Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- February!

@geezerette wrote:

I've really enjoyed reading all your posts.  So many issues and concerns that you all have, I have too.  I could have been reading my own diary--if I kept one.  From frustrations, to products, to eating--you are me!

I like Mindful March.  Probably because that's what I've been doing for a while now.  I never did have a No-Buy month.  But I have become much more mindful of what I do buy since I've been scaling back.  One great motivation for this has been doing taxes.  I knew our income had been going down steadily the last few years, but when I actually put everything down in print this year I was shocked at how much.  Not that we have money problems, but what I consider to be disposable (and therefore spendable) is not what it once was.  Necessity always is a great motivator.

Now if I can be just as mindful about my healthy eating, and more importantly, exercise.  It's always tough for me to get back to eating better after a particularly bad binge.  I have to ease back into it, which takes a week or two to reduce the cravings.  Then I need to be mindful not to give into whatever cravings I get after that, because if I can keep from giving in, they really start to diminish and I really start to feel better.  My problem lately has also been exercise.  Or rather, lack of it.  I always can find something better to do, or I just plain forget (conveniently).

So, I guess I just need to be more mindful of everything in my life, which really is a good thing, if I consider it.  Now, if I could only find my mind...

@geezerette

I'm reaching the same point.  I don't know if it's a natural result of age or if it's the realization that what's been done in the past hasn't worked.  We always require some tweaking.  We just aren't always in the mood for it.

Timing is everything.

But I guess when we realize that our time is limited, it's time to make choices about the time we have left.  Some things can no longer be put off for that time "out there."  That time isn't guaranteed.  So the time is now.

I feel like Dorothy -- trapped in the witch's castle with the big hourglass.

Dorothy

Dorothy

So Mindful March it is.

O-Ee-Yah! Eoh-Ah! 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Thanks, Bee, but I think I am done with Philosophy for now.  The scent just wasn't the same.  Maybe once I am through some soap and oils I will try it again. 

And isnt that that always the way, the ones you love don't stay, but the ones you don't, won't go away. 

Ain't it the truth? Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I'm thinking of the same thing, well, maybe not completely.  I've used pure grace since the beginning, but for some reason lately I'm just sick of it.  I've tolerated the changes in it but the EDP just seems even more alcohol-y than normal to me lately.  I've pared down my philosophy products to just the shampoo and conditioner, the pure grace 3-in-one, the EDP, and purity.  I've tried other cleansers that I find tolerable, so when I use up my supply of purity, it's done.  I still only use the other stuff because I can't find anything else I can tolerate.  The hair stuff and shower gel I'll probably continue, but I think I'm going to try to do without fragrance altogether.  Of course, I still have two four ounce bottles of the stuff so it's going to take me a while to get to that point!

That's a bold move, G.

I won't be done with philosophy for a long time because I still have a shelf of shower gel.  And I have a lot of fragrance left.  A lot.

I can't wear heavy Oriental fragrances at the hospital but I've managed to wear pure grace without any complaints.  I assumed it was because no one could smell it, yet people do detect it and they comment favorably.

It's the whiff.  Before I go to work I douse myself with the spritz and I'm ready to face the night.  I generally walk into chaos but I feel I can handle it with... uh, grace.

And maybe it's the fact that I'm absorbing all that alcohol I'm spraying on myself.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I'm thinking of the same thing, well, maybe not completely.  I've used pure grace since the beginning, but for some reason lately I'm just sick of it.  I've tolerated the changes in it but the EDP just seems even more alcohol-y than normal to me lately.  I've pared down my philosophy products to just the shampoo and conditioner, the pure grace 3-in-one, the EDP, and purity.  I've tried other cleansers that I find tolerable, so when I use up my supply of purity, it's done.  I still only use the other stuff because I can't find anything else I can tolerate.  The hair stuff and shower gel I'll probably continue, but I think I'm going to try to do without fragrance altogether.  Of course, I still have two four ounce bottles of the stuff so it's going to take me a while to get to that point!

That's a bold move, G.

I won't be done with philosophy for a long time because I still have a shelf of shower gel.  And I have a lot of fragrance left.  A lot.

I can't wear heavy Oriental fragrances at the hospital but I've managed to wear pure grace without any complaints.  I assumed it was because no one could smell it, yet people do detect it and they comment favorably.

It's the whiff.  Before I go to work I douse myself with the spritz and I'm ready to face the night.  I generally walk into chaos but I feel I can handle it with... uh, grace.

And maybe it's the fact that I'm absorbing all that alcohol I'm spraying on myself.

😄

Yes, it is bold, which I am not.  I just can't tolerate most any fragrance anymore, even the ones that are touted as "natural", because over the years I've developed chemical sensitivities.  That's why I started with pure grace to begin with.  I still enjoy the dry-down effect on my clothes, so I'm going to try spraying it more that way than on my body.  I really would like to be able to go fragrance-free completely, but I have an unnatural fear of smelling like an old lady.  You know that not completely unpleasant yet kind of musty odor that many older folks, usually women, have when you get near them.  It's not body odor, just the smell of "old".

