Honored Contributor

@sundrops wrote:
Hi, just bee. We got in late Thurs morning. Been busy with groceries, errands, etc. We have nice people around us. Our dog is still getting used to the new place. Comcast just left and Direct TV is due in a couple of hours. Movers are due tomorrow or Monday. Everything going nicely. Love it here so far. (Because we're not working yet---lol)

Well, allow me to repeat something I said to The Proclaimers when I bumped into them at a T-shirt kiosk at a concert a few years ago.

"WELCOME TO ALBUQUERQUE!"

Better-half still mocks me for that one.

But you're coming in at the right time.  I don't want to jinx it, but we had the most beautiful spring this year.  And summer is shaping up pretty well, too.  Temperatures have been lower than usual and we're getting some much-needed moisture.  The bugs and weeds are so happy!

You have plenty of time to settle in and prepare for fall in the high desert.  Mark your calendar: Balloon Fiesta will be here before you know it.  Make room in your freezer for roasted green chile.  Stock up on your favorite lip balm and keep one in your pocket at all times: It's the law.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I can't believe I'm sitting here watching a TV commercial for adult coloring books.  Have these replaced vodka?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Vodka is much more fun.

Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- July

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

I can't believe I'm sitting here watching a TV commercial for adult coloring books.  Have these replaced vodka?

Barnes and Noble has many clearance priced.  I bought one!  They are supposed to be great for destressing.  The next time I am at Target, I am going to buy a BIG box of crayons.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

Hi, friends.

My MIL's visit is over, and she returned home safely.  The visit did not go as I had hoped.  It went like it normally does - not well.  To explain everything, my post would be incredibly long and probably boring.  However, I will pass along a few things I learned.

I finally know why my MIL will not move.  It is because of her things.  What things?  Not furniture.  She has a manageable amount of furniture.  It is because of her collectibles.  She has loads of things.  Dolls, painted plates, glasses, figurines, etc.  She asked that each of her kids bring a truck (a truck!!) to her home and take what they want.  The problem is that they want none of it, plus it's a 16 hour drive one way.  My MIL believes that this stuff is valuable.  She doesn't want to sell, donate, or throw it out.  She doesn't want to pay someone to pack it up and move the things.  My MIL said that she has lived in her house for more than 40 years, and it is going to take time to figure out what she is going to do with everything.  There is very little time left.

Here is what else I have learned.  All of the lotions and potions to keep the skin looking good mean nothing if you do not take care of your physical health.  My MIL comes from a family that lives a very long time.  Her father was almost 100 yo when he died.  She has siblings in their 90's who are doing well.  The difference is that they have family nearby to keep them active.  My MIL's only physical problem is with her mobility.  I think this could be improved with physical therapy and social interaction.  My DD was so affected by her grandmother's mobility problems that one night when I was trying to fall asleep she came into my room, curled up next to me, and begged me to exercise everyday.  Not every other day.  Everyday.  DD also said that she has never been so motivated to exercise and eat right.  I feel the same way.  To remain fit, I think it takes more than 30-60 minutes of cardio and strength training.  It must be a planned, daily effort to stay strong.  I have started doing little things throughout the day.  For example, sometimes I will stand in front of the stairs and fall forward, catch myself on a step, then push myself back up.  I'll repeat this 20 times.  After filling the washer, I do short knee bends on one leg at a time.  I am incorporating anything like this into my daily life just to stay strong.  After my post, I am going to stretch.

On the ComPacting front, no empties to report.  I am getting closer and am about to toss some hair products.

Paws and enjoy life.
Regular Contributor
Hello All,
I have just returned from an 18 day trip back to visit family that are 1500 miles away. Good news is that I brought out a trunk load of stuff and gave it to family. The funny story, and not in a good way funny, was the full set of pots and pans that I brought out. During my garage cleaning frenzy I got rid of a set of Faberware pans. I knew from looking at pans in at Macy's that Faberware was made in China and I wanted made in the USA pans. So as my family was looking at them I noticed the made in the USA stamp. Who know that 13 years ago Faberware was made in the USA. So back home they came. I hauled a set of pans over 3000 miles. I also helped my best friend clean a little bit in her house. Her house looks like a house on Hoarders. It was so sad. Again made me realize that stuff is just stuff, and in her case that stuff is making her and her husband unhealthy.
I enjoyed catching up with all your stories
Trusted Contributor

Dosey - Sorry to hear that the MIL visit didn't go as well as you had hoped. It's good that seeing her helped give you an extra push to keep in better shape! Being in shape definitely impacts quality of life in later years. A good example I just saw this weekend = grocery shopping there was an older woman riding around the store one one of those scooter shopping carts? She looked overly frail. This morning, I went for a nice hike at a local park. I saw an older woman just zipping along walking with her nordic hiking poles with a huge smile on her face. I want to be that woman when I'm her age! Please no scooter for me!!

Trusted Contributor

DL2843 - That is an interesting story regarding your pans. I bet there are a lot of brands that once upon a time were proudly made in the USA but now are shipped overseas for cheaper labor. It's nice that you helped your friend clean her house. I'm sure she appreciated your help!

I did a little decluttering this weekend. I went thru my eyeshadows. I threw out all of my older shadows that I have similar colors in newer palletes. The interesting thing was that it was 5 different duos/trios that I threw out. In all of them, only 1 of the shades had been used a lot. The other colors looked barely touched and these were at least 2 years old so should have been used but weren't. What a waste of product. I also threw out 2 pairs of pajamas that had been majorly loved in summers past but should have been thrown out when I bought new pajamas this Spring. I need to start enforcing the rule that if something comes in, a comparable old item needs to go out!

Supersize product story, I always think these supersize deals are SUCH good deals!!! But I just threw out a M Asam Vino Gold cream due to it was a jumbo that was purchased well over a year ago and was never used up. I had used it occasionally thru the months but today I opened it up and realized the scent seemed off? So no hesitation, I opened it up, threw out the remaining cream and put the container for recycling. The "good" deal wasn't such a great deal when I had only used up half of it before it went bad?

I did make a beauty purchase - the Foreo cleaning gadget.....I've had and loved my Clarisonic for years but I know it's on its last legs and will need to be replaced. The reviews of the Foreo interested me due to several compared it to the Clarisonic but loved it more due to no extra expense of buying replacement brushes? I will give it a good try when I get it to see if it will work as a replacement for the Clarisonic or if I will end up returning it and saving for the next Clarisonic TSV. HOWEVER!!! I'm still holding strong on my no buy of any lotions, potions, shower gels or skincare this month!! wooohoooo! we're past half way!!

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Dosey - Sorry to hear that the MIL visit didn't go as well as you had hoped. It's good that seeing her helped give you an extra push to keep in better shape! Being in shape definitely impacts quality of life in later years. A good example I just saw this weekend = grocery shopping there was an older woman riding around the store one one of those scooter shopping carts? She looked overly frail. This morning, I went for a nice hike at a local park. I saw an older woman just zipping along walking with her nordic hiking poles with a huge smile on her face. I want to be that woman when I'm her age! Please no scooter for me!!

Interesting observation last week.  I joke about all the geriatric bands that have been on tour, but I have to say that the musicians are all in much better shape than their fans.  And to think that they probably put themselves through some terrible abuse in the early days.  Ah, the resiliency of the human body.  But what do parents tell their children?  Don't be like Keith Richards -- you'll live forever!

Honored Contributor

The barn owl saga continues!  I'm going to miss this family once they all leave home.

How did such homely little creatures turn into such beautiful owls?