Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!

@geezerette wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

Thanks, @geezerette@just beeand others. I appreciate your responses to my musings. I certainly agree. And like everything else, there isn't one "right" answer to such questions, so no judgment about the answers--it's totally about the awareness we bring to the questions! 

What do you think of my idea about why things get mindless? What's your idea about how that happens? 

Okay, I just spent fifteen minutes writing out a deep and philosophical response to this and then deleted it.  Nobody is in that kind of a mood when they come in here.

So, I'll tell you for me it probably boils down to one main thing: laziness.  Pure and simple.

Great minds again.  It's laziness.  But why is it laziness?  I'm not lazy or disorganized at work.  I pick trash off the streets and organize shopping carts in the parking lot and canned goods on store shelves.  But when I get home it's a different story.  It would take five minutes to address the pile of junk mail on the counter but I let it sit until it becomes a stack.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Bee--those are adorable!  Surely you'd wear them a lot.  I say go for it!  It's a holiday.  Celebrate your labor and get them!

Great minds think alike.  I was using that very same rationalization.  I've been working overtime and deserve some kind of reward.

I'm impressed that I didn't order that other shoe, but then I've passed on plenty of designs I thought I had to have.  I could further rationalize this by telling myself that one of my pairs of red clogs is starting to show wear.  Notice I said one of my pairs of red clogs.

I need to analyze this fondness for red shoes.  It's gotta be related to either The Wizard of Oz or the Hans Christian Andersen story.  Which was pretty creepy, by the way.  Still a favorite, though.

Actually, I had a similar pair of red shoes when I was little and they bled on every pair of white socks I had. 

I need to mull this over...

I had some that did that too.  And that has been my rationalization for not getting one of Dooney's gorgeous suede bags this season.  The black would go so well with my black suede Birkenstocks.  Which, by the way, bleed black all over my socks...

More mindlessness.  I went to a university where it was mandatory to wear Birkenstocks and body hair.  I shaved and did not own Birkenstocks.  Fast forward a few decades and I was ordering them from QVC because they were the only shoes that didn't aggravate my blown-out knee.  I even have two red pairs.

And I can't remember the last time I wore them.  Another summer is ending and it's another summer that I didn't pull out the sandals or the ballet flats.

Mindless.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

Thanks, @geezerette@just beeand others. I appreciate your responses to my musings. I certainly agree. And like everything else, there isn't one "right" answer to such questions, so no judgment about the answers--it's totally about the awareness we bring to the questionables! 

What do you think of my idea about why things get mindless? What's your idea about how that happens? 

Okay, I just spent fifteen minutes writing out a deep and philosophical response to this and then deleted it.  Nobody is in that kind of a mood when they come in here.

So, I'll tell you for me it probably boils down to one main thing: laziness.  Pure and simple.

Great minds again.  It's laziness.  But why is it laziness?  I'm not lazy or disorganized at work.  I pick trash off the streets and organize shopping carts in the parking lot and canned goods on store shelves.  But when I get home it's a different story.  It would take five minutes to address the pile of junk mail on the counter but I let it sit until it becomes a stack.

Because you have to be organized at work.  I can't say that I pick up trash or organize store cans, but I do put away shopping carts--mostly so they don't hit my car--strictly self-preservation.  I used to be very organized at work.  And I used to be very organized at home.  I grew up organized.  My mother organized everything and everybody.  So I suppose I rebelled against that as I aged.  That, and I just got old and tired.  

I think that's got a lot to do with it.  Our lives are so busy and complicated nowadays, well, other people's lives, not mine, that when you are in your own home--your sanctuary--you just want to be mindless, literally.  Where else can you just veg out?

That's why I find the idea of not bringing any type of excess clutter into my home, be it clothes I don't need or bad thoughts, so compelling.  If I don't have any excess to deal with, it's just that much less energy I have to put out.  The problem with that is that it does require a certain amount of energy to think ahead of time to not automatically give in to the societal temptation of "more is more".

