Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- NOVEMBER

@Oshare-girl wrote:

A dear friend sent me a link to watch the documentary called "Stink" and it really hit a nerve.  It's about chemicals and perfumes in our everyday products and how companies don't need to release that information to consumers.  I know that there are many paths to cancer and I want to do what I can to reduce me & my family's exposure to it by reducing the chemicals that I bring into our home that touch our skin.  I can't do anything about what's outside our home but I will do this little thing that will give me some peace.

I threw out all the perfume samples I was hoarding.  I put away the bottles of perfume I was using daily.  I started using my essential oils as fragrance and will use my perfumes sparingly until they are finished.

I read the labels and looked up the ingredient lists for whatever was in my stash.  I used a "villans" list from Beauty Heroes to weed out products containing at least 3 of the ingredients on that list.  I can't even remember what I tossed, I was in such a frenzy, but I don't even miss those items right now.

This will definitely reduce the amount of products I will be purchasing.  I will have to be much more selective in my purchases.   Not only does it have to be something I love using, but it has to be "clean" according to my new standards.  Phew, glad this happened before I stocked up at Black Friday sales.

This reminds me of all the retro fragrances I purchased this year.  Once the novelty wore off (roughly two weeks after delivery, maybe?) I stopped wearing them.  They've just been sitting on the linen closet shelf, unused.

And what was the point exactly?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

So to expand on my latest strategy to go "cleaner" in my cosmetics & skincare, I don't want to come across as judgey.  For me, I have too much of everything and this is a way to give me guidance in purchasing products.  So far, it has helped me (this week) to avoid any impulsive buys from the sales that are bombarding me.  It also helped me to cull items that I was holding onto but not really using.  It gave me a reason to let it go.  For example, I had a Clinique Cheek Pop blush that I use once every few weeks.  Checking the ingredients, I found out it has the chemical that is better known as Teflon.  Since I hardly use the blush and I have other blushes that contain better ingredients, why was I holding on to it?  I know that everything is a "chemical".  So I'm going to select the chemicals that will be beneficial to my life.  Plus, I use so many products, my exposure is probably much higher than someone that doesn't use many products.  Layers upon layers of "chemicals".  That's another area that I want to reduce, the amount of products I use.  So this is another way to help me reduce what I use. Do I really need all these products?  NO.  Am I giving up anything I love & enjoy?  NO.  The beauty industry is so huge, I will find lots of awesome products for whatever stance I choose to take.  I am not deprived in any way.  For me it was a win-win.

Hope everyone has a lovely Thanksgiving full of good food & good company!  I am so thankful for this thread. 

Ditto! Heart

Regarding giving up items based on principle... 

Principle can be an effective method of getting that frugality ball rolling.  If you devote yourself to a cause or a company just ______ you off, a boycott can really simplify your life.  Until, of course, you discover there's hypocrisy at every turn.

But giving up items for a cause can work.  I just know that the more you research, the more you'll discover that you cannot win.

For instance, I recently adopted almond milk as an alternative to the type of beverage I was bringing to work with me.  I'm not married to the stuff and I'm still not convinced that soaking a nut in a vat of water produces a viable product.  Again, why not just eat the ____ nut?

Well, if there's a point of view out there that will support your position you will find it on the Internet.  Conversely, be prepared to find information you'd rather not know.

I came across an anti-almond milk article that accuses people who buy the overpriced, pasty tasting fluid of singlehandedly and soullessly destroying the universe.

Is it my fault that almonds grow in California and that each almond requires one and a half gallons of water -- and there's no water in California?  So to satisfy the soulless consumers of almonds, water must be diverted from innocent salmon who are now facing, in depleted water levels, the dreaded gill rot.

But wait -- there's more.  By pulling water out of every aquifer to grow the dastardly almond tree, the planet will begin to cave in.  And all those bees that have to be plucked from their homes and family members, kidnapped and trucked across country and forced into labor to pollinate the devil almond trees to satisfy the soulless consumers of the nut, will die -- if not from the trauma of travel, from exposure to pesticides.

And if the bees die, we all die.  Just because some idiot in Albuquerque wants to cut down on sugar and drink pasty tasting almond milk.

Makes you feel optimistic about our future, doesn't it?

Explains why I've been gone: I took a week off from my computer.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

A dear friend sent me a link to watch the documentary called "Stink" and it really hit a nerve.  It's about chemicals and perfumes in our everyday products and how companies don't need to release that information to consumers.  I know that there are many paths to cancer and I want to do what I can to reduce me & my family's exposure to it by reducing the chemicals that I bring into our home that touch our skin.  I can't do anything about what's outside our home but I will do this little thing that will give me some peace.

I threw out all the perfume samples I was hoarding.  I put away the bottles of perfume I was using daily.  I started using my essential oils as fragrance and will use my perfumes sparingly until they are finished.

