Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,474
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

 

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

 

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

 

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

 

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,474
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

 

Hep Cat

 

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

 

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,616
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!

While I'm not a compact person per se, I have been tackling and decluttering various areas of my home since my daughter has moved out temporarily. I've cleaned out and decluttered her bathroom. tackled a couple of bedroom bookshelves full of books and bookazines and started to declutter a downstairs closet that is used like a bookshelf. I probably donated at least 100 books or so. I figure that I have read them, I won't read them again, and if I want to read a certain book I'll buy a Kindle and download it.

 

I figure it's one small project at a time. My next project is to shred boxes of paper but it takes up a lot of volume for the trash can so I'm only doing a bag full at a time as that's what can fit into the trash. I'm surprised at how much room a magazine binder's worth of paper takes up when it's shredded.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 528
Registered: ‎08-16-2016

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!

I've been feeling lately that the "right" amount of stuff to own--different for everyone--is the amount you can live with and use and not have it constantly getting disorganized. Maybe you all already know that, and I'm just arriving late to the party!

 

But it seems to me that there are things I can sort out, purge and organize one year, only to need to do it again the next year. Or more often. And the worst part is when I tackle it--again--and realize I've sort of forgotten what I had, or how I had it organized before. This happens for me more often than I would like with papers, books, toiletires, occasionally clothes, and sometimes even pantry food. At a certain point after organizing it, it turns into a blur in my mind, and once that happens, it's just clutter until I reorganize it again.

 

So what defines the point at which it changes from a known set of stuff (whatever kind of stuff it is), into a mysterious set of undifferentiated sludge? I think it is when I add something to it without stopping and taking the time to integrate it with the rest. The new paperwork that gets tossed into a file, but not really filed. The new eyeliner that gets opened without going through the other eyeliners. "It's not really messy," I tell myself, "I'll do it later. But later is too late, because the problem isn't that the item I added is messy, but that it immediately turns that whole category of stuff into a mindless mess. Or rather, and out-of-mindfullness mess! 

 

I'm really just thinking out loud here. Making sense to anyone?

I know I can't buy happiness, but I can buy Champagne, and isn't that the same thing?
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,474
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!


@TY1 wrote:

While I'm not a compact person per se, I have been tackling and decluttering various areas of my home since my daughter has moved out temporarily. I've cleaned out and decluttered her bathroom. tackled a couple of bedroom bookshelves full of books and bookazines and started to declutter a downstairs closet that is used like a bookshelf. I probably donated at least 100 books or so. I figure that I have read them, I won't read them again, and if I want to read a certain book I'll buy a Kindle and download it.

 

I figure it's one small project at a time. My next project is to shred boxes of paper but it takes up a lot of volume for the trash can so I'm only doing a bag full at a time as that's what can fit into the trash. I'm surprised at how much room a magazine binder's worth of paper takes up when it's shredded.


I have bookcases in almost every room in the house.  I still have boxes of books, unpacked after moving here in 1995.  This is an area that has to be addressed because if I ever decide to relocate I'd never be able to afford to relocate these books. 

 

As you pointed out, it's one small project at a time.  Tackle one area, one collection.  But it's so true about the shredding: We're left with an explosion of paper!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,474
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!


@KaySD wrote:

I've been feeling lately that the "right" amount of stuff to own--different for everyone--is the amount you can live with and use and not have it constantly getting disorganized. Maybe you all already know that, and I'm just arriving late to the party!

 

But it seems to me that there are things I can sort out, purge and organize one year, only to need to do it again the next year. Or more often. And the worst part is when I tackle it--again--and realize I've sort of forgotten what I had, or how I had it organized before. This happens for me more often than I would like with papers, books, toiletires, occasionally clothes, and sometimes even pantry food. At a certain point after organizing it, it turns into a blur in my mind, and once that happens, it's just clutter until I reorganize it again.

 

So what defines the point at which it changes from a known set of stuff (whatever kind of stuff it is), into a mysterious set of undifferentiated sludge? I think it is when I add something to it without stopping and taking the time to integrate it with the rest. The new paperwork that gets tossed into a file, but not really filed. The new eyeliner that gets opened without going through the other eyeliners. "It's not really messy," I tell myself, "I'll do it later. But later is too late, because the problem isn't that the item I added is messy, but that it immediately turns that whole category of stuff into a mindless mess. Or rather, and out-of-mindfullness mess! 

