Honored Contributor
On 3/3/2015 kittykatmom2 said:

I am on my second week of a bad sinus infection. I will have sooooooooooo much to do when my energy is back. Doing what I can for now & trying not to get discouraged.

Just rest -- the clutter will wait!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

justbee: There must be a DVR bug going around because our satellite receiver has gone wonky in the last few weeks. (Personally, I think it's probably the dish antenna outside that's messed up because of all the freezing rain/temps lately, but of course, customer "service"--and I use that term loosely--thinks it's something else.) Anyway, my point being that I'm about to loose all my recordings too, in another day or two when we get the new receiver. None of them are really all that important, mostly reruns of "Dog Whisperer", but it's just something new to have to deal with and lately I'm hating anything new. I'm dreading having to install the new receiver because I know nothing about electronics and my husband barely knows how to use the remote. I don't understand why companies insist on forcing people to jump through hoops and humiliate themselves to try to do things themselves before they will agree to send a serviceman, which I'm more than willing to pay for up front!

I realize all my problems are trivial and in the grand scheme of things mean absolutely nothing to anyone but me. Hundreds of other people are dealing with life-threatening illnesses or out making the world safe for humanity while I complain about things they would love to deal with instead. But everything just seems to be frustrating and changing lately and I don't like it (like it matters what I want or think). I'm beginning to remind myself of my mother when something of hers would need to be replaced but the same model was no longer available and she couldn't understand why--only she was 25 years older at that point than I am now!

Honored Contributor
On 3/3/2015 geezerette said:

justbee: There must be a DVR bug going around because our satellite receiver has gone wonky in the last few weeks. (Personally, I think it's probably the dish antenna outside that's messed up because of all the freezing rain/temps lately, but of course, customer "service"--and I use that term loosely--thinks it's something else.) Anyway, my point being that I'm about to loose all my recordings too, in another day or two when we get the new receiver. None of them are really all that important, mostly reruns of "Dog Whisperer", but it's just something new to have to deal with and lately I'm hating anything new. I'm dreading having to install the new receiver because I know nothing about electronics and my husband barely knows how to use the remote. I don't understand why companies insist on forcing people to jump through hoops and humiliate themselves to try to do things themselves before they will agree to send a serviceman, which I'm more than willing to pay for up front!

I realize all my problems are trivial and in the grand scheme of things mean absolutely nothing to anyone but me. Hundreds of other people are dealing with life-threatening illnesses or out making the world safe for humanity while I complain about things they would love to deal with instead. But everything just seems to be frustrating and changing lately and I don't like it (like it matters what I want or think). I'm beginning to remind myself of my mother when something of hers would need to be replaced but the same model was no longer available and she couldn't understand why--only she was 25 years older at that point than I am now!

Better-half and I have been dealing with this DVR/Comcast issue for two days. They moved their office further away from our house so we had to drive all the way there yesterday and all the way back (stood in line for over an hour), then came home and discovered the new DVR was incompatible with our existing system. Better-half was on the phone for hours and then today he had to go back across town and deal with them again. The new DVR doesn't quite work and we've lost our surround sound so all these speakers are useless. The new remote and this whole new system are weird. I'm tempted to go back to rabbit ears.

And the worst part is that the guy who worked with us yesterday told us we've been overpaying on our bill for at least two years. WAY OVERPAYING. Do we get that money back? Of course not. Better-half is furious because he's been talking to Comcast for the past two years about the crazy bill and they've told him there's no way to reduce it. We don't even have premium channels. Then the guy yesterday did. Go figure.

I ended up watching Better Call Saul on the computer last night. Haven't even looked at the homework for a Statistics class that started yesterday. I'm ready to sell everything and go live in a log cabin.