So any way you look at it, you have to be organized.  Darn.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

Thanks, @geezerette@just beeand others. I appreciate your responses to my musings. I certainly agree. And like everything else, there isn't one "right" answer to such questions, so no judgment about the answers--it's totally about the awareness we bring to the questionables! 

Because you have to be organized at work.  I can't say that I pick up trash or organize store cans, but I do put away shopping carts--mostly so they don't hit my car--strictly self-preservation.  I used to be very organized at work.  And I used to be very organized at home.  I grew up organized.  My mother organized everything and everybody.  So I suppose I rebelled against that as I aged.  That, and I just got old and tired.  

I think that's got a lot to do with it.  Our lives are so busy and complicated nowadays, well, other people's lives, not mine, that when you are in your own home--your sanctuary--you just want to be mindless, literally.  Where else can you just veg out?

That's why I find the idea of not bringing any type of excess clutter into my home, be it clothes I don't need or bad thoughts, so compelling.  If I don't have any excess to deal with, it's just that much less energy I have to put out.  The problem with that is that it does require a certain amount of energy to think ahead of time to not automatically give in to the societal temptation of "more is more".

What about the people who are OCD at home -- organized and tidy -- but are slobs in public?  The ones who drop used paper towels on the restroom floor and don't pick them up?  The ones who don't pick up after their dogs?  The ones who are too lazy and inconsiderate to walk back to the meat section to return that sirloin they don't want and simply place it on a box of Tide on their way to the check-out line?  The ones who...

I got a million of these.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

What about the people who are OCD at home -- organized and tidy -- but are slobs in public?  The ones who drop used paper towels on the restroom floor and don't pick them up?  The ones who don't pick up after their dogs?  The ones who are too lazy and inconsiderate to walk back to the meat section to return that sirloin they don't want and simply place it on a box of Tide on their way to the check-out line?  The ones who...

I got a million of these.

Oh, those. They're just inconsiderate a$#%*!@s

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I am so looking forward to the end of summer.  We just dodged 2 potential hurricanes, Madeline & Lester (well, Lester might still bring heavy rains, my poor roof!).  But I'm very grateful that we have been spared.  Praying for the East Coast that Hermine will be stopped in her tracks.  Just a few more months and hurricane season will be over.  And then we will start to feel some cooler weather over here.

I switched out my summer makeup capsule items for fall items.  That always gets me excited.  It's like I get to use new things even though they aren't newly purchased.  I love the fall color palette too, more mauves & rosy tones.  I am working on using up the last few face base products so that i can just go with concealer where needed.  Hopefully by the end of the year.

Stay safe everyone and enjoy the long weekend!

Glad to hear the Hurricanes missed you. So scary. 

Thank you for mentioning no more face base products for you. I was considering buying a balance n brighten from Ultas sale this month because it is one of my favorite ones when the colors in it are right, but I already have 3 other powder foundations to use up and I too would like to get down to having no face base products. I don't need them and think sometimes it is just the ritual of putting them on I like. You saved my no buy. Lol

I stopped wearing mu mid-summer and have to get back to my use up plan.  I was doing so good.  

Thanks, @aprilskies!  Today is a beautiful day, not a trace of bad weather left.  DH and I took a long walk since our kids are at their various activities.  Not a bad start to the holiday.  Walking in the mornings feels so much more pleasant and productive.  Hopefully we can keep the productive, yet relaxed momentum going today.  I always feel like I have to get something done on a holiday, but am torn since I know I have to go back to work tomorrow and I just want to chill out while I can.  I'll just do something easy like one load of laundry so I can chill out in between the cycles.  And I'll cut the honey kiss melon in the fridge.  That should take care of HEP for today.  If cold, sweet melon is waiting for everyone, maybe they will forget about the bag of chips from Grandpa...

