Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- February

Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow; therefore, spring is just around the corner.  Spring cleaning comes early this year!  (It's the Punxsutawney purge.)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

January turned out better than I thought.

Regarding my stockpiles: though I had 13 items come in, I had 24 go out.  Some items were used up and some were tossed (eyeliner, eyeshadow, face cream from 2008) etc. New month, new chance to stem the "incoming" tide. 

I'm still following Declutter 365 FB group (except for last Friday when I had minor surgery, and Saturday when was taking it easy). I plan on sticking with that group as well. Cat Happy

Keep taking it easy!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

What I learned in January is that no-buy was harder than I thought, BUT, it's easy to jump back on the wagon and stop buying again! I did buy a few necessities, and a few not-at-all necessities. But, I'm still doing much better than "normal", so I'm glad. I just have to really tighten the reigns now!!

Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

I don't post often but do keep up on reading all the posts--they help keep me on track!  I have been doing so much better than, say, 18 months ago.  I can't remember the last time I have stockpiled anything, and that used to be a regular occurrence for me!  I don't have a huge stash, compared to some, but I am using up what I have before purchasing replacements just because there is a sale.  I am writing opening dates on the bottom of some products (thanks @just bee) and most times realize I can let one sale pass and wait for the next sale before replenishing.  

I am also streamlining products. Do I really need to layer seven products on my face every night?  I decided I don't. I am enjoying having fewer products/less stuff. It brings me peace. Who would have thought ?? 😮

Before I buy, I now ask:  1) do I want it? 2) do I need it? 3) will I use it? 4) can I afford it?  Seems pretty basic, but before ComPacting, I only had to answer yes to the first question, rather than all four.  This is especially helpful now with two kids in college and an engaged daughter. 😳

That's the one!  Will I use it?  If we're honest, no.  So why do we want it?

Honored Contributor

@FUTURE wrote:

What I learned in January is that no-buy was harder than I thought, BUT, it's easy to jump back on the wagon and stop buying again! I did buy a few necessities, and a few not-at-all necessities. But, I'm still doing much better than "normal", so I'm glad. I just have to really tighten the reigns now!!

January was practice!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is off topic

Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

I don't post often but do keep up on reading all the posts--they help keep me on track!  I have been doing so much better than, say, 18 months ago.  I can't remember the last time I have stockpiled anything, and that used to be a regular occurrence for me!  I don't have a huge stash, compared to some, but I am using up what I have before purchasing replacements just because there is a sale.  I am writing opening dates on the bottom of some products (thanks @just bee) and most times realize I can let one sale pass and wait for the next sale before replenishing.  

I am also streamlining products. Do I really need to layer seven products on my face every night?  I decided I don't. I am enjoying having fewer products/less stuff. It brings me peace. Who would have thought ?? 😮

Before I buy, I now ask:  1) do I want it? 2) do I need it? 3) will I use it? 4) can I afford it?  Seems pretty basic, but before ComPacting, I only had to answer yes to the first question, rather than all four.  This is especially helpful now with two kids in college and an engaged daughter. 😳

That pretty much sums it up! 

Honored Contributor

Well, I’m trying again in February. I didn’t do so well in January, but I didn’t do horribly either.  If I look on the bright side, it could have been worse.  Spending wasn’t too bad, but I really need to get back to my healthy eating routines again and stick with it this time.  And I did find that my poor diet was expensive as well, so that in itself should be another incentive.

Spending on everything is going to go down for me purely because of affordability. I’ve been (trying) to get our tax information in order and in so doing have realized how much our income has fallen off in the past year.  It didn’t really sink in during the year, but somehow, just seeing the final numbers written down made it much more real.  And it doesn’t promise to get any better in the foreseeable future.  Oh, we’re not going to be eating cat food anytime soon, but I can no longer justify—even to myself—the indiscriminate buying I’ve been doing for the past several years. 

I had a few weak moments earlier this week when one of my spring catalogs arrived. Several items caught my eye and I was back in the saddle immediately thinking that I really did need them—for all the events that will never come up and if they did, I wouldn’t attend anyway.  But I pushed through the temptation and ended up dumping the catalog in the recycling (out of sight). 

Now, if I can only stop buying every darn dog toy and treat I see, I’ll be back on the right track!

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Well, I’m trying again in February. I didn’t do so well in January, but I didn’t do horribly either.  If I look on the bright side, it could have been worse.  Spending wasn’t too bad, but I really need to get back to my healthy eating routines again and stick with it this time.  And I did find that my poor diet was expensive as well, so that in itself should be another incentive.

Spending on everything is going to go down for me purely because of affordability. I’ve been (trying) to get our tax information in order and in so doing have realized how much our income has fallen off in the past year.  It didn’t really sink in during the year, but somehow, just seeing the final numbers written down made it much more real.  And it doesn’t promise to get any better in the foreseeable future.  Oh, we’re not going to be eating cat food anytime soon, but I can no longer justify—even to myself—the indiscriminate buying I’ve been doing for the past several years. 

I had a few weak moments earlier this week when one of my spring catalogs arrived. Several items caught my eye and I was back in the saddle immediately thinking that I really did need them—for all the events that will never come up and if they did, I wouldn’t attend anyway.  But I pushed through the temptation and ended up dumping the catalog in the recycling (out of sight). 

Now, if I can only stop buying every darn dog toy and treat I see, I’ll be back on the right track!

I am with you on the need to cut back on the indiscriminate buying. It's amazing how much little mindless purchases add up! The past couple months, I really cut back on spending and it's amazing to already see the improvement in my bank account! It's eye opening to see how little changes in buying stuff can impact the bottom line.

I know soon there will be all kinds of sales and promotions for Spring attire that will tempt me so I will need to get out my warmer clothes earlier than normal just so I can what I have currently and don't overbuy something not needed.

Super Contributor

I was tempted by the Colleen Lopez ruffle poncho, I've been eyeing them for years.  They're down to $19.00 & I wanted it but I asked myself where would I wear it to,  the answer, no where.  So I left it alone.  Before the Compact, I would've bought a couple & they would just sit in my closet.