Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- DECEMBER!

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I don't know if Elton John ever wore a burlap sack over his head, but if he did, it would have had to have had glitter all over it!🎉🎊😊

Ar, ar, ar!!! Woman LOL

Good timing!  I just posted about the WGD's kibble; how's your WGD these days?

She's not a happy camper.  She's been grain-free for quite a while, but her puppy food formula has just been changed and she doesn't like it.  She gets Orijen, which has previously been out of Canada.  They recently built a plant in Kentucky and now all US orders come from there instead.  Apparently she thinks of herself as a true wild wolf on the tundra who needs a diet worthy of sustaining her high standards.  Mere domestic cuisine will not do.  So the only way she'll eat the new stuff is if I mix it with even more freeze-dried than before.  When we're broke and living on the street, she'll be reduced to eating coyote poop, which will delight her no end since it's her idea of the ultimate delicacy.

But as healthy and active as this crazy one is, I think I'll start eating her food.  Grain-free I can handle--she can keep the coyote poop though.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I don't know if Elton John ever wore a burlap sack over his head, but if he did, it would have had to have had glitter all over it!🎉🎊😊

Ar, ar, ar!!! Woman LOL

She's not a happy camper.  She's been grain-free for quite a while, but her puppy food formula has just been changed and she doesn't like it.  She gets Orijen, which has previously been out of Canada.  They recently built a plant in Kentucky and now all US orders come from there instead.  Apparently she thinks of herself as a true wild wolf on the tundra who needs a diet worthy of sustaining her high standards.  Mere domestic cuisine will not do.  So the only way she'll eat the new stuff is if I mix it with even more freeze-dried than before.  When we're broke and living on the street, she'll be reduced to eating coyote poop, which will delight her no end since it's her idea of the ultimate delicacy.

But as healthy and active as this crazy one is, I think I'll start eating her food.  Grain-free I can handle--she can keep the coyote poop though.

For a time, we were feeding WGD air-dried ZiwiPeak from New Zealand.  But we decided that living with a roof over our heads was better in the long run.  The alternative would have meant living in the bosque and eating coyote scat while WGD ate air-dried green-lipped mussels.

Happily, WGD does not eat scat.  Nor does he show any interest in horse droppings.  Our previous WGD loved what came from horses -- and rabbits.  I have lived with WGD who cannot resist cat scat.  Might explain why I have been catless for over 20 years.

No, current WGD eats Fromm.  He also gets meat and vegetable treats, but he primarily sticks to kibble to keep GI issues in check.  I pick up his poop and I want it firm.

I don't know if it's a downside of going through nursing school, but I've developed the habit of analyzing... scat.  All kinds.

Anyway...

Fromm is family-owned and based in Wisconsin.  The formula is designed so that a dog can eat different flavors without GI upset.  However, I've discovered WGD does better on certain formulas so we tend to stick to the one he prefers: Game Bird.

It's that scat analysis thing...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Ar, ar, ar!!! Woman LOL

For a time, we were feeding WGD air-dried ZiwiPeak from New Zealand.  But we decided that living with a roof over our heads was better in the long run.  The alternative would have meant living in the bosque and eating coyote scat while WGD ate air-dried green-lipped mussels.

Happily, WGD does not eat scat.  Nor does he show any interest in horse droppings.  Our previous WGD loved what came from horses -- and rabbits.  I have lived with WGD who cannot resist cat scat.  Might explain why I have been catless for over 20 years.

No, current WGD eats Fromm.  He also gets meat and vegetable treats, but he primarily sticks to kibble to keep GI issues in check.  I pick up his poop and I want it firm.

I don't know if it's a downside of going through nursing school, but I've developed the habit of analyzing... scat.  All kinds.

Anyway...

Fromm is family-owned and based in Wisconsin.  The formula is designed so that a dog can eat different flavors without GI upset.  However, I've discovered WGD does better on certain formulas so we tend to stick to the one he prefers: Game Bird.

It's that scat analysis thing...

I'm not so sure that habit is confined to nurses only, or more a result of having a dog.  Kids, dogs...you become an expert on anything coming out of both ends.😱

Honored Contributor

Gadzooks.  Do you realize there are only three weeks left of this year?

