Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- February!

@rnmom wrote:

I see that SKINN is on again this weekend and I'm refraining from watching too many of his shows. I've spent so much money trying his products, so many products, and I just haven't been pleased with any of my recent purchases from him. There were some that I liked when I first started buying from him 3-4 years ago, but I just haven't been impressed lately and I REALLY want to get away from using so many products. I just want to go back to the basics, I'm tired of having SO many different products here.

@rnmom

That's a component of the ComPact: Simplifying.  Sounds like you've got another component -- decluttering -- down.  I'm envious.  That's one I'm still working on.

But simplifying is a good goal.  When I read the threads about how many products and how many steps there are in one person's beauty routine, I get dizzy.  Creams, serums, AM, PM, primers, highlighters, four lip products to achieve one look -- I just get worn out. 

In the 80s I worked with a girl who would spend hours on her hair.  If -- after all the products and styling -- it wasn't perfect, she'd jump back into the shower and start all over again. 

Sometimes I think I'm just lazy.  But then I think that I couldn't have earned two nursing degrees after age 50 if I was such a slug.  I'm just lazy about certain things.  And those are the items at the bottom of my priority list.

It's not that my priorities are "right" -- they're just different.  I don't have a beauty ritual, but I do have a ritual.  I like to ease into my day with hot tea.  Whether it's in the morning on my days off or in the early evening on my work days, I need to have that tea.  It's not an addiction to caffeine, either.  I just need the choreography.  The warm mug, the hot steam, the scent of the tea.  I need that time to chill.  It's like meditation.  Whether I'm drinking tea and checking email or drinking tea and watching the news or typing away on a forum, I'm in the zone.

Some people run.  I drink tea.

So what products do you think you can bid a fond adieu?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In reviewing the last few posts I see a trend developing.  Many of you are using the term "mindful."

Mindful.  Conscious.  Aware.  Paying attention.

What if, instead of a no-buy March, we have a mindful March?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

A mindful March, @just bee?  I love it, and I can definitely do that!  I watch you ladies doing so well with your no-buys, but (don't hate me!) I don't really have back-stock to use up so I rarely need to commit to a no buy.  

But, I do need to buy mindfully to simplify my life and not buy new products I don't really need.  What @aprilskies said about one purchase leading to a downward spiral really resonated with me (just paraphrasing, I'm sure she said it much more eloquently 😊).  For me, that applies to bad food choices as well.  I have alway been an all or nothing kind of person.  

So, I really need to get I get in gear and commit to HEP.  I am tired of feeling sluggish because I fill up on bad carbs, rather than whole foods.  There--I said it out loud so that means I really have to do it this time.  😄

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

A mindful March, @just bee?  I love it, and I can definitely do that!  I watch you ladies doing so well with your no-buys, but (don't hate me!) I don't really have back-stock to use up so I rarely need to commit to a no buy.  

But, I do need to buy mindfully to simplify my life and not buy new products I don't really need.  What @aprilskies said about one purchase leading to a downward spiral really resonated with me (just paraphrasing, I'm sure she said it much more eloquently 😊).  For me, that applies to bad food choices as well.  I have alway been an all or nothing kind of person.  

So, I really need to get I get in gear and commit to HEP.  I am tired of feeling sluggish because I fill up on bad carbs, rather than whole foods.  There--I said it out loud so that means I really have to do it this time.  😄

Hard work can easily be undone by a splurge.  I've been more mindful lately HEP-wise, but yesterday we ended up with two large pizzas.  These are made with quality ingredients, but it's still pizza.

Even Better-half mentioned today that we have to get back on track.  And that's a good sign.  He's been mindful, too.

Respected Contributor

Hmmmmmm, what products can I bid adieu? Good question. I'd like to get rid of some of the "treatment" type products. Right now I have 3 different types of masks, I'd like to get that down to one. I've already used up or tossed quite a few items, so I'm really close to where I want to be. I have one serum left, which I may or may not replace when it's gone. I have things like Vitamin C powder and a brow growth product that I will not replace when they're gone. I still have extra cleansers and moisturizers that I'm trying to use up because I just don't like them, and I've replaced them with other items. The hard part is still finding products that I like. Eventually I'd like to be down to one AM moisturizer with SPF to use under makeup, maybe one with a stronger SPF for makeup free summer days. A good PM moisturizer, maybe one treatment serum. One AM cleanser and one PM makeup remover. Maybe one type of exfoliating mask or product. And some facial wipes. That's it. I'm like you and I'm really tired of all the layering. I'm doing pretty good at paring down my bath and body products to items that I like and use, and I'm not doing too bad with makeup either. Of course I have more than I need, but I like to have a little variety. I feel pretty good about those areas, but of course there's always room for improvement. I've given away or tossed anything that's a highlighter, bronzer, contour product. I don't use them, or any type of primer. I have eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, foundation, concealer, blush, lip gloss and lipstick. And some nail colors, but I've pared those down too. And I don't have any type of gadget either. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rnmom wrote:

Hmmmmmm, what products can I bid adieu? Good question. I'd like to get rid of some of the "treatment" type products. Right now I have 3 different types of masks, I'd like to get that down to one. I've already used up or tossed quite a few items, so I'm really close to where I want to be. I have one serum left, which I may or may not replace when it's gone. I have things like Vitamin C powder and a brow growth product that I will not replace when they're gone. I still have extra cleansers and moisturizers that I'm trying to use up because I just don't like them, and I've replaced them with other items. The hard part is still finding products that I like. Eventually I'd like to be down to one AM moisturizer with SPF to use under makeup, maybe one with a stronger SPF for makeup free summer days. A good PM moisturizer, maybe one treatment serum. One AM cleanser and one PM makeup remover. Maybe one type of exfoliating mask or product. And some facial wipes. That's it. I'm like you and I'm really tired of all the layering. I'm doing pretty good at paring down my bath and body products to items that I like and use, and I'm not doing too bad with makeup either. Of course I have more than I need, but I like to have a little variety. I feel pretty good about those areas, but of course there's always room for improvement. I've given away or tossed anything that's a highlighter, bronzer, contour product. I don't use them, or any type of primer. I have eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, foundation, concealer, blush, lip gloss and lipstick. And some nail colors, but I've pared those down too. And I don't have any type of gadget either. 

Allow me to resurrect the battle cry regarding layers:

"I am not an onion!  I am a human being!"

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

Hard work can easily be undone by a splurge.  I've been more mindful lately HEP-wise, but yesterday we ended up with two large pizzas.  These are made with quality ingredients, but it's still pizza.

Even Better-half mentioned today that we have to get back on track.  And that's a good sign.  He's been mindful, too.

Count me in. The struggle is real. Tomorrow never comes. I dont keep as much junk food around as I use to so that is a plus, however, what I do have around is still just too much because I constantly reach for it so there is no difference. 

Recently, I finished up my chocolate and just had fruit strips left in the house, I was thrilled, and then I go out to Costco and bring home a big bag of chips.  I was okay with this for a minute because I was really craving chips for a few days, but then half the bag was gone within a couple of days. That is a big bag. So, tonight, I am taking them over to a relatives house so they can enjoy the rest of them. No more.  Next time I crave something that much, I will just pick up a small bag. 

Yesterday was so nice so I went for a walk.  It was just a little over a mile and then I finished with going up and down the bleachers twice.  I am going to try and stay committed to exercising and make this a non-negotiable.  I figure at least 4 times a week should be good.  I have to shed these ever-loving 20 lbs once and for all.

Respected Contributor

@rnmom,  you are doing so good with your products and decluttering.  I too want to get down to the basics and really stick with it.  I dont mind a few extras but it gets crazy. I have the same problem, I dont have holy grails so that sends me trying new things but once I have whittled down my collection, I will just stick with what I buy before trying something else out.  I have a ways to go but cant wait until I get there.  In the meantime, at least I dont have to buy much of anything so I will consider it money saved.

Trusted Contributor

A mindful March sounds great!  I didn't make it through February without a purchase either, but it was mindful.  Since I'm reducing my foundation coverage to very sheer, basically there for the SPF, I've needed to up my concealing of undereye circles.  I went back to my tried and true peach corrector, mixed with my current concealer and am happy with the results.  That was my one beauty purchase since the new year started.

My spring makeup capsule starts in March so it will be fun to rotate in some "new" (aka from the stash) products.  March should be a no-buy month for me since I'm shopping my stash.

A ritual I've been enjoying is making oatmeal on the stove vs in the microwave and coffee in the bialetti (also on the stove vs using the Keurig).  I love the bubbling sounds that they make.  In fact, the bialetti makes a purring noise when the coffee is ready.  Really soothing.  A ritual I'm not always enjoying is handwashing the dishes (still).  I haven't gotten the rubber gloves because the repairman finally got the parts in and is coming next week to do the final fix.

Things I need to get rid of...synthetic perfume because it makes my new bosses sneeze (the perfume oils are much more subtle and do not cause a reaction), eyeshadow palettes (I really only need one, maybe two for variety), nail polish (I have 10 too many bottles), bags (there are still a bunch that I haven't touched in over a year), and finally SUGAR (so that I can lose those 20 extra lbs and the sweet-tooth addiction).

HEP is going ok, except there is too much sugar in the house.  People give DH snacks all the time and he brings them home because everyone at work is trying to eat healthy.  I really need to just toss it right away.  None of us, even my very fit children, need sugar.  We've been eating salmon 3 days a week.  And trying to eat less red meat at the same time, except for Valentine's day steak.  A favorite snack has been those snack sized fresh mozz from Costco with a leaf of basil, a cherry tomato and some cracked pepper sprinkled on top.  So yummy!  And satisfying.  But one pastry negates the whole week of healthy eating because one donut leads to two... And of course I need to exercise more.

Trusted Contributor

Also, I've used up over $100 worth of products in January since I started keeping track of the value.  Makes me thrilled but sick at the same time.  Did I really need all those products?  Absolutely not, but I'm glad to have finished them.  I'm on track to finish another $90 worth of products in February...mind-blowing.  My only consolation is that I'm using them instead of throwing them away due to expiration.