Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I am so glad it is the weekend. It has been rough lately for sure. 

Yeah, what's up with September?  Usually the month starts off with less stress at work, but this month started bad and is getting worse.  Hostile, irritable, nasty antisocials.  And I'm not just talking about the patients.

Eek, Just Bee.  Not fun. Sounds like they need a little sugar.

Respected Contributor

@dosey wrote:

I'm back.  It appears that the cap has been designed to be long enough to hold the shavings.  Also, the eyeliner is somewhat soft, so I think the shavings will stick to the cap.  Every now and then, I will tap the cap on the counter to see if anything comes out.  Mystery solved.  I'll bet you were on the edge of your seats waiting for the outcome.

Lol.  The mysteries of our mu. 

Honored Contributor

Dosey, I'm so glad you solved the shavings mystery.  I barely could sleep all night wondering about the whereabouts of those little guys!!🤔😄

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

I'm back.  It appears that the cap has been designed to be long enough to hold the shavings.  Also, the eyeliner is somewhat soft, so I think the shavings will stick to the cap.  Every now and then, I will tap the cap on the counter to see if anything comes out.  Mystery solved.  I'll bet you were on the edge of your seats waiting for the outcome.

I know I was! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Yeah, what's up with September?  Usually the month starts off with less stress at work, but this month started bad and is getting worse.  Hostile, irritable, nasty antisocials.  And I'm not just talking about the patients.

It's a hospital.  My coworkers get more than enough sugar -- and caffeine.  What they need is a major attitude adjustment.

Everyone's quitting and October is going to be rough because we're so short on staff.  My vacation (thought I'd take my birthday off) will probably be canceled.  I drove home from work on Friday and couldn't help think that this would be the perfect time to resign.  Yesterday I composed a resignation letter.  (I like to have one on hand just in case I have one of those days in which the universe is telling me: "Yup.  Today's the day.")

But then I told myself that I would never be able to abandon the job -- especially when they were so short-staffed.  That could mean I still care too much to leave.  Or it means I'm a chump.

Either way, I'm probably not going to give it to anyone because events took a bad turn yesterday and that makes my job issues seem insignificant.  Not only are things blowing up, but the neighbors rang our doorbell in the middle of the night to ask if we'd noticed anyone stealing their truck out of the driveway.

Talk about a sinking feeling.  But when I was out feeding the wildlife in the yard this morning I noticed the truck was back in their driveway.  Unfortunately, from what I could make out, the left front end is mangled.

Crime is getting worse and getting closer to home.  One story that has appeared in national news, but only to a very minor degree (thankfully), has been weighing heavily on me.  A little girl was murdered not far from my neighborhood and the details of the story are so horrific that we're going to feel the after-effects for some time.  I do like the work I do, but where I work gives me the inside scoop on our community's dark side.  People always shrug and say it's that way everywhere.

If that's true, we're doomed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I don't want to sign out on that nihilistic note, so let me share a little story.  I took the world's greatest dog for a walk yesterday and we met his younger, puppy self.

Ever have one of those fortuitous, serendipitous events that make you think that someone really does have some control of the universe?

We met a young man who had just rescued a dog from our local no-kill shelter.  This dog was a younger, smaller, puppy version of my boy.  

This guy had just adopted her on Friday, yet they seemed to have been together forever.  I told him to go home and Google "Australian kelpie" immediately because that was precisely what he now had.  I told him all about my kelpie and what he could expect, and he confirmed that everything I was saying was so.  I was wearing an old T-shirt and he thought it was odd that one of the words on the shirt was what he was thinking of naming his new puppy.  And he couldn't get over how our meeting came at the perfect time.  Naturally, I suggested the name "Kismet," instead.

I hope we run into them again.  Those chance meetings restore my faith in humanity.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Bee--those are adorable!  Surely you'd wear them a lot.  I say go for it!  It's a holiday.  Celebrate your labor and get them!

Great minds think alike.  I was using that very same rationalization.  I've been working overtime and deserve some kind of reward.

I'm impressed that I didn't order that other shoe, but then I've passed on plenty of designs I thought I had to have.  I could further rationalize this by telling myself that one of my pairs of red clogs is starting to show wear.  Notice I said one of my pairs of red clogs.

I need to analyze this fondness for red shoes.  It's gotta be related to either The Wizard of Oz or the Hans Christian Andersen story.  Which was pretty creepy, by the way.  Still a favorite, though.

Actually, I had a similar pair of red shoes when I was little and they bled on every pair of white socks I had. 

