Respected Contributor
On 7/18/2014 just bee said:
On 7/17/2014 aprilskies said: So, my latest light bulb moment was this morning. It occurred to me how easy it is to lose sight of habits you want to create. Just this morning as I was emptying the dishwasher, it occurred to me I forgot all about the "15 minutes" and a host of other things. Yet, researching what to buy next and the best price is always on top of the mind. The mind is a tragic thing to waste. LOL So, back to the 15 mins.....

That 15-minute rule really works. It's surprising how many things we avoid because we think they will take an hour or more of our time.

But I don't have time right now to water all the houseplants!

But if I take 15 minutes... whoa! Look at that! It didn't take an hour after all -- and now I'm done!

I agree. It was doing wonders for my paperwork. Its definitely one I want to make a permanent "habit." That comic was hysterical. So true. The funny part is, I offered one of my brothers some things over the years and his response was " I dont need more junk a.ka. garbage, I have enough of my own." LOL
Respected Contributor
On 7/18/2014 DL2843 said: Hello All, I have been off visiting family. I had a great time. My church is having a rummage sale so I am trying to motivate myself to go through my stuff. I am still focused on using up my beauty stash. I found it was much easier last year when I was on a strict no buy. This year I need to replenish items that are running out and shopping for one opens up the desire to shop for more.
This is my problem as well. I open the door for one thing and the flood gate seems to burst. My spending overall is much improved but it is still a struggle, although, not a strong struggle like it was before. I, too, did much better on a no buy.
Trusted Contributor
Just Bee, you can find your personal colors at prettyyourworld.com.
Respected Contributor
Well, I got a lot done today! I had a mandatory training til 4, but came home and did dinner with hubby and have been doing lots since then. I went through the linen closet, went through my extra hand soaps (just tossed some old ones, and still have plenty for 2 years!), went through the cabinet under the sink in the spare bathroom, went through my magazine/book holder by my bed, and straightened up the office. Whew! I threw out a whole garbage bag of stuff. Feels so good!!! The only thing(s) I have left are: going through my MU, organizing my purses, going through my closet, and cleaning underneath my sink and organizing/donating some of these things. Honestly, I could probably do all that this week, so I will!! Oh! And I cleaned out the cabinets above the washer/dryer tonight. Once I get done with this, I'll have pared down to things I actually use, and won't have excess clutter, so it will just be maintenance! I would still like to get rid of more in our storage room upstairs, but it's about half of what we had before, and honestly, most of it is stuff we really won't part with, anyway. Old school books we might need for reference, gift wrap, Christmas/holidays decor, and cleaning stash. I can live with that. So, I hope this week I will have gone throughout he house and gotten rid of everything I might want to, and then I'll probably do it again next year. Smiley Happy Happy de-cluttering!
Honored Contributor
On 7/19/2014 dperry said: Just Bee, you can find your personal colors at prettyyourworld.com.

Nay, someone posted this site ages ago and it just confused me even more. I couldn't even figure out my season when there was just four. Remember Color Me Beautiful? {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Regular Contributor
Hello All. I had a great cleaning day yesterday. I had nothing planned so I started with one dresser drawer and just kept going. I threw out two bags and donated 3. I just wish the results were more visible. After 5 hours of work the house looks the same, because most of the work was stuff in dressers and closets. I am not an on-line shopper for my lotions and potions. I like the in store experience of smelling and trying the products. That is how the floodgates open. Have a good weekend and thanks for inspiring me to clean. My 15 minute challenge became 5 hours, but it is done. Now I can play.
Super Contributor

Hello - so glad to see this post, been thinking about you guys. Someone recently said something that caused me to realize I am shopping almost all the time now. Even if I'm not in a B&M store, I am online shopping, or watching 1 out of 4 shopping channels. Even if I'm not buying anything, I am still shopping. I need to curtail my endless surfing online and TV watching. Have others noticed this 24/7 shopping?

Trusted Contributor

Hi, everyone! It is always nice to read everyone's comments. Thank you for your kind words, dperry. We do have a great group of people here, don't we? Can you see us all living near each other? ... Uh oh! The UPS truck is at aprilskies' house. What did she order? INTERVENTION! INTERVENTION! ... It would be hilarious!!

The past week has been a struggle. My bladder went slightly nuts. I was afraid it was bleeding, again, because of the swelling and bubbly feeling. Fortunately, the medication kicked in after several days, and I started feeling better on Friday. Today has been a great day. Swelling gone. Thank goodness for maxi dresses. I could not tolerate pants.

There are a few fashion websites that I enjoy reading. I know. That doesn't help me, but sometimes I get ideas for doing something with what I already own. Anyway. One of the websites I like is alreadypretty.com. On this site, Sally posted a link to recoveringshopaholic.com. I swear to you it was like I wrote some of her posts. I started reading her most recent articles but decided to go to the archives and start from the beginning.

In one of the articles, Debbie quotes another blogger about eliminating clothes we keep in our closets but do not wear. Basically, she said when looking at a garment that you cannot let go, ask yourself under what circumstances would you choose to wear it instead of something that you love. That was all I needed to read. I went through my closet last night and tried on a bunch of tops, jackets, and cardigans. Anything that was in my closet but had not been worn in a year was tried on. Each time, I asked myself that question. By the time I was done, I had dozens of things folded, in bags, and ready to donate. I threw out some old shoes and donated several pairs. Pants did not need addressing because the last time I purged my closet I did a thorough job in this area and like and wear everything I have.

I still have a few things on hold. They are long-sleeve, layering turtlenecks. I am not sure about these. They are in great shape, but I am not always comfortable wearing two layers on my arms indoors. If the heat is set too high, I am miserable. Because these tops do not look good (to me) on their own, taking off a layer would not be an option. I bought these when it was trendy to wear a short-sleeve layer over a long-sleeve top.

Yesterday, that darned Sephora in JCP sent me a card for a free lip gloss. The card was also introducing some new lip glosses and lipsticks. My kryptonite. At the same time, that darned Ulta sent me a 20% coupon (only 10% off prestige brands). What are they trying to do to me? It's sabotage, I tell you. I have been doing so well using what I have.

I need to stir my spaghetti sauce. Back in a few.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor
On 7/20/2014 Fabby said:

Hello - so glad to see this post, been thinking about you guys. Someone recently said something that caused me to realize I am shopping almost all the time now. Even if I'm not in a B&M store, I am online shopping, or watching 1 out of 4 shopping channels. Even if I'm not buying anything, I am still shopping. I need to curtail my endless surfing online and TV watching. Have others noticed this 24/7 shopping?

How about all the demon "sale" emails we get? Ads that just show up in the mailbox? Every commercial? Hours of infomercials?

Click on any website and there are ads. We're surrounded.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor
On 7/20/2014 Dosey said:

I still have a few things on hold. They are long-sleeve, layering turtlenecks. I am not sure about these. They are in great shape, but I am not always comfortable wearing two layers on my arms indoors. If the heat is set too high, I am miserable. Because these tops do not look good (to me) on their own, taking off a layer would not be an option. I bought these when it was trendy to wear a short-sleeve layer over a long-sleeve top.

Uh-oh. Is that trend over already? Shhhhhh. Let's just keep that to ourselves, shall we?