Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Auspicious August!

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

Mugs, I love mugs, but I have dwindled my collection. I just recently chipped one of my favorites mugs. Bummer. I got this thing in Bermunda at least 22 years ago. I still use it though. It is chipped on one side of the rim just below so it is still usable. I cant bring myself to throw it out just yet.  I have been a klutz lately with many things. 

Although, 40 mugs, lol, I dont think I have ever had 40 mugs at once.  That is a lot of mugs, JB.

@aprilskies

I think he pulled that number out of his... hat.  I started to count them the other day, then stopped.  I don't want to confirm that number.  Could be more than 40. 

Some things are best left a mystery.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Ok...you all pushed me over the edge! I have seen great reviews for salux cloths for years and have debated about buying. I saw the love mentioned here and oh yeah I checked out some more reviews and then went online to buy some!! LOL

I also don't like how the shower gets super slippery from regular scrubs and the buildup in the drains definitely slows down draining when I use them a lot. I'm looking forward to trying something new!! I'm ok with the purchase due to it sounds like these things can last a long time and they are reuseable/washable vs a scrub that's one time use! Is it sad that it took me a lot of debating about what color to try? I finally decided to get a 3 pack of a mix of colors then....I saw they have a "new" version? Bought 1 of them to try too.

Since it's a cloth, it doesn't break any of my August goals Smiley Wink

@FindingMyJoy

Same thing here.  I looked at them for years and finally broke down and ordered a 3-pack (blue, pink, yellow).  Je ne regrette rien!

Five things have me looking forward to showers again: The Salux cloth, the scalp scrubber, Suave shampoo and conditioner, a good squeegee.  It's a whole new world in there now.

Which scalp scrubber do you have?  I know there is a ton of them out there but I am tired of experimenting so I have been holding off on getting another one.  Right now I have the vitagoods one which is battery operated but I don't like it and rarely reach for it.  But I guess that is not a scrubber but a massager. Which one do you love? 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Ok...you all pushed me over the edge! I have seen great reviews for salux cloths for years and have debated about buying. I saw the love mentioned here and oh yeah I checked out some more reviews and then went online to buy some!! LOL

I also don't like how the shower gets super slippery from regular scrubs and the buildup in the drains definitely slows down draining when I use them a lot. I'm looking forward to trying something new!! I'm ok with the purchase due to it sounds like these things can last a long time and they are reuseable/washable vs a scrub that's one time use! Is it sad that it took me a lot of debating about what color to try? I finally decided to get a 3 pack of a mix of colors then....I saw they have a "new" version? Bought 1 of them to try too.

Since it's a cloth, it doesn't break any of my August goals Smiley Wink

@FindingMyJoy

Same thing here.  I looked at them for years and finally broke down and ordered a 3-pack (blue, pink, yellow).  Je ne regrette rien!

Five things have me looking forward to showers again: The Salux cloth, the scalp scrubber, Suave shampoo and conditioner, a good squeegee.  It's a whole new world in there now.

Which scalp scrubber do you have?  I know there is a ton of them out there but I am tired of experimenting so I have been holding off on getting another one.  Right now I have the vitagoods one which is battery operated but I don't like it and rarely reach for it.  But I guess that is not a scrubber but a massager. Which one do you love? 

@aprilskies

Better-half ordered 2-packs from Amazon.

scrubbers

https://www.amazon.com/Shampoo-Massage-Century-100-Brushes/dp/B00UMNX6LA/ref=pd_sim_194_2?_encoding=...

I run it through my hair when I shampoo and then I do it again when I condition.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Better-half is still dealing with his mother’s possessions.  Like he said, even though she was a minimalist, there’s still a lot of stuff in that house.  These are well-made, valuable items and BH and his brother can’t seem to find anyone who wants them.  Last night he called and described his mom’s handcrafted dining room table and chairs.  Sounds amazing.  He will probably donate all that today.

He even asked me if he should rent something to haul it home.  It’s got to be impressive if he’s dreading letting it go.  He generally doesn’t get enthusiastic describing a table, but he was telling me about some of her furniture and it sounds like there are impressive pieces.

It only reminds me of my mother.  Both our mothers were fortunate enough to get to a point in their lives where they found their special places.  My mother found an ad in the paper when my sister was looking for a house and she even offered to give her the down payment.  Then when she saw the house she fell in love with it.  It was ridiculous.  The minute the front door opened and she stepped inside, I could tell something happened.  And so could the realtor who pulled her aside and told her to buy the place for herself.

