it when I was a bit more into Bobbi brown.   I am just going to use things I have on hand.  For the once in a while when I get that urge to scrub, what I have should work just fine and spares me from adding another product.