Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!

@dosey wrote:

It is always fun to come to this thread and read everyone's posts!  It is a bright spot in my day.

Well, DD and I did not go to the craft fair because the line was too long.  It was out the door, and DD did not want to wait 40 minutes.  I was really disappointed.  It is getting very hard to find things for us to do together at her crazy, hormonal age of 14 years. Smiley Sad

I finally finished the CeraVe eye cream and just started using Isomers Eye Duo.  Tonight, I took pictures of my eyes.  When I finish Isomers, I will take pictures and compare the results.  My own little before and after test.

Ulta's 21 days of beauty opened the floodgate.  Isomers has not had a great price on a C kit in a long time, so I ordered Timeless 20% C + E + Ferulic Acid Serum on Amazon for $17.  Angie on Hotandflashy recommends it.  Isomers has a similar serum, but it is $49.  I do not have a C serum in my arsenal and had good results when I used Isomers C Kit, so I thought I would give the serum a try.  Also, I have been wanting to try Eve Pearl's foundation, so I ordered the TSV.  It is an outrageously good value.  I even ordered it on auto-delivery in case I love the products.  The AD is for only a year.

That is going to have to hold me for a while.  No more beauty spending unless it is to replace an empty.

My gosh!  It is nearly midnight.  Time for some ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's.

Better get some sleep or else your eyes will have a full set of Samsonite under them.  No amount of eye cream can fix that!

Look at it this way: Summer is officially over.  Time to begin again.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

how do you know when it's time to give up your makeup auto deliverys you like???

Honored Contributor

@MeadowLark wrote:

how do you know when it's time to give up your makeup auto deliverys you like???

Fabulous question!  I imagine the answer will be different for everyone, so I'll speak for myself here.

For me, my auto-deliveries were coming to the house and piling up.  I felt that I was spending far too much time and energy pushing back deliveries as far as I possibly could.  Which, of course, made me think.  Why am I buying all these products that I'm obviously not using in a timely manner?

Then September 11, 2001 happened.  I'd worked in high tech for 13 years and suddenly I wasn't.  Having no income often makes some decisions easier.  I canceled all my auto-deliveries.  Priorities, priorities.

Strangely, years after the items stopped shipping, I still had unused, expired items in my closets and drawers.  Which, of course, made me think.  Why did I feel I needed to have all these items sent to me in the first place?

Answer: They were such bargains!

Uh, not if they ended up in the garbage.  Which they did.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

New Mexico color

Green chile roasting

Fall color

Zozobra

Balloon Fiesta!

Happy autumn from New Mexico!

Frequent Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@MeadowLark wrote:

Fabulous question!  I imagine the answer will be different for everyone, so I'll speak for myself here.

For me, my auto-deliveries were coming to the house and piling up.  I felt that I was spending far too much time and energy pushing back deliveries as far as I possibly could.  Which, of course, made me think.  Why am I buying all these products that I'm obviously not using in a timely manner?

Then September 11, 2001 happened.  I'd worked in high tech for 13 years and suddenly I wasn't.  Having no income often makes some decisions easier.  I canceled all my auto-deliveries.  Priorities, priorities.

Strangely, years after the items stopped shipping, I still had unused, expired items in my closets and drawers.  Which, of course, made me think.  Why did I feel I needed to have all these items sent to me in the first place?

Thank you! Now I have to make an important decision and let go of these auto ships which causing money problems cause have convinced myself I needed😃

Honored Contributor

@MeadowLark wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@MeadowLark wrote:

Thank you! Now I have to make an important decision and let go of these auto ships which causing money problems cause have convinced myself I needed😃

There you go--that's the first step! 👍🏻

And welcome, by the way!  👋

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I don't want to sign out on that nihilistic note, so let me share a little story.  I took the world's greatest dog for a walk yesterday and we met his younger, puppy self.

Ever have one of those fortuitous, serendipitous events that make you think that someone really does have some control of the universe?

We met a young man who had just rescued a dog from our local no-kill shelter.  This dog was a younger, smaller, puppy version of my boy.  

This guy had just adopted her on Friday, yet they seemed to have been together forever.  I told him to go home and Google "Australian kelpie" immediately because that was precisely what he now had.  I told him all about my kelpie and what he could expect, and he confirmed that everything I was saying was so.  I was wearing an old T-shirt and he thought it was odd that one of the words on the shirt was what he was thinking of naming his new puppy.  And he couldn't get over how our meeting came at the perfect time.  Naturally, I suggested the name "Kismet," instead.

I hope we run into them again.  Those chance meetings restore my faith in humanity.

One of those times that makes you go, "Hmm."  You two could start the AlbeKurque Kelpie Klub.

And how is the world's greatest dog?