Anyway, about omitting face base products.  I've been trying to cope with my aging skin.  It's relatively smooth since I've been using Renova for at least 3 years, but it really has started to get dry.  I used to be oily but it seems like all of a sudden it's changed.  The things I used to use on my face haven't been working out.  At the end of the day I look flaky and cakey.  So I'm going to try to go with only a hydrating concealer on the spots that need it (undereyes, around the nose, on the chin, which is ironic since those were my oily areas before).  But I have a couple of almost finished products to use up.  I'm debating if I should just toss them...  Ugh, but the waste!  But the cake-face if I continue to use them!  Do I really want to subject myself to 4 more months of this?

As a happy medium, I tried out my plan this weekend.  Only concealer where needed, eyebrows, mascara, a touch of blush and a bright lip.  The response wasn't earth-shattering.  In fact, there was no response.  Maybe I should just do it....

So @aprilskies, I can totally relate to applying products as part of the morning ritual.  After all these years of doing it, it's almost automatic.  But I've been trying to be more mindful of why I'm doing things and do I really need it.  I broke the eyeliner ritual this year after going without it during my summer makeup capsule.  I realized that wearing mascara was enough and I didn't need the eyeliner.  I'll wear it when I really want to dress up, but DH has told me that I look younger without it.  So how can I continue to use it with an observation like that?

I'm also considering my use-up plans for my eyeshadows.  Going without it this weekend was kinda nice.  I still have way too many palettes but I'm thinking that maybe I will make some adjustments to my pan-that-palette.  I'm not sure what that is yet...  I'm still working on the same eyeshadow quad and am close to finishing one of the shadows.  But I'm pretty sure that I won't finish the entire quad.  It's been an eye-opening experience. When I first started, I thought for sure I would be done with it by June since it was only 4 shades.  Here we are in Sept and yes, I hit pan on all 4 shades but are no where near finishing all of them.  Sigh, satisfying but not. 

Trusted Contributor

Awww....@geezerette, I would have liked the philosophical musings! Maybe it's laziness, maybe it's poor impulse control..on the other hand, bah, humbug! I definitively refuse to make up a story about me being bad or wrong! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Awww....@geezerette, I would have liked the philosophical musings! Maybe it's laziness, maybe it's poor impulse control..on the other hand, bah, humbug! I definitively refuse to make up a story about me being bad or wrong! Smiley Wink

Well, that's my laziness I was talking about!😉

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette, I bet you aren't any more lazy than I am! But your point is a good one. Smiley Happy

I do wish I could get to the bottom of what makes me decide in the moment not to deal with small things, knowing full well that it will get bigger and I won't like it. Call it lazyness, slobbiness, negligence, whatever--but those labels don't really explain anything--so what's really going on? Still scratching my poor little head...

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Thanks, @aprilskies!  Today is a beautiful day, not a trace of bad weather left.  DH and I took a long walk since our kids are at their various activities.  Not a bad start to the holiday.  Walking in the mornings feels so much more pleasant and productive.  Hopefully we can keep the productive, yet relaxed momentum going today.  I always feel like I have to get something done on a holiday, but am torn since I know I have to go back to work tomorrow and I just want to chill out while I can.  I'll just do something easy like one load of laundry so I can chill out in between the cycles.  And I'll cut the honey kiss melon in the fridge.  That should take care of HEP for today.  If cold, sweet melon is waiting for everyone, maybe they will forget about the bag of chips from Grandpa...

Anyway, about omitting face base products.  I've been trying to cope with my aging skin.  It's relatively smooth since I've been using Renova for at least 3 years, but it really has started to get dry.  I used to be oily but it seems like all of a sudden it's changed.  The things I used to use on my face haven't been working out.  At the end of the day I look flaky and cakey.  So I'm going to try to go with only a hydrating concealer on the spots that need it (undereyes, around the nose, on the chin, which is ironic since those were my oily areas before).  But I have a couple of almost finished products to use up.  I'm debating if I should just toss them...  Ugh, but the waste!  But the cake-face if I continue to use them!  Do I really want to subject myself to 4 more months of this?

