Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- JANUARY!

[ Edited ]

Kathie66, I have the same plan for my mu this year. I want to use as much as I can and really test things out. If they dont work, I am tossing. I dont want to struggle through products and I want to get my collection down to things that work and I use.  I wish I had friends or family that would appreciate some stuff but I am about the only one I know that loves products.  Makeup for me is a weakness so this year I am only allowing myself two wants.  That is my limit.  That is the only way I can get myself to really focus on using what I have.  Good luck to me.

I have already tossed a mascara and an eyeliner that dried out.  I am sure there is plenty more as I work my way through.  I am looking forward to cleaning out my collection.

Your kids sound like keepers. Smiley Happy  How wonderful.

edited to say - reading all those books is quite an accomplishment.  I set out to read 50 and sadly didn't read any.  This year I am being more realistic and will try for 24.  2 a month.  Should be doable. 

Respected Contributor

l really love to read everyone's updates. Inspires me to keep trying.  Looking forward to 2017.

I am going to try and really make this year a "real" compacting year.  I have organized my skincare and mu and am ready to work through things and/or let things go.

Happy New Year!!

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

l really love to read everyone's updates. Inspires me to keep trying.  Looking forward to 2017.

I am going to try and really make this year a "real" compacting year.  I have organized my skincare and mu and am ready to work through things and/or let things go.

Happy New Year!!

It's tempting to come up with a resolution for each of the twelve months rather than one for the entire year.  I have resolutions for work and for home.  I think I want to do a slow purge in January.  That means that I have to throw away something, recycle something or give away something every day this month.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

You are lucky you dont need any medication. Keep up your good health,, Just Bee.  Stress does some crazy things to our system.  I think it is one of the things I need to manage better this year. If I am able to get into an exercise routine, it should help alot.

I didn't say I didn't need it.  If I go to a doctor it will be prescribed.  Eventually I'll have to go in.  (Probably on a stretcher!)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

It is a brand new year and it feels like a brand new start.  It is time to do things differently.  I am gonna challenge myself this year. Mostly, I think I just need to focus on having some fun which I know I have been lacking.  I have become a real homebody.  

I've noticed I've been sticking around the house on my days off and only go out if I have to.  I take the dog out and I enjoy that, but I avoid stores.

I was thinking about New Year's Eve.  When I was younger I felt I should have been doing something to celebrate.  I spent more New Year's Eves with ****** Clark than anyone else.  This concerned me.

Now that I'm older I want to be home on New Year's Eve and dread the thought of being out.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl - good luck with HEP this year.  Sugar is hard to eliminate. It is really in everything.  I have a quarter of the junk I use to keep around so I feel I am starting off the year on a good foot. I feel really motivated to do this and feel ready to get committed. I hope it is not just the excitement of the new year.  It is time to get fit.  I need to fit into my clothes again. I have gone shopping but really dont find much.  I dont like how I look in anything with the extra weight.

I have to say that even though my weight has fluctuated again, those prAna pants I bought still fit perfectly.  Getting back on track should be easier now that the holidays are over.

Some tips:

Think moderation.  No food should be forbidden.  If you love something, it's cruel to not allow yourself to enjoy it.  Just enjoy it less often.

Don't enjoy it when you're hungry.  A bowl of gelato is fine, but if you're hungry you'll eat the entire container in one sitting. 

Know the difference between a snack and a treat.  A truffle is a treat.  A whole box of truffles is not a snack.  An apple is a snack.

If a particular food is a problem for you, don't bring it into the house.  I've been off white cheddar popcorn for a while, but we have a whole case of microwave popcorn in the pantry.  I had some yesterday but it's just not the white stuff.  The problem with the cheddar popcorn is this: If a bag is in the house I will choose the popcorn over something else.  I'd rather grab a couple halos instead. 

Halos

Honored Contributor

@kathie66 wrote:

Happy New Year Friends!!

Looking back on my 2016 Compact I did ok. One goal was to concentrate on Supersizes, using up and giving away as many in the stash as I could. I ended up using 112 products of all sizes and giving away 42. Out of those 166 products, 27 were supersized. I still have more in the stash, but made a nice dent in them. I learned it takes a LONG time to use up a supersized product, and you really have to love them or you get real tired of them by about halfway thru. I am finishing the couple I have open and moving on to normal sizes for awhile. (that will probably be almost springtime!)

Another goal I meet this year was using up my Laura Geller Babycakes Blush Palette. Its been on my compact list for years it seems! I used every bit and even though I loved the product I am glad its gone. I did well in stopping the madness of adding to my Bath and Body products stash, I bought very little and shopped my stash. Makeup is a whole other story!  

So this brings me to my goals for 2017. I am going back to previous years goal (before my 2016 Supersize goal) of using up my non core brands of shower gel. By 2018, I really want my stash to just have the brands of shower gel that I absolutely love. Hopefully I can finish up the brands I dont love as handsoap this year. This goal was put on hold last year while I used up Supersizes. Another goal this year is to use my makeup in a new way. Instead of using something up till its gone, I want to take a few blushes from my stash, use them each quarter, and keep what works and get rid of what doesnt. Same thing with lip products, and eyeliner. I had started this with eyeshadow palettes, did ok but need to be much more ruthless this year and get rid of what eyeshadow doesnt work. And stop adding to my collection! I only want to use up what works in my makeup stash, and let go of what doesnt.

Another goal I meet was reading 42 books this year. My goal was30. I am pretty proud of myself! I set a goal of 30 again this year. I have to earn some college credits that my work is requiring this year, this may impact my pleasure reading. I will have required reading this year! (Wish me luck I am a little nervous about the classes)

As for fun I had alot this year!  My 50th birthday trip to Harry Potter World and Disney was amazing. My fun this year will be visting my kids, they are both done with college now. My daughter recieved her PHD in November. Her job is about 2 hours away and my sons job is 5 hours away. I plan on visting them every chance I get, being with them is always fun and renews my heart and soul. I love them so much and are so proud of them. I am also thankful that they like and make time to spend with me.

I hope your 2017 is all you want it to be my friends. I count myself so lucky to have your friendship and support. It means more to me than words can say. I wish you all a Happy and Healthy and Succesful compacting New Year!

XXOO Kathie

Finishing that LG blush palette is comparable to the Cubs winning the World Series.  It's huge.  Every day I brush some on and say to myself: There's always next year.  I guarantee I'll still be using it in 2018.

My love affair with scented shower gels is over.  Unfortunately I still have plenty in the stash.  Better-half used to shake his head and say, "It's just soap."  Now I'm saying it.  Next January I'll still have bottles in the closet.  Just fewer of them.

I hear ya on the supersizes.  I bought shampoo at Costco and the price was so good I bought two jugs.  I hate this stuff and I still have at least a bottle and a half left.  When will I learn?

As a former English major and would-be high school teacher, I salute you and aprilskies for reading so many books.  I know what you mean about required reading.  But don't fret about your classes -- you'll be surprised.

Congratulations to your kids for their degrees and their work.  I hope they enjoy what they're doing.  Sounds like you did something right!  Sometimes I think parenting is a lost art and I'm always impressed and encouraged when I encounter a healthy family.  Your family is one of the lucky ones!

Respected Contributor

Happy 2017 fellow Compacters! 

Last year was a pretty good year for me. I had a net of 42 items leave the house. It would have been higher but I did some shopping over the holidays, stocked up on some items that I know I will like and the prices were good. I tried to choose mostly products that I have used before and know I will like but I did buy a few new things too. 

I kind of went off on a tangent last year because I wanted to try to go cruelty free with as many products as I could so I bought a lot of new items and frankly, there's not many of them that I care for. I know it's hit or miss with trying new products, some I'm still trying to use up, some I just tossed. I did go back to a few tried and true favorites even though they're not cruelty free, like my Covergirl foundation and my Suave shampoo and conditioner. But I am still trying to shop as much cruelty free as I can without being obsessive about it. 

This year I want to try to continue to work thru as many unloved products as possible and unfortunately, there are still several here. I went overboard in July when SKINN has their anniversary sales and really don't like anything that I purchased. I ended up just tossing some and I'm again, still working on using up some of it and probably will be for months yet.

The goal for me hasn't changed, to try to have only products here that I use and love. No more over buying, even if it means paying for shipping! I'd love to actually buy a product because I need it, not just because it's a good price. I did that the other day for the first time in ages. My AM facial cleanser is just about gone, and I'm glad because I don't like it, so I bought a big 16oz jug of Kroger brand gentle face cleanser for $6 at the grocery store. It is a Cetaphil knock off apparently. I don't really care what I use to clean my face in the morning as long as it's not too drying, so hopefully if this one will be ok, I will be set for a year. And if I don't love it, it didn't cost much. 

I also follow a blog called Mary Organizes and they do a 91 day declutter challenge at the start of every new year, the latest one starts today. I've been following that the last couple of years and will again this year and it really helps kickstart the year.

Justbee-you might like it if you want to start purging in January. 

Here's to a great 2017 everyone!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom wrote:

Happy 2017 fellow Compacters! 

I kind of went off on a tangent last year because I wanted to try to go cruelty free with as many products as I could so I bought a lot of new items and frankly, there's not many of them that I care for. I know it's hit or miss with trying new products, some I'm still trying to use up, some I just tossed. I did go back to a few tried and true favorites even though they're not cruelty free, like my Covergirl foundation and my Suave shampoo and conditioner. But I am still trying to shop as much cruelty free as I can without being obsessive about it. 

