Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Auspicious August!

[ Edited ]

HEP update.  While I am not eating diet food and don't plan on it, I have cut back on snacking this week and have really up'd my exercising the last couple of weeks. Yesterday I went for the longest walk ever. I am going to start wearing a pedometer just for fun and out of curiosity.  I am trying intermittent fasting again.  I even started drinking black coffee in the morning.  Never thought I could do that and the first time it was awful and I was using cream but I tried again this time around and it is not bad. Getting use to it. Intermittent fasting hasn't been perfect but it has only been 4 days so I am giving myself time to adjust. I feel ready this time to stick it out for at least a month but hopefully longer. It is time to say goodbye to this middle that seems to just love me.  

I am sure I will lose some weight if I stick to it but my goal now is getting in shape physically and just letting the weight follow as a bonus. I am not letting my weight influence me mentally and trying not to step on the scale out of curiosity. It is always a motivation killer for me. 

Time for some pancakes.  Hahaha, did I mention no diet food for me. Smiley Embarassed  

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

I'm not a fan of "diet food," either.  If they take something out of a food product they're going to put something else in that I don't want.  When Better-half was out of town I found some cans of chicken noodle soup in the pantry.  They were getting close to the use-by date so I figured I'd polish these off to get rid of them.  For some reason they were reduced sodium.  I didn't buy these.

This stuff tasted like dirty dish water.  Zero flavor because the thing that gives canned soup flavor is sodium.  So to make this edible I added salt, black pepper and a generous amount of crushed red pepper.  Gak.

I'm not a milk drinker, but BH is.  I finally got him to lay off the non-fat, 1% and 2% stuff and just buy whole milk.  If I'm going to eat yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, cheese, cream cheese, butter, ice cream or any other dairy product, I want the fat.

In the two weeks BH was gone, I ate pretty well.  And I walked a lot because I was the only one here to take the dog on his daily outings.  I felt pretty good and I lost a few pounds.

I like my salads.  I fill a bowl with a variety of vegetables and usually add some kind of seed, fruit or bean/legume to the mix.  And I don't use a low fat dressing.  I actually don't need a lot of dressing because there's plenty of flavor in the items that make up the salad.

Still eat Skippy peanut butter just about every day but now I spread it on Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread.

Just a little tweaking.  What I have now is a little more energy and enthusiasm to support important projects like paper shredding and porter research.  In fact, the other day I drank a porter while I shredded.

I recommend this.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee, yes, they take out this, they add that and it is more processed.  

Lately, I try and get organic when I can, but I am starting to appreciate preservatives for certain things.  I bought a big jar of organic jelly from Costcos and it is not really old and it grew mold. Ewww. I had a third left.  I am not sure what made me look. I guess I was making a clean sweep of things in the fridge and kitchen cabinets and was checking everything.  What I threw out tonight was ridiculous and it could have been more.  Now that I have beauty items under control, my next focus will be groceries. 

Tonight I watched the movie "All the Way," I think it is called.  It was with Brian Cranston and it was about Lyndon Johnson.  I really enjoyed it. What great acting. 

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

So Better-half is still addressing his mother's estate issues and I have been in control of all my food.  I can't tell you how boring my menu has been.

Last week it was mostly fruit, salads and tuna sandwiches.  Had a Tony Soprano moment: I felt like I had a _______ albacore around my neck.  Or I was turning into a fish.  Tried to do a taste test: Kirkland albacore versus Wild Planet.  First of all, Kirkland has a 7-ounce can while Wild Planet offers 5 ounces.  I was going to compare these to canned salmon but, as I said, I was getting a little burned out on fish.  The stack of sardines in the cupboard is now not an option.

And I'm getting tired of lettuce.  Or should I say greens?  I don't even know what kind of greens I had yesterday.  Just a big bowl of different shaped leaves.  I think there was mizuna in there.

I have the opportunity to eat anything I want and I can't seem to figure out what that is.

What would you eat if you didn't have to think about anyone else?

Cereal.  That's what I used to eat before I had kids.  I like the Special K with the chocolate chunks in it.

Trusted Contributor

August has just flown right by me.  So many school events to attend.  New schedules to memorize.  Ack!  And it's still hot as ever here.

I missed so much of the posts this month.  Lots of heavy analyzing going on.  @just bee, hope your BH is feeling better.  You too, @geezerett.

I just started up with yoga again.  There's a series called Revolution Yoga which runs for 31 days and I want to see if I can do it.  I'm trying to make a habit shift.  I also want to read my Bible everyday.  The craziness of the world is getting to me and I don't want to be jaded and cynical.  I want to be compassionate and gracious, which is SOOOO hard now days.

I'm getting to the end of my summer makeup capsule.  I'm going to finish another lipstick, hooray!  I've been wearing much less makeup because it's just so hot.  I thought I was over face primers but I picked up a mattifying one because my t-zone is an oil slick.  No amount of powder can stop it right now.  Which is so baffling because I was so dry just a few months ago.  I have to agree with Jess from Stark Skincare that climate is more of a factor than skin type for me.  I don't have a skin type.  I have humidity.

There are a bunch of s-words that I want my September to be: serene, satisfying, simple.  I hope my habit shift causes a bunch of other shifts to happen.  Hm, shifting September.... 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee, yes, they take out this, they add that and it is more processed.  