I need to mull this over...

I had some that did that too.  And that has been my rationalization for not getting one of Dooney's gorgeous suede bags this season.  The black would go so well with my black suede Birkenstocks.  Which, by the way, bleed black all over my socks...

More mindlessness.  I went to a university where it was mandatory to wear Birkenstocks and body hair.  I shaved and did not own Birkenstocks.  Fast forward a few decades and I was ordering them from QVC because they were the only shoes that didn't aggravate my blown-out knee.  I even have two red pairs.

And I can't remember the last time I wore them.  Another summer is ending and it's another summer that I didn't pull out the sandals or the ballet flats.

Mindless.

I am with you on the shoes.. last Oct did a huge purge.  but of course we never purge everything.  this summer started it out with foot issues , so only wearing ones i can put inserts in.  Or have a lot of cushion.  So then why have i not gotten rid of the ones I cant wear?????

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

It's a hospital.  My coworkers get more than enough sugar -- and caffeine.  What they need is a major attitude adjustment.

Everyone's quitting and October is going to be rough because we're so short on staff.  My vacation (thought I'd take my birthday off) will probably be canceled.  I drove home from work on Friday and couldn't help think that this would be the perfect time to resign.  Yesterday I composed a resignation letter.  (I like to have one on hand just in case I have one of those days in which the universe is telling me: "Yup.  Today's the day.")

But then I told myself that I would never be able to abandon the job -- especially when they were so short-staffed.  That could mean I still care too much to leave.  Or it means I'm a chump.

Either way, I'm probably not going to give it to anyone because events took a bad turn yesterday and that makes my job issues seem insignificant.  Not only are things blowing up, but the neighbors rang our doorbell in the middle of the night to ask if we'd noticed anyone stealing their truck out of the driveway.

Talk about a sinking feeling.  But when I was out feeding the wildlife in the yard this morning I noticed the truck was back in their driveway.  Unfortunately, from what I could make out, the left front end is mangled.

Crime is getting worse and getting closer to home.  One story that has appeared in national news, but only to a very minor degree (thankfully), has been weighing heavily on me.  A little girl was murdered not far from my neighborhood and the details of the story are so horrific that we're going to feel the after-effects for some time.  I do like the work I do, but where I work gives me the inside scoop on our community's dark side.  People always shrug and say it's that way everywhere.

If that's true, we're doomed.

This is just one of the reasons I haven't dried out from the humidity in ten years.  That, and the fact that we could no longer draw a breath of fresh air out there.  Unfortunately, both of those situations are now hitting closer to this place now, too.  And there's no shopping here so I'm forever tempted by the evil internet.  We are doomed.  At least I am.

Honored Contributor

@CoastalGal wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Bee--those are adorable!  Surely you'd wear them a lot.  I say go for it!  It's a holiday.  Celebrate your labor and get them!

Great minds think alike.  I was using that very same rationalization.  I've been working overtime and deserve some kind of reward.

I'm impressed that I didn't order that other shoe, but then I've passed on plenty of designs I thought I had to have.  I could further rationalize this by telling myself that one of my pairs of red clogs is starting to show wear.  Notice I said one of my pairs of red clogs.

I need to analyze this fondness for red shoes.  It's gotta be related to either The Wizard of Oz or the Hans Christian Andersen story.  Which was pretty creepy, by the way.  Still a favorite, though.

Actually, I had a similar pair of red shoes when I was little and they bled on every pair of white socks I had. 

I need to mull this over...

I had some that did that too.  And that has been my rationalization for not getting one of Dooney's gorgeous suede bags this season.  The black would go so well with my black suede Birkenstocks.  Which, by the way, bleed black all over my socks...

More mindlessness.  I went to a university where it was mandatory to wear Birkenstocks and body hair.  I shaved and did not own Birkenstocks.  Fast forward a few decades and I was ordering them from QVC because they were the only shoes that didn't aggravate my blown-out knee.  I even have two red pairs.

And I can't remember the last time I wore them.  Another summer is ending and it's another summer that I didn't pull out the sandals or the ballet flats.

Mindless.

I am with you on the shoes.. last Oct did a huge purge.  but of course we never purge everything.  this summer started it out with foot issues , so only wearing ones i can put inserts in.  Or have a lot of cushion.  So then why have i not gotten rid of the ones I cant wear?????

Ah-ha!  These are precisely the kinds of questions we wrestle with here.  You've come to the right place!

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Maybe they've had too much.🍬🍰🍦🍡🍧🍭🍫🍩🍪🤒