It's like someone flipped a switch.  He's suddenly a mature dog.  His breath is not quite as sweet as it once was, his lips are surrounded by white fluff.  He's had a limp that would have subsided after a day or two for a couple weeks now.  Today he's going to see his vet just to make sure nothing nefarious is going on.  We've cut back on his activity and normally he would pout and insist on an outing.  Now he just figures he'll be part of the slug pack and he's content to sack out.

It's not fair.  Today is officially the first day of autumn and he should be able to get out and about in the cooler weather.

Puppyhood is one big headache, but enjoy it while it lasts.  When I start getting wistful, I tune into the Great Dane Service Dog nursery cam.

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/service-dog-project-nursery-cam

There is nothing like a Dane.  But a few minutes with these pups -- all named after authors -- makes me appreciate a grown-up.  Even if his breath is a little funky.  (I know he's thinking the same thing about me, but he's much too polite to say anything.)

Yes, I vividly remember that time period.  The good time.  After the puppy crazies and before the "trips to the vet with a lump in your throat" time.  A few white hairs grown in where there were none before muzzle. I do so love that, don't you?  When I think back on all my dogs that have passed, that's the time I remember.  The old geezer remembers them as puppies.  I love their smell when they get older.  Not the sick smell of old age, but that smell of comfort.  All my dogs have had it.  I think that's what I want a dog for. For that smell of comfort.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I don't want to sign out on that nihilistic note, so let me share a little story.  I took the world's greatest dog for a walk yesterday and we met his younger, puppy self.

Ever have one of those fortuitous, serendipitous events that make you think that someone really does have some control of the universe?

We met a young man who had just rescued a dog from our local no-kill shelter.  This dog was a younger, smaller, puppy version of my boy.  

This guy had just adopted her on Friday, yet they seemed to have been together forever.  I told him to go home and Google "Australian kelpie" immediately because that was precisely what he now had.  I told him all about my kelpie and what he could expect, and he confirmed that everything I was saying was so.  I was wearing an old T-shirt and he thought it was odd that one of the words on the shirt was what he was thinking of naming his new puppy.  And he couldn't get over how our meeting came at the perfect time.  Naturally, I suggested the name "Kismet," instead.

I hope we run into them again.  Those chance meetings restore my faith in humanity.

One of those times that makes you go, "Hmm."  You two could start the AlbeKurque Kelpie Klub.

And how is the world's greatest dog?

It's like someone flipped a switch.  He's suddenly a mature dog.  His breath is not quite as sweet as it once was, his lips are surrounded by white fluff.  He's had a limp that would have subsided after a day or two for a couple weeks now.  Today he's going to see his vet just to make sure nothing nefarious is going on.  We've cut back on his activity and normally he would pout and insist on an outing.  Now he just figures he'll be part of the slug pack and he's content to sack out.

It's not fair.  Today is officially the first day of autumn and he should be able to get out and about in the cooler weather.

Puppyhood is one big headache, but enjoy it while it lasts.  When I start getting wistful, I tune into the Great Dane Service Dog nursery cam.

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/service-dog-project-nursery-cam

There is nothing like a Dane.  But a few minutes with these pups -- all named after authors -- makes me appreciate a grown-up.  Even if his breath is a little funky.  (I know he's thinking the same thing about me, but he's much too polite to say anything.)

Yes, I vividly remember that time period.  The good time.  After the puppy crazies and before the "trips to the vet with a lump in your throat" time.  A few white hairs grown in where there were none before muzzle. I do so love that, don't you?  When I think back on all my dogs that have passed, that's the time I remember.  The old geezer remembers them as puppies.  I love their smell when they get older.  Not the sick smell of old age, but that smell of comfort.  All my dogs have had it.  I think that's what I want a dog for. For that smell of comfort.

And that's why we bury our faces in our dogs' coats.  When I get home in the morning I set my work bag on the counter, take off my badge, empty my scrubs pockets, take off my sweatshirt and then I bend over and wrap my arms around him and bury my face in all that is good and sweet and pure.

And he is kind enough to put up with it.

Honored Contributor

@MeadowLark wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@MeadowLark wrote:

There's a balance.  There are things we need and there are things we want.  Most times we deal with items we think we need.

When I buy something, that item is auditioning.  If I like it, it gets a callback.  But a product has to earn a part in my life.  On another post, the OP asks about the five or ten items we keep purchasing.  Coming up with ten was a challenge.

1. Maybelline's washable Full 'N Soft mascara
  2. Maybelline's Expert Eyes Twin Brow & Eye Pencils (the retro red duo)
  3. Paula's Choice facial cleanser
  4. Lumene's CC cream
  5. Huggies Natural Care Plus baby wipes
  6. EcoTools Konjac Pure Complexion Facial sponge
  7. philosophy's pure grace spritz
  8. lip balm
  9. Amstel light lager
  10. Skippy peanut butter
Honored Contributor

Well...

My new spectacles are ready for pick-up.  When I can muster the energy I'll get dressed and head down there.  I've already warned the dog.