Respected Contributor

I have one purchase coming in July and then, it is a no buy on skincare/mu. I need to call it to keep myself honest. In August, I am going to allow myself a couple of purchases from Isomers since it is their anniversary show, however, strictly on the items I want to try and only if they are offered at great prices.   So, August will be a low-buy.

Over the long weekend, I pulled a few storage bins out of their hiding places and am going to start going through them.  Unfortunately, my collectibles are worth nothing and I am not sure what to do with them. I guess nothing for now since I am not ready to peel that bandaid.  However, I read on one site where one lady was contemplating on keeping the boxes because of course they are worth more, but then she looked up how much they were selling for and it wasnt worth keeping the boxes around.  While I have looked up some of my stuff up in the past, I thought this approach was interesting because at least  I can start to condense my stuff.  Something to think about.  Those with collectibles, what would you do?

One story I have to share.  My mom had a new neighbor move in to their neighborhood.  This neighbor had to take a ton of their clothes to a storage unit because they didnt have the room to fit them all in their new place. Just wow.  No judgment, of course.  I am still decluttering years later and it has been a lifetime of it, but all I could think was, boy these sales and marketing people sure do their jobs well.  They have us all thinking that more is better and that carrot keeps dangling. Those storage units are expensive.

It just makes you realize, when you think you are alone, you are not. 

Trusted Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@kathie66 wrote:

Happy Fourth All!

I recently bought the Philosophy July TSV with the 6 oz. collection of shower gels. Have already given 3 away as gifts. Did I need it? Absolutely not.

Not nothing much else new to report, except went to Mally's 10th Anniversary at QVC and had lots of fun. Received lots of great makeup products and had a great time with my dear friend who went with me.  So that was my fun for June and it was a blast!

Still fighting the urge to buy. Resisted the Borghese TSV with that pretty jar, lotion and scrub. Sat on my hands that day!

Makeup is still out of control. Bath and Body is not perfect but better than it was. Handsoap is still my best victory. No new handsoap for so long now. The stash is almost all gone.

Gave another bag of clothes to a friend, and another waiting to get donated. Lots more to go thru in this area. Hope to accomplish more in this area as in summer I work less hours a day.

Still working on weeding my makeup down, and trying out one palette a week,getting rid of what I don't like.  Still going strong on my Project Pan with my Laura Geller Blush Palette. I'm on my last one in the palette. Thanks Osharegirl for the idea! (Read about your bug story my friend, its made me think twice about how many palettes I have).

Here's to a wonderful July to all. Kathie

I would love to attend one of Mally's shows.  I'm glad you had fun.

Thank you!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Trusted Contributor

How is everyone doing?

I had bought the Borghese TSV with the supersize mud, scrub and lotion. I had never tried the line before but due to all of the love for it and raves.....and since it was "such a good deal!" I went overboard and bought 2 of the kits. Well, I've been using one of them. It's nice but nothing overly special....wasn't wowed by it after using each item a few times. I confess that the "limitied special offer" pretty jar that could be reused really drew me into the purchase. However, a couple months ago at Bath and Body Works, an employee mentioned to me how she reuses the 3 wick candle jars. Last week, I used up one and cleaned out the jar, it works great to hold my brushes!!! Do I really need a "prettier" version in a different glass container? Nope! Last night, I packed it up and they are being dropped off at the post office to return them. Now, I can cross off that brand from the list of things that just don't wow me enough to buy again. I know others have had great success with them but just not for me. Live and learn.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Happy July 1, ladies.  I am still compacting, but really intimidated with this new forum format.  I am definitely a creature of habit.  Thank you all for your postings.  I am still a work in progress.  I still do not need any beauty items.  I am still using what I have. I have 2 bags of clothes to drop off at the women's shelter, so I am plugging along.   I hope everyone else is doing well.  Thanks, JustBee, for keeping the ComPact going, as I appreciate everyone's efforts, suggestions of what works for them, etc. 

Ya gotta hook up with geezerette.  She'll show ya the ropes.  She's turning into a high tech wizard.  Rumor has it she's working on a start-up called Apricot.

You have no idea how ridiculously funny that statement is.  I'm such a "tech wizard" that I didn't realize you have to float each of these Compact threads when the month changes and you start another one.  I was wondering why nobody had been posting lately.  Duh!

Respected Contributor
hi everyone, just dropping in to say hello.

FindingmyJoy, I am burning my candles so I can use the jars for that purpose. So funny you should mention it. I dont normally burn candles much anymore and I am tired of looking at the two I have so I am making a point to burn one every night. Those are the perfect size for brushes, I think.
Respected Contributor
Geezertette, too funny. Well, you helped me out so you are a wizard in my book.
Valued Contributor

So many good points to remember.  Thanks for posting, April.  I think this would be beneficial for a lot of us.  I continue to revisit my stash, but reorganizing it really emphasizes how much you actually have.  When the clothes don't fit in the closets or drawers, maybe you don't need more.  Seems so elementary, but yet I struggle.

Trusted Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I'm still on a no-buy for eyeshadows.  That bug killed any desire to buy a new eyeshadow palette.  I guess I should thank the bug.

Thank for you sharing the story regarding the bug in the old eyeshadow. I'm going to hold on to that story to prevent myself from being tempted to buy new eye pallettes. I have plenty already in my stash and shouldn't buy anymore but gosh darn it, they are too pretty!

I've been trying to find out what kind of bug it was.  It's not a weevil that's found in flour. I saw a picture of that and it's not it.  But the more I researched, the more freaked out I got.  There's something called a psocid that's found in papers.  They are attracted to mold.  It could have been that, but the bug was so tiny I couldn't really identify it.  But the word "mold" is all I need to hear.  I tossed another palette that was the same age as the buggy one.  I'm not taking any chances.  Especially when I have newer palettes with similar colors.  I also tossed a gel eyeliner that was past it's expiration date.  I hated washing the brush after every use and I'm not taking any chances with my eyes.  I'm supposed to get LASIK next month and the last thing I need is an eye infection from old makeup.

The rowing machine arrived and DH set it up!  It's been so good to exercise again.  

Valued Contributor

Well, I was surprised to see so many with your eyes on the Borghese TSV's.  This was something I kept seeing mentioned in the boards and, of course, I needed it also.  I am glad that I resisted and now don't feel I 'need' it.  My stash is still so full of things I really, really needed.  I continue to be amazed at how slow I am to use things up.  I have several pretty candles, also, that I can start burning and have pretty brush containers on my vanity.  Have a good weekend, ladies.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls, just checking in here. 

Not really doing a lot over here, not using up a lot, but not really buying much either.......yet. I'm really hoping that I can resist all the SKINN special prices this week. I bought several of his kits in the past and really wasn't wowed by anything, but I did like one of his serums. I don't need anything, I'd like to just get the one serum, not a whole kit. I'll scope out the prices, but unless it's a massively good price or something I'll actually use, I'm going to try to hold out. The lure of the bargain is so strong!

I did help my hubby clean out his pole barn a little bit on Monday. That's like a once a year project and it gets pretty nasty. He didn't get rid of a ton of stuff, but he did let go of a few things, so I was happy about that, and it did get swept out and cleaned some. I don't usually even go in there, I try to avoid it because it's so gross. So while it's not perfect, it's a lot better than it was, so that's nice.