Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- JANUARY!

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation. This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down!

I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

Hep Dogs

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

Happy New Year fellow compacters.  I am still here, one item at a time.  I haven't purchased any new beauty items, but I did receive a few BBW items in my Christmas gifts; like I needed more.  Oh well, I still have such a hugh stash, but marching on into 2017.  Think of all the money I am not spending.  I am much more in tune with purchasing things I need.  Healthy eating seems like a great place to delve into next.  I need help here also.  My SIL does WW Points System and maintained a healthy lifestyle for several years now so she is a great example when I visit her.  We stayed with her over the Christmas holiday so it was a blessing and I did not gain anything over the holiday.  I did enjoy extra goodies, but I did not go crazy as I have in the past.

Honored Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Happy New Year fellow compacters.  I am still here, one item at a time.  I haven't purchased any new beauty items, but I did receive a few BBW items in my Christmas gifts; like I needed more.  Oh well, I still have such a hugh stash, but marching on into 2017.  Think of all the money I am not spending.  I am much more in tune with purchasing things I need.  Healthy eating seems like a great place to delve into next.  I need help here also.  My SIL does WW Points System and maintained a healthy lifestyle for several years now so she is a great example when I visit her.  We stayed with her over the Christmas holiday so it was a blessing and I did not gain anything over the holiday.  I did enjoy extra goodies, but I did not go crazy as I have in the past.

I'm sitting here looking at the corner of my monitor and I see the date: 1/1/2017.  It's like standing at the starting line, waiting for the sound of the starter pistol.  I just have to move.

I come here for the push.

Honored Contributor

What a convenience.  Notice that both the new month and new year begin on a Sunday.  I took down my 2016 calendar -- a really lovely one -- and replaced it with a freebie from our local butcher.  Can't say no to a free calendar -- with recipes, even.

But today begins a new month, a new year, a new quarter.  For me, that means replacing items like mascara, sponges, razor blades, Brita filter, toothbrushes.  Making little changes, wearing different earrings and shoes and not reaching for the same ones from 2016.  Just some minor tweaking.

What I won't do is replace the shower gels.  I'm sticking with the ones at the sink and in the shower until they're gone.  Sure, I have candy corn in the shower, but it's not coming out until it's empty.

Now I have to think about tossing T-shirts that have really served their purpose and can be replaced by others that are just hanging around waiting to be worn.

My T-shirts look like something out of Flashdance.  Yes, I realize the trend is now somewhere between Sid Vicious and Jennifer Beals, but it's just not flattering at this point.

Was it ever?

Marie Kondo would be mortified.

Honored Contributor

Hmm.  That's interesting.  Like I said, I don't go to the doctor or take any pills other than Costco's version of Centrum Silver.  No aspirin, either, because I donate blood.  Started taking fish oil because the research has been interesting.  Psych patients are taking it.  Everybody's taking it.

Tricky, since some fish oil is higher in cholesterol.  I had decided I wanted more seafood in 2017, so Better-half made a crab salad last night and will prepare ahi tuna steaks tonight.  Haven't had crab in ages.  Probably because it's high in cholesterol.  Not as high as shrimp or egg yolks, but high.  Sardines in oil?  High.

I track my cholesterol through my blood donations.  It's not accurate because I just get the whole number instead of LDL and HDL.  But it's ballpark and that's fine because I have no intention of taking statins.

Today I checked my number from last week's donation.  Lower than usual.  Intrigued, I brought up a snapshot of levels from 2010 through 2015.  There's a distinct pattern here.

It was sky high in late 2012.  What was going on in 2012?  Finishing nursing school and buying a new car because my Outback had been murdered.  In May 2013 the number dropped significantly.  Why?  I graduated in April.  Numbers remained consistently lower until I started my nursing job.  I can look at the graph and see my stress levels reflected in my cholesterol numbers.

I've been focusing on diet but I really think I should be focusing on stress.  Now there's a good reason to keep the "fun" portion of the thread going.

Start planning your 2017 fun and posting it here!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy New Year Friends!!

Looking back on my 2016 Compact I did ok. One goal was to concentrate on Supersizes, using up and giving away as many in the stash as I could. I ended up using 112 products of all sizes and giving away 54. Out of those 166 products, 27 were supersized. I still have more in the stash, but made a nice dent in them. I learned it takes a LONG time to use up a supersized product, and you really have to love them or you get real tired of them by about halfway thru. I am finishing the couple I have open and moving on to normal sizes for awhile. (that will probably be almost springtime!)

Another goal I meet this year was using up my Laura Geller Babycakes Blush Palette. Its been on my compact list for years it seems! I used every bit and even though I loved the product I am glad its gone. I did well in stopping the madness of adding to my Bath and Body products stash, I bought very little and shopped my stash. Makeup is a whole other story!  

