Contributor

Hi all! Happy New Year!

We are in the process of making an offer on a house that is quite a bit more space than we need. However, I am determined to not fill it up. Thrilled DH will have a mancave with the TV (I never watch) and I'll have a home office (which I can use).

Since we will be still paying off the car and some school loans, there won't be a chance of too much stuff coming in this year. It will be good to have space for the things that count though!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

DL2843-I so understand about the throws! My mother in law is always giving my kids blankets, pillows, sheets, towels, etc. We get overrun with them too! How many blankets does she think one kid can use? Every year or two I just donate the older ones that we don't use anymore.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I went thru my Christmas "stuff". Got everything put away for the year and organized everything in totes and labeled them. I only found 2 small items to donate but did end up throwing out 4 boxes of old ornaments. They were the old multi colored glass bulb type ornaments and had gotten all foggy and discolored. I'm not sure why that happened, but I did know that I would never want to put them out on the tree, I didn't even want to donate them. I still have about 7 totes of "stuff" but it's all stuff that I like and is nice and it's all neatly in my basement out of the way.

Now I have to pick my next room for the ORC. My employer is making changes in my department, I now work part time and everyone has to go to full time, or find another position and we all have to re-apply for our positions. Part time jobs are extremely hard to come by, but I don't want to work 5 days a week either. I'm really between a rock and a hard place right now. If I want to work, it might have to be full time, at least for a while. So very soon I might not have any time for organizing and decluttering, it will be all I can do to keep up with the basics like laundry, groceries and sweeping.

So I want to do as much as I can these next couple of weeks while I still have some time. Then again, I might not get a full time job and might be unemployed all together and have all the time in the world. I should know in a couple of weeks.

Honored Contributor
On 1/4/2015 DL2843 said: Hi. Thanks for the responses. I have resisted a separate case for loyalty cards because it would mean remembering to switch two items to a bag rather than one. On days when I know I am not shopping I just take some cash out of the wallet and put it in my purse. I want the new iPhone 6 plus but am worried about a larger phone not fitting into my bags.

If you have a smartphone you can use an App for all your loyalty cards so you won't need to carry them with you

https://www.keyringapp.com/ this is the one I use

Valued Contributor

I took a cosmetic bag from my stash of many and use it for rainchecks, giftcards, and I have a small key ring that holds all those loyalty cards. It has been very handy to have all those items in the same case. It was just a cheap cosmetic case and has held up great and I can just toss it all in my tote bag when I head out to go shopping. When it wears out, I still have plenty in my stash.

Honored Contributor

Another thing about carrying the loyalty cards: If you don't want to carry so many and don't have a smartphone, many places will give you your discounts without the card or app if you just tell them your phone number. I've been in line behind many a person (usually a man!) that has forgotten their card and the checker simply takes the telephone number that was originally linked to their discount card.

Honored Contributor
On 1/5/2015 rnmom said:

My employer is making changes in my department, I now work part time and everyone has to go to full time, or find another position and we all have to re-apply for our positions. Part time jobs are extremely hard to come by, but I don't want to work 5 days a week either. I'm really between a rock and a hard place right now. If I want to work, it might have to be full time, at least for a while. So very soon I might not have any time for organizing and decluttering, it will be all I can do to keep up with the basics like laundry, groceries and sweeping.

So I want to do as much as I can these next couple of weeks while I still have some time. Then again, I might not get a full time job and might be unemployed all together and have all the time in the world. I should know in a couple of weeks.

I hear ya! Working full-time and being in school -- again -- is bringing me down BIG time. I had two weeks off for Christmas break and it felt great not having to think about homework, group projects, research papers. But working 12.5-hour shifts is a challenge because that's really all one can accomplish. You get up, get ready, drive to work, work, drive home from work, go to sleep. I work one day shift and two night shifts, so my schedule is always a period of adjustment.

School starts back up today and I'm dreading it. I had so many things I wanted to accomplish during the two-week break from school, but I couldn't get it all done. I just needed some downtime. I wanted to enjoy not having to do.

But the projects don't go away -- they just get bigger. That's why this year I'm forcing myself back into the habit of "fifteen minutes." There may be days when I can only devote five minutes, but five is better than nothing. Yup, time management. Because I need to find time for fun. I miss fun.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
On 1/5/2015 geezerette said:

Another thing about carrying the loyalty cards: If you don't want to carry so many and don't have a smartphone, many places will give you your discounts without the card or app if you just tell them your phone number. I've been in line behind many a person (usually a man!) that has forgotten their card and the checker simply takes the telephone number that was originally linked to their discount card.

Yup. That's Better-half. He doesn't tote cards. He just gives 'em a number. While I'm hunting for the card in my wallet. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor