Trusted Contributor
On 4/1/2015 Eager2Learn said:

Happy April Everyone!

I got rid of a bunch of products last month (32 tossed & 104 donated).

I have to admit, I think the Dermatologist was right. Replacing fragranced products with fragrance free has helped make such a difference!

This month, the only thing I'll be ushering in is fragrance free products (laundry, bath, body & hair) if I can find really good sales. Smile

You had a great month. I think you and your derm are right. I am transitioning to fragrance free products. Also, I've noticed that a lot of scents are bothering me that never used to bother me. Whenever the store has it on sale, I stock up on Arm & Hammer laundry detergent for sensitive skin. It has no dyes or perfumes. I also buy fragrance free fabric softener dryer sheets.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor
On 4/1/2015 sundrops said: Just bee, our dog is shepherd/boxer mix. Two places told us that shepherds are on the "undesirable" list along with pit bulls. Even though she is only half shepherd, she is on the list. Crazy right? We had a very tough time here last summer finding a place to rent with her.

That is crazy. Shepherds are wonderful dogs!

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor
On 4/1/2015 Dosey said:
On 4/1/2015 sundrops said: Just bee, our dog is shepherd/boxer mix. Two places told us that shepherds are on the "undesirable" list along with pit bulls. Even though she is only half shepherd, she is on the list. Crazy right? We had a very tough time here last summer finding a place to rent with her.

And everyone knows Boxers are wonderful, so this is a load of poppycock. Another example of dogs being blamed for bad dog owners' irresponsible behavior. (LOTS of that in New Mexico.)

ETA: Don't rule out NW ABQ neighborhoods like Taylor Ranch and Paradise Hills. One of the things I do like about ABQ is that there are a lot of dogs. Have you tried this side of the river?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor
On 4/1/2015 just bee said:
On 4/1/2015 Dosey said:

And everyone knows Boxers are wonderful, so this is a load of poppycock. Another example of dogs being blamed for bad dog owners' irresponsible behavior. (LOTS of that in New Mexico.)

Yes! My SIL breeds Boxers. She says that they are great family dogs.

Paws and enjoy life.
Super Contributor
Thanks for the encouragement Dosey and just bee. I'll keep the NW neighborhoods in mind. My bro and his SO lived in the NE area. We got a letter from our vet and from the PetSmart hotel where she stays saying what a good dog she is. Anything to help us. Fingers crossed.
Honored Contributor

sundrops: I feel for you and your situation, especially with her being 11 years old. As much as I'm beginning to dislike the internet and all it's begun to represent, have you tried researching pet-friendly places online before you leave for your visit? Also, what about contacting local real estate agents after you arrive? They often will have information about rentals and even if they don't deal in rentals they might be able to point you to someone who does. You might have to be flexible about the area you want (often places out of the city are more able to rent to pets, especially bigger ones) and pricing.

I'm sure you'd like to get a place lined up before you actually move there. Sometimes if you can actually speak to the owner (who may not be inclined to want your dog) and explain that she's well-trained, won't be left alone for long periods, etc. that may sway them to allow her, especially if it's not a complex that has stringent rules. And if you are willing to put down an extra security/cleaning deposit, that will often times sway an unsure property owner. (We've had luck with that in that past.)

I'm with the majority of you that say most people that move and travel with their pets have better behaved pets than most children. However, I do have to admit I'd had experience with people who have had very destructive animals, which gives everyone a black eye.

I sure hope you can find a solution. Keep us updated.

Super Contributor
Thanks for your concern, geezerette. We have already called a real estate agency. While they don't deal in rentals, they gave us 2 places that do. Those places are the ones that said our dog is on the undesirable list. They can help us when we get there. There is a mobile home park that also could be a possibility. I spoke with them. Our dog is bigger than they allow, but since she is older, they said that is in her favor. If we can't find a rental, we will probably fly back out in June and buy a place. We hate to buy in a rush. We want to rent our first year there and learn the area better. I will post when we return and let you guys know what happened.
Trusted Contributor

sundrops,

Totally feel for you and your furbaby. The extra security deposit, cleaning fee is a good idea. Let your real estate person know you are willing to do this. Also if you call about any rentals offer it yourself when asking about a property. Also check facebook for any dog lover sites in the area, and post that you are looking for a rental.

I wish you luck. I know how hard it can be, I've rented with 2 kids and a huge lab before. I've also been a landlord and let me tell you kids did much more damage to my property than a dog!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor
On 4/2/2015 sundrops said: Thanks for your concern, geezerette. We have already called a real estate agency. While they don't deal in rentals, they gave us 2 places that do. Those places are the ones that said our dog is on the undesirable list. They can help us when we get there. There is a mobile home park that also could be a possibility. I spoke with them. Our dog is bigger than they allow, but since she is older, they said that is in her favor. If we can't find a rental, we will probably fly back out in June and buy a place. We hate to buy in a rush. We want to rent our first year there and learn the area better. I will post when we return and let you guys know what happened.

When we moved out here I had a hundred pound Boxer. She looked like a brindle Bullmastiff. Old. We should have rented but we rushed into making a lot of important and expensive decisions instead. I like this house, but it was probably a mistake for us to buy it. I still think if we had rented first we wouldn't have stayed in Albuquerque.

This is really the wrong house and wrong neighborhood for us. Right now I can hear the neighbors' kids shrieking and I'm afraid to look outside and see what they're destroying. Part of me wants to sell it all and find a smaller place in a geezer community that bans children.

Don't rush into this. It's imperative that you get to know the area before you commit to anything. A rental might not be ideal, but it's not permanent, either.

Worse, we took my Boxer to a vet when we moved here who completely misdiagnosed her illness. Give yourself time to find the right neighborhood, the right neighbors and the right vet.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor
kathie66 and just bee, I'm taking your suggestions. Thanks for caring. I'll report back.