Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- JANUARY!

@aprilskies wrote:

Alright, I think it is time to hang up my keyboard for the night.  I am having trouble sleeping and am getting a bit frustrated.  Anyone have any good remedies that don't include taking a pill?

Sleep is a strange thing.  Normally I can sleep on a meat hook -- no problems -- but every now and then I just feel awake.  This is a problem because I work nights and I don't have a lot of time to sleep between the time I get home and the time I have to get up and do it all over again.  It also doesn't help that I am a lark and not an owl.  I like waking up before the birds.

Alcohol and/or food before sleep are always frowned upon, but a glass of red wine and a bowl of linguine works like magic for me.  I work with nurses who swear by Benadryl or melatonin, but I don't take anything but vitamins and fish oil.  Lack of sleep can make a person psychotic and many of my patients are up for days.  I get calls during the night from those who are desperate for sleep.  Usually on the days when I've had maybe two hours.

They say you can't make up sleep, but I sure try.  Sometimes I get more than enough on my days off.  When I can't sleep it's because I can't turn off my brain.  If I get frustrated ("aaarrgghh -- I can't sleep and I have to go to work in three hours!") I'm not going to relax.  If I wake up and can't get back to sleep I get up and do something.

Sleep hygiene is crucial.  Light and temperature have to be just right.  Sometimes moving to another room helps.  It's different for everyone.  I have to sleep when it's light and I have a house full of windows in a very sunny state.  There are days when I can easily slip into a coma and there are days I can't fall asleep.  Or days I do fall asleep and then I wake up three hours later wide awake.

Last week I woke up and just gave in to it.  I watched the Breaking Bad marathon.  The next day I put on a recorded episode and was out in minutes.

Different things work for different people.  Warm bath, herbal tea, music, a book, white noise...  I bought one of those noise machines for a class presentation and actually had to use it one day.  It kinda helped.  But really the noise I like best is the sound of a dog breathing.

Temperature is crucial for me.  I can't sleep if I'm too cold or too warm.  I notice that when I'm awake I can get drowsy at a particular temperature at work or in a class or on the couch watching TV.  It's like being injected with a drug and I can feel myself giving in to it.  I love that feeling of dozing off.  Not when I'm driving, though.

There's also that old theatre exercise I used to do.  You're lying on your back and you're on the beach.  You focus on a part of your body, then allow it to relax and just melt into the sand.  Start with your foot and work your way up your body, part by part.  Sometimes you can be out before you get past your knees.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

This sleep thing reminds me of yesterday.  Normally I get off work on Friday morning, then go home and sleep like a dead thing.  There are Fridays when I'll sleep, wake up briefly to eat or drink something, then go back to sleep and wake up Saturday, back on a normal day schedule.

But on Thursday night we had a winter storm.  It snowed all night and the temperature dropped to 14 degrees.  This means that all the roads and bridges had iced over.  I was late getting out of work because nurses were late getting into work.  I drove slowly all the way home trying to avoid other cars that were sliding around me.  Lots of accidents.

By the time I got home I was awake.  Stayed up and watched movies until four.  Slept a couple hours then woke up and ate dinner and watched TV.  Went back to sleep and got up at four AM. 

Any little thing that disrupts your schedule will disrupt your sleep.  A snowstorm disrupted my schedule.  Many of my patients can't sleep because they have no schedule.  No structure.

My dog has more structure.  He has a schedule.  His schedule depends on my schedule.  He wakes up and has breakfast.  Then he naps.  Then he has an outing, comes home, has lunch and takes a nap.  Wakes up, has dinner and takes a nap.  This is normalcy.

Many of my patients don't have that.  They have no schedule so they don't eat and sleep at specific times. 

Might explain why I'm not very spontaneous.  I like to have a purpose, a schedule, a time frame.  A list of things to do, a reason to get up and get dressed and get out and do.

And what I have to do now is finish my tea and walk the dog when it warms up.  There's still some snow on the ground.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Yea, I don't know JB.  This sleep thing is a mystery for me.  I tried not drinking coffee at night it didn't help.  I too can't sleep when it is too hot or cold.  I will say that is one of my problems.  It is too hot sometimes but that that be me. ☺️  So not much I can do there. My fan broke so I haven't looked into a new one just yet so I open a window but not sure I like that option.  I also think I have too much in my mind so I am going to start to do some relaxing exercises at night.  Lack of sleep is a terrible thing.  It might be different if I didn't have to work.  Yes, I can't imagine your patients with no sleep.  Especially when they are dealing with so many other mental issues. 

