Trusted Contributor

Hey y'all. The weather has been mighty nice here in the south. Our cat has been staying out all night and loves it. He such a party animal!

Thanks for the videos, just bee. I recognized Cindy Joseph but never knew her name until today. She is an interesting person. I enjoyed listening to her and reading about her. Over the past few months, I have been on a journey thinking about who I am, my life, and trying to make sense of the obstacles I have encountered on my path. For a while, I was deeply depressed because I thought I was too old for change. Who would want me? I'm too old for this, too old for that. What nonsense! What I have discovered is what so many others (like Cindy) have discovered. Every moment in our lives has value. We are important at every age. There is no reason to feel that we are less valuable as we age. I cannot tell you how many times over the years I heard people say that they would never want to go back to their 20's or 30's. I was doubtful. Well, guess what! I am right there. I like where I am right now (52 yo). There is no way I would want to relive my 20's and 30's. I am much more interesting and smarter now.

People like Cindy are trying to get the message out that aging is not to be feared. Granted, that is a difficult task with so many images of people airbrushed to the point that they look computer generated. If L'Oreal left Diane Keaton's lines and Julianne Moore's freckles on their faces, they would promote true beauty.

I wonder if 20 year olds have websites telling them that they are okay?

Jennifer Scott's website is fun. I read it occasionally. Could I have a 10 item wardrobe? No way and not because I couldn't. I had one many years ago when I had no money and never want a wardrobe that small, again. Do I want a smaller wardrobe? Yes, but I still want choices.

As far as ComPacting goes, I used up an entire concealer and am using another one that just has a tiny bit left. After about two years of ComPacting, I am current in several categories. This means I am able to buy replacements. It is an effort not to go crazy and end up with too much, again. When I went to TJ Maxx to buy a hair dryer, I walked by the skin care and spotted a bottle of Dead Sea body lotion. I stared at it. I picked it up. I put it down. I told myself that I did not need any body lotion at this time. I picked it up, again. I mentally calculated that it was only 50 cents per ounce. I put it down. Finally, I left the store with a hair dryer (Revlon - only $17. They had T3 and Chi hair dryers for $70, but I chose the inexpensive option.). I probably looked pretty silly on the security cameras. Or maybe not. I suspect there are quite a few people out there just like me.

I have made a few beauty purchases. My Clinique blush in plum gorgeous had a shiny film. I scraped off the film, but it reappeared. I could not remember when I bought this blush (I swear it must have been years ago!), so I went to Dillard's and bought a replacement along with a tri-color blush to replace another old blush. They had a GWP, so I got that, too. It has been about a year since I bought department store cosmetics and received a GWP. I used to shop for department store cosmetics based on when the brands had a GWP. No more!

That is not all. I can also buy some skin care products. When Isomers is on, these boards are buzzing. There is so much excitement that makes it very hard to resist buying. With the exception of too much sun as a teenager, I have taken pretty good care of my skin. It is not in bad shape. The only thing that really bothers me is that it has no glow. None. Well, maybe it does on a hot summer day, but that is not the good kind of glow. So . . . I bought the small C try me kit. I told myself that I would use the entire kit and give it a fair try before moving on to something else. Well, well, well. I have been using the kit for only a few days and love it!! The cleanser is so nice. Everything is very gentle. This morning I woke up and was just shocked. There was a bit of glow on my forehead and the tip of my nose. I cannot believe I am seeing results so quickly. They are very subtle, but I cannot wait to see what happens in a few weeks. I thought about buying an eye duo kit that was on sale and addressed the problems I have, but I thought about it too long. The kit sold out. Now, after seeing results, I wish I had bought it. That was probably for the best. I do not want to go crazy with my spending. Patience.

DL2843, tell us about your house? I am so happy you took the plunge. What a great gift!

Now, over to you. How is everyone?

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

Hey, Dosey -- good to see you! I do think it's interesting, as Cindy says, that there was a time we embraced age. We couldn't wait to be older. Then once we hit 21, what happened?

Each decade is so different. But now that I'm 55 I can't help think: How did I get here so quickly? All the things I thought I'd have had accomplished at 30 have now moved to 60. Actually, only a few of the things have moved. Most have been abandoned. And that's mainly because I'm different. Things that were important then are not important now.

