Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2015 -- December

@geezerette wrote:

Dosey,

Congratulations to your son!  I guess the cost of college has really gotten crazy the last few years.  You must be very proud of him.

Your comments about Christmas shopping make me feel glad that we don't do much for the holidays and that I just yesterday gave out my last Christmas gifts.  Now, I have to get busy with the cards, but I only send out a couple of dozen now, so I should be able to get them out before the 25th--but you never know!

My mother had a theory about the holidays.  She felt that holidays were to be spent at home.  I later realized that what she meant was that people should settle into the bunker and keep a low profile.  The older I get, the more I like this idea.  Keep it simple, keep it quiet, keep it peaceful.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Dosey,

Congratulations to your son!  I guess the cost of college has really gotten crazy the last few years.  You must be very proud of him.

Your comments about Christmas shopping make me feel glad that we don't do much for the holidays and that I just yesterday gave out my last Christmas gifts.  Now, I have to get busy with the cards, but I only send out a couple of dozen now, so I should be able to get them out before the 25th--but you never know!

My mother had a theory about the holidays.  She felt that holidays were to be spent at home.  I later realized that what she meant was that people should settle into the bunker and keep a low profile.  The older I get, the more I like this idea.  Keep it simple, keep it quiet, keep it peaceful.

You know, it is interesting.  My family no longer exchanges, only kids get presents and these days, money does the trick.  I am so grateful.  Only on Christmas and only for a quick minute do I miss the excitement of presents and then it is gone and I am over it.  Traffic lately has been a bear anywhere you go. I am so thankful I don't have to, at least, be in it trying to figure out what to get folks. I don't miss that part at all.  I have a few minor gifts to buy for friends and that is it.  I am thankful for a quieter Christmas.  I appreciate quiet, the older I get. 

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Thank you, just bee and Geezerette!  Yes, I am so proud of my son.

I have a question for everyone.  I am applying for a better job.  Lord knows I need it.  There is a job opening that I am qualified for.  The company is national and provides a service.  I would manage a department - one locally and one in another state.  Here's the problem.  The Google ratings for this company are beyond terrible.  Many of the people said that they provided the worst customer service ever.  Frustrating, horrible, dishonest, negligent, and incompetent were some of the words used to describe the service.  Some people used all caps and exclamation points.  A few of the issues sounded like IT type problems, but some were clearly due to the CSRs not being trained properly.  Would you apply for this job?  Would you look at it as a challenge?  I wish I knew if they were looking for someone to shape up the department. I would be interested in that.  If they want things to stay the same, then I am not interested.  That would be a miserable job.  What do you think?  There aren't a lot of jobs out there that pay halfway decently and do not require a specific degree, like engineering, nursing, etc.  I have a business degree but so do a bazillion other people.

If I'm not mistaken, I have always worked for second-rate organizations.  I'm a Cubs fan, so I think there's a connection here.  I have the same problem you seem to have: Maybe I can fix this.  That's the challenge.  The problem comes when you realize an organization doesn't want to be fixed.  That's when you either have to leave or just stay and do your best, knowing that it won't make a bit of difference.  I say, apply for it.  If you get an interview, listen to what they have to say.  If it feels right, be honest and express your concerns.

I always resort to the basics: Make your list of pros and cons and go from there.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Dosey,

You know, it is interesting.  My family no longer exchanges, only kids get presents and these days, money does the trick.  I am so grateful.  Only on Christmas and only for a quick minute do I miss the excitement of presents and then it is gone and I am over it.  Traffic lately has been a bear anywhere you go. I am so thankful I don't have to, at least, be in it trying to figure out what to get folks. I don't miss that part at all.  I have a few minor gifts to buy for friends and that is it.  I am thankful for a quieter Christmas.  I appreciate quiet, the older I get. 

I started analyzing the stress levels of the people around me and realized that holidays should not be so miserable.  The stress takes the joy out of it.  Better-half and I haven't exchanged gifts for any holiday in years.  Not even birthdays.  When I was younger I went overboard and spent way too much on gifts.  I'd spend more on imported cards and wrap than what some people would spend on gifts.  I was giving gifts to people I didn't even like.  The urge to give still exists: That's why we have causes and charities.  Choose your causes and give responsibly.

Honored Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

On the Compacting front, I was online the other night and saw Korres had their new Sea Lavendar scent as a good priced duo. Yep, it was like I was on auto pilot - put it into shopping cart and hit Order asap before they sold out! But once I got the confirmation it was done, it hit me - what the heck was I doing? I went in and CANCELLED IT!!! If I would get it, I would feel guilt using that instead of the other multiple Korres butters I already have in my stash. I told myself that if this scent gets rave reviews, the chances are very good that some day it will be a Today Special. If/when that happens, I can think about buying it at that time. My stash should be smalled by then so I could enjoy it.

Since that was cancelled asap before it was shipped, I can say that I have not bought ANYTHING beauty related for myself!! I'm sticking to my goal of a No Buy for me. I was really proud of myself when I went to ULTA to get gift for my niece, I went in and bought just the gift. Did NOT look at any of the other temptations. Baby steps!

I looked at my easy pays, after this month, I won't have ANY at HSN!!! This is a big change since they usually draw me in with those deals. I do have 4 with QVC but that number is greatly reduced too. I think a good goal for me in 2016 will be to limit spending and using easy/flex pays.

