Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 – Appreciative April!

[ Edited ]

So... something I learned from my psych conference yesterday:

"Addictions hijack higher cortical functioning."

My brain was just hijacked.  I ordered the BB cream.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Lol.  I almost did too but then closed the computer. I want to see if other things work first.  However, as I was getting ready this morning, it dawned on me that I have 2 isomers bb creams. Oy vey.  I vaguely remember they didn't have much color or do anything at all, but I will now try them again.  One is open so I will see if it is still good and who knows if the other one still is.  What is it you said about higher cortical functioning? 

This backlog is cramping my style. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Lol.  I almost did too but then closed the computer. I want to see if other things work first.  However, as I was getting ready this morning, it dawned on me that I have 2 isomers bb creams. Oy vey.  I vaguely remember they didn't have much color or do anything at all, but I will now try them again.  One is open so I will see if it is still good and who knows if the other one still is.  What is it you said about higher cortical functioning? 

@aprilskies

Interesting.  The Isomers BB cream is colorless.  Sounds a lot like the Lumene BB serum.  You should mix the Isomers with a foundation (or BB/CC cream) to get the skincare benefits and use it up.  The Lumene colorless BB serum added a bit of luminosity to the CC cream -- I was happy with the combination.

You should use the Isomers on no make-up days when you're hanging around the house.  Sounds like it would be a good primer and good for your skin.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Agreed, this mindful and intentional living certainly takes a lot of effort.  I think I am pretty much obsessed with it.  There are worst things to be obsessed about, I guess.  

I wouldn't say that I've been as vigilent in HEP.  Most days I try to stay away from sweets, but there are many slip ups.  I started a worm bin composting system on Easter and am considering that a part of HEP.  It's not really related but I feel like I am doing something good for the planet in a very small way.  We are also taking the trash out less often.  I think because there's no more stinky food in there.  It really is amazing that there is no smell (well, it smells like dirt) while the worms are doing their work.

I'm trying out bar soap instead of body wash.  For now.  Another thing for the planet.  Less packaging is involved in bar soap.  I wanted to make it feel special so I bought it during the Sephora sale, but if it works out well then I think I can use good ole Dr. Bronner's bar soaps instead.  Speaking of that sale, I stuck with my plan and only got a replacement brush head for the Clarisonic and 2 bars of soap.  I declined the free samples and point perks.  Nothing unnecesary was purchased.

I got a ton of marketing for Earth Day sales, but didn't cave.  I'm kind of sick of all the marketing, even from the "green" beauty community.  In fact, I think they market MORE than conventional beauty and it's getting irritating.  Is it only me or do selfies irritate other people?  We are living in a selfie-centered world.  All smoochie lipped and filtered.  

Speaking of BB/CC creams, have you tried the bareMinerals Complexion Rescue?  I bought a tube when drugstore.com was have its fire sale.  Did I need it?  No.  I wish I could pass it on to @just bee or @aprilskies to try out.  It's a nice hydrating base with some SPF.  But it's been sitting in my drawer while I finish up my No Foundation Serum.  As I said on the Use it up thread, I'm starting to feel like my HG face base is just my face, not a product.  I've been struggling lately with SPF.  I tried the NeoStrata SPF that Hot and Flashy mentioned in a video but it's really tacky and actually dried out my skin and it's causing itching, kinda like when I used to use the bareMinerals powder foundation.   Then I was setting my makeup with my usual UD All Nighter setting spray but that has started to dry out my skin too.  Old, new, not much is working right now.  My skin is better without these products.  Isn't that ironic?  HG is what God gave me, my own skin, unadorned.  If I would only stop fighting it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl

Your worm adventure reminds me of the ER episode in which Hathaway decides to raise worms as her ticket out of the emergency room.  I envy you.  It sounds like you have soil. 

I've read positive reviews about the Complexion Rescue but now I've committed to that pūr~lisse BB cream.  We'll see how that goes.

When I looked at all those YouTube videos the other day (and lost all those brain cells) I was annoyed by the amount of product these girls slathered on themselves.  I want a BB/CC cream to do it all.  I don't want a separate SPF, primer, highlighter, concealer, moisturizer or whatever else I'm supposed to smear on myself.

I don't care if a product doesn't cover every flaw -- my life isn't on the red carpet.