 

I'm really just thinking out loud here. Making sense to anyone?


Perfect sense!  This will resonate with ComPacters because this is precisely what we live with every day.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,474
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!

Fall FUN

 

 

It's a new month and it's about time!  As soon as I detect autumn, I start feeling better about everything.  Something's in the air: A new season's just around the corner and it's an opportunity for fun!

 

Anyone else excited about the change in seasons and the opportunity to change our diets, our wardrobes, our habits, our attitudes?  It's time for a tune-up!

 

I want to eat soup and wear sweaters and sweats and jackets.  I want to chop off my hair and go hiking and explore.

 

What are you looking forward to this month?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor
Posts: 765
Registered: ‎11-25-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!


@just bee wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

I've been feeling lately that the "right" amount of stuff to own--different for everyone--is the amount you can live with and use and not have it constantly getting disorganized. Maybe you all already know that, and I'm just arriving late to the party!

 

But it seems to me that there are things I can sort out, purge and organize one year, only to need to do it again the next year. Or more often. And the worst part is when I tackle it--again--and realize I've sort of forgotten what I had, or how I had it organized before. This happens for me more often than I would like with papers, books, toiletires, occasionally clothes, and sometimes even pantry food. At a certain point after organizing it, it turns into a blur in my mind, and once that happens, it's just clutter until I reorganize it again.

 

So what defines the point at which it changes from a known set of stuff (whatever kind of stuff it is), into a mysterious set of undifferentiated sludge? I think it is when I add something to it without stopping and taking the time to integrate it with the rest. The new paperwork that gets tossed into a file, but not really filed. The new eyeliner that gets opened without going through the other eyeliners. "It's not really messy," I tell myself, "I'll do it later. But later is too late, because the problem isn't that the item I added is messy, but that it immediately turns that whole category of stuff into a mindless mess. Or rather, and out-of-mindfullness mess! 

 

I'm really just thinking out loud here. Making sense to anyone?


Perfect sense!  This will resonate with ComPacters because this is precisely what we live with every day.


KaySD, we totally understand and relate to what you are saying.  Welcome!

Valued Contributor
Posts: 765
Registered: ‎11-25-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!


@just bee wrote:

Fall FUN

 

 

It's a new month and it's about time!  As soon as I detect autumn, I start feeling better about everything.  Something's in the air: A new season's just around the corner and it's an opportunity for fun!

 

Anyone else excited about the change in seasons and the opportunity to change our diets, our wardrobes, our habits, our attitudes?  It's time for a tune-up!

 

I want to eat soup and wear sweaters and sweats and jackets.  I want to chop off my hair and go hiking and explore.

 

What are you looking forward to this month?


I am so looking forward to the end of summer.  We just dodged 2 potential hurricanes, Madeline & Lester (well, Lester might still bring heavy rains, my poor roof!).  But I'm very grateful that we have been spared.  Praying for the East Coast that Hermine will be stopped in her tracks.  Just a few more months and hurricane season will be over.  And then we will start to feel some cooler weather over here.

 

I switched out my summer makeup capsule items for fall items.  That always gets me excited.  It's like I get to use new things even though they aren't newly purchased.  I love the fall color palette too, more mauves & rosy tones.  I am working on using up the last few face base products so that i can just go with concealer where needed.  Hopefully by the end of the year.

 

Stay safe everyone and enjoy the long weekend!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,614
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!


@just bee wrote:

Fall FUN

 

 

It's a new month and it's about time!  As soon as I detect autumn, I start feeling better about everything.  Something's in the air: A new season's just around the corner and it's an opportunity for fun!

 

Anyone else excited about the change in seasons and the opportunity to change our diets, our wardrobes, our habits, our attitudes?  It's time for a tune-up!

 

I want to eat soup and wear sweaters and sweats and jackets.  I want to chop off my hair and go hiking and explore.

 

What are you looking forward to this month?


Oh my.  All of that sounds wonderful to me.  Could you write a permission slip to my old geezer so that he would let me chop off my hair too?

 

I'm looking forward to COOLER weather, although I probably will have to wait until next month for that.  And I'm looking forward to not having to watch for the UPS truck!