Respected Contributor

Well today since it was snowing out I went through my closet and pulled out some shorts and put them in donation pile.   I finally had to part with my shorty short shorts.  Yes, I know, tragic.  Was I really that skinny at one point.  Well, I am never going to be or want to be that skinny again and nor do I wear my shorts that short anymore so they have to go.  Too bad, some of them were so cute. 

I also cleaned some of my brushes. I will clean the rest tomorrow.   I am a brush lover.  However, if I can't do my makeup with the amount of brushes I have, I have no business having makeup.  I will try and resist all brushes going forward.  Phew, how many brushes can a girl have?  Yup, tons.   I am trying to organize them and only have out the ones I use and then rotate as needed.  This way I don't feel they are all dirty at once. 

The snow was so nice today, I enjoyed it but boy did I feel stuck inside. It just wasn't worth fighting the mess out there. I wonder what this winter will bring. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dogs eating and napping,  isn't that something, JB.  So effortless for them.  How frustrated am I when I am wide awake and I get to hear my kitties zzzzzzing away.  Stupid felines. Pfrffffffff! 

Alright, I won't flood the thread with posts I promise.  I am feeling a little cagey after being inside all day.  The roads better be clear tomorrow. 😡

Trusted Contributor

It is so nice coming to this thread and reading all of your inspiring, funny, and positive posts.  Really cheers me up!

My FIL died right after Christmas, and I've been feeling terribly sad.  Another not so pretty death that has pushed my mind to think about life.  What is it all about?

HEP and ComPacting were not going well before my FIL's death.  It's a good thing that I do not shop while I grieve.  However, I shopped before he died and realize that I must put the brakes on this behavior.  I want to live a more meaningful life, one with a purpose, self-control, goals, and balance.  There are things I want to achieve and changes to be made.  I am going to make a list of everything I want to accomplish in 2017 and put together a plan to get it done.  I no longer want to participate in retail therapy.  It is too expensive!!

That's it for now.  Sorry to be a downer, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Yea, I don't know JB.  This sleep thing is a mystery for me.  I tried not drinking coffee at night it didn't help.  I too can't sleep when it is too hot or cold.  I will say that is one of my problems.  It is too hot sometimes but that that be me. ☺️  So not much I can do there. My fan broke so I haven't looked into a new one just yet so I open a window but not sure I like that option.  I also think I have too much in my mind so I am going to start to do some relaxing exercises at night.  Lack of sleep is a terrible thing.  It might be different if I didn't have to work.  Yes, I can't imagine your patients with no sleep.  Especially when they are dealing with so many other mental issues. 

When I gave up coffee I really reduced my caffeine intake.  When I drank coffee (and I started early because my family were big coffee consumers), I'd drink it all day long.  I've eliminated cola and I drink caffeinated tea before I go to work and when I wake up in the morning on my days off.  I have two mugs and that's it.  If I want more tea, I'll have herbal.  I don't drink any of the energy concoctions that my coworkers swill all night long.

You gotta have a working fan.  During the summer, our ceiling fans don't stop.  If I want to sleep I need air blowing in my face and a steady hum from the fan.  Another thing that helps is Vicks VapoRub.  That scent just relaxes me.

Vanilla is a stress reliever so there might be a scent out there that will help you.  My mother used to cut English lavender from the garden and put it inside my pillowcase.  I can't tell you how many times the dried, hard stems stabbed me in the face.  Not conducive to a good night's rest.

Exercise helps.  Not before bed, of course, but wearing yourself out during the day will help get you in the mood for rest.  Stretching, yoga -- that helps ease your mind.

Have you tried meditation?  Hypnosis?  Sounds weird, but sometimes if I put a pair of warm socks on my feet I'll fall asleep faster.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Well today since it was snowing out I went through my closet and pulled out some shorts and put them in donation pile.   I finally had to part with my shorty short shorts.  Yes, I know, tragic.  Was I really that skinny at one point.  Well, I am never going to be or want to be that skinny again and nor do I wear my shorts that short anymore so they have to go.  Too bad, some of them were so cute. 

