Trusted Contributor

Also, I have been keeping hair styling products that were okay but not great and using them on days that I did not have anything special planned. This plan has been cancelled. If I do this, it will take years to use up all of my so-so hair products. Instead, I am trying everything, again, to reevaluate it. If it is not great, I am tossing it. This week, I threw out a few things. Wasting money is punishment enough. I don't need to have a bad hair day, too.

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

Happy March my fellow Compactors!

I'm looking forward to another month of downsizing!

February was an okay month for me. I used up 6 items which included a couple of samples and gave a hair gel to my sister, so 7 items went out. My only purchases were Ponds Cold Cream Cleanser and 4 Suave shower gels. I absolutely didn't need the shower gels but they were on sale and with my coupons I only spend 44 cents on each one. So I'll probably save a couple for my kids to use and donate a couple to the local Rescue Mission. Every year my church has a toiletry drive for the Rescue Mission right before Easter and I'm planning on filling a bag with shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, shave gel, deodorant, etc. I have a pretty good stock pile of these basics in my basement from using coupons, so I just put the shower gels with these other items.

Technically with the shower gel purchase, 5 items came in and 7 went out, so I guess that's still better than nothing.

I went as far as I could in my master bedroom/closet for the ORC, so I also went thru both of my bathrooms last month and weeded those out. There wasn't a lot to toss, but a few items went.

This month I think I'll focus on the loft/office or the kitchen. I'd like to tackle my basement, but I'm going to wait until the weather warms up a litte bit for that, it's just too chilly down there right now.

Honored Contributor
On 3/1/2014 Dosey said:

My Physicians Formulas mascara is empty, so I replaced it with Maybelline Full and Soft. I bought one from CVS to try. The PF mascara was nice - very glossy and black, but it never dried completely.

Full 'N Soft washable is the only mascara I'll use. Drugstore.com had it recently for $5.15 a tube but I hesitated and missed the sale. Now I have to wait for another mascara deal and I'm on my final month before I have to toss the tube. Will I find a sale before April? (I cannot believe that the ComPact has turned me into Silas Marner.)

Lemme know how it works for you!

ETA:

Just checked drugstore.com and it's now down from $7 to $5.51 a tube. What to do, what to do...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

You'll know me by my empty cart.

I just realized I haven't ordered anything from drugstore.com since 12/12/12. Remember how I'd order a year's supply of sale mascara so I wouldn't have to think about mascara for an entire year? How I wouldn't have to browse stores or websites looking for a sale price when I needed a tube?

I had decided to stop stocking backups and just buy a tube as needed. But now I'm looking at that last order and I'm thinking: That method actually worked for me. It kept me out of the beauty aisles because I didn't need anything for an entire year.

How did I suddenly get so cheap? I swear Nancy Reagan is living in my head. I look at things and I just say no.

Are you feeling that?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Frequent Contributor

Stock up...sale & less time looking for the sale. I used to stock up (buying 3 at a time) on my CG mascara. Now I'm having trouble finding it b/c I use 'brown'. So my bet Just Bee-- buy 3. Thank you for the March Compact.

Honored Contributor
On 3/2/2014 kcc said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Stock up...sale & less time looking for the sale. I used to stock up (buying 3 at a time) on my CG mascara. Now I'm having trouble finding it b/c I use 'brown'. So my bet Just Bee-- buy 3. Thank you for the March Compact.

I hear ya! I was using "brownish black" for years and then it was discontinued. I was forced, like Amy Winehouse, to go back to black.

I'm thinking if I buy three I'll have the rest of 2014 covered.

You enabler, you. Wink

Frequent Contributor

:-)

Trusted Contributor

Moving on into my eight month of no home fragrance, bath & body, and beauty products no buy. I've only had to buy mascara, since I replace every three months.

Even with all the time that's passed, my stash is going down very slowly. It's ridiculous how large it had become. I'm focusing on using my favorite things first so I can enjoy them. If anything has to be tossed, I'd rather it be something I never really cared for.

I've sold a few discontinued fragrance sprays and lotions on eBay. There's a market out there for those kind of things.

Super Contributor

Happy March fellow Compactors. I had another good month. My hit list included:

1 Bare Minerals Lip Gloss

2 1.7oz Mini Skin So Soft Body lotions

1 24oz Bubble bath

1 10oz shower gel

1 .5oz perfume

1 1.5oz hand cream

So far I have used up 16 stash items this year. Hope I can keep up the momentum. Keep the support coming friends.

Respected Contributor

Hi March Compactors - haven't been posting, but try to read every week. Sometimes the thread overwhelms me when I see 300 posts, but try to read some weekly. I still have done well, again did not purchase at the BBW semi annual sale in January. That is three semi annual sales in a row! Got a few beauty items for my birthday in January. Feb - did not purchase any beauty, however, did buy some things at Kohl's (a tote and a few candles - two other weaknesses - but beauty is my first weakness - the 30% coupons are hard to pass on). Also, trying to continue with the One bag in, two bags out method. My stash is better than a year ago, but still many items, but continue to use up and gift some from my stash. I always have 2-3 shower gels in my shower at once for variety. Have not bought a TSV beauty item now in a year. The only beauty item I have to purchase soon is mascara. May buy one (finally used all the GWP mascara's I had), and try to make it to May-June for the 5 or 10 pack of Mally Mascara's. I may try the Full and Soft mascara noted above. Carry on ladies. One by one until they are done. Thanks, just bee for keeping us on track. The money I have saved is astonishing! No more mindless purchases. Also, no more "saving" the good stuff. Using it and enjoying it daily.