Anyway, as I mentioned, since I have two big full bottles of the stuff left, it will be some time before I have to commit to anything drastic.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

That's a bold move, G.

Yes, it is bold, which I am not.  I just can't tolerate most any fragrance anymore, even the ones that are touted as "natural", because over the years I've developed chemical sensitivities.  That's why I started with pure grace to begin with.  I still enjoy the dry-down effect on my clothes, so I'm going to try spraying it more that way than on my body.  I really would like to be able to go fragrance-free completely, but I have an unnatural fear of smelling like an old lady.  You know that not completely unpleasant yet kind of musty odor that many older folks, usually women, have when you get near them.  It's not body odor, just the smell of "old".

Anyway, as I mentioned, since I have two big full bottles of the stuff left, it will be some time before I have to commit to anything drastic.

@geezerette

I hear ya on "bold."  My New Year's resolutions are usually a phrase or a word and I recall one year was something like "Be(e) bold."  I can't describe myself as bold although I have made bold decisions and have said and done some bold things.  I think I fall into the "resolute" category.

"Resolute" just doesn't sound as good as "bold," but it's probably a tad more prudent to be resolute.

Oh, don't get me started on "old lady" scents.  There was a whole thread at one time that set me off in a mad defense of classic fragrances.  People posted that they didn't like "old lady scents" and the ones they listed specifically were some of my favorites.  Again, the heavier Oriental fragrances like Shalimar and Tabu.

Even though I'm resolute, I'll give an inch here.  Maybe it's because the fragrances that work for us when we're younger don't necessarily work as well for us when we're older.  Our chemistry changes as we age.

Or it could be that human beings in general just smell bad, which is probably why they started dousing themselves with scent in the first place.

Speaking of be(e)ing, have you thought about the e.e. cummings quote I posted?  Are you taking my advice to just be(e) you?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette

Oh, dear, that's unfortunate.

Ever have a thought pop into your head that you dare not utter, but then you just go with it?

Right after I posted about "old lady scents," and how time affects our fragrance choices and how we mortals tend to reek, this popped into my head:

Jean Nate to Gene Decay.

I know, I know...

Honored Contributor

@just bee

I can't find a "groan!" smiley.  I don't mind those scents, per se.  What gets me about all of those and others is just that they're way to strong for me now and literally make me ill.  And, as you say, the ones you hate stay with you forever!

Oh yes, I've thought about your quote, for years.  I've gotten pretty good at practicing it, but every once in a while I have a relapse and am reminded why I really don't want to be like all those other people that I think are so "with it".  Because I can't handle the downside of their lifestyle. It always has a downside.  I can handle the downside of being me, but not them.

Coincidently, when I first saw your screen name, so many possible meanings ran through my head.  Then after getting some insight into your personality, as much as possible in an online forum, I thought that was exactly why you chose that name--so many possibilities!  Keeps us all guessing.  You clever girl, you.😉

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

I can't find a "groan!" smiley.  I don't mind those scents, per se.  What gets me about all of those and others is just that they're way to strong for me now and literally make me ill.  And, as you say, the ones you hate stay with you forever!

Oh yes, I've thought about your quote, for years.  I've gotten pretty good at practicing it, but every once in a while I have a relapse and am reminded why I really don't want to be like all those other people that I think are so "with it".  Because I can't handle the downside of their lifestyle. It always has a downside.  I can handle the downside of being me, but not them.

Coincidently, when I first saw your screen name, so many possible meanings ran through my head.  Then after getting some insight into your personality, as much as possible in an online forum, I thought that was exactly why you chose that name--so many possibilities!  Keeps us all guessing.  You clever girl, you.😉

Aww, shucks!

Honored Contributor

@just bee

OhEmGee--too cute!!  I want him!

Honored Contributor

I'm living in a freaking alternate universe.

ComPacting might actually have a downside.  Since Better-half and I decided not to spend our free time shopping and dining out, we really have no reason to leave the house except to get groceries and adult beverages, and to walk the dog.

When we do go out, we notice new things.  People at work tell me about things.  I go online and find out about things.  Things happening right here in our little town.

I used to watch those TV shows that highlight cool things in other cities but I stopped that because I'd always end up asking myself: "Why don't we have something like that in Albuquerque?"

As it turns out, we do have some of these things.  I saw a story about a shipping container mall in some city and now we have one, too.  I did not realize that until I started hearing radio ads.

And there's a thread on the other forum about JC Penney stores closing.  Since our local mall has lost Mervyn's, Foley's, Montgomery Ward and now Macy's, I figure JCP is next on the chopping block.

Curious, I went to the mall website just to see what's left in there.  Wednesday is "Shop With Your Pet Day!"  OMG!  I just happen to have switched shifts with a coworker this week so I have Wednesday off.

So I looked at the stores and tried to find something the dog would like.  OMG!  There's a store called Don't Forget the Dog!  This, as it turns out, is an official Fromm retail store.  Had no idea such a thing existed.  And what does our dog eat?  Fromm!

How do I miss these things?

Now all I have to do is talk Better-half and the dog into a mall trip this week.  I gotta check this out.  The mall is huge -- what a great place to walk the dog!