Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Auspicious August!

Today is the 40th anniversary of Elvis' death. Any fans here?

My mom loved him so I grew up liking Elvis vs the Beatles. I've found either you were an Elvis family or a Beatles family, very few families appreciated both. IMO, Elvis was much cuter and had such an amazing voice! It would have been interesting to see what could have been if he had lived longer. Would he have been like Sinatra? Singing at an older age still?

My sister and I are doing a road trip this October to go see Graceland. We invited our mom to go too! She's really happy to be going to see the King. She had both knees replaced and hasn't been doing well walking lately so we decided it would be best sooner rather than later to go to Memphis. Anyone been to see it?

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Sorry for all of the posts, Everyone.  This will be my last one.

So, in the spirit of using things up, I finally put my body scrubs in the tub so I can begin to use them. I have 3.5 of them that I keep staring at and either I am going to use them or toss them.  They have been around too long now. Well, I used one and realized why I stopped using them. One, you need more time in the morning but two, they make the bathtub so slippery. Yikes. I had to be very careful after that. It is time to get these things out of my collection.

The good news is I opened my last bar of soap this morning and was going to start searching for a new shower gel. It is thrilling to be able to buy something new, I have been holding off. However, Geezerette, mentioned using her Wen cleansing conditioner as a facial cleanser and now I think I may try mine as a body cleanser.  It is the tea tree one so I am not sure if that will be pleasant but doesnt hurt to try and a good way to use something I thought was going to eventually get tossed. 

Alright, I hope everyone has a nice day. 

Just Bee, I hope your husband is hanging in there.

@aprilskies

I've given up products that make the shower slippery or clog the drain.  I finally bought those Salux towels and I can't imagine how I showered without them.  Getting good results with all those B&BW shower gels I thought I couldn't use.

As for Better-half, he and his brother are emptying the house and just about everything will be donated.  The area is lovely but the people up there are grating on his nerves.  I suspect he's getting more misanthropic.  All this time I thought he just hated New Mexico.

He'll be on an even bigger anti-stuff rampage when he gets back.  Maybe I should hide things in a storage unit before his return...

And I still don't know what to eat.  Why doesn't pizza sound good anymore?

P.S. Apology not accepted.  Never apologize for posting!  We always enjoy hearing from you.

@just bee

Sounds like my kinda guy.

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

My mom loved him so I grew up liking Elvis vs the Beatles. I've found either you were an Elvis family or a Beatles family, very few families appreciated both. IMO, Elvis was much cuter and had such an amazing voice! It would have been interesting to see what could have been if he had lived longer. Would he have been like Sinatra? Singing at an older age still?

My sister and I are doing a road trip this October to go see Graceland. We invited our mom to go too! She's really happy to be going to see the King. She had both knees replaced and hasn't been doing well walking lately so we decided it would be best sooner rather than later to go to Memphis. Anyone been to see it?

@FindingMyJoy

We live just a few hours from Memphis, but I'll admit we have never been to Graceland for the whole tour thing.  Because it's an a big anniversary year, there has been a lot of publicity about it in the last few weeks.  Lots of visitors from all over the world.

One note--it used to be free to see Graceland, but now there is a nominal entry fee.  (I don't remember offhand just how much it is.)  They say that they've had to hire a security firm in recent years which accounts for the charge.

Hope you, your sister and mom have a great time!  October is a good month, weather-wise--usually cooler and drier than it is now.  At least, I sure hope so!!

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@aprilskies

@aprilskies

Up early this morning because the world's greatest dog was barking at 3 AM.  He's not a barker so I knew I had to investigate.  We had coyotes in our cul-de-sac.

I'm down to peanut butter and frozen burritos right now.  This means I have to go to the store.  I do need a chef and I think Better-half is missing his kitchen.  He realized when he got to his mother's house that someone had taken the toaster and skillets.  He and his brother haven't been eating well -- just grabbing something quick when they can.  I had to email him restaurant options so he didn't end up at chains or eating fast food.  Sounds like he's eating salads, too.

As for basements, some houses here have them but most don't.  I already have a storage room.  No, it's time to address the possessions.

He seems to have an issue with my mugs.  Since he has given up caffeine he's not drinking tea or coffee.  There's only one person in the house who drinks tea, he says, so why does that person need 40 mugs?

I'm fond of my mugs.  Which reminds me -- I need another mug of tea.

Mugs, I love mugs, but I have dwindled my collection. I just recently chipped one of my favorites mugs. Bummer. I got this thing in Bermunda at least 22 years ago. I still use it though. It is chipped on one side of the rim just below so it is still usable. I cant bring myself to throw it out just yet.  I have been a klutz lately with many things. 

Although, 40 mugs, lol, I dont think I have ever had 40 mugs at once.  That is a lot of mugs, JB.

Respected Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@just bee wrote:

So Better-half is still addressing his mother's estate issues and I have been in control of all my food.  I can't tell you how boring my menu has been.

