Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- September

@just bee wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@kitty45 wrote:

You're welcome.  I'm taking that route also.  I really don't need that much to live on.  I discovered three saucepans & three frying pans & seven lunch bags.  I didn't even realize I had these.  So I gave them away.  I finally gave away all but 3 cookbooks. I think I had 50 of these. 

I'm still getting rid of clothes, it is surprising how much I have.  I'm hoping by November I'll keep only the ones I use.

What really shook me was that a few months back I ending up at the hospital.  High blood pressure, heartburn & anxiety attack.  (I'm on meds & doing better).  But the sad thing was that I was more worried about if I didn't leave the hospital, how are my siblings going to get rid of all  my stuff.  I should've been worried about my health!  It was then I realized that even though I've made some progress since joining the Compact, I needed to do more.  

I'm glad that you are feeling better. Thank you for sharing your story with us! I have caught myself thinking sometimes what would happen if someone else had to go thru all of my stuff. It's something we shouldn't have to worry about. For me, I realized that worry means I feel shame for my stash of things. It's a motivator to continue to work on getting rid of the excess unwanted items.

What's so odd about hanging onto all these peculiar items is that the day will come when we will exit stage right and we will leave all these things behind.  They aren't coming with us.  We will lose everything we're holding onto.  None of it will matter to anyone else.  It will end up at thrift stores and in dumpsters.  My stepfather's mother died in 1969 and he couldn't part with her collections.  My sister moved into that house after my stepfather died in 1981 and she couldn't part with the collectibles.  She died in 2003 and then my brother-in-law (my other sister's husband), who had very little time and couldn't figure out how valuable some of the items were, tossed everything.  It's all gone.  She was sharp and knew what to collect, but it -- no matter its value -- became worthless in landfill.

After my grandparents died, my dad gave me their dining room furniture.  In the back of one of the sideboard's drawers was a clipping from the local newspaper.  It was a short article about my grandfather being indicted for mail fraud.  Oops!  My guess is that my grandmother hid it there to hold over my grandfather.  She was spunky.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

After my grandparents died, my dad gave me their dining room furniture.  In the back of one of the sideboard's drawers was a clipping from the local newspaper.  It was a short article about my grandfather being indicted for mail fraud.  Oops!  My guess is that my grandmother hid it there to hold over my grandfather.  She was spunky.

Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

dosey - Just an idea - Display only a couple things at a time and store the rest, then every couple months pull a couple new things out and store the ones that were out.  If you MIL asks why you don't have everything out - tell her this way you alway feel like you have something new in the house.  Maybe this way you won't have to put everything out at one time. 

Trusted Contributor

@palady wrote:

dosey - Just an idea - Display only a couple things at a time and store the rest, then every couple months pull a couple new things out and store the ones that were out.  If you MIL asks why you don't have everything out - tell her this way you alway feel like you have something new in the house.  Maybe this way you won't have to put everything out at one time. 

Thank you.  That is a very good idea.  My MIL does not live near us, yet, but she promises that she will move here in the spring.  I like the rotation strategy.

Paws and enjoy life.
Contributor

You are so sweet Dosey. I would do the same thing, it's not worth hurting her feelings.
Trusted Contributor

Woohoooooo! I made it thru the Serious Skincare visit without buying anything. I had said earlier this month that I would buy their a-force serum if they had good deal since I'm on last bottle. They didn't, so Paula's Choice had a sale so I bought her retinol instead. I'm set for skincare. I think I could limit my future skincare to just Paula's Choice, Isomers and CeraVe, and be 100% happy. hmmmmm maybe I see a 2016 goal appearing!!!
Trusted Contributor

@just bee I am reporting back on the loose tea recommendations you gave me a month or so ago (boy, time does fly!).  I have not yet ordered from the websites you provided because as I was ordering a supplement from Iherb.com, flashing across the screen was an advertisement for various 2.5-3.5 ounce canisters of organic loose teas on clearance for $1.00 each!  Yes, I know this is a compacting thread but I ordered 9 of them--1 of each kind available at that price.  I purchased a tea infuser and my son has only been drinking that tea, ignoring the bagged green tea.  I fear I have created a tea snob 😆. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Hello, Ladies.  Just dropping in to say hello and see how everyone is doing. 

My project later on is going to be paring back the cardboard boxes I accumulated over the last year.  I always think I will use them for something else, like mailing something, but all they are doing is taking up space. So, I think I will keep some of them but toss most.  I do like to reuse stuff where i can but it doesnt make sense to keep all of them. The clutter seems to build.

My other project area this weekend will be my bedroom closet.  It has gotten out of control. I seem to throw everything there, sort of like sweeping stuff under the rug type thing, and I cant fully get in there to find something to wear.  I am always stretching and reaching at weird angles. You really have to keep up with the clutter.  It just multiplys and I am really never sure how it magically appears. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Aprilskies - I had the same issue with boxes earlier this year. But I've gotten better, I only hold on to the boxes for the month where I could still need them to return the item. If it's decided that I'm going to keep the item that came in the box, the box is put in the recycling bin. I force myself not to stockpile them for possible "future" uses.
Trusted Contributor

I can't believe we're already past the mid-point of September! I'm still trying out my WEN TSV kits...this weekend, I'm going to pack them up and return them. Maybe it's my hair, but I just don't get the allure or see the need to spend $$$ on it. I had also bought the Beekman TS on Evine with the intent to give part as gift.....well I got the box and before I could stop, yep I opened all of the items to try them out LOL. I was like a naughty kid at Christmas. They're nice items but would I buy again? I don't think so? They seem expensive after trying them out. I will stick to Korres and Perlier for splurges when it comes to body products - seem to get more product for the price with those brands too. Have I gotten picky? Or have I realized that falling for all of the rave reviews is just dumb on my part?? Or have I finally figured out that I could most likely buy items at local retail that are comparable products but for much less money??