What do you need to check off your list before 2017?  What can wait 'til next year?

(I need to get off the stick and send out Christmas cards!)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I just sent out most of my Christmas cards today.  I have two left to send, but those are going to be tough.  One is to my aunt and uncle.  I just learned that both of them have cancer--terminal.  The other card is to my cousin, their daughter.  Probably my favorite aunt and uncle and definitely my favorite cousin.  

I'm running out of relatives.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I just sent out most of my Christmas cards today.  I have two left to send, but those are going to be tough.  One is to my aunt and uncle.  I just learned that both of them have cancer--terminal.  The other card is to my cousin, their daughter.  Probably my favorite aunt and uncle and definitely my favorite cousin.  

I'm so sorry, G.  But I understand what you're saying.  My family's dwindling, too.  I never met any of my father's family -- he died in 1970.  My stepfather was an only child -- he died in 1981 and his mother died in the 60s.  My mother's mother died during the Depression and her father died in '62.  All my aunts and uncles are gone.  Recently I discovered the twin boys -- my cousins -- that were adopted by my aunt and uncle are both deceased.  My sister's gone and my other sister is starting to lose her kids and grandchildren.  We're shrinking.

Some days I feel like a passenger pigeon.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I'm so sorry, G.  But I understand what you're saying.  My family's dwindling, too.  I never met any of my father's family -- he died in 1970.  My stepfather was an only child -- he died in 1981 and his mother died in the 60s.  My mother's mother died during the Depression and her father died in '62.  All my aunts and uncles are gone.  Recently I discovered the twin boys -- my cousins -- that were adopted by my aunt and uncle are both deceased.  My sister's gone and my other sister is starting to lose her kids and grandchildren.  We're shrinking.

Some days I feel like a passenger pigeon.

Sorry to hear as well, G.  wishing the best for your family. It is tough times when you start losing family members especially favorites. 

JB,   That has got to be hard.  Your sisters kids are going young?????

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to bring this thread down, especially when everyone is supposed to be "merry and bright" this time of year.  🎄

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to bring this thread down, especially when everyone is supposed to be "merry and bright" this time of year.  🎄

Not at all.  Here's an attempt to cheer things up.  I worked with a woman back in the 80s and I just adored her.  She confided, when I told her I had just acquired a Boxer puppy, she had always wanted a Boxer, but her mother wouldn't let her have a dog.  Well, of course I had to name my puppy after this woman.  Coworkers were mortified and told me I would be offending her.  Clearly they didn't know her.  When she discovered I'd named my beautiful brindle Boxer after her, she wept.

She ended up getting married and she left California for Flagstaff.  I left California for Albuquerque.  Every year we send each other a Christmas card.  This is what we do.  Better-half doesn't understand it.

"You don't call each other and talk?  You don't email?  You just send a card every Christmas?  Ridiculous."

It's our thing.  Anyway, last year I didn't get a card.  She was 50 when we worked together in the 80s.  What do you imagine I thought?

1. Oh, God -- she's dead!

2. Oh, God -- she's in a nursing home!

So of course I did what anyone with half a brain would do: I went online and tried to track her down.  I kept seeing her name associated with Prescott.

Did she move to Prescott?  The magical place, my favorite year Prescott?

Well, this year I got a card.  Not only did she move to Prescott, but she got remarried!

I had to include a letter in this year's card to ask her if she remembered that my family left Chicago in 1970 to move to Prescott, Arizona.  (She lived in Chicago as a kid and her family moved West, too.)

So there she is, with a new husband and a view of Thumb Butte.

That right there is symbolic of the magic of this season.

Respected Contributor

So, I don't wear mu often.  But I have been trying to make time for it in the morning and I do like the process of it.  How is it I feel that I look worse by the days end.  Especially around my eyes.  Definitely not as fresh as the morning.  And this is the first day I am wearing a cream shadow and right now my eyes are irritated, is it possible cream shadows flake off?  I think I expect too much from this stuff. Is there anything you ladies have tried that has stayed in place?