I also cleaned some of my brushes. I will clean the rest tomorrow.   I am a brush lover.  However, if I can't do my makeup with the amount of brushes I have, I have no business having makeup.  I will try and resist all brushes going forward.  Phew, how many brushes can a girl have?  Yup, tons.   I am trying to organize them and only have out the ones I use and then rotate as needed.  This way I don't feel they are all dirty at once. 

The snow was so nice today, I enjoyed it but boy did I feel stuck inside. It just wasn't worth fighting the mess out there. I wonder what this winter will bring. 

Oh, I agree!  Shorts are cute!  They're adorable!  Until you put them on, of course.  Shorts worked for me when I was about six.  Strange, but I still have some in my closets.  I also have two pairs of capris and I've worn one pair once.  If I'm going to buy an item of clothing I'm going to want as much fabric as possible.  That means I want pants that start above my hips and fall below my ankles.  Shirts must have long sleeves.  None of those little no-show socks for me.

Better-half pushed the shorts thing and he still doesn't understand why I continue to wear pants during the summer.  Especially since my legs are one of my assets.  But then I can't wear a skirt without pantyhose.  I just can't go out with bare legs.

I walked into work the other night and the day nurses were in the middle of a conversation about underwear.  These were both young nurses (twenty-somethings) and nurses of "a certain age."  They all agreed on one thing: They didn't like bras and panties so they just didn't wear them.

Oh, no.  Not me.  I'm an underwear girl.  I won't even bring the garbage can back from the curb if I'm not wearing a bra.  I got my first bra (28 AA) when I was eight and by age 10 a bra had become a permanent part of my wardrobe.  I wouldn't leave the house without glasses; why would I go out without a bra?

Same with panties.  And again, I like fabric.  Utilitarian foundation and panties for me.  Lace is for wedding gowns -- not for underwear.  I like my underwear the way I like my shoes and my cars: Comfortable and dependable.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Dogs eating and napping,  isn't that something, JB.  So effortless for them.  How frustrated am I when I am wide awake and I get to hear my kitties zzzzzzing away.  Stupid felines. Pfrffffffff! 

Alright, I won't flood the thread with posts I promise.  I am feeling a little cagey after being inside all day.  The roads better be clear tomorrow. 😡

Flood away!  Writing is therapy.

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

It is so nice coming to this thread and reading all of your inspiring, funny, and positive posts.  Really cheers me up!

My FIL died right after Christmas, and I've been feeling terribly sad.  Another not so pretty death that has pushed my mind to think about life.  What is it all about?

HEP and ComPacting were not going well before my FIL's death.  It's a good thing that I do not shop while I grieve.  However, I shopped before he died and realize that I must put the brakes on this behavior.  I want to live a more meaningful life, one with a purpose, self-control, goals, and balance.  There are things I want to achieve and changes to be made.  I am going to make a list of everything I want to accomplish in 2017 and put together a plan to get it done.  I no longer want to participate in retail therapy.  It is too expensive!!

That's it for now.  Sorry to be a downer, but I just had to get this off my chest.

I was wondering why you hadn't been coming around.  I'm so sorry to hear your news.  No need to apologize -- this is where you can come to talk about anything.  (As long as the mods approve.)

But death is the great reminder.  It reminds us that we all have an expiration date and time, frankly, is running out.  And running out fast.

This past year was heavy with death.  I'm at the age where I'm seeing the departure of people who were a huge part of my personal history.  And that includes celebrity deaths.  I just discovered Peter Brown died last year.  I didn't even know his real name was Pierre Lind de Lappe.  Who was he?  An actor and one of my many schoolgirl crushes.  He was in Laredo from 1965 to 1967 and I never missed an episode.

In a year when David Bowie exits the stage, you know it won't be long until the entire British Invasion is wiped out.  Once Roger Daltrey rides off into the sunset, it's only a matter of time.

How Keith Richards manages to stick around is beyond me.  He really must donate himself to science.  But I digress.

Yes, this is an opportunity for you to renew your commitment to what's important.  And I'll tell you what I tell many of my patients.  If you lose someone, consider keeping what was important to that person alive.  What was something they did or something they loved or something they believed in that you can continue for them now that they're gone?  Was it donating to a particular charity?  Donating blood?  Volunteering?  Feeding the birds?  Helping others?  They had a purpose and now there's a vacancy.  Fill it.