As for shopping for beauty products, the only items I've purchased in 2015 are two tubes of Aveda clove conditioner. The only thing I'm going to have to purchase is more facial cleanser, but I'm waiting for a sale at Paula's Choice. Someone give me a shout when you see it!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Here's a bit of what I'd posted on the "Tired of anti-aging" thread:

A bit of an interview with Annie Lennox:

BB: What’s your thoughts on makeup?

AL: What I would say about makeup. I would say that at our stage, less is more.

BB: Yes, but a bit of mascara, a bit of concealer, a bit of blush, is needed to make us feel good as we get older.

AL: Yes, just enough to cheer us up a little bit. The process of getting older doesn’t have to be submission to becoming frail. But at the same time, we don’t have to feel desperate that we have to be young. It’s not about that either. It’s just about finding the balance within yourself, and having the right kind of attitude and a healthy approach to who you are as a human being, going through the journey of life with gratitude.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/annie-lennox-says-no-to-retouching-112739192083.html

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Stuff: Time to Let it Go

https://experiencelife.com/just-cindy/

Here's a video from Cindy Joseph about "stuff." What do you keep, what do you toss?

Just something to think about.

Regular Contributor
Hello Everyone, it took me a while to find this thread. My house is a 1968 rambler that is 1350 sq ft. I have lived off and on in it since my parents bought it in 1982. Rents in my area keep escalating but housing prices are not so it seemed like a good time to buy. I enjoyed the 10 item wardrobe video. I once read an article about a very famous model (I cannot remember who) who frequently wore the same Louis Vuitton scarf in the paparazzi photos. A reporter asked her why and her response was something like why wear anything else when one has a LV. My frustration with these gurus is they tout a tag line but in the fine print are the exceptions. Sure it is 10 pieces hanging up, but you can have many "layering" pieces like t-shirts, sweaters, blazers etc. Off season clothes are to be stored. So now the 10 piece wardrobe is really 40 pieces plus extras. The same was true of the 30 items for 30 days guru. Exercise clothes, pajamas, intimates, etc are not part of the 30. Once all that extra stuff is back you have my problem closet. I did download the Marie Kondo book. I am looking forward to reading her viewpoint. In her interview she said that storage organizers/containers just make us hoarders. So my big purchases are a house and a new washer since the old one broke a week after I bought the house. Also some landscaping for a small flower bed that is currently dirt.
Regular Contributor
Ps I just let my hair return to its natural grey state. I always told people that I liked my silver hair, but did not want it until I hit fifty. I hit fifty and now am a grey haired little old lady with a house.
Regular Contributor
Now I just need 20 cats.
Valued Contributor
Hi DL2843! (waving hand in air) I can help with the cat part ! :-) What color would you like? :-D Seriously, congrats on the house, that is fantastic. Would love to hear what you think of the Marie Kondo book after you have read it. I don't post a lot in this thread, but I do read it. I struggle with being organized so this thread is always inspiring.
Trusted Contributor

I found a new cosmetics line called Stowaway Cosmetics, designed to be "right sized" and used up before it expires. It was just in time because my concealer is at the end of its life and I needed to replace it. Stowaway only has 6 products right now, the basic "wardrobe" for faces. I am just amazed at the trending going on now. Simplifying, downsizing, decluttering going on all over the place. For once, it's a trend that's worth doing! In the past, if I found a new cosmetics line, I would have bought one of everything. But now, I just bought the concealer since I was out and the BB cream since I need a moisturizer.

Honored Contributor
On 3/13/2015 Oshare-girl said:

I found a new cosmetics line called Stowaway Cosmetics, designed to be "right sized" and used up before it expires. It was just in time because my concealer is at the end of its life and I needed to replace it. Stowaway only has 6 products right now, the basic "wardrobe" for faces. I am just amazed at the trending going on now. Simplifying, downsizing, decluttering going on all over the place. For once, it's a trend that's worth doing! In the past, if I found a new cosmetics line, I would have bought one of everything. But now, I just bought the concealer since I was out and the BB cream since I need a moisturizer.

The "upside," I guess, of a crummy economy.