Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- DECEMBER!

As for MU staying on, it all started to work for me when I sorted out the whole primer issue. Urban Decay (sounds awful, doesn't it?) makes a great eyelid primer. Protects your eyes from MU and your MU from sinking into your skin. A good equation.

But I think (sigh) that you have to experiment to find the things that work for you. I have good luck with powder eye shadows, and I finally found a liner that stays on. I've bought and tossed a number of products before getting here, though.

Respected Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

As for MU staying on, it all started to work for me when I sorted out the whole primer issue. Urban Decay (sounds awful, doesn't it?) makes a great eyelid primer. Protects your eyes from MU and your MU from sinking into your skin. A good equation.

But I think (sigh) that you have to experiment to find the things that work for you. I have good luck with powder eye shadows, and I finally found a liner that stays on. I've bought and tossed a number of products before getting here, though.

I usually stick to powder products but thought I would give the cream ones a try to see if they are better. I have to experiment with the cream a bit more but so far prowder shadows are winning out.  Yea, right now, I am using the too faced primer but I might have to test out other things. 

Believe me, I am embarrassed to admit how much I have tossed.  So, I am trying to get use out of what I have but am realizing that may not be possible. 

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to bring this thread down, especially when everyone is supposed to be "merry and bright" this time of year.  🎄

Not at all.  Here's an attempt to cheer things up.  I worked with a woman back in the 80s and I just adored her.  She confided, when I told her I had just acquired a Boxer puppy, she had always wanted a Boxer, but her mother wouldn't let her have a dog.  Well, of course I had to name my puppy after this woman.  Coworkers were mortified and told me I would be offending her.  Clearly they didn't know her.  When she discovered I'd named my beautiful brindle Boxer after her, she wept.

She ended up getting married and she left California for Flagstaff.  I left California for Albuquerque.  Every year we send each other a Christmas card.  This is what we do.  Better-half doesn't understand it.

"You don't call each other and talk?  You don't email?  You just send a card every Christmas?  Ridiculous."

It's our thing.  Anyway, last year I didn't get a card.  She was 50 when we worked together in the 80s.  What do you imagine I thought?

1. Oh, God -- she's dead!

2. Oh, God -- she's in a nursing home!

So of course I did what anyone with half a brain would do: I went online and tried to track her down.  I kept seeing her name associated with Prescott.

Did she move to Prescott?  The magical place, my favorite year Prescott?

Well, this year I got a card.  Not only did she move to Prescott, but she got remarried!

I had to include a letter in this year's card to ask her if she remembered that my family left Chicago in 1970 to move to Prescott, Arizona.  (She lived in Chicago as a kid and her family moved West, too.)

So there she is, with a new husband and a view of Thumb Butte.

That right there is symbolic of the magic of this season.

Very cool.  And a good thing to realize in this wacky world we live in now: its smaller than we think.

She must be a neat woman because she now lives in Prescott.  We almost moved there years ago.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

So, I don't wear mu often.  But I have been trying to make time for it in the morning and I do like the process of it.  How is it I feel that I look worse by the days end.  Especially around my eyes.  Definitely not as fresh as the morning.  And this is the first day I am wearing a cream shadow and right now my eyes are irritated, is it possible cream shadows flake off?  I think I expect too much from this stuff. Is there anything you ladies have tried that has stayed in place?   

No, but I think they can melt.  Anything creamy around my eyes ends up in my eyes.  I'm devoted to washable mascara and I avoid waterproof formulas; however, there are times when the washable formula "melts" into my eyes.  If my eyes water or I tear up, the mascara's going straight to my eyeballs.

Eyelids tend to be greasy after a few hours.  I would think a cream shadow would slide right off.  I stick with powder.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to bring this thread down, especially when everyone is supposed to be "merry and bright" this time of year.  🎄

Not at all.  Here's an attempt to cheer things up.  I worked with a woman back in the 80s and I just adored her.  She confided, when I told her I had just acquired a Boxer puppy, she had always wanted a Boxer, but her mother wouldn't let her have a dog.  Well, of course I had to name my puppy after this woman.  Coworkers were mortified and told me I would be offending her.  Clearly they didn't know her.  When she discovered I'd named my beautiful brindle Boxer after her, she wept.