The goal is still one drawer, one shelf.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies

Interesting.  The Isomers BB cream is colorless.  Sounds a lot like the Lumene BB serum.  You should mix the Isomers with a foundation (or BB/CC cream) to get the skincare benefits and use it up.  The Lumene colorless BB serum added a bit of luminosity to the CC cream -- I was happy with the combination.

You should use the Isomers on no make-up days when you're hanging around the house.  Sounds like it would be a good primer and good for your skin.

I think that is what I will do.  I used it on the back of my hand yesterday and it seems fine so I will try it on my face. And it does have a bit of a slip to it so you are right that it may act as a primer with some benefits. I dont really have any liquid foundations, all of mine are powder, but I will use it alone or mix it with my moisturizer.  I may be able to use it as my summer moisturizer. We'll see. I dont need a lot of moisture in the summer but who knows if I even have anything left on my face by the time I leave the house.  Thank you humidity.

It continues to be an interesting year.  I cant tell you how many times I organized. I even put this bb cream in my bathroom wall vanity so I can begin to use it. But, because it is not in the part of the cabinet with the things I use everyday, I forgot I had them.  So now, it is front and center. 

This use up year continues to be interesting.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

How do you like the feeling you get when you empty a container and toss it in the recycling bin?

I finished a tube of toothpaste, an ancient B&BW shower cream and my final, saved bottle of pure grace conditioner (which was so old it was downgraded for shaving).

What I can't figure out is how my drawers and shelves still look like I haven't stopped shopping.

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl - I agree, mindful consumption is becomng an obsession for me too.  Sometimes it feels exhausting to think through every purchase, but I am pushing for the day where it is the rule for me and not the exception. 

I am with Just Bee, I envy your compost pile. This has been on my mind for some time but I just dont have the space for it.  I would even love a garden one day.  

Selfies - oh yea- it is time to move past this trend. Although, I fear it is not a trend and a way of life now.  People have to get over themselves before we can even make our way back to "normal."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old, new, not much is working right now.  My skin is better without these products.  Isn't that ironic?  HG is what God gave me, my own skin, unadorned.  If I would only stop fighting it.

What you said here is so exactly right, I cant even begin to express. This is exacty what I am finding - for both skincare and mu.  Isnt that a blip.  So, why are we fighting it? 

Admittedly, my ears still perk when I hear of new things.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl - I agree, mindful consumption is becomng an obsession for me too.  Sometimes it feels exhausting to think through every purchase, but I am pushing for the day where it is the rule for me and not the exception. 

I am with Just Bee, I envy your compost pile. This has been on my mind for some time but I just dont have the space for it.  I would even love a garden one day.  

Selfies - oh yea- it is time to move past this trend. Although, I fear it is not a trend and a way of life now.  People have to get over themselves before we can even make our way back to "normal."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old, new, not much is working right now.  My skin is better without these products.  Isn't that ironic?  HG is what God gave me, my own skin, unadorned.  If I would only stop fighting it.

What you said here is so exactly right, I cant even begin to express. This is exacty what I am finding - for both skincare and mu.  Isnt that a blip.  So, why are we fighting it? 

Admittedly, my ears still perk when I hear of new things.

There will always be new things.  Some of these new things are really just old things in different packages.  The result is usually the same.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies

How do you like the feeling you get when you empty a container and toss it in the recycling bin?

I finished a tube of toothpaste, an ancient B&BW shower cream and my final, saved bottle of pure grace conditioner (which was so old it was downgraded for shaving).

What I can't figure out is how my drawers and shelves still look like I haven't stopped shopping.

@just bee- It is a great feeling. Especially when I finish an older product that I thought for sure was going to see the trash bin. It really is satisfying. Between last week and this week, I will be tossing 5 or 6 empties and I cant tell you how good it feels to move these out. 

I know, you are so right. Yesterday, as I was looking for my bb cream, I thought the same thing, my cabinets and shelves dont look much better.  That is not so satisfying. Woman Sad I am hoping it is like losing weight, you can be good and it doesnt feel like anything is happening and then one day, boom, you are 10 lbs lighter. I hope.....  I am not giving up. One by one.

It will be awhile but I think I can get my skincare to a good place if I keep pushing.  However, mu not so much.