Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- December

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I really like the tv stands with the fireplaces. Great way to add a fireplace to a room. 

They come with a remote so you can crank up the heat.  An interesting concept, but I would end up watching the fireplace instead of the TV.  I'm thinking TV stand with wet bar.  Or TV stand with slurpee maker.  TV stand with pizza oven?

My new TV is still in the box.  I must have looked at every TV stand there is online and I finally found one I really liked.  It was an interesting piece of furniture.  But then I realized the thing was over 30 inches tall.

Came home from work this morning and found an email from Better-half: He ordered one and provided a photo.  Have no idea when it will arrive.  Now I have to arrange for the old TV to be taken away.  Maybe they can take the possessed microwave, too.

I hope you like it. I think that TV will be so nice once you set it up. That is a great size. If you get surround sound, it will be like you are at the movies.  Enjoy it.  Let us know how the #%%$&&@ thing works out.  LOL

Respected Contributor

This weekend I think I am going to declutter my mu brushes.  I have gotten rid of some but I have a hard time parting with them.  I just love mu brushes and I seem to keep buying them.  I am going to attempt giving some away and/or finding another purpose for them. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Australian Kelpie, really?  I'm impressed.  They're gorgeous.  I've always thought they looked a little like a large fox, or a cleaned-up version of one of the original dog species.  I don't think I've ever actually seen one in person, though.  You're right--no need for a Rottie to keep you in shape, I'm sure he/she already does that sufficiently.  That is, unless you have some sheep to keep him/her occupied.

Oh, we skipped the cat clock craze, thankfully.  Cat LOL

You are talking to someone who owns this:

purse

Okay, I give up.  What the heck IS this?

This... if I'm not mistaken... was ordered from QVC and is a clock purse.  Sick with jealousy, aren't you?  Now you know why I stopped carrying purses.

-----------------

A little girl may love that. Such a novelty item.  Could be  fun. 

But, yes, LOL, the things we have bought.  you gotta love it. 

It probably was.  In the 80s.  When I bought it.

(I can hear you all asking, "And why do you still have it?")

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I really like the tv stands with the fireplaces. Great way to add a fireplace to a room. 

They come with a remote so you can crank up the heat.  An interesting concept, but I would end up watching the fireplace instead of the TV.  I'm thinking TV stand with wet bar.  Or TV stand with slurpee maker.  TV stand with pizza oven?

My new TV is still in the box.  I must have looked at every TV stand there is online and I finally found one I really liked.  It was an interesting piece of furniture.  But then I realized the thing was over 30 inches tall.

Came home from work this morning and found an email from Better-half: He ordered one and provided a photo.  Have no idea when it will arrive.  Now I have to arrange for the old TV to be taken away.  Maybe they can take the possessed microwave, too.

I hope you like it. I think that TV will be so nice once you set it up. That is a great size. If you get surround sound, it will be like you are at the movies.  Enjoy it.  Let us know how the #%%$&&@ thing works out.  LOL

We've had our 65" for 15 years so I figured we should stick to the same size.  I imagine the picture quality should be better.  We'll see.  I need to get it up and running before the new season of Better Call Saul...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

So as soon as Magic 99.5 starts playing Christmas music, I tune in.  I'll start the favorites list (in no particular order).

1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas -- Judy Garland

2. The Christmas Song -- Nat King Cole

3. White Christmas -- Bing Crosby (I've always liked the album and most of the songs on it are favorites, including Silver Bells, It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas, Christmas in Killarney, and -- guilty pleasure -- Mele Kalikimaka.)

4. Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy -- Bing Crosby & David Bowie

5. Winter Wonderland -- Eurythmics (Annie Lennox makes it special)

I'll list favorite traditional carols (like Carol of the Bells) later...

YOUR TURN!

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Australian Kelpie, really?  I'm impressed.  They're gorgeous.  I've always thought they looked a little like a large fox, or a cleaned-up version of one of the original dog species.  I don't think I've ever actually seen one in person, though.  You're right--no need for a Rottie to keep you in shape, I'm sure he/she already does that sufficiently.  That is, unless you have some sheep to keep him/her occupied.

kelpie

I was doing my nursing assistant clinicals in a dismal nursing home -- a truly awful place.  We had lost our Boxermatians (Boxer/Dalmatian brother and sister) to diabetes and bladder cancer and I promised after the crushing expense (after our boy was diagnosed with diabetes, he went blind -- so we had new lenses implanted so he could see his sister) that I would not actively pursue adoption of a new puppy.  I went two years without a dog.  Every day I'd drive home from the horrid nursing home and pray for a dog.

One day I opened the garage door to go to work and there was a dog.  We searched for his owner, yet no one claimed him.  He had a peculiar habit of herding me.  Clearly, he mistook me for livestock.  He began nipping the insides of my forearms.  I had to take the state exam to get certified as a nursing assistant and I was afraid they would see my arms and assume I was a heroin addict.  It was grim.  Would he have to go?

We worked with him and he stopped perforating me.  He has turned out to be the most wonderful dog.  I'd move to Australia just to be around kelpies.

kelpies

Here we go again with our life similarities, as my situation sounds much like yours, although our outcomes are different.  A couple of years ago a beautiful big black Lab followed my husband home from his walk one day.   The dog of my dreams.  She was perfect, aside from being thin and full of parasites, inside and out.  She was superbly trained too, except that she chased cars (we figured that’s how she ended up lost).  We kept her for several weeks trying to find her owner because clearly she must belong to someone.  No dice.  We contemplated keeping her since she fit in well—except for the fact that she was young, big and wanted to play and our dog was old, little and sick.  And she also wanted to kill our cat, which he did not appreciate.  It was a heart wrenching decision to give her up, but I felt that I just couldn’t handle all three of them at the time.  If I had had just the dog or just the cat, with time I could have trained her to deal with them, but the triad was too much for me.  This may sound odd, but I believe that The Powers That Be had sent her to us to be there when our old dog passed away and when I gave her up I lost my chance at ever having that “perfect dog” again.  That seems to be what happened.

