Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- SEPTEMBER!

@just bee wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

I've been feeling lately that the "right" amount of stuff to own--different for everyone--is the amount you can live with and use and not have it constantly getting disorganized. Maybe you all already know that, and I'm just arriving late to the party!

But it seems to me that there are things I can sort out, purge and organize one year, only to need to do it again the next year. Or more often. And the worst part is when I tackle it--again--and realize I've sort of forgotten what I had, or how I had it organized before. This happens for me more often than I would like with papers, books, toiletires, occasionally clothes, and sometimes even pantry food. At a certain point after organizing it, it turns into a blur in my mind, and once that happens, it's just clutter until I reorganize it again.

So what defines the point at which it changes from a known set of stuff (whatever kind of stuff it is), into a mysterious set of undifferentiated sludge? I think it is when I add something to it without stopping and taking the time to integrate it with the rest. The new paperwork that gets tossed into a file, but not really filed. The new eyeliner that gets opened without going through the other eyeliners. "It's not really messy," I tell myself, "I'll do it later. But later is too late, because the problem isn't that the item I added is messy, but that it immediately turns that whole category of stuff into a mindless mess. Or rather, and out-of-mindfullness mess! 

I'm really just thinking out loud here. Making sense to anyone?

Perfect sense!  This will resonate with ComPacters because this is precisely what we live with every day.

Yep, it does make sense.  It's not about the quantity of things you have, but the quality they bring to your life.  For example, many people have collections of various things, and collections usually mean lots of 'whatevers'.  Somebody can have a collection of 'whatevers' that they love spending hours on end caring for.  Whereas, I can have two 'whatevers' that drive me batty to have to care for.

I like you already, @KaySD !

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, @geezerette@just beeand others. I appreciate your responses to my musings. I certainly agree. And like everything else, there isn't one "right" answer to such questions, so no judgment about the answers--it's totally about the awareness we bring to the questions! 

What do you think of my idea about why things get mindless? What's your idea about how that happens? 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

While I'm not a compact person per se, I have been tackling and decluttering various areas of my home since my daughter has moved out temporarily. I've cleaned out and decluttered her bathroom. tackled a couple of bedroom bookshelves full of books and bookazines and started to declutter a downstairs closet that is used like a bookshelf. I probably donated at least 100 books or so. I figure that I have read them, I won't read them again, and if I want to read a certain book I'll buy a Kindle and download it.

I figure it's one small project at a time. My next project is to shred boxes of paper but it takes up a lot of volume for the trash can so I'm only doing a bag full at a time as that's what can fit into the trash. I'm surprised at how much room a magazine binder's worth of paper takes up when it's shredded.

Yes, I have done the same thing with books and donated probably around the same to my library, even ones I haven't read and don't see reading. If I ever do, I will try the library first. I don't even remember all the titles I donated.  It felt amazing to get rid of all that weight.  I now only have 1 bookcase and my books only take up 3 shelves. ....and they are mostly some of the cookbooks I didn't part with. 

Paper is next for me but I am having a hard time focusing on it. I think it is because I have an office job and the last thing I want to do is look at more paper when I am home.  But, I know this needs to get done soon because it is always on my mind. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I am so looking forward to the end of summer.  We just dodged 2 potential hurricanes, Madeline & Lester (well, Lester might still bring heavy rains, my poor roof!).  But I'm very grateful that we have been spared.  Praying for the East Coast that Hermine will be stopped in her tracks.  Just a few more months and hurricane season will be over.  And then we will start to feel some cooler weather over here.

I switched out my summer makeup capsule items for fall items.  That always gets me excited.  It's like I get to use new things even though they aren't newly purchased.  I love the fall color palette too, more mauves & rosy tones.  I am working on using up the last few face base products so that i can just go with concealer where needed.  Hopefully by the end of the year.

Stay safe everyone and enjoy the long weekend!

Glad to hear the Hurricanes missed you. So scary. 

Thank you for mentioning no more face base products for you. I was considering buying a balance n brighten from Ultas sale this month because it is one of my favorite ones when the colors in it are right, but I already have 3 other powder foundations to use up and I too would like to get down to having no face base products. I don't need them and think sometimes it is just the ritual of putting them on I like. You saved my no buy. Lol

I stopped wearing mu mid-summer and have to get back to my use up plan.  I was doing so good.  