Last week it was mostly fruit, salads and tuna sandwiches.  Had a Tony Soprano moment: I felt like I had a _______ albacore around my neck.  Or I was turning into a fish.  Tried to do a taste test: Kirkland albacore versus Wild Planet.  First of all, Kirkland has a 7-ounce can while Wild Planet offers 5 ounces.  I was going to compare these to canned salmon but, as I said, I was getting a little burned out on fish.  The stack of sardines in the cupboard is now not an option.

And I'm getting tired of lettuce.  Or should I say greens?  I don't even know what kind of greens I had yesterday.  Just a big bowl of different shaped leaves.  I think there was mizuna in there.

I have the opportunity to eat anything I want and I can't seem to figure out what that is.

What would you eat if you didn't have to think about anyone else?

Uh, I did exactly that last week and ended up having a medium cookie dough blizzard for dinner, followed by a hard-boiled egg for something healthy. 😳😫

Oh yea, @BExplorer, sometimes it is just a big ole piece of cake.  Those are the happy dinners.

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Ok...you all pushed me over the edge! I have seen great reviews for salux cloths for years and have debated about buying. I saw the love mentioned here and oh yeah I checked out some more reviews and then went online to buy some!! LOL

I also don't like how the shower gets super slippery from regular scrubs and the buildup in the drains definitely slows down draining when I use them a lot. I'm looking forward to trying something new!! I'm ok with the purchase due to it sounds like these things can last a long time and they are reuseable/washable vs a scrub that's one time use! Is it sad that it took me a lot of debating about what color to try? I finally decided to get a 3 pack of a mix of colors then....I saw they have a "new" version? Bought 1 of them to try too.

Since it's a cloth, it doesn't break any of my August goals Smiley Wink

@FindingMyJoy, just keep in mind when you get the cloth and first try it, it will be a bit rough. Dont be surprised.  However, you will get use to it but it does depend on your sensitivity. I am still mindful how hard I use it.   I love it.  I have about 8 on hand. Yes, I can be a nut. I even have a heavier one that I was going to use for dry brushing and have never used. I will spare you the story.  No more scrubs for me. I am just trying to get through what I have on hand. 

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Ok...you all pushed me over the edge! I have seen great reviews for salux cloths for years and have debated about buying. I saw the love mentioned here and oh yeah I checked out some more reviews and then went online to buy some!! LOL

I also don't like how the shower gets super slippery from regular scrubs and the buildup in the drains definitely slows down draining when I use them a lot. I'm looking forward to trying something new!! I'm ok with the purchase due to it sounds like these things can last a long time and they are reuseable/washable vs a scrub that's one time use! Is it sad that it took me a lot of debating about what color to try? I finally decided to get a 3 pack of a mix of colors then....I saw they have a "new" version? Bought 1 of them to try too.

Since it's a cloth, it doesn't break any of my August goals Smiley Wink

@FindingMyJoy

Same thing here.  I looked at them for years and finally broke down and ordered a 3-pack (blue, pink, yellow).  Je ne regrette rien!

Five things have me looking forward to showers again: The Salux cloth, the scalp scrubber, Suave shampoo and conditioner, a good squeegee.  It's a whole new world in there now.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Coyotes??!! Is it common to see them? The craziest thing we see in our neighborhood are some albino squirrels. LOL

@FindingMyJoy

This is Albuquerque -- home of Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner.  Both creatures are common here, but coyotes in my cul-de-sac are not as common as coyotes in the bosque.

But that's nuthin'!  Yesterday there was a BEAR on my side of town -- just a few blocks away.  Today there was one in Rio Rancho.  Coyotes, yes; but bears?

Weird stuff going on around here.  Solar eclipse, maybe?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@FindingMyJoy

I had posted on another thread:

Re: Elvis' 40th anniversary

I was 17 and at my college orientation.  We were all sitting around talking when someone walked by and said that Elvis was dead.  We all reacted the same way.  It's a joke, right?

A product of the British Invasion, I didn't really appreciate him until 1972.  When Burning Love was on the charts I had a dream about him and woke up a fan.

Incredible voice.  He was the King.

What's weird is that it feels like yesterday.  And I'm sick with jealousy -- a road trip!  That sounds like a great time!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

As for Better-half, he and his brother are emptying the house and just about everything will be donated.  The area is lovely but the people up there are grating on his nerves.  I suspect he's getting more misanthropic.  All this time I thought he just hated New Mexico.

He'll be on an even bigger anti-stuff rampage when he gets back.  Maybe I should hide things in a storage unit before his return...

And I still don't know what to eat.  Why doesn't pizza sound good anymore?

P.S. Apology not accepted.  Never apologize for posting!  We always enjoy hearing from you.

@just bee

Sounds like my kinda guy.

@geezerette

You're killin' me.  His fuse has definitely been shorter lately.  I'm hoping he gets back here before he pops his cork and gets arrested.

He may show up on the news...

If you see someone with sparkling blue eyes -- that's him!