Even before our dog passed on, she had been ill for so long that I kept saying I didn’t want another dog, period.  I had neither the desire nor energy.  But as the months without her went on, I started to think that maybe I had one more dog in me.  But I wanted to rescue an older, senior dog (calm and quiet).  My husband said if we got another dog he wanted a pure-bred puppy.  Initially I stubbornly said that if I couldn’t rescue an older dog I didn’t want one at all—I didn’t want a puppy, and I didn’t want to buy a dog with so many out there that needed homes.  Since we ended up with a purebred Rottweiler pup from a breeder, you can see who won that argument.

But despite her lovable nature, she’s a handful and a half.  I do see improvement, but she’s going to take a lot of work for quite a while.  I can’t help but remember that big calm Labrador Retriever and think to myself, “What if…”.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Oh, we skipped the cat clock craze, thankfully.  Cat LOL

You are talking to someone who owns this:

purse

Okay, I give up.  What the heck IS this?

This... if I'm not mistaken... was ordered from QVC and is a clock purse.  Sick with jealousy, aren't you?  Now you know why I stopped carrying purses.

Yup, that's me all right--sick with jealousy.  Or just sick.

Honored Contributor

Three weeks from today!  I have Christmas music on the radio, my wreath on the door and nog in the fridge.  Let the holiday season begin!

nog

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

So as soon as Magic 99.5 starts playing Christmas music, I tune in.  I'll start the favorites list (in no particular order).

1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas -- Judy Garland

2. The Christmas Song -- Nat King Cole

3. White Christmas -- Bing Crosby (I've always liked the album and most of the songs on it are favorites, including Silver Bells, It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas, Christmas in Killarney, and -- guilty pleasure -- Mele Kalikimaka.)

4. Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy -- Bing Crosby & David Bowie

5. Winter Wonderland -- Eurythmics (Annie Lennox makes it special)

I'll list favorite traditional carols (like Carol of the Bells) later...

YOUR TURN!

Little Drummer Boy is one of my absolute favorites, and strangely, Toby Keith does a killer version, but I like him anyway so I may be biased.  There are so many I like, mostly the traditional songs, carols and religious, but I have to add Mannheim Steamroller to the list too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

kelpie

I was doing my nursing assistant clinicals in a dismal nursing home -- a truly awful place.  We had lost our Boxermatians (Boxer/Dalmatian brother and sister) to diabetes and bladder cancer and I promised after the crushing expense (after our boy was diagnosed with diabetes, he went blind -- so we had new lenses implanted so he could see his sister) that I would not actively pursue adoption of a new puppy.  I went two years without a dog.  Every day I'd drive home from the horrid nursing home and pray for a dog.

One day I opened the garage door to go to work and there was a dog.  We searched for his owner, yet no one claimed him.  He had a peculiar habit of herding me.  Clearly, he mistook me for livestock.  He began nipping the insides of my forearms.  I had to take the state exam to get certified as a nursing assistant and I was afraid they would see my arms and assume I was a heroin addict.  It was grim.  Would he have to go?

We worked with him and he stopped perforating me.  He has turned out to be the most wonderful dog.  I'd move to Australia just to be around kelpies.

kelpies

Here we go again with our life similarities, as my situation sounds much like yours, although our outcomes are different.  A couple of years ago a beautiful big black Lab followed my husband home from his walk one day.   The dog of my dreams.  She was perfect, aside from being thin and full of parasites, inside and out.  She was superbly trained too, except that she chased cars (we figured that’s how she ended up lost).  We kept her for several weeks trying to find her owner because clearly she must belong to someone.  No dice.  We contemplated keeping her since she fit in well—except for the fact that she was young, big and wanted to play and our dog was old, little and sick.  And she also wanted to kill our cat, which he did not appreciate.  It was a heart wrenching decision to give her up, but I felt that I just couldn’t handle all three of them at the time.  If I had had just the dog or just the cat, with time I could have trained her to deal with them, but the triad was too much for me.  This may sound odd, but I believe that The Powers That Be had sent her to us to be there when our old dog passed away and when I gave her up I lost my chance at ever having that “perfect dog” again.  That seems to be what happened.

Even before our dog passed on, she had been ill for so long that I kept saying I didn’t want another dog, period.  I had neither the desire nor energy.  But as the months without her went on, I started to think that maybe I had one more dog in me.  But I wanted to rescue an older, senior dog (calm and quiet).  My husband said if we got another dog he wanted a pure-bred puppy.  Initially I stubbornly said that if I couldn’t rescue an older dog I didn’t want one at all—I didn’t want a puppy, and I didn’t want to buy a dog with so many out there that needed homes.  Since we ended up with a purebred Rottweiler pup from a breeder, you can see who won that argument.

But despite her lovable nature, she’s a handful and a half.  I do see improvement, but she’s going to take a lot of work for quite a while.  I can’t help but remember that big calm Labrador Retriever and think to myself, “What if…”.

I have a Christmas gift for you and for all who have loved Labs.  This is an essay about Chester.  Another favorite...

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,457373,00.html