I read the labels and looked up the ingredient lists for whatever was in my stash.  I used a "villans" list from Beauty Heroes to weed out products containing at least 3 of the ingredients on that list.  I can't even remember what I tossed, I was in such a frenzy, but I don't even miss those items right now.

This will definitely reduce the amount of products I will be purchasing.  I will have to be much more selective in my purchases.   Not only does it have to be something I love using, but it has to be "clean" according to my new standards.  Phew, glad this happened before I stocked up at Black Friday sales.

This reminds me of all the retro fragrances I purchased this year.  Once the novelty wore off (roughly two weeks after delivery, maybe?) I stopped wearing them.  They've just been sitting on the linen closet shelf, unused.

I think it invokes memories.  I often think of Chanel number 5, Anais Anais, among others, from my teen years and then it starts with obssession etc from my college years. Then all the fragrances after college.  I use to have a ton of fragrances at every stage in life.  Even when I see the bottles, it just makes me pause for a moment, especially Chanel #5 and Anais Anais, which I don't see often anymore, but then again, I don't seek out fragrances any longer.  Nowadays, you can't really wear any in the office, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

So to expand on my latest strategy to go "cleaner" in my cosmetics & skincare, I don't want to come across as judgey.  For me, I have too much of everything and this is a way to give me guidance in purchasing products.  So far, it has helped me (this week) to avoid any impulsive buys from the sales that are bombarding me.  It also helped me to cull items that I was holding onto but not really using.  It gave me a reason to let it go.  For example, I had a Clinique Cheek Pop blush that I use once every few weeks.  Checking the ingredients, I found out it has the chemical that is better known as Teflon.  Since I hardly use the blush and I have other blushes that contain better ingredients, why was I holding on to it?  I know that everything is a "chemical".  So I'm going to select the chemicals that will be beneficial to my life.  Plus, I use so many products, my exposure is probably much higher than someone that doesn't use many products.  Layers upon layers of "chemicals".  That's another area that I want to reduce, the amount of products I use.  So this is another way to help me reduce what I use. Do I really need all these products?  NO.  Am I giving up anything I love & enjoy?  NO.  The beauty industry is so huge, I will find lots of awesome products for whatever stance I choose to take.  I am not deprived in any way.  For me it was a win-win.

Hope everyone has a lovely Thanksgiving full of good food & good company!  I am so thankful for this thread. 

I am trying to do the same thing.  Earlier this year or last year, I dont remember now, I read that a person puts on 160ish+ chemicals on their body everyday.  I was blown away. That is what got me started on the trying to simplify the amount of products I use everyday.  I am sure they are not all harmful and some needed for bacteria purposes but that is still pretty bad. I dont try and use everything anymore, I use what I want for the day.  If that means I toss some stuff because it has gone bad, then so be it.  I have given some away too, especially stuff I know I will never get around to using.  ....and others, I am making a point to use instead of just looking at them. I get tired of seeing the same stuff around all the time. LOL.

I, too, am not judgy at all for any of it. I still have so much stuff, it will take a long while to get through it all.  I dont see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet.

Remember when they told us peanut butter caused cancer?  I'm not too worried about chemicals.  I figure by consuming pesticides I'm keeping bed bugs and mosquitos at bay.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on carpet beetles.  I discovered an infestation in a Native American wool rug I've kept on a window seat for almost 20 years.  It had to go away.

Bugs.  Another way to ComPact.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I think it invokes memories.  I often think of Chanel number 5, Anais Anais, among others, from my teen years and then it starts with obssession etc from my college years. Then all the fragrances after college.  I use to have a ton of fragrances at every stage in life.  Even when I see the bottles, it just makes me pause for a moment, especially Chanel #5 and Anais Anais, which I don't see often anymore, but then again, I don't seek out fragrances any longer.  Nowadays, you can't really wear any in the office, etc. 

Isn't fragrance officially classified as a microaggression now?

Definitely a link between scent and memory.  Truly powerful stuff.  I often refer to my story about wearing Tabu to my old artsy job and how a local actor/filmmaker walked into my office and recognized the fragrance immediately.  I'll always remember that dreamy look on his face as he told me about the woman who wore it.  I witnessed time travel that day.

Respected Contributor

I made it through Black Friday unscathed.  The only thing I bought was a DVD of a movie I want to see for 11 bucks. I paid less than I would have at the movies.  I had things in my cart on a few sites but I wouldn't pull the trigger.  Sale or no sale I don't need more products at the moment.    I had to fight myself on some palettes, but so far so good.  Feeling pretty good at the moment that I don't have a ton of products coming my way.  Have I really turned the corner, not sure, but I am feeling pretty good right now, for now.   Those sales are pretty tough, phew.  

I still need a computer and I will focus on that. 

I decluttered a few more clothes.  I even put back in the bag the clothes I changed my mind on last time.  I loved the tops but the fabric did not hold up.  I didn't get my use out of them but now I know those fabrics will not hold and do not buy them.  ...or will not buy going forward. 