Isn't it amazing?  It will start getting easier.  Something clicks in your mind and suddenly the shopping is less exciting.  What's exciting is opening a drawer or a closet and seeing space.  We cleaned the house before Better-half's mother came to vist and removed an ottoman from one room and a coffee table from another.  We still haven't replaced them.  They're stashed in another room right now.  Every time I walk past the room that's missing that coffee table, I can't get over how nice it looks.  One day I'll be able to see the carpet in my closets.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Dosey,

You know, it is interesting.  My family no longer exchanges, only kids get presents and these days, money does the trick.  I am so grateful.  Only on Christmas and only for a quick minute do I miss the excitement of presentsand then it is gone and I am over it.  Traffic lately has been a bear anywhere you go. I am so thankful I don't have to, at least, be in it trying to figure out what to get folks. I don't miss that part at all.  I have a few minor gifts to buy for friends and that is it.  I am thankful for a quieter Christmas.  I appreciate quiet, the older I get. 

I started analyzing the stress levels of the people around me and realized that holidays should not be so miserable.  The stress takes the joy out of it.  Better-half and I haven't exchanged gifts for any holiday in years.  Not even birthdays.  When I was younger I went overboard and spent way too much on gifts.  I'd spend more on imported cards and wrap than what some people would spend on gifts.  I was giving gifts to people I didn't even like.  The urge to give still exists: That's why we have causes and charities.  Choose your causes and give responsibly.

-----------------

I agree. I did it all at one point too, but can you imagine if everyone just donated the money, we would chip away at "hunger."  

I was at Walmart yesterday to pick up an order. What a zoo.  Of course, it was a mess.  Orders werent ready, meanwhile ready notices were sent  so you can imagine peoples moods, especially after waiting in line.  Yes, the stress  that you felt being in that space was palpable.  Certainly, not worth it. it is just stuff, but it is amazing how we get caught up in it  and it becomes everyone's focus this time of year.   Not one person was smiling. Time to get our heads out of the sand.  I think the meaning of Christmas is lost.  I can see Jesus just shaking his head. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

-----------------

I agree. I did it all at one point too, but can you imagine if everyone just donated the money, we would chip away at "hunger."  

I was at Walmart yesterday to pick up an order. What a zoo.  Of course, it was a mess.  Orders werent ready, meanwhile ready notices were sent  so you can imagine peoples moods, especially after waiting in line.  Yes, the stress  that you felt being in that space was palpable.  Certainly, not worth it. it is just stuff, but it is amazing how we get caught up in it  and it becomes everyone's focus this time of year.   Not one person was smiling. Time to get our heads out of the sand.  I think the meaning of Christmas is lost.  I can see Jesus just shaking his head. 

It's a complicated world.  I want a vibrant economy, but so much of it depends on a "successful" holiday season.  People depend on people to shop.  But too often we're left with the wrong feelings.  It's like eating an entire cheesecake by yourself.  Something's not right.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Dosey - congrats to your son. What an exciting time for him albeit a little expensive for you. Those pesky kids. The best to him.  And I would apply for that job too.  It doesnt hurt to talk with them and get a feel.  Hopefully, you can ask them questions to try and get at what kind of company/customer service they have.  Because it would be miserable if they really are terrible. 

Findingmyjoy - sounds like you are doing well with your no buy. Congrats.  It is so hard with all the sales and good buys around this time of year. 

Thank you, aprilskies!  It just hit me this morning that in only a few months my son will not be living here.  I do not like this at all.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Dosey,

You know, it is interesting.  My family no longer exchanges, only kids get presents and these days, money does the trick.  I am so grateful.  Only on Christmas and only for a quick minute do I miss the excitement of presentsand then it is gone and I am over it.  Traffic lately has been a bear anywhere you go. I am so thankful I don't have to, at least, be in it trying to figure out what to get folks. I don't miss that part at all.  I have a few minor gifts to buy for friends and that is it.  I am thankful for a quieter Christmas.  I appreciate quiet, the older I get. 

-----------------

I bought the remaining gifts on my list this morning online - Amazon and Barnes and Noble - except one.  It is a book DD wants that is available in the store, so I will pick it up in a few minutes.  Then, I will be done!!

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

On the Compacting front, I was online the other night and saw Korres had their new Sea Lavendar scent as a good priced duo. Yep, it was like I was on auto pilot - put it into shopping cart and hit Order asap before they sold out! But once I got the confirmation it was done, it hit me - what the heck was I doing? I went in and CANCELLED IT!!! If I would get it, I would feel guilt using that instead of the other multiple Korres butters I already have in my stash. I told myself that if this scent gets rave reviews, the chances are very good that some day it will be a Today Special. If/when that happens, I can think about buying it at that time. My stash should be smalled by then so I could enjoy it.

Since that was cancelled asap before it was shipped, I can say that I have not bought ANYTHING beauty related for myself!! I'm sticking to my goal of a No Buy for me. I was really proud of myself when I went to ULTA to get gift for my niece, I went in and bought just the gift. Did NOT look at any of the other temptations. Baby steps!

I looked at my easy pays, after this month, I won't have ANY at HSN!!! This is a big change since they usually draw me in with those deals. I do have 4 with QVC but that number is greatly reduced too. I think a good goal for me in 2016 will be to limit spending and using easy/flex pays.

Isn't it amazing?  It will start getting easier.  Something clicks in your mind and suddenly the shopping is less exciting.  What's exciting is opening a drawer or a closet and seeing space.  We cleaned the house before Better-half's mother came to vist and removed an ottoman from one room and a coffee table from another.  We still haven't replaced them.  They're stashed in another room right now.  Every time I walk past the room that's missing that coffee table, I can't get over how nice it looks.  One day I'll be able to see the carpet in my closets.

We removed our coffee table from the living room a few years ago.  The room is more spacious without it.

Paws and enjoy life.