Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- February!

[ Edited ]

@susandee wrote:

I'm new to the group and am trying to compact seriously this time.  I attempted two years ago and failed miserably.  Started with clothes last week as the Veteran's were looking for women's clothes as well as men's.  Between my closet and my husband's we gave away 7 big bags of high quality, excellent condition items.  The volume of clothes that I hadn't worn (some still with tags), or wore maybe 2x, was mind blowing.  The only clothes in my closet now are ones that fit.  I have one trunk that contains winter clothes one size down and one suitcase with summer clothes one size down.  As a couple we started eating healthier and have lost some weight, but I need to lose ten more pounds in order to wear the stored items.  I will not need to purchase a thing once that happens.  I need to go through my beauty and skincare stash next, it's huge!  But Lord willing, I can get a handle on no purchases.  Honestly, I don't need a stinking thing but those sales are tempting.  We are healthy financially but want to pay off our mortgage over the next few years.  So we have agreed as a couple to tighten up!  My husband just finished his PhD dissertation and will graduate this spring, so we also won't have to pay any more tuition.  I want to get a healthy spending plan in place so we don't feel we can then spend those extra funds.  I want to be free of that mortgage! 

Welcome!

@susandee

An admirable goal!  Not having that monthly expense really reduces anxiety.  I paid off my house before I went to nursing school -- glad I did.

I paid off the car last year and when I pay my bills I transfer the amount I'd be paying on the car (sometimes more) from checking to savings.

Happy to have you here -- post often! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@susandee wrote:

I'm new to the group and am trying to compact seriously this time.  I attempted two years ago and failed miserably.  Started with clothes last week as the Veteran's were looking for women's clothes as well as men's.  Between my closet and my husband's we gave away 7 big bags of high quality, excellent condition items.  The volume of clothes that I hadn't worn (some still with tags), or wore maybe 2x, was mind blowing.  The only clothes in my closet now are ones that fit.  I have one trunk that contains winter clothes one size down and one suitcase with summer clothes one size down.  As a couple we started eating healthier and have lost some weight, but I need to lose ten more pounds in order to wear the stored items.  I will not need to purchase a thing once that happens.  I need to go through my beauty and skincare stash next, it's huge!  But Lord willing, I can get a handle on no purchases.  Honestly, I don't need a stinking thing but those sales are tempting.  We are healthy financially but want to pay off our mortgage over the next few years.  So we have agreed as a couple to tighten up!  My husband just finished his PhD dissertation and will graduate this spring, so we also won't have to pay any more tuition.  I want to get a healthy spending plan in place so we don't feel we can then spend those extra funds.  I want to be free of that mortgage! 

First, welcome!  The more the merrier, and the more we can encourage each other to keep on track to accomplish whatever goals we each have.

Second, congratulations to your husband on finishing his dissertation!  That's quite a commendable accomplishment.  Not the least of which being no more tuition.

You sound like you're already on the path to real compacting.  Often it doesn't always "take" on the first try, and it helps a lot to have both partners on board.  As we've just been discussing in the last several posts, it's not so much about not buying or even getting rid of things, it's more about being aware of what we do buy and what is important to us and how we want to live.  

The sales are always tempting, aren't they?  And the new spring catalogs are driving me batty!  Almost makes me not want to walk to the mailbox.  But I can just look...😍🤑😋

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

Now I'm really envious of you:  low humidity, mountains, and a dog mall!

(I'm with BH on the opera thing, though.  Maybe The World's Greatest Dog would like to go with you.)

@geezerette

Don't call the realtor just yet.  The grass isn't greener here in New Mexico.  In fact, the grass we have is brown and crunchy.  Worse, this state is lurching towards bankruptcy.  I suspect the next gubernatorial election will push us right over the edge.

Doesn't get much news coverage nationally because we're still not known as a state.  What do people think has been sitting between Arizona and Texas since 1912?  Maybe we should start taping U.S. maps to restroom stall doors.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm in a foul mood.  The Millennial coworker who asked me to switch shifts called me last night to tell me she made a mistake.  Clearly they're not teaching students how to read calendars, either.

Looks like my "mini-vacation" is canceled this week.  I won't be shopping with my pet after all.

And Pagliacci probably won't happen either because the time off I scheduled in March will now be spent preparing for Better-half's mother's visit.  She'll be showing up, coincidentally, on our anniversary date.  Don't think she's an opera fan.  Besides, I really don't need to see an opera about a p_ssed-off Italian.  I am a p_ssed-off Italian.

