Highlighted
Honored Contributor

ComPact 2017 – Auspicious August!

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Auspicious August!

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

HEP Cats

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

I confess to needing some inspiration to getting back on track. Will read the posts.  Thanks for your vigilence, @just bee.

Honored Contributor

@aggravated

Vigilant Bee

Trusted Contributor

Hi Everyone! It's been a while since I posted here but I do always look forward to reading this thread, knowing that it's a happy friendly place!

It's August 1!! I'm in denial that the 3rd month of Summer is here! I have made it a point this Summer to get outside as much as I can to enjoy the nice weather. I've done several walks around pretty lakes and gardens. Taking time to smell the roses! Smiley Happy

I have a major work change - starting last week, I'm full time working at home. I had been already down to being in office 2 days a week previously with the rest at home. By working at home, my makeup usage will drastically change since I don't see the point in doing a full face when I'm at home. I'll continue to do my regular skincare routine ending with tinted spf moisturizer.

Last month, a couple of you mentioned Bare Minerals eye shadow. I also have a stash of small containers. Some not yet used but were purchased as a kit. Kits....oh yeah...bought them because "they were such a great deal!" But then I rarely used all of the items.

I found myself last week placing an order for a couple shirts. I ordered, then thought about it - why am I buying new stuff since I have plenty of items to wear at home and some better quality items for going out? I had the good sense to cancel the order. Going forward, I will have to ask myself if I really need the item since I won't be dressing up each day for work. It will be interesting to see how my purchasing will drop!

ComPacting Goal for this month - no make up, shower gels/body creams, or skincare purchases.  

Fun Goal for this month - I had bought a State Parks pass earlier this Summer. It's still not been used! My goal is to try out a couple new parks to get out of my rut of the usual walking places to try something new.

Eating goal - Visit my local farmer's market to buy fresh produce and USE IT!!! Don't over buy and feel bad if any goes to waste.

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:
... Going forward, I will have to ask myself if I really need the item since I won't be dressing up each day for work. It will be interesting to see how my purchasing will drop!

ComPacting Goal for this month - no make up, shower gels/body creams, or skincare purchases.  

Fun Goal for this month - I had bought a State Parks pass earlier this Summer. It's still not been used! My goal is to try out a couple new parks to get out of my rut of the usual walking places to try something new.

Eating goal - Visit my local farmer's market to buy fresh produce and USE IT!!! Don't over buy and feel bad if any goes to waste.

@FindingMyJoy

Good goals!

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Hi Everyone! It's been a while since I posted here but I do always look forward to reading this thread, knowing that it's a happy friendly place!

It's August 1!! I'm in denial that the 3rd month of Summer is here! I have made it a point this Summer to get outside as much as I can to enjoy the nice weather. I've done several walks around pretty lakes and gardens. Taking time to smell the roses! Smiley Happy

I have a major work change - starting last week, I'm full time working at home. I had been already down to being in office 2 days a week previously with the rest at home. By working at home, my makeup usage will drastically change since I don't see the point in doing a full face when I'm at home. I'll continue to do my regular skincare routine ending with tinted spf moisturizer.

Last month, a couple of you mentioned Bare Minerals eye shadow. I also have a stash of small containers. Some not yet used but were purchased as a kit. Kits....oh yeah...bought them because "they were such a great deal!" But then I rarely used all of the items.

I found myself last week placing an order for a couple shirts. I ordered, then thought about it - why am I buying new stuff since I have plenty of items to wear at home and some better quality items for going out? I had the good sense to cancel the order. Going forward, I will have to ask myself if I really need the item since I won't be dressing up each day for work. It will be interesting to see how my purchasing will drop!

@FindingMyJoy, I was wondering you had run off too.  So nice to see you post.  Enjoyed reading your update.

I, too, vowed this summer to enjoy different parks I had not been too. I started off the summer pretty good but then it dwindled. I think the humidity gets the best of me. You have reminded me of that goal, so I will make it a point in August to make it to at least two parks for a walk or two. And, I know, where did July go. It made me realize I have to make some plans for August, otherwise, I will find myself at the end saying where did August go.

Those are good goals for August and I will join you. My purchases have been limited this year as far as products, but with the holidays coming up, I have to be more mindful. 

Eating - well, I keep trying to be healthier. I havent quite achieved it just yet. But, I will not give up the fight.

Working from home, is that a good thing for you?  I can work one day from home and I love it. Just avoiding all the traffic in the morning and evening is a dream. Plus the fact, I dont have to jump out of bed as early. I would love to wfh all week - I think.  Or at least have the option of days as I chose.

Honored Contributor

Well, although I can’t say I’m eager for August, I am definitely glad to see July come to a close. June and July were not kind this year, and August puts me just that much closer to fall and cooler, drier weather (hopefully).

Lots of spending occurred in our household the past month. Seems like everything collapsed at the same time, including me. It got so that we were happy when we only had a repair bill instead of having to replace something. The old geezer was not thrilled and so is now watching the mail and UPS deliveries like a hawk, so it’s a good thing I’ve finished my buying too.

On the plus side, I think I can say that I have all my Christmas shopping done. We don’t celebrate Christmas, but we have friends, acquaintances and professionals that we see all year that do, so we buy for them.

On the compacting front, I dumped and donated a bunch and have three more large bags waiting to be donated when I can get to them. I got my “beauty” routine as compact as it’s been in decades and once I’m positive I’m finished for good with all those serums, they are being tossed too. That was a lesson in itself. I ended up simplifying and in so doing, found that is better for my skin. The downside is that what I’m using is expensive, but since it’s easy, quick and luxurious, I don’t mind the extra expense. Just that much more incentive not to buy other things.

HEP is going well, not that I’m enjoying it. Because of stress (which I’ve never handled well) and my poor eating habits of the last several years, I ended up with some gut problems. I’ve had this before, so it’s entirely my fault because I knew I shouldn't have been eating like I was. Now I have to bite the bullet and eat really clean. I’m trying to have a mindset that this is going to be my future, not something to “get through” so I can feel better and then just go back to junk food again. Nope, I’m too old now to be doing that; next time I’m liable to not be able to come out from under it with just cleaning up the diet. I just can’t seem to get over the idea that everybody else is enjoying themselves and I have to eat rabbit food. But I’m working on that attitude too, though.

So, I hope everyone else is doing well. It’s nice to see some of the occasional posters checking in with their progress too. Glad to know there are others out there plugging away at “No Buy! No Buy!”

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

Lots of spending occurred in our household the past month. Seems like everything collapsed at the same time, including me. It got so that we were happy when we only had a repair bill instead of having to replace something. The old geezer was not thrilled and so is now watching the mail and UPS deliveries like a hawk, so it’s a good thing I’ve finished my buying too.

On the compacting front, I dumped and donated a bunch and have three more large bags waiting to be donated when I can get to them. I got my “beauty” routine as compact as it’s been in decades and once I’m positive I’m finished for good with all those serums, they are being tossed too. That was a lesson in itself. I ended up simplifying and in so doing, found that is better for my skin. The downside is that what I’m using is expensive, but since it’s easy, quick and luxurious, I don’t mind the extra expense. Just that much more incentive not to buy other things.

HEP is going well, not that I’m enjoying it. Because of stress (which I’ve never handled well) and my poor eating habits of the last several years, I ended up with some gut problems. I’ve had this before, so it’s entirely my fault because I knew I shouldn't have been eating like I was. Now I have to bite the bullet and eat really clean. I’m trying to have a mindset that this is going to be my future, not something to “get through” so I can feel better and then just go back to junk food again. Nope, I’m too old now to be doing that; next time I’m liable to not be able to come out from under it with just cleaning up the diet. I just can’t seem to get over the idea that everybody else is enjoying themselves and I have to eat rabbit food. But I’m working on that attitude too, though.

So, I hope everyone else is doing well. It’s nice to see some of the occasional posters checking in with their progress too. Glad to know there are others out there plugging away at “No Buy! No Buy!”