Respected Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Thanks, @geezerette@just beeand others. I appreciate your responses to my musings. I certainly agree. And like everything else, there isn't one "right" answer to such questions, so no judgment about the answers--it's totally about the awareness we bring to the questions! 

What do you think of my idea about why things get mindless? What's your idea about how that happens? 

I am not sure why things get mindless.  I can't figure it out myself especially as I look around and just about everything needs organizing again.  I just had everything looking nice probably last week. And to say I am little sick of organizing is an understatement.  Here is what dawned on me yesterday as I looked around. - I think you have to put everything in its place right away. regardless of what it is and not say later because it is just one thing because it quickly multiples.  I am going to straighten up today and try this theory out because I really do love clean streamlined spaces but I never seem to have them.  

Respected Contributor

What am I looking forward to this fall - nice cool weather, cool breezes, changing of the leaves, cozy sweaters and boots.  Spring and fall are my favorite seasons. 

Esteemed Contributor

@just bee, THANK YOU!  I almost hit "speed buy" on some it foundation yesterday.  But I have two bottles and a tube of foundation already.  You gave me my mantra...not until you really have to.  I needed this inspiration.  We can do this together!!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor

Babo Botanicals is having a sale on their shampoo/wash & conditioner liters. I've been wanting to try their products so.......I placed an online order, and was just about to get my credit card.

Then I checked my inventory. I have 6 cleansing conditoners, 12 conditioners, 8 shampoos, and 28 shower gels/body wash. 

Guess I won't be ordering today after all. Cat Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Fall FUN

It's a new month and it's about time!  As soon as I detect autumn, I start feeling better about everything.  Something's in the air: A new season's just around the corner and it's an opportunity for fun!

Anyone else excited about the change in seasons and the opportunity to change our diets, our wardrobes, our habits, our attitudes?  It's time for a tune-up!

I want to eat soup and wear sweaters and sweats and jackets.  I want to chop off my hair and go hiking and explore.

What are you looking forward to this month?

Oh my.  All of that sounds wonderful to me.  Could you write a permission slip to my old geezer so that he would let me chop off my hair too?

I'm looking forward to COOLER weather, although I probably will have to wait until next month for that.  And I'm looking forward to not having to watch for the UPS truck!

My hair is long enough now where I'm wondering if I should just let it grow until I have enough for one more donation.  But then the thought of living with this mop makes me ill.  I'm out-shedding the dog.  I just want to get up right now and grab a pair of scissors and hack off a few inches.  Do you remember that scene in The English Patient when Juliette Binoche just grabs chunks of hair and cuts?  I saw the film again this morning and had to hold onto the couch. 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

I've been feeling lately that the "right" amount of stuff to own--different for everyone--is the amount you can live with and use and not have it constantly getting disorganized. Maybe you all already know that, and I'm just arriving late to the party!

But it seems to me that there are things I can sort out, purge and organize one year, only to need to do it again the next year. Or more often. And the worst part is when I tackle it--again--and realize I've sort of forgotten what I had, or how I had it organized before. This happens for me more often than I would like with papers, books, toiletires, occasionally clothes, and sometimes even pantry food. At a certain point after organizing it, it turns into a blur in my mind, and once that happens, it's just clutter until I reorganize it again.

So what defines the point at which it changes from a known set of stuff (whatever kind of stuff it is), into a mysterious set of undifferentiated sludge? I think it is when I add something to it without stopping and taking the time to integrate it with the rest. The new paperwork that gets tossed into a file, but not really filed. The new eyeliner that gets opened without going through the other eyeliners. "It's not really messy," I tell myself, "I'll do it later. But later is too late, because the problem isn't that the item I added is messy, but that it immediately turns that whole category of stuff into a mindless mess. Or rather, and out-of-mindfullness mess! 

I'm really just thinking out loud here. Making sense to anyone?

Perfect sense!  This will resonate with ComPacters because this is precisely what we live with every day.

Yep, it does make sense.  It's not about the quantity of things you have, but the quality they bring to your life.  For example, many people have collections of various things, and collections usually mean lots of 'whatevers'.  Somebody can have a collection of 'whatevers' that they love spending hours on end caring for.  Whereas, I can have two 'whatevers' that drive me batty to have to care for.

I like you already, @KaySD !

Aye, but then there are those who collect the whatevers and don't tend them.  So then the question is: Why did you collect these?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~