She never had her own house and when she stood in the kitchen and looked out the window I knew she would have paid any price for it.  And she did.  Interest rates were astronomical and the place needed work.  But she loved that house.  My sister and I moved heavy furniture, rented trucks, painted, replaced flooring – we worked like dogs and I don’t even know how we did what we did.

Mom bought her dream furniture.  She had her fantasy Queen Anne dining room.  When she moved out here after my sister died, my other sister (the one who would have lived in that house if she had fallen as hard for it) emptied it and sold it.  All the items my mother valued ended up donated, in a dumpster or in storage until they could be dispositioned.

I didn’t take anything.  And now it feels like I’m reliving the experience all over again.  When BH asked me about the furniture, I stood there and looked at the furniture we already have.  Sure, it would probably make more sense to donate ours and take his mother’s things.  But there would come a time when we would have to part with it all.  I don’t have a relationship with these items.  We’ve never even met.  I’m at a point where I don’t even want to hear about them.

It seems ironic to me that he’s talking about bringing things home when he’s been talking about making this house and everything in it go away.  I’ve stopped buying for this house.  I just don’t want to invest another cent.  I don’t want to get attached to anything else because I’m not going to have it very long before I have to say goodbye to it.

The last thing he said to me last night was this: All the things you think are valuable aren’t valuable to anyone else.

I guess that applies to more than just furniture.

Respected Contributor

I managed to hold off on buying any new beauty products this week, mostly because I just don't need anything right now. I've even managed to resist the 20% off sale at Ulta. I will need an evening cleanser soon, but I just can't justify spending $50 right now (to get free shipping of course) because I want a cleanser. I actually found the same cleanser that I want to try at Walmart cheaper and free shipping on just that one item, so when I actually need it, if I don't need anything else, I'll just order that one product. What a concept huh? If I need more items, I'll worry about it then. I just don't feel the urge to add more products right now. What's wrong with me?  I feel like I'm finally getting tired of the craziness after many years. I just have too many other things to expend my energy on, husband, kids, dogs, job, house, the list is endless. Worrying about skincare and makeup is just not something I'm terribly concerned with right now. And I'm so glad, because resisting has been so hard, and it's getting easier. I actually used up my last serum and I'm not sure if I'm even going to replace it or not. I probably will eventually, but usually I'd already have another one waiting in the wings. Or 2 or 3. We were at Walmart doing some back to school shopping a few days ago and for a treat I picked myself up 2 new sleep shirts instead. The couple I have are about 10 years old and have definitely seen better days. I haven't worn them yet, but they made me smile when I bought them, and I'd rather spend $10 on something like that than some makeup or skincare or lotion that will just become a chore to get thru and use up.

I have managed to do a tad more decluttering the last couple of weeks. We went thru both the kids rooms and their playroom while they are still home from school. Gone out of the house are a large black trash bag full of bulky plastic toys they don't use anymore, 2 white kitchen bags of assorted items, 2 small boxes of DVD's and books and a fish tank. I still have a few items here that need to go but I haven't decided what to do with them yet. Some of them I might try to sell, and if they don't sell after a couple weeks I will probably donate them too.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Better-half is still dealing with his mother’s possessions.  Like he said, even though she was a minimalist, there’s still a lot of stuff in that house.  These are well-made, valuable items and BH and his brother can’t seem to find anyone who wants them.  Last night he called and described his mom’s handcrafted dining room table and chairs.  Sounds amazing.  He will probably donate all that today.

He even asked me if he should rent something to haul it home.  It’s got to be impressive if he’s dreading letting it go.  He generally doesn’t get enthusiastic describing a table, but he was telling me about some of her furniture and it sounds like there are impressive pieces.

It only reminds me of my mother.  Both our mothers were fortunate enough to get to a point in their lives where they found their special places.  My mother found an ad in the paper when my sister was looking for a house and she even offered to give her the down payment.  Then when she saw the house she fell in love with it.  It was ridiculous.  The minute the front door opened and she stepped inside, I could tell something happened.  And so could the realtor who pulled her aside and told her to buy the place for herself.

She never had her own house and when she stood in the kitchen and looked out the window I knew she would have paid any price for it.  And she did.  Interest rates were astronomical and the place needed work.  But she loved that house.  My sister and I moved heavy furniture, rented trucks, painted, replaced flooring – we worked like dogs and I don’t even know how we did what we did.

Mom bought her dream furniture.  She had her fantasy Queen Anne dining room.  When she moved out here after my sister died, my other sister (the one who would have lived in that house if she had fallen as hard for it) emptied it and sold it.  All the items my mother valued ended up donated, in a dumpster or in storage until they could be dispositioned.