She ended up getting married and she left California for Flagstaff.  I left California for Albuquerque.  Every year we send each other a Christmas card.  This is what we do.  Better-half doesn't understand it.

"You don't call each other and talk?  You don't email?  You just send a card every Christmas?  Ridiculous."

It's our thing.  Anyway, last year I didn't get a card.  She was 50 when we worked together in the 80s.  What do you imagine I thought?

So of course I did what anyone with half a brain would do: I went online and tried to track her down.  I kept seeing her name associated with Prescott.

Well, this year I got a card.  Not only did she move to Prescott, but she got remarried!

I had to include a letter in this year's card to ask her if she remembered that my family left Chicago in 1970 to move to Prescott, Arizona.  (She lived in Chicago as a kid and her family moved West, too.)

Very cool.  And a good thing to realize in this wacky world we live in now: its smaller than we think.

She must be a neat woman because she now lives in Prescott.  We almost moved there years ago.

No truer words.  If you don't believe in its smallness, move to Albuquerque.  There's an almost eerie connectedness here.

I know 1970 Prescott.  Every time we plan a trip there something prevents it.  The last attempt?  We packed up the car and it blew up thirty miles out of Albuquerque.  Part of me believes this is a sign: It might be better to remember the place as it was because it certainly isn't the same city today.

For some reason I've become addicted to the Sperling's Best Places website.  I've got everyone at work addicted now.  There's a quiz on the site: You click on a few buttons and you're presented with your best place.  I'd been fantasizing about Wyoming, but Sperling thinks I'd be better off in Utah.  The same night, one of my patients mentions he's from a city in Utah and now I'm thinking about a road trip through Utah, Wyoming and Montana.

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam

And the deer and the antelope play...

Maybe I'm in search of a place where seldom is heard a discouraging word.

How did you almost move to Prescott?  (I'd still be there but we were asked to leave because after a year we still couldn't say "Press-kit.")

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

So, I don't wear mu often.  But I have been trying to make time for it in the morning and I do like the process of it.  How is it I feel that I look worse by the days end.  Especially around my eyes.  Definitely not as fresh as the morning.  And this is the first day I am wearing a cream shadow and right now my eyes are irritated, is it possible cream shadows flake off?  I think I expect too much from this stuff. Is there anything you ladies have tried that has stayed in place?   

No, but I think they can melt.  Anything creamy around my eyes ends up in my eyes.  I'm devoted to washable mascara and I avoid waterproof formulas; however, there are times when the washable formula "melts" into my eyes.  If my eyes water or I tear up, the mascara's going to straight to my eyeballs.

Eyelids tend to be greasy after a few hours.  I would think a cream shadow would slide right off.  I stick with powder.

Yep, I think it melted a little bit.  I could see it on the corner of my eyes further down than where I placed it. Started to look like a racoon. Not that bad but it wasnt pretty and it started to irritate.  I will try it again before giving up. They are such pretty colors.  At least I got them on sale so if they don't work out, the loss isn't steep. 

TGIF!!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Aprilskies -  Have you tried Boots mascara, they have smudgeproof mascara.  It is not waterproof, just smudgeproof.  It comes off very easily.  I have been using it for years.

Respected Contributor

@PAlady wrote:

Aprilskies -  Have you tried Boots mascara, they have smudgeproof mascara.  It is not waterproof, just smudgeproof.  It comes off very easily.  I have been using it for years.

Thanks, PaLady1,  I will have to try that one.  I think they are cruelty free.  I am in search of one that just gives a natural look rather than an exaggerated one for everyday.   I am also going to try the Pacifica ones as well.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

No truer words.  If you don't believe in its smallness, move to Albuquerque.  There's an almost eerie connectedness here.