Lately, I try and get organic when I can, but I am starting to appreciate preservatives for certain things.  I bought a big jar of organic jelly from Costcos and it is not really old and it grew mold. Ewww. I had a third left.  I am not sure what made me look. I guess I was making a clean sweep of things in the fridge and kitchen cabinets and was checking everything.  What I threw out tonight was ridiculous and it could have been more.  Now that I have beauty items under control, my next focus will be groceries. 

Tonight I watched the movie "All the Way," I think it is called.  It was with Brian Cranston and it was about Lyndon Johnson.  I really enjoyed it. What great acting. 

@aprilskies

I was going to write something about Bryan Cranston but I have the news on in the background and just heard that people were putting sunscreen in their eyes to watch the solar eclipse. 

I need a moment to process this.

Better-half said he heard this a week ago.  Somehow I missed this tidbit.  I've been trying to avoid the news because it has become a source of irritation.

Like Bryan Cranston.

Don't get me wrong -- he's a fine actor.  I suspect he may be in that place where Olivier found himself.  People asked why Olivier seemed unable to say no to a substandard script and his answer was simple: "I have bills -- I have to work."  That's not an exact quote, of course, but that was his situation.  He didn't have the luxury of waiting for great parts.  His time was limited and he had to work.

And that's why character actors have an advantage.  They can take a variety of roles in a variety of projects and people are less critical.  He's a working actor.

An odd expression if you think about it.

Anyway, Cranston has made some interesting choices since Breaking Bad, but at least he's been working steadily.  I did see All the Way (he won a Tony for his stage role) but there have been a couple things I couldn't get through.  I'll give him that -- he has been in a variety of projects.

To be fair, how picky can actors afford to be these days?  They must have to sift through a lot of miserable scripts.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

What would you eat if you didn't have to think about anyone else?

Cereal.  That's what I used to eat before I had kids.  I like the Special K with the chocolate chunks in it.

@Oshare-girl

Wow.  I can't remember the last time I had a bowl of cereal.  I actually considered buying some when BH was out of town, but I never got around to it.

I was heavily into Fortified Oat Flakes when I was ten.  I wouldn't even know where to begin in a cereal aisle today.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

August has just flown right by me.  So many school events to attend.  New schedules to memorize.  Ack!  And it's still hot as ever here.

I missed so much of the posts this month.  Lots of heavy analyzing going on.  @just bee@, hope your BH is feeling better.  You too, @geezerett.

I just started up with yoga again.  There's a series called Revolution Yoga which runs for 31 days and I want to see if I can do it.  I'm trying to make a habit shift.  I also want to read my Bible everyday.  The craziness of the world is getting to me and I don't want to be jaded and cynical.  I want to be compassionate and gracious, which is SOOOO hard now days.

I'm getting to the end of my summer makeup capsule.  I'm going to finish another lipstick, hooray!  I've been wearing much less makeup because it's just so hot.  I thought I was over face primers but I picked up a mattifying one because my t-zone is an oil slick.  No amount of powder can stop it right now.  Which is so baffling because I was so dry just a few months ago.  I have to agree with Jess from Stark Skincare that climate is more of a factor than skin type for me.  I don't have a skin type.  I have humidity.

There are a bunch of s-words that I want my September to be: serene, satisfying, simple.  I hope my habit shift causes a bunch of other shifts to happen.  Hm, shifting September.... 

@Oshare-girl

I'm thinking Sane September would be a nice change of pace.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

I was going to write something about Bryan Cranston but I have the news on in the background and just heard that people were putting sunscreen in their eyes to watch the solar eclipse. 

Better-half said he heard this a week ago.  Somehow I missed this tidbit.  I've been trying to avoid the news because it has become a source of irritation.

Like Bryan Cranston.

Anyway, Cranston has made some interesting choices since Breaking Bad, but at least he's been working steadily.  I did see All the Way (he won a Tony for his stage role) but there have been a couple things I couldn't get through.  I'll give him that -- he has been in a variety of projects.

To be fair, how picky can actors afford to be these days?  They must have to sift through a lot of miserable scripts.

I totally get it.  I tire of the same thing. I just don't watch actors that are constantly in your face.  I think it is important to choose good roles.  I don't think I have seen him in anything after Breaking Bad.  Him or Aaron, forget his last name, and if I did it wasn't memorable.  I guess he wanted to capitalize on his fame, which seems to be fleeting in Hollywood.  And good scripts, oy vey, what are they???

I thought everyone was good in this movie.  I think I enjoyed the movie since it was about LBJ and his time. A little bit of history.  I wouldn't mind a series on each president through a certain point.  I always wondered what it was like to live back then. 

And the news, I can only take so much. It just makes me shop more.    Hahaha, got to blame it on something. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

Like Bryan Cranston.

I totally get it.  I tire of the same thing. I just don't watch actors that are constantly in your face.  I think it is important to choose good roles.  I don't think I have seen him in anything after Breaking Bad.  Him or Aaron, forget his last name, and if I did it wasn't memorable.  I guess he wanted to capitalize on his fame, which seems to be fleeting in Hollywood.  And good scripts, oy vey, what are they???

I thought everyone was good in this movie.  I think I enjoyed the movie since it was about LBJ and his time. A little bit of history.  I wouldn't mind a series on each president through a certain point.  I always wondered what it was like to live back then. 

And the news, I can only take so much. It just makes me shop more.    Hahaha, got to blame it on something. 

@aprilskies

I remember.  And I feel like I'm living it all over again.

And it isn't pleasant.