I didn’t take anything.  And now it feels like I’m reliving the experience all over again.  When BH asked me about the furniture, I stood there and looked at the furniture we already have.  Sure, it would probably make more sense to donate ours and take his mother’s things.  But there would come a time when we would have to part with it all.  I don’t have a relationship with these items.  We’ve never even met.  I’m at a point where I don’t even want to hear about them.

It seems ironic to me that he’s talking about bringing things home when he’s been talking about making this house and everything in it go away.  I’ve stopped buying for this house.  I just don’t want to invest another cent.  I don’t want to get attached to anything else because I’m not going to have it very long before I have to say goodbye to it.

The last thing he said to me last night was this: All the things you think are valuable aren’t valuable to anyone else.

@just bee

So, what was your reply to him about bringing home his mother's furniture?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@just bee

So, what was your reply to him about bringing home his mother's furniture?

@geezerette

His mother's brother is executor and has been useless.  All her siblings are retired and relatively well-off.  And where are they?  Other states.

BH's brother actually quit his job because he didn't know how long this was going to take.  This trip is costing a small fortune and now BH is talking about the additional expense of renting something to haul items here.  His brother is already planning on renting a truck to transport items to his mother's siblings.  That is, to me, going above and beyond.

BH just wants this to be done.  I want this to be done.  I regret that this has been a boondoggle but I don't want him bringing anything else into this house.

My vote was no.

Honored Contributor

@just bee

What a goat****!  No wonder BH is in a bad mood and feels like he does about your prized possessions.  

I can relate--we are in a similar situation.  Oh, not with our parents, who are are long gone, but our own situation.  None of either of our families will want anything we have, other than our cash, when we're gone.  The geezer's attitude is let 'em auction the junk off or leave it sit, he couldn't care less.  He's too cheap to buy much of anything, but he won't throw a piece of junk mail away.  And so it goes..

Once all the trauma of BH's mother is over and he is home for awhile, it will pass.  But having gone through this stuff, it does stick in one's mind and changes your outlook.  Apparently the younger people nowadays are no into "stuff" as much as the previous generations, although I tend to think they're just into different "stuff".  But I don't think that's a bad thing.  Our whole economy is based on consumption, and I don't think that's good.  The good part of his journey was when BH was surrounded by his mother's family and friends and everyone shared their memories of her.  The rest is just torture and meaningless.  Less stuff means more time for making memories with people that are important to you.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

What a goat****!  No wonder BH is in a bad mood and feels like he does about your prized possessions.  

I can relate--we are in a similar situation.  Oh, not with our parents, who are are long gone, but our own situation.  None of either of our families will want anything we have, other than our cash, when we're gone.  The geezer's attitude is let 'em auction the junk off or leave it sit, he couldn't care less.  He's too cheap to buy much of anything, but he won't throw a piece of junk mail away.  And so it goes..

Once all the trauma of BH's mother is over and he is home for awhile, it will pass.  But having gone through this stuff, it does stick in one's mind and changes your outlook.  Apparently the younger people nowadays are no into "stuff" as much as the previous generations, although I tend to think they're just into different "stuff".  But I don't think that's a bad thing.  Our whole economy is based on consumption, and I don't think that's good.  The good part of his journey was when BH was surrounded by his mother's family and friends and everyone shared their memories of her.  The rest is just torture and meaningless.  Less stuff means more time for making memories with people that are important to you.

@geezerette

No truer words.

I'm grateful that he was there with his mother and I think it's good that he has reconnected with his brother.  But I do suspect when this is all over, he will have nothing to do with the rest of the family.

I've known BH since he was 17.  He'll be 46 this year.  And I believe the reason we're still together is that I may be the only person on the planet he can still tolerate.  Funny thing is, I'm at the point where I'm thinking he's the only person I'm able to tolerate.

And this is the odd part.  He is a kind, compassionate human being who treats others with respect.  He and my sister are probably my favorite people.  My sister was my second mother and I idolized her.  She was a misanthrope but she was, again, someone who was decent and kind.  Oddly, she and BH both claimed to be atheists but, to me, these two people exemplified what I always thought a "good Christian" would be.  Kind, generous, respectful, helpful, altruistic, selfless.

When I met BH I told him he was the most Christian atheist I'd ever met.  He was mortified.  He has evolved and now doesn't bristle at the label "agnostic."

Ironically, I've known many a self-proclaimed humanitarian and 99% of these people shouldn't be allowed to be around other human beings.  I'm not even sure they should be around dogs.

Does any of this make sense?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

@geezerette

I think when he said, "All the things you think are valuable aren’t valuable to anyone else," he was referring to people in general and not me in particular.

I'm hoping he makes it home at some point this week before he has a stroke.