As a happy medium, I tried out my plan this weekend.  Only concealer where needed, eyebrows, mascara, a touch of blush and a bright lip.  The response wasn't earth-shattering.  In fact, there was no response.  Maybe I should just do it....

So @aprilskies, I can totally relate to applying products as part of the morning ritual.  After all these years of doing it, it's almost automatic.  But I've been trying to be more mindful of why I'm doing things and do I really need it.  I broke the eyeliner ritual this year after going without it during my summer makeup capsule.  I realized that wearing mascara was enough and I didn't need the eyeliner.  I'll wear it when I really want to dress up, but DH has told me that I look younger without it.  So how can I continue to use it with an observation like that?

I'm also considering my use-up plans for my eyeshadows.  Going without it this weekend was kinda nice.  I still have way too many palettes but I'm thinking that maybe I will make some adjustments to my pan-that-palette.  I'm not sure what that is yet...  I'm still working on the same eyeshadow quad and am close to finishing one of the shadows.  But I'm pretty sure that I won't finish the entire quad.  It's been an eye-opening experience. When I first started, I thought for sure I would be done with it by June since it was only 4 shades.  Here we are in Sept and yes, I hit pan on all 4 shades but are no where near finishing all of them.  Sigh, satisfying but not. 

@Oshare-girl, walks in the morning in Hawaii sound just glorious. LOL.  I would love it. I am going to try and incorporate a walk in the morning now since it is Fall.  I am working on improving my sleep so the mornings aren't such a drag.  It is usually a choice of an additional hour of sleep or exercise.  Sleep wins out. I am having such sleep issues. 

It isn't fun when our skin changes. If they are still good, maybe put them to the side and see if you can use them in a few months.  But I know with liquid products, that isn't always feasible.  I have one liquid foundation that is over a year old. I started using it as an undereye concealor. I will never finish it that way, but at least I am getting some use out of it. 

Makeup to me is a funny thing. I do love to put it on but, on most days, I dont feel I look particularly good at the end of the day. Either my foundation(powder) is wearing off a bit or my eyeliner is smudging, etc. So, most of the time, I think I look better without it. LOL. Even eyeshadow, must be my eyes, but as much as I love it, I never feel it applies quite right regardless of the brand. 

Eyeliner, yes, I am starting to agree about eyeliner.  I love it, but I am starting to feel it looks harsh regardless of the color.  When I start to wear mu again, I will try it on the upper waterline and see if that makes a difference. I have so many of them.  Another reason not to stockpile,  besides skin changing, our taste change as well.  ...and if hubby tells you you look better without it, well there you go. Smiley Happy

As far as panning eyeshadow palettes, I am abandoning that notion.  My new mu use up plan is foundations, bronzers, etc.  Eyeshadow, I just have too much of and even my newer palettes have been sitting there collecting dust. I am just not consistent with mu so feel panning the shadows does not work for me. I think what I will do is two week windows.  This way I am cycling through them.  I think I would feel good if I just get some good use out of each one.  There is no way that I would finish all of the eyeshadow in this lifetime. Plus the fact, regardless of the palette and colors, they all look the same to me.  How can that be?

Yes, LOL, hitting pan is so satisfying but when you realize how much longer it takes to use up one whole shadow, it is a downer.  The funny part is, it is good they last so long.  It is only a downer because we have so much and want to get through some of it.

As far as using products as needed, it occurred to me the other day that I am just slathering lotions on out of habit and simply just trying to use things up. However, I never seem to get to the end. It is tiring.  So, as far as body lotion, I am just putting it on where I need it instead of all over. I am doing this with other products as well.  I know I will have a tremendous amount of waste because some things will go bad, but I am allowing myself one last time to go through this craziness.  It is a waste of money, energy and time.  It is fun collecting this stuff, but when you actually have to use it all, it is eye opening.

That is why as hard as these no buys are, I am determined to stick to them for the time being. I am one week into my second no buy and it is going well.