Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- JANUARY!

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

ETA: Oh -- I forgot to list my number one important thing!  I buy the pack of two 48-ounce jars of Skippy creamy peanut butter.  Oh -- and dishwashing liquid.  And gloves for food preparation.  Don't ask.

I am not sure if all areas are the same, but right now, skippy is on sale for 7.49 for those two big jars.  I had to pass since I still have a jar and a half of another peanut butter of theirs - I think it is the Kirkland natural brand or something like that.

Yes... I noticed the Skippy sale in their coupon book.  I was having my peanut butter dinner at work while my coworker was waxing poetic about her Noosa yogurt.  She had just polished off the coconut variety and thought it was snacky.

"Check out the sugar content," I said.

Yeah, 30g of sugar is always snacky.  Skippy has 3g.  Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

For me at CostCo: pork chops, organic chicken breasts, ground bison, mashed potatoes, haricots verts, brie, Menage à Trois cabernet, mixed roasted nuts, chopped kale salad (which I stir fry) and tuna.

I'm addicted to those green beans.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Since the ComPact began I’ve been limiting my purchases to necessities or things that are practical and make my life better.  I’m not sure how Elton John tickets fit in there, but occasionally I fall off the wagon (yet that’s becoming rare).  I was thinking about the things I spent money on last year that made a real difference.  Things like:

An electric tea kettle (boils water FAST!)

A pile of comfortable socks (cheap, but they look and feel luxurious)

A big pack of pens (I write a lot at work)

An electric toothbrush (finally replaced the dead one)

A new pair of glasses (I like to see)

A bunch of pants that aren’t denim – they’re not even cotton (currently on sale for 40% off and I’m sitting on my hands – I already bought plenty that were 25% off)

A haircut (finally found someone who knows what to do with this mop)

Yard and tree maintenance (painful but necessary)

Resin treatment on my front teeth (smoothed out those bumpy-edged choppers)

What were your best purchases of 2016?

Honored Contributor

I'm so annoyed.  I've been using two products on my face: Lumene's Bright Now Vitamin C BB Serum (sheer finish, no color) and Time Freeze Anti-Age Color Correcting Cream.  I mix the two and that's my foundation.  Sometimes I just use the colorless serum.

Right now I have two backup bottles of the serum and one backup tube of the CC cream.  Lumene is overhauling their products again.  Worse, their products are getting harder to find.  Walgreens and CVS always stocked a good variety and offered regular sale prices.  More and more, the products aren't available in the stores.

Fine.  I adjusted and started ordering them from Walgreens online and on sale.  Now the products are dwindling online.

I've checked other sources (Lumene, DermStore, Ulta, Walmart, CVS, Target, Amazon) and things are looking sketchy.

I don't want to stockpile the stuff before it disappears but I'm also not looking forward to having to replace what works for me. 

I must pout.

Trusted Contributor

I was on a mission this morning to declutter - threw out total of 21 beauty items combo of skincare, hair stuff, makeup!!! This was a major purge for me. Some of the items were from TSV kits bought in 2012/2013! I had been hoarding them since they had been great kits but since then I've bought newer items that are comparable items. Decided to cut the ties with the old stuff and use my newer items before they too get old! What a concept! LOL

Some of the items were Bare Minerals...a brand that seems to be slowly dying on QVC....not 1 single show all December. No signs of it in January yet either. Guess it could be good for me since I technically don't "need" anything. I will keep my 1 TSV auto delivery that should have 2 more shipments for sentimental reasons and I actually really love all items in this kit. If it's their last one, I loved it! Funny how we get connected to a brand. I know if they leave QVC, I'll still be able to buy from their website or other stores but I always enjoyed watching them on tv.

This weekend, I'm fighting a cold/cough so I will be staying in. Planning on watching movies and NFL playoff games. Going to force myself to be productive and grab a pile of clothes from my closet that are unused and decide donate/throw out/keep. Hopefully by end of weekend, the closet is going to look better.

