Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,431
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER

We voted (no lines, no waiting), then picked up adult beverages and edibles.  We're fully stocked in the bunker tonight.

 

If things go south early, I still have the ice cream I bought for my birthday and didn't eat.  And, of course, 108 leftover Halloween chocolate bars.

 

 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,753
Registered: ‎08-16-2016

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER

Okay, @just bee, dish. How many of those bars did you get through? Me, I just kept wanting another glass of wine. Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,431
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER

[ Edited ]

@KaySD wrote:

Okay, @just bee, dish. How many of those bars did you get through? Me, I just kept wanting another glass of wine. Smiley Embarassed


Not a one!  No chocolate, no ice cream, no hard liquor.  I sailed through the evening on greasy tacos, hot salsa and Amstel Light.

 

I think I've fallen off the HEP train.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,431
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER

Whew!!!  It's three in the morning and I just realized my flags are still outside!  I ran out there and they were gone!

 

Then I had a thought: Did Better-half retrieve them before sunset?  Why, yes he did.

 

So relieved.  Once I fell asleep I stayed asleep and missed sunset altogether.

 

Saddened by the story of 38 year-old veteran Richard Lee Anderson who was hospitalized months ago with pneumonia and died.  Months later, his remains unclaimed by family, he was buried and a funeral service was provided, thanks to the Patriot Guard Riders of Texas and business owner Richard Falcon.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Contributor
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎12-15-2011

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER

My son is a 35 year old veteran of the Iraq war. That breaks my heart to hear that, I can't imagine... I haven't heard about this story, I will check into it.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,431
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER


@Sugar Bunny wrote:

My son is a 35 year old veteran of the Iraq war. That breaks my heart to hear that, I can't imagine... I haven't heard about this story, I will check into it.


Many of my psych patients are homeless veterans; it's likely Mr. Anderson was also homeless.  I would provide a link, but I just had a post poofed for doing so.

 

Many thanks to you, your family and your son for your service.Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,053
Registered: ‎11-25-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER

Happy No-vember!  We have returned from the Portland (PNW) and it was lovely.  Crisp air and changing leaves, no sales tax.  HEP and no-buy were ignored during this time, but I walked a lot since we didn't rent a car.  

 

November is a hard time to do a no-buy for me.  It's the time when I stock up on essentials during the various sales.  I did decrease the quantities that I purchased.  I bought 2 body lotions instead of 3, because like @aprilskies, I don't need it ALL over.  I bought travel sizes of the Perricone No Foundation Serum instead of the full size, and a set of travel sized lipsticks.  My one guilty pleasure was the Tartelette Tease eyeshadow palette.  I definitely don't need it but it's tiny which is a departure from my usual mega-size palette that I normally purchase.  I'm also going to be done with my pan-that-palette this year so it will be one in-one out.  *Update on PTP, I finished one entire shadow and have pan showing on the other 3 shades!*  I'm not buying blush, nail polish, or fragrance as I have stuff I love and don't feel the need for more.  I indulged and purchased the items that I really wanted instead of the "good values" which always end up in the not-reached-for section of the drawer.  I repurchased the body lotion that I got as a gift but thought was too expensive even though I loved using it.  Overall I think I spent more on less items, but it's all stuff that I will enjoy to the last drop.  Money well spent, in my opinion.

 

We had to get a new microwave.  The old one had something wrong with the door closure so we had to slam it HARD to use it.  It finally wouldn't close anymore.  With gift cards, I got a new one for only $28.  The whole family is amazed how quiet it is, lol.  I also discovered that making oatmeal on the stove vs in the microwave takes about the same amount of time and the texture is better.  

 

Our dishwasher is not working also.  I think it has something to do with the door closure too.  The last couple of weeks I have been handwashing the dishes.  Not fun.  And I want to see what our water bill looks like.  Supposedly the dishwasher uses less water than handwashing...

 

I need to get back on the HEP bandwagon, ASAP!

Super Contributor
Posts: 439
Registered: ‎07-21-2016

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER

I have certainly curtailed my spending over the last couple of months. But Black Friday/Cyber Monday are coming up. I isually have a lengthy list, but this year it's only a few things.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,431
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER


@Oshare-girl wrote:

Happy No-vember!  We have returned from the Portland (PNW) and it was lovely.  Crisp air and changing leaves, no sales tax.  HEP and no-buy were ignored during this time, but I walked a lot since we didn't rent a car.  

 

November is a hard time to do a no-buy for me.  It's the time when I stock up on essentials during the various sales.  I did decrease the quantities that I purchased.  I bought 2 body lotions instead of 3, because like @aprilskies, I don't need it ALL over.  I bought travel sizes of the Perricone No Foundation Serum instead of the full size, and a set of travel sized lipsticks.  My one guilty pleasure was the Tartelette Tease eyeshadow palette.  I definitely don't need it but it's tiny which is a departure from my usual mega-size palette that I normally purchase.  I'm also going to be done with my pan-that-palette this year so it will be one in-one out.  *Update on PTP, I finished one entire shadow and have pan showing on the other 3 shades!*  I'm not buying blush, nail polish, or fragrance as I have stuff I love and don't feel the need for more.  I indulged and purchased the items that I really wanted instead of the "good values" which always end up in the not-reached-for section of the drawer.  I repurchased the body lotion that I got as a gift but thought was too expensive even though I loved using it.  Overall I think I spent more on less items, but it's all stuff that I will enjoy to the last drop.  Money well spent, in my opinion.

 

We had to get a new microwave.  The old one had something wrong with the door closure so we had to slam it HARD to use it.  It finally wouldn't close anymore.  With gift cards, I got a new one for only $28.  The whole family is amazed how quiet it is, lol.  I also discovered that making oatmeal on the stove vs in the microwave takes about the same amount of time and the texture is better.  

 

Our dishwasher is not working also.  I think it has something to do with the door closure too.  The last couple of weeks I have been handwashing the dishes.  Not fun.  And I want to see what our water bill looks like.  Supposedly the dishwasher uses less water than handwashing...

 

I need to get back on the HEP bandwagon, ASAP!


I can't even remember when our dishwasher gave up the ghost.  It's been years.  The silver lining: Research shows washing dishes by hand is a great stress reliever.  If you do it mindfully, they say.

 

Well, why wouldn't you?  Especially if you're washing your wine glasses.

 

Glad to hear the trip went well!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,431
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER


@StillRachB wrote:
I have certainly curtailed my spending over the last couple of months. But Black Friday/Cyber Monday are coming up. I isually have a lengthy list, but this year it's only a few things.

I just mailed my property taxes so I'll be avoiding shopping as much as possible.  Again, I need some tea before Better-half's mother arrives.  I may have to break down and buy it without a sale.

 

Had a brief, but productive, chat with Better-half this morning about our recent eating habits.  Leading up to the election we consumed some peculiar things.  I started to feel like one of the candidates on the campaign trail.  We started the downhill slide with pizza (incidentally, it's National Pizza Day), then had take-out Chinese, and finally ended the cycle with take-out New Mexican.

 

I recall when I was doing the bulk of the cooking that I would present simple dishes: A protein, a vegetable and some kind of starch.  The food trifecta.  Better-half complained bitterly.  It was not creative enough.  Not flashy.

 

Fine, I said.  The kitchen is all yours.

 

We have adjusted our palates to home cooking.  This week drove the point home that food out there is problematic and we're better off sticking with our cooking.  After all that garbage we consumed, he presented me with his version of the food trifecta.  Pasta and chicken with a simple marinara and a boatload of steamed cauliflower.  I would have gone with broccoli myself, but cauliflower is fine.

 

Simple.  Not flashy.  By George, I think he's got it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~