Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Auspicious August!

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

I was going to write something about Bryan Cranston but I have the news on in the background and just heard that people were putting sunscreen in their eyes to watch the solar eclipse. 

I need a moment to process this.

Better-half said he heard this a week ago.  Somehow I missed this tidbit.  I've been trying to avoid the news because it has become a source of irritation.

Like Bryan Cranston.

Anyway, Cranston has made some interesting choices since Breaking Bad, but at least he's been working steadily.  I did see All the Way (he won a Tony for his stage role) but there have been a couple things I couldn't get through.  I'll give him that -- he has been in a variety of projects.

To be fair, how picky can actors afford to be these days?  They must have to sift through a lot of miserable scripts.

I totally get it.  I tire of the same thing. I just don't watch actors that are constantly in your face.  I think it is important to choose good roles.  I don't think I have seen him in anything after Breaking Bad.  Him or Aaron, forget his last name, and if I did it wasn't memorable.  I guess he wanted to capitalize on his fame, which seems to be fleeting in Hollywood.  And good scripts, oy vey, what are they???

I thought everyone was good in this movie.  I think I enjoyed the movie since it was about LBJ and his time. A little bit of history.  I wouldn't mind a series on each president through a certain point.  I always wondered what it was like to live back then. 

And the news, I can only take so much. It just makes me shop more.    Hahaha, got to blame it on something. 

@aprilskies

I remember.  And I feel like I'm living it all over again.

And it isn't pleasant.

@just bee,  Probably why this movie got my attention more. Flashback.....

If we need to repeat, let's do the 70's, for the music alone. I can dig it. Where are my bell bottoms?

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

I was going to write something about Bryan Cranston but I have the news on in the background and just heard that people were putting sunscreen in their eyes to watch the solar eclipse. 

I need a moment to process this.

Better-half said he heard this a week ago.  Somehow I missed this tidbit.  I've been trying to avoid the news because it has become a source of irritation.

Like Bryan Cranston.

Anyway, Cranston has made some interesting choices since Breaking Bad, but at least he's been working steadily.  I did see All the Way (he won a Tony for his stage role) but there have been a couple things I couldn't get through.  I'll give him that -- he has been in a variety of projects.

To be fair, how picky can actors afford to be these days?  They must have to sift through a lot of miserable scripts.

I totally get it.  I tire of the same thing. I just don't watch actors that are constantly in your face.  I think it is important to choose good roles.  I don't think I have seen him in anything after Breaking Bad.  Him or Aaron, forget his last name, and if I did it wasn't memorable.  I guess he wanted to capitalize on his fame, which seems to be fleeting in Hollywood.  And good scripts, oy vey, what are they???

I thought everyone was good in this movie.  I think I enjoyed the movie since it was about LBJ and his time. A little bit of history.  I wouldn't mind a series on each president through a certain point.  I always wondered what it was like to live back then. 

And the news, I can only take so much. It just makes me shop more.    Hahaha, got to blame it on something. 

@aprilskies

I remember.  And I feel like I'm living it all over again.

And it isn't pleasant.

@just bee,  Probably why this movie got my attention more. Flashback.....

If we need to repeat, let's do the 70's, for the music alone. I can dig it. Where are my bell bottoms?

@aprilskies

I've decided to relive the 80s by watching Halt and Catch Fire.  Of course its final season is in the 90s.  Not surprising.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

I've decided to relive the 80s by watching Halt and Catch Fire.  Of course its final season is in the 90s.  Not surprising.

70's and 80's, I miss those times. Just life in general.  It seemed everyone just helped each other for the most part - before selfies and cell phones and social media.  Yes, these things have their place and can be helpful, however, not so much with the addiction everyone seems to have developed.  This is the focus of one's life these days.

I have to catch up with Halt and Catch Fire. I think I made it through season 3. 

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies

@geezerette

If it'll make you two feel any better, I started shredding junk mail on Sunday and didn't stop until I had five trash bags full.

Five.

I'm just getting started.

@just bee

Makes me feel much better...

@geezerette

See, I get more mail than Better-half.  And, as I was shredding away, I realized that 90% of my mail is from organizations that have either received donations from me or are hoping to receive donations from me.  If they would stop sending me all this paper, they'd have plenty of money.

My whole approach to junk mail has been idiotic.  I associate paper with trees and so I feel obligated to recycle all this mail.  But my system was all wrong.

Better-half figures that he's done his part for recycling.  He hasn't produced any offspring so his footprint is microscopic.  He only recycles because I keep a large box in the kitchen for recyclables and whine occasionally.

He gets mail and immediately shreds it.  For some reason I believed that shredded paper, because it was in a plastic trash bag, was considered trash.  So I carefully remove recyclable parts from my junk mail (the parts that don't have my name and address).

This has become increasingly difficult because organizations put your name and address all over.  Do you know how much time I was spending analyzing every piece of mail and separating its parts?  Then I'd tear the parts with my name and address into little tiny bits and throw them in different trash receptacles throughout the house.

This was an exhausting process.  So, of course, I'd put if off as long as possible.  Meanwhile, mail would pile up.

Finally, I decided to check the city's website and I discovered that shredded paper is acceptable in the recycling bin.  (Kibble bags are not.)  Well, this is life-changing.  I don't have to separate anymore -- I can just shred it all.  (Of course, in the back of my mind I can picture someone piecing it all together but, really, who wants to do that when they can just break into my mailbox instead?  So much easier, right?)

Anyway, now that I know I can shred with abandon, I have a future of shredding ahead of me.  Junk mail, school papers, work papers -- all sorts of things.

I feel lighter already.

take a look at catalog choice dot org it can reduce your junk mail  

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Similarly, I just received an email from Cost Plus World Market that wanted to introduce me to their sister stores.

Again, I don't know where I've been, but I was not aware of some of these.

One Kings Lane

Of A Kind

Christmas Tree Shops

buybuy BABY

Bed Bath & Beyond (I'm familiar -- I just didn't know they were related)

Harmon Face Values Discount Health & Beauty

I'm not sure I understand the point of Face Values, but they do seem to carry a lot of product.

Harmon is an HBA store from here in the NYNJ area, have been shopping there for  years, it is the best, they have streamlined their products a bit since being acquired by BBB but now you can use coupons there.

I only shop there for drugstore makeup 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

70's and 80's, I miss those times. Just life in general.  It seemed everyone just helped each other for the most part - before selfies and cell phones and social media.  Yes, these things have their place and can be helpful, however, not so much with the addiction everyone seems to have developed.  This is the focus of one's life these days.

I have to catch up with Halt and Catch Fire. I think I made it through season 3. 

@aprilskies

The fourth and final season is back on AMC but the series has moved to Saturday night. 

I just tried to set up this week's episode (#4) on the DVR and it looks like there's a Walking Dead marathon instead.  EXCUSE ME????

Grrrr.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

take a look at catalog choice dot org it can reduce your junk mail  

@jackthebear

So could a flamethrower, but your idea sounds safer.

Honored Contributor

I normally put up my seasonal wreath on the first day of the month in which the season changes.  So, my fall wreath would go up tomorrow.  But I cheated and put it up today.  I am willing fall to come early.  And I might get my wish--the weatherman said this morning that next week we should have a front come through with unseasonably cool temps and (best of all) much lower humidity afterward.

I am so ready...🍁🍂🙏👏👍