I've decided not to plan anything anymore.  Que sera sera.

@just beeI hear ya!  People still think we live in grass shacks in Hawaii.  While we are not a part of the "contiguous USA", we are a state.  

I'm so sorry you're missing out on your vacations!  Plan something else, even a small thing that will make you happy.  A nap, maybe?  You deserve a break today. 

Here's my bad news for the day.  The dishwasher door latch is fixed but the motor is frozen.  That will be another $360...  Should I just resign myself to mindful handwashing forever?

The good news for the day.  The oven is fixed!  I can bake again!

February has been a little rough. I'm looking forward to March.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just beeI hear ya!  People still think we live in grass shacks in Hawaii.  While we are not a part of the "contiguous USA", we are a state.  

I'm so sorry you're missing out on your vacations!  Plan something else, even a small thing that will make you happy.  A nap, maybe?  You deserve a break today. 

Here's my bad news for the day.  The dishwasher door latch is fixed but the motor is frozen.  That will be another $360...  Should I just resign myself to mindful handwashing forever?

Nap?

@Oshare-girl

Ooooh... nap.

Yeah, I decided to write off February and focus on Mindful March.  I'm even thinking of giving up something for Lent even though I'm not an active participant in any particular religion.  Just sitting here wondering if I could give up my cinnamon raisin bagels.  (This would explain why I'm not an active participant.)

Maybe you should give up that dishwasher for Lent.  What's up with appliances these days?  We replaced our microwave because the plastic over the buttons was deteriorating.  We thought it was just a freak thing and bought the same model.  The plastic is deteriorating on this one, too.

And that washing machine!  Oh... I feel a rant coming on.

Happy to hear about the oven!  Let's just bid the month a fond adieu and embrace the next one.  Mindfully.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

Now I'm really envious of you:  low humidity, mountains, and a dog mall!

(I'm with BH on the opera thing, though.  Maybe The World's Greatest Dog would like to go with you.)

@geezerette

Don't call the realtor just yet.  The grass isn't greener here in New Mexico.  In fact, the grass we have is brown and crunchy.  Worse, this state is lurching towards bankruptcy.  I suspect the next gubernatorial election will push us right over the edge.

Doesn't get much news coverage nationally because we're still not known as a state.  What do people think has been sitting between Arizona and Texas since 1912?  Maybe we should start taping U.S. maps to restroom stall doors.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm in a foul mood.  The Millennial coworker who asked me to switch shifts called me last night to tell me she made a mistake.  Clearly they're not teaching students how to read calendars, either.

Looks like my "mini-vacation" is canceled this week.  I won't be shopping with my pet after all.

And Pagliacci probably won't happen either because the time off I scheduled in March will now be spent preparing for Better-half's mother's visit.  She'll be showing up, coincidentally, on our anniversary date.  Don't think she's an opera fan.  Besides, I really don't need to see an opera about a p_ssed-off Italian.  I am a p_ssed-off Italian.

I've decided not to plan anything anymore.  Que sera sera.

But baking will mean more dishes to wash...

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @just bee! You okay? Can't find the March Compact! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Well, I just had a mini-epiphany, if there is such a thing. Two months ago, there was a natural disaster that was threatening my home. It was very close, and though I wasn't under mandatory evacuation, it could have come at any moment. I gathered the cat carriers and supplies first, and then, as I waited for news, collected the other things I wanted in case I never saw my house again.

And I just realized what a valuable exercise it was. 

First, I got a tote and put in my handbag, laptop and tablet, and chargers. Interesting choice, right? I tucked in a couple of water bottles, then added my toothbrush, some lotion and a few other toiletries I especially feel I need.  I grabbed a very few items with sentimental value, my favorite kitchen knife, a towel, and a flashlight.

Of course, next came some underwear. Then I opened my closet and assembled what was, essentially though not on purpose, a capsule wardrobe. I thought what I'd take if it was all I'd have for a long time, and ended up with a collection of things that are very versatile, comfortable, easy to wash, and that I like. It didn't take more than a few minutes, and I assumed I'd have my car, so wasn't limited to an extra pair of jeans. 

Simple, really. Later, when I put all that stuff back away, I didn't give it much thought, but I was surprised at some of my choices. Surprised and pleased. Why? Because now I know what things are actually the most important to me, that I really value most, that are the most practical and useful parts of my life. 

I'm glad to have all the other things I have, and plan to keep. But I'll never look at them with quite the same attachment.