Trusted Contributor

Just Bee - Elton John tickets to fit in! They will make your life better by giving you a much needed dose of fun!!!!!! I hope you enjoy the concert. We all need a dose of fun every now and then to shake off the dullness of every day life.

Is it bad that I really need to think about what were my 2016 best purchases? I know I bought a ton of stuff...but what was the best? There were several just ok items.

Off the top of my head:

2 pairs of fleece fuzzy pajamas! I have been using them daily for the past couple months and will continue to use them rest of winter. They had been a clearance price too.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I'm so annoyed.  I've been using two products on my face: Lumene's Bright Now Vitamin C BB Serum (sheer finish, no color) and Time Freeze Anti-Age Color Correcting Cream.  I mix the two and that's my foundation.  Sometimes I just use the colorless serum.

Right now I have two backup bottles of the serum and one backup tube of the CC cream.  Lumene is overhauling their products again.  Worse, their products are getting harder to find.  Walgreens and CVS always stocked a good variety and offered regular sale prices.  More and more, the products aren't available in the stores.

Fine.  I adjusted and started ordering them from Walgreens online and on sale.  Now the products are dwindling online.

I've checked other sources (Lumene, DermStore, Ulta, Walmart, CVS, Target, Amazon) and things are looking sketchy.

I don't want to stockpile the stuff before it disappears but I'm also not looking forward to having to replace what works for me. 

I must pout.

I would pout too, for sure.  I don't have many holy grails so I get quite miffed when they go changing one of them.  I love the original Skinn 24 hour youth cream for the winter.  They changed the formula and I haven't used it for a couple of years now.  Do you know, I still miss it. 

Good luck!!!!  Hopefully, they are just changing the packaging or something. 

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Just Bee - Elton John tickets to fit in! They will make your life better by giving you a much needed dose of fun!!!!!! I hope you enjoy the concert. We all need a dose of fun every now and then to shake off the dullness of every day life.

Is it bad that I really need to think about what were my 2016 best purchases? I know I bought a ton of stuff...but what was the best? There were several just ok items.

Off the top of my head:

2 pairs of fleece fuzzy pajamas! I have been using them daily for the past couple months and will continue to use them rest of winter. They had been a clearance price too.

I know, same here.  I can't think of something that really helped or changed my life but I know I bought a ton.   I guess one thing that just comes to mind would have to be a latte maker. I do love it but it is a one trick pony and I am not sure if I would repurchase. But, I am enjoying it. I need to think about my purchases last year. 

Good luck with decluttering.  I am starting to do this again too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

FWell, I just pulled out my last body moisturizer from my linen closet.  My very last bottle.  How thrilled am I.  Although, I still have plenty of balms and oils I am still thrilled. 

well, today I realized I need to buy a new fan and a new hair dryer.  The fan died but at least I got my use out of it but the hair dryer still works but the paint is chipping off and I find little red flakes on my vanity but worse on my face.  So, I think I will be replacing it soon cause I can't have that.  I haven't blown my hair dry in a long while but this winter I need to before leaving home.  It is too cold and I don't want to walk around with a wet head. So I don't have a choice.   I hate to replace the fan.  It was a big floor tower fan which I loved but I am also loving the floor space. Lol.  Hmmmmm

it is the middle of January and no unneeded beauty purchases just yet. 

Ugh, and believe it or not, just broke  my special coffee maker pot. Now do I replace it, hmmm.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I must pout.

Feel free to pout, we understand.  I just got done saying how I wouldn't stockpile products too.  But I have a Bareminerals cleansing oil that I just love and it's been on their Last Chance page for a year now because they introduced a new cleansing oil.  The price dropped again and I suspect this is the last of the backstock so I ordered one more bottle (it was free shipping on all orders, hooray!), bringing my stash to one open bottle and three backups.  Eeek!  I have other cleansing oils & balms but this one is my favorite so I feel safe knowing that I have enough to the last another year.  It's irritating when our HG's get discontinued.  It's irritating that Bareminerals puts the new cleansing oil description under the discontinued cleansing oil description.  No, I don't want to try your new (more expensive) product.  I like the old one and so do many other people according to the reviews.  Irritating.