I know, doesn't it seem like it all comes at once sometimes.  It is crazy.  I hope you are doing better as well.

I finished my Drunk Elephant Vit C serum this morning and I was so happy to throw out that bottle.  I thought for sure it was going to get wasted, a side effect of having too much. I have other serums in rotation but I will not be replacing any when they are finished and may just toss at one point. I dont want to keep using all of these different things on my face and dont want to deal with reverting everything to the body. That line is long too. lol.  I will tell you though, my skin was so much better before I went crazy with skincare.  Hello 40's, qvc and these boards.  ...and let me not forget my "spending" addiction. Smiley Embarassed  I never had a skincare or makeup addiction before my 40's, it was just every other category that was a problem.  Although I will say, when I found these boards, it was so much fun back then.  Everyone was running around trying to find products and just having a good time. These boards were a hoot.  Between handbags, makeup, skincare, clothes, etc, it was a bunch of ladies just having some fun.  I miss though days. 

I wouldnt mind paying a little extra for things if I had my holy grails. It would actually be cheaper as opposed to buying various products and mentally refreshing. Part of my problem, is that I dont have holy grails and when I do have one, they change it.  But, once I am able to get things to a reasonable level, I will just stick with basic gentle cleansers and moisturizers. If they still make those.  I am getting there one product at a time.  At the end of the year, I just may make a clean sweep regardless of what I still have. I am tired of trying to get through things I dont even care to use.   

I hope you are your furbabies are doing well.

HEP - totally with you.  While I am not going totally clean, I need to clean up my diet big time. It is hard for me because if it is in front of me, I indulge. I have no willpower. And if I have it in my house, regardless of what it is, I dont rest until it is done. But, I am at the point too, I am starting to have too many problems and need to take action by eating better and moving more before I really have no choice,

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

I so much see myself in you that it's not even funny.  I've always thought of myself as a logical, fairly intelligent person.  But yet, I seem to have fallen for the oldest tricks in the book when it comes to being gulliable about buying all the hype.  About so many things.  I know darn well that no topical lotion or potion is going to magically fix all the things I don't like about my face.  So why do I keep buying that stuff?  I never used to do that.  I think it stems from wanting to be like everybody else and never feeling quite good enough.  I can't even figure out why I would feel that way--no one else in my family seems to have that problem.  (Not to say that you are in that same predicament, you just seem to say so many of the things I feel and do also.)

'Nuff 'bout that.  I can't say if I found my "Holy Grail" or not, mine sort of came about out of frustration.  My skin, having been oily all my life, started getting dry.  And kept getting drier.  Everything  I tried didn't give me enough moisture, but so many of the heavier cleansers and moisturizers still broke me out.  Out of desperation and exhaustion, one day I tried my WEN Cleaning Conditioner as a facial cleanser.  It was wonderful!  After a of experimentation, I finally ended up using WEN Body Cleansing Creme, followed by the Ultra Nourishing Body Cream and that's it!  It's not too much and doesn't break me out.  Plus it eliminates a bunch of products.  I couldn't find an SPF that was moisturizing enough by itself, so I just use the Body Cream underneath my made-for-oily-skin Paula's Choice SPF in the morning.  I figure WEN won't be changing anything for a while, but I'm taking my chances with Paula's Choice since they seem to be on a kick to change formulas lately.  

Yes, I am feeling considerably better physically now, thank you.  But as soon as I did, my old eating habit reared its ugly head.  Just this morning I sneaked a three-day-old sausage and put mayonnaise on it--a complete no-no!  It was easy to eat right when I felt awful, now it's getting hard again.  I'm just going to have to get my head straight about that, along with all this other stuff.  But why am I having so many problems with this at this age?  I seem to have turned into a complete and utter idiot.  I've abdicated all responsibility for myself.  Why?  That's what I can't seem to figure out.

Well, I can't end on that cheery note, so let me say that tomorrow promises to be a very nice day here: cooler with lower humidity, at least for one day.  I'm going to do all I can to enjoy it.  I hope everyone else has a great weekend too!