The goal for me hasn't changed, to try to have only products here that I use and love. No more over buying, even if it means paying for shipping! I'd love to actually buy a product because I need it, not just because it's a good price. I did that the other day for the first time in ages. My AM facial cleanser is just about gone, and I'm glad because I don't like it, so I bought a big 16oz jug of Kroger brand gentle face cleanser for $6 at the grocery store. It is a Cetaphil knock off apparently. I don't really care what I use to clean my face in the morning as long as it's not too drying, so hopefully if this one will be ok, I will be set for a year. And if I don't love it, it didn't cost much. 

I also follow a blog called Mary Organizes and they do a 91 day declutter challenge at the start of every new year, the latest one starts today. I've been following that the last couple of years and will again this year and it really helps kickstart the year.

Justbee-you might like it if you want to start purging in January. 

Here's to a great 2017 everyone!

Thanks!  I checked out her site and am wondering if it's the same one I'd checked previously.  Probably is.

http://blog.maryorganizes.com/2016/12/91-day-declutter-challenge/

It's funny because I'm looking at the 13-week challenge and thinking it would be better as a 13-month challenge.  That sounds terrible, but it really isn't as bad as it sounds.  I'm looking around me and I don't see all that much clutter.  This room isn't bad.  I do need to collect the Christmas cards I have (they've been displayed on the TV stand) and my card collection needs to return to my closet shelf where it will sit until December.  I have two areas in this room that need attention.  This desk -- purchased when "Oriental" and burl were big in the 80s -- has one drawer.  And that drawer could use some organization.  The second area is the rack that holds DVDs and CDs.  Some of those DVDs could go away.

Right now, fine-tuning is enough.  The big issues are the rooms that have stored items and closets.  I still need to attack the front room and all my school papers.  I graduated over a year ago so it might be a good time to start sorting and shredding.

Then there's the room that looks like a storage space.  That also needs attention.  Drawers, cabinets, cupboards, closets, jewelry boxes, bookshelves.  These are areas that require pruning.  But I know myself and it has to become a habit of keeping up on it.  Today I must address the desk in the kitchen that was cleared off before the holidays and is now full of junk mail.

Cruelty-free is also a challenge for me because I am pretty much married to Maybelline's Full 'N Soft.  The stuff just works.  Just do what you can and don't beat yourself up.  Everything we do has an effect on someone or something.  We can't eliminate everything in our lives.  As I mentioned before, my almond milk consumption is destroying the state of California.  But then Californians are doing an even better job of destroying the state so I can take myself off the hook.

When I was on the hunt for an affordable and effective facial cleanser I tried a lot of dupes at Kroger (it's Smith's here in NM) and at Walmart.  Equate products are not bad.  When I was using their Olay dupes I preferred the Equate products' fragrance.

Used a Cetaphil dupe for quite a while but then tried CeraVe.  I liked it.  But I've stuck with Paula's Choice and dread the thought of auditioning anything else.

My greatest ComPacting accomplishment has been cutting down on new toiletries, clothes and jewelry.  I was always quick to purchase new sheets, towels, knickknacks, planters, houseplants, books, films, music -- anything that caught my eye.  I'm finally at the point where I can see something, admire it, but not have to live with it.  Kinda like a Doberman.  I admire the breed but I don't need one in my home.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Kathie66, I have the same plan for my mu this year. I want to use as much as I can and really test things out. If they dont work, I am tossing. I dont want to struggle through products and I want to get my collection down to things that work and I use.  I wish I had friends or family that would appreciate some stuff but I am about the only one I know that loves products.  Makeup for me is a weakness so this year I am only allowing myself two wants.  That is my limit.  That is the only way I can get myself to really focus on using what I have.  Good luck to me.

I have already tossed a mascara and an eyeliner that dried out.  I am sure there is plenty more as I work my way through.  I am looking forward to cleaning out my collection.

Your kids sound like keepers. Smiley Happy  How wonderful.

edited to say - reading all those books is quite an accomplishment.  I set out to read 50 and sadly didn't read any.  This year I am being more realistic and will try for 24.  2 a month.  Should be doable. 

@aprilskiesI know you will be sucessful reducing your makeup stash! Good luck to you!! Getting rid of what doesn't work and then using up what does makes the most sense to me too. I find that I can't get to what works because I have way to much. I also buy things that are way to similar. How many eyeliners does one need? I have way to many!

Happy Reading to you! I hope you enjoy every book that you read!!

Thank you SO MUCH for the kind words regarding my kids, it means alot.

Kathie

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24