I know 1970 Prescott.  Every time we plan a trip there something prevents it.  The last attempt?  We packed up the car and it blew up thirty miles out of Albuquerque.  Part of me believes this is a sign: It might be better to remember the place as it was because it certainly isn't the same city today.

For some reason I've become addicted to the Sperling's Best Places website.  I've got everyone at work addicted now.  There's a quiz on the site: You click on a few buttons and you're presented with your best place.  I'd been fantasizing about Wyoming, but Sperling thinks I'd be better off in Utah.  The same night, one of my patients mentions he's from a city in Utah and now I'm thinking about a road trip through Utah, Wyoming and Montana.

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam

And the deer and the antelope play...

Maybe I'm in search of a place where seldom is heard a discouraging word.

How did you almost move to Prescott?  (I'd still be there but we were asked to leave because after a year we still couldn't say "Press-kit.")

I'm afraid to go back to anywhere I ever liked simply because everything has changed so much.  The places I don't like are so different, what would the ones I did like be now?  Better to fantasize about them in my

memory.

Prescott: The old geezer (who was a young geezer at the time) gets the seven year itch about every five years, and it's time to move.  Prescott looked great--decent size, seasons, close enough but not too close to Phoenix.  We were about ready to start serious house hunting when my dad's health took a rapid nosedive and he passed away.  After that, my mom needed help, and by the time she left us, all thoughts of Prescott had vanished from our minds.

But the small world thing pops up again when you mention Utah.  The old geezer has wanted to move to southern Utah (Red Rock country) for a few years.  He went there a couple of years ago and loved it.  At the time, once again, we just weren't free to go.  Now, we're just too settled.  The thought of having to move cross-country again and readjust to a totally new place at this point in our lives is not appealing at all to me.  I've gotten so that I don't even feel like driving the five miles to town to get groceries.

Trusted Contributor

Hi all!!  I've missed coming to this thread.  This is such a busy time of year!  We attended our last Christmas party yesterday, the kids are out of school, they have no more school events, my gift shopping is done, and the house is decorated.  Tomorrow, I will wrap presents and get caught up on some cleaning.

HEP is going fairly well.  I have enjoyed some holiday goodies but not too much.  There is a lot of fruit in the house because I bought two boxes of citrus fruit for a fundraiser.  I am also eating salad nearly daily.

ComPacting continues.  So far this month, I've finished a body cream, an eyeshadow primer, a lip balm that I keep next to my bed, a bottle of John Frieda blow out spray, and a demoted bottle of facial moisturizer that I used on my neck.  I tossed a highlighter when I noticed that it settled into my pores.  How long had that been happening???  I also tossed a three eyeshadow palette that just did not look good at the end of the day.  The color changed to a slightly copper tone.

Evine cancelled my Isomers eye duo moisturizer auto delivery.  I was a bit bummed because I have been using it daily and like it.  Oh, well.

I made some skin care purchases during Isomers' last visit.  I bought the matrixyl TTV and the four piece kit that was a companion to the TTV.  So now I have the Origins kits that I bought last month and the Isomers products.  This is how I get into trouble.  Buying kits that I want to try and are "good deals."  If I am not careful, I end up with a cabinet full of product.  I am nearly current in all skin care categories and have decided that because it is winter I am going to use the Isomers products before the Origins brightening products.  I have already started using the Matrixyl serum and the clay cleanser.  Love both!  I cannot buy another skin care product.  Not one.  I am covered for many months.

The local annual holiday craft fair attracts all kinds of businesses.  This year, a wildlife rescue group had a booth to raise funds.  Guess who they brought with them?  A BARN OWL!!!!!  He/she was magnificent!  Gorgeous!  If the people and environment made him/her nervous or frightened, no one could tell.  That owl was fierce.

TTFN!!

Paws and enjoy life.