So this brings me to my goals for 2017. I am going back to previous years goal (before my 2016 Supersize goal) of using up my non core brands of shower gel. By 2018, I really want my stash to just have the brands of shower gel that I absolutely love. Hopefully I can finish up the brands I dont love as handsoap this year. This goal was put on hold last year while I used up Supersizes. Another goal this year is to use my makeup in a new way. Instead of using something up till its gone, I want to take a few blushes from my stash, use them each quarter, and keep what works and get rid of what doesnt. Same thing with lip products, and eyeliner. I had started this with eyeshadow palettes, did ok but need to be much more ruthless this year and get rid of what eyeshadow doesnt work. And stop adding to my collection! I only want to use up what works in my makeup stash, and let go of what doesnt.

Another goal I meet was reading 42 books this year. My goal was30. I am pretty proud of myself! I set a goal of 30 again this year. I have to earn some college credits that my work is requiring this year, this may impact my pleasure reading. I will have required reading this year! (Wish me luck I am a little nervous about the classes)

As for fun I had alot this year!  My 50th birthday trip to Harry Potter World and Disney was amazing. My fun this year will be visting my kids, they are both done with college now. My daughter recieved her PHD in November. Her job is about 2 hours away and my sons job is 5 hours away. I plan on visting them every chance I get, being with them is always fun and renews my heart and soul. I love them so much and are so proud of them. I am also thankful that they like and make time to spend with me.

I hope your 2017 is all you want it to be my friends. I count myself so lucky to have your friendship and support. It means more to me than words can say. I wish you all a Happy and Healthy and Succesful compacting New Year!

XXOO Kathie

Edited to correct Give Away total. I mistakenly put in my total for July at the half year mark, not my yearly total. Its correct now sorry.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl - good luck with HEP this year.  Sugar is hard to eliminate. It is really in everything.  I have a quarter of the junk I use to keep around so I feel I am starting off the year on a good foot. I feel really motivated to do this and feel ready to get committed. I hope it is not just the excitement of the new year.  It is time to get fit.  I need to fit into my clothes again. I have gone shopping but really dont find much.  I dont like how I look in anything with the extra weight.

My makeup goals this year is to use the same foundations in order to use them up and just change out my color cosmetics every two weeks and then when I have cycled through my palettes some, change them out every month.  Eyeliners, I might start with the ones that have to be sharpened so I can get through some faster. I really want to get some things out of my collection.  I am making baskets with the products I want to focus on and put the rest in the closet.

I love to learn of new blogs so I will check out the one you mentioned. Thanks. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

I'm sitting here looking at the corner of my monitor and I see the date: 1/1/2017.  It's like standing at the starting line, waiting for the sound of the starter pistol.  I just have to move.

I come here for the push.

It is a brand new year and it feels like a brand new start.  It is time to do things differently.  I am gonna challenge myself this year. Mostly, I think I just need to focus on having some fun which I know I have been lacking.  I have become a real homebody.  

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Hmm.  That's interesting.  Like I said, I don't go to the doctor or take any pills other than Costco's version of Centrum Silver.  No aspirin, either, because I donate blood.  Started taking fish oil because the research has been interesting.  Psych patients are taking it.  Everybody's taking it.

Tricky, since some fish oil is higher in cholesterol.  I had decided I wanted more seafood in 2017, so Better-half made a crab salad last night and will prepare ahi tuna steaks tonight.  Haven't had crab in ages.  Probably because it's high in cholesterol.  Not as high as shrimp or egg yolks, but high.  Sardines in oil?  High.

I track my cholesterol through my blood donations.  It's not accurate because I just get the whole number instead of LDL and HDL.  But it's ballpark and that's fine because I have no intention of taking statins.

Today I checked my number from last week's donation.  Lower than usual.  Intrigued, I brought up a snapshot of levels from 2010 through 2015.  There's a distinct pattern here.

It was sky high in late 2012.  What was going on in 2012?  Finishing nursing school and buying a new car because my Outback had been murdered.  In May 2013 the number dropped significantly.  Why?  I graduated in April.  Numbers remained consistently lower until I started my nursing job.  I can look at the graph and see my stress levels reflected in my cholesterol numbers.

I've been focusing on diet but I really think I should be focusing on stress.  Now there's a good reason to keep the "fun" portion of the thread going.

Start planning your 2017 fun and posting it here!

You are lucky you dont need any medication. Keep up your good health,, Just Bee.  Stress does some crazy things to our system.  I think it is one of the things I need to manage better this year. If I am able to get into an exercise routine, it should help alot.