Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

A gentle reminder that Spring is just around the corner...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor
Good morning! My DH and I will be moving in about 6 months, so I will really need to use up a lot of items from my stash. While its not too bad, I certainly don't want to pack up a bunch of sample size items and opened bottles of shampoos, etc. We now live in the Midwest and will be moving to just bees home state! Looking forward to it!
Honored Contributor
On 3/1/2015 sundrops said: Good morning! My DH and I will be moving in about 6 months, so I will really need to use up a lot of items from my stash. While its not too bad, I certainly don't want to pack up a bunch of sample size items and opened bottles of shampoos, etc. We now live in the Midwest and will be moving to just bees home state! Looking forward to it!

Lucky you--especially after this winter so many of us have been experiencing! You'll soon be living up to your screen name, too!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I hope you enjoy your new home.

Wish I could do the same...Wink

Super Contributor
geezerette, it was LAST winter that pushed my hubs to get out of here. Exciting but scary--we are going there with no jobs lined up. We should be ok though. Thinking positively.
Valued Contributor

Happy March Everyone!

Well it seems the Dermatologist is causing me to do more ComPacting. I've been told I need to go fragrance free (no synthetic or natural fragrance, essential oil etc) from "top to bottom" (laundry, bath, skincare, shampoo, conditioner, etc).{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

As some of you may remember, I'm really stocked up on everything, and have been trying to whittle down the stashes "one by one".

Though he's not trilled about it, my S/O will be getting all my fragranced shower gel, bar soap and shampoo. He will not use hair conditioner or body lotion.

If anyone has a fragrance free line that you really love, I'd like to hear about it please.

Valued Contributor

Good news!

I found a food pantry that will take hair conditioner and a ministry for the homeless that will take hair conditioner and body lotion. I'm so glad these things will be put to use and not wasted.

Super Contributor
On 3/1/2015 Eager2Learn said:

Happy March Everyone!

Well it seems the Dermatologist is causing me to do more ComPacting. I've been told I need to go fragrance free (no synthetic or natural fragrance, essential oil etc) from "top to bottom" (laundry, bath, skincare, shampoo, conditioner, etc).{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

As some of you may remember, I'm really stocked up on everything, and have been trying to whittle down the stashes "one by one".

Though he's not trilled about it, my S/O will be getting all my fragranced shower gel, bar soap and shampoo. He will not use hair conditioner or body lotion.

If anyone has a fragrance free line that you really love, I'd like to hear about it please.

I use lots of fragrance free products due to allergies. Dove sensitive skin bar soap is nice and it's unscented. Lots of drugstore brands make unscented body lotion. I am using Jergens fragrance free right now but other brands that I've used in the past are Curel, Aveeno, Eucerin, and Neutrogena. Neutrogena also has unscented facial moisturizers. I've used Burt's Bees sensitive skin unscented night cream before and I liked it. I know all of Clinique facial care products are unscented as well. I haven't had much luck finding unscented hair products but I've heard of a brand called nonscents that has unscented hair products. I don't know how well they work but you could check them out. I think you have to order from their website. You can probably find fragrance free hairspray at the drugstore. For laundry, I like all fragrance free, downy fragrance free, and bounce dryer sheets in fragrance free. Most things that aren't fragranced will say something along the lines of them being for sensitive skin. Good luck finding new products; it can definitely be challenging at times. I love all the smell good bath products and lotions but I just can't use them due to allergies.

Regular Contributor
Hello All. So I have a bit of a dilemma. A good friend of mine asked me at least four times if I would like some raspberry plants. Each time I responded with an empathic NO. I hate the look of those plants. So yesterday he stops by with a house warming/50th birthday present. You guessed it--a potted raspberry bush for the patio. What would would all of you do in this situation? Also do any of you think this gift is a bit on the mean side?
Regular Contributor
Hi Eagertolearn. The same thing happened to me in 2012. It what started me Compacting. I like Josie Maran's unscented body butters and her Argon oil. I use Cetaphil products. If the allergy involves scratchy scalp, try oiling your scalp once a week. It worked for me. Also my skin did get better and I am able to use scented products on my good days. Good luck.