I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.  My family and I had a peaceful day.  Usually, someone is arguing about something,  lol. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, my no beauty no buy has been going fantastic.  The only thing I bought that came today was a hair product. I didnt need another hair product quite frankly, but I have some hair issues and I know the answer isnt in products but I keep up the hope.  I may or may not send it back.  When I look at the small 4.2 oz bottle and consider what I paid for it, it makes me go hmmmm.  But, I really hate sending things back so I will probably hold on to it and hope I love it when I try it.  I had a deluxe sample but not sure how I felt about it. But, that is one product in 4 months. I can live with that.  First time ever.

Although, I will say, it has not been easy. I keep getting tempted by so many things and so far I have not given in.  Resisting eyeshadow palettes has been incrediby hard. I want so many of them.  But so far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed I dont go overboard.  I think I will go through my mu once again and remind myself how much I really have.  It will help because the struggle is real, yo!!!!

My HEP is just terrible. Simply terrible. No use in starting now, Thanksgiving is tomorrow and, no, I am not holding back.  But, afterwards, I am going to try and be strict with myself until Christmas.  I went to the doctor this morning and was stunned when she weighed me. Yikes, how did that happen. Smiley Happy

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!!!!

After paying my property taxes and an election in which the voters of Bernalillo County voted to raise them again (a shout out to the voters of Sandoval County who just said NO on a similar issue), I've been even cheaper than usual.  Just necessities this NOvember.

As for HEP, it's been a challenge.  Oddly enough, Thanksgiving dinner was probably one of the healthiest things I've eaten this month.  Better-half kept it simple: A fresh turkey from a local butcher, fresh Brussels sprouts, his amazing cranberry sauce with rosemary, and his signature cornbread and sausage dressing.  No rolls, no mashed potatoes, no candied yams, no dessert.  I brought pies to work that night and they were quite awful.

Working in a hospital is helpful.  I look at what my coworkers eat and I feel I'm doing all right.  Of course now that I'm back on the computer I'll discover that Brussels sprouts are the reason barn owl nests are failing.  Told ya -- you can't win.

Honored Contributor

Fearing that I wouldn't have an appropriate selection of tea for Better-half's mother's holiday visit, I did stock up on the stuff.  I'm now drinking a mug of jasmine tea which tastes like alfalfa and not jasmine.  It's really god-awful.

Honored Contributor

@kathie66 wrote:

Hi All.

Just popping in quick to say Happy Thanksgiving. I am Thankful for you all!

Backatcha!

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Happy No-vember!  We have returned from the Portland (PNW) and it was lovely.  Crisp air and changing leaves, no sales tax.  HEP and no-buy were ignored during this time, but I walked a lot since we didn't rent a car.  

November is a hard time to do a no-buy for me.  It's the time when I stock up on essentials during the various sales.  I did decrease the quantities that I purchased.  I bought 2 body lotions instead of 3, because like @aprilskies, I don't need it ALL over.  I bought travel sizes of the Perricone No Foundation Serum instead of the full size, and a set of travel sized lipsticks.  My one guilty pleasure was the Tartelette Tease eyeshadow palette.  I definitely don't need it but it's tiny which is a departure from my usual mega-size palette that I normally purchase.  I'm also going to be done with my pan-that-palette this year so it will be one in-one out.  *Update on PTP, I finished one entire shadow and have pan showing on the other 3 shades!*  I'm not buying blush, nail polish, or fragrance as I have stuff I love and don't feel the need for more.  I indulged and purchased the items that I really wanted instead of the "good values" which always end up in the not-reached-for section of the drawer.  I repurchased the body lotion that I got as a gift but thought was too expensive even though I loved using it.  Overall I think I spent more on less items, but it's all stuff that I will enjoy to the last drop.  Money well spent, in my opinion.

We had to get a new microwave.  The old one had something wrong with the door closure so we had to slam it HARD to use it.  It finally wouldn't close anymore.  With gift cards, I got a new one for only $28.  The whole family is amazed how quiet it is, lol.  I also discovered that making oatmeal on the stove vs in the microwave takes about the same amount of time and the texture is better.  

Our dishwasher is not working also.  I think it has something to do with the door closure too.  The last couple of weeks I have been handwashing the dishes.  Not fun.  And I want to see what our water bill looks like.  Supposedly the dishwasher uses less water than handwashing...

I need to get back on the HEP bandwagon, ASAP!

I can't even remember when our dishwasher gave up the ghost.  It's been years.  The silver lining: Research shows washing dishes by hand is a great stress reliever.  If you do it mindfully, they say.

Well, why wouldn't you?  Especially if you're washing your wine glasses.

Glad to hear the trip went well!

Hand washing dishes is one of the chores I do not mind.

Ditto!