It's built into these systems. They are programmed to die. Did your family always have to buy new appliances? Probably not. Appliances lasted longer. Now new appliances die and they're dying sooner. What used to last thirty years might last five now. Any coincidence that my phone died the same day Better-half's died?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

justbee, you are in my head again! I have a five-year-old dryer that's been worked on twice so far in its short life and it's making weird noises yet again! I think my mother had her washer and dryer for at least 30 years. Don't even ask how many dishwashers we've had to replace (although I have to admit that those are one modern convenience I really have gotten hooked on, especially now that we actually have real meals with real food that dirties real dishes).

I have to say I'm sorry about your cable hassles, but you did make me feel better. I've been lamenting living in the boonies (okay, we're actually only about ten miles from town, but it's a dinky little town) with no cable for tv or internet. I hate, hate, hate dealing with customer service of any kind, but the satellite people most of all. My husband used to do all that, but his hearing has conveniently dwindled to almost nothing and he claims he can't hear on the phone. (I need a 'suspicious' smiley here) But it sounds like the cable companies are just as bad. I've heard this from others as well. Apparently we're not missing out by not living in the city anymore.

Now this is really freaky--my phone just rang while I was typing this and it was a recording from the satellite company wanting me to take a two-question survey based on my recent customer service experience. When I tried to answer their questions (you had to speak a number from 1-9), the recording kept saying it couldn't understand my response! That's what I've been trying to tell them all along: "You don't understand what I'm saying!!!"

Wanna go in halfsies on that cabin?

Honored Contributor
On 3/3/2015 geezerette said:

justbee, you are in my head again! I have a five-year-old dryer that's been worked on twice so far in its short life and it's making weird noises yet again! I think my mother had her washer and dryer for at least 30 years. Don't even ask how many dishwashers we've had to replace (although I have to admit that those are one modern convenience I really have gotten hooked on, especially now that we actually have real meals with real food that dirties real dishes).

I have to say I'm sorry about your cable hassles, but you did make me feel better. I've been lamenting living in the boonies (okay, we're actually only about ten miles from town, but it's a dinky little town) with no cable for tv or internet. I hate, hate, hate dealing with customer service of any kind, but the satellite people most of all. My husband used to do all that, but his hearing has conveniently dwindled to almost nothing and he claims he can't hear on the phone. (I need a 'suspicious' smiley here) But it sounds like the cable companies are just as bad. I've heard this from others as well. Apparently we're not missing out by not living in the city anymore.

Now this is really freaky--my phone just rang while I was typing this and it was a recording from the satellite company wanting me to take a two-question survey based on my recent customer service experience. When I tried to answer their questions (you had to speak a number from 1-9), the recording kept saying it couldn't understand my response! That's what I've been trying to tell them all along: "You don't understand what I'm saying!!!"

Wanna go in halfsies on that cabin?

I had to listen to Better-half repeat the same words over and over again when he was on the phone with Comcast. Maybe they have trouble understanding words spoken through clenched teeth.

Regular Contributor
Hello all. Stay warm and safe. It sounds like many people will be snowed in today. A good day for compacting.
Respected Contributor
Yes, be safe out there. Nothing like a snow day. My company closed today and I was thankful. Funny how it takes me back to my school days.
Respected Contributor
dp
Honored Contributor

We may be done with our snowy winter throw-back: Looks like spring has sprung. The early budders and bloomers are out there and we're looking at temps in the 60s and even 70s next week.

Then we'll have a blizzard in April.

Valued Contributor

Since the Derm said I need to go fragrance free, and I had some CeraVe coupons, I headed over to Target this morning to look at the F/F products.

Well, I found some CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion and Renewing SA Lotion on clearance!

Yes, I stocked up. I got four 8 oz bottles of the Moisturizing Lotion @ $1.99 each and four 8 oz bottles of Renewing SA Lotion @ $4.24 each after my coupons, and I used my Red Card for 5% off!

Plus, I got four $2.00 coupons that don't expire until 12/31/15!

Yes, I realize I didn't really need 8 bottles